[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

and cmos issues.. sounds like u need to delete caches.

cmos reset is what I meant. The cache can cause that? If I swap out the DSDT back to Mald0n's I have no issue if I run the DSDT latest one from this thread that has the _PSW removed from each USB section I get a cmos reset. Just 2 setting get reset but I end up with the Dell boot that wants me to hit F1 or F2.

I am looking into this further and let you know. Anyone else running the latest DSDT for the XPS M1530 and OSX 10.7.5/10.8.2

cmos reset is what I meant. The cache can cause that? If I swap out the DSDT back to Mald0n's I have no issue if I run the DSDT latest one from this thread that has the _PSW removed from each USB section I get a cmos reset. Just 2 setting get reset but I end up with the Dell boot that wants me to hit F1 or F2.

I am looking into this further and let you know. Anyone else running the latest DSDT for the XPS M1530 and OSX 10.7.5/10.8.2

Why not simply reimplement the blasted Method (_PSW) to remedy the aforementioned issues?

DSDTDarwinX.aml.zip

Why not simply reimplement the blasted Method (_PSW) to remedy the aforementioned issues?

DSDTDarwinX.aml.zip

I can try that to see if that is what is causing it. Good idea!! Would you be willing to try the latest XPS M1530 Any CPU to see if you have the same issue. That for sure would confirm it!!

Thanks

I can try that to see if that is what is causing it. Good idea!! Would you be willing to try the latest XPS M1530 Any CPU to see if you have the same issue. That for sure would confirm it!!

Thanks

That _PSW removal was in previous versions of OS-X required to allow sleep to work. I haven't tried putting it back on recent versions. If you try and sleep works, let us all know.

Immo

That _PSW removal was in previous versions of OS-X required to allow sleep to work. I haven't tried putting it back on recent versions. If you try and sleep works, let us all know.

Immo

i never removed the _PSW in my 1520 and had sleep working fine with wake on usb plugged in ac only in bios turned on.

i think hes suffering from the newer iasl error fix that did not need fixing results.

or he patched AppleRTC with one of 2 or 3 methods.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/253992-cmos-resets-on-restarts-after-sleep-and-wake-in-107-lion

i never removed the _PSW in my 1520 and had sleep working fine with wake on usb plugged in ac only in bios turned on.

i think hes suffering from the newer iasl error fix that did not need fixing results.

or he patched AppleRTC with one of 2 or 3 methods.

http://www.insanelym...ake-in-107-lion

When I insert back the _PSW into the Latest DSDT any CPU for the XPS M1530 I now get a kernel panic. I am using DSDTSE v1.4.3 to compile. Do I need to use a newer version of the DSDTSE compiler? Is there a way to swap out the IASL compiler in DSDTSE with the latest one unless the newer versions have the iasl compiler issue?

I am doing more tests. Never did the RTC patch for CMOS reset. I think something is screwy with either the RTC script in the DSDT or something else. WIll look into this.

Screenshot of panic:

Edited:

Well the lastest dsdt seems to be a bit flawed. I and to remove the IRQ {15} from the hpet section. Kernel Panic taken care of. Still working on sleep/wake with darkwake=0.

Edited once more:

Darkwake=0 and pmset -a hibernatemode 0 script took care of the sleep/wake issue. I put my DSDT back into place. cleared caches and the latest dsdt from this thread caused the cmos to reset. I will double check and confirm this Friday night or some time this weekend.

post-135888-0-44758400-1360906791_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

ahh i used 0,8,11 not 15

RTC i had it set to length 0x08 instead of 0x06 and second 0x02 i removed. (like a real macbook) or leave stock.. but do patch AppleRTC.kext for sleep issue.

your SMBUS is missing also. u can grab the one in my dsdt or on first page shows how to fix.

Thanks

As we have very similar machines, why not give my presumably viable DSDT.aml a go? Then, if your troubles do persist, you could at least exclude the DSDT.aml itself as a possible culprit. Just a thought....

As we have very similar machines, why not give my presumably viable DSDT.aml a go? Then, if your troubles do persist, you could at least exclude the DSDT.aml itself as a possible culprit. Just a thought....

@DarwinX

I am going to grab it soon. I know your DSDT and mine are probably very similar. Did you use dsdt patcher back in the day? Mald0n tweaked mine it a bit even after the patcher.

@LatinMcG,

I think Mald0n did the minimun on the smbus I will re-evaluate or just look at both yours and DarwinX's and make the changes. Is your DSDT located in one of your threads?

I also want to compare mine, yours and DarwinX's with sourcegear's diffmerg. I believe I can compare all 3 at the same time in a gui window!!

Thanks for the help!!

EDITED:

@DarwinX,

Your DSDT works great thanks the SMBUS error is gone. I can sleep/wake no issues no cmos reset.

I see the same thing I basically saw in either the latest DSDT from the first post or some dsdt I had laying around. You have a Method _PSW but only under USB2 and USB5. Vanilla DSDT has it under all USB's. Is this one of those fixes?

One more question. Any advantage using GTS over PTS for sleep? I used GTS way back from page 15,16,17 don't remember when a GTS method for sleep/wake was posted.

Thanks Again!!

@DarwinX

I am going to grab it soon. I know your DSDT and mine are probably very similar. Did you use dsdt patcher back in the day? Mald0n tweaked mine it a bit even after the patcher.

Your DSDT works great thanks the SMBUS error is gone. I can sleep/wake no issues no cmos reset.

I see the same thing I basically saw in either the latest DSDT from the first post or some dsdt I had laying around. You have a Method _PSW but only under USB2 and USB5. Vanilla DSDT has it under all USB's. Is this one of those fixes?

One more question. Any advantage using GTS over PTS for sleep? I used GTS way back from page 15,16,17 don't remember when a GTS method for sleep/wake was posted.

Thanks Again!!

I'm happy to hear that you have managed to resolve the issue. I believe that my current DSDT.aml is based on some version of the "any cpu DSDT for M1530" from the first post of this thread. Throughout the years, it has been constantly modified by myself as well as LatinMcG upon my request. Frankly, at this point I'm simply unable to recall as to what exactly was tweaked and why, I just know that it works well on my machine for both the 10.7.x and the 10.8.x.

While I am aware of the general concept, I am not a coder and as such i am unable to delve into the depths of the ACPI programming. LatinMcG and others are much better suited for the purpose.Personally, I do prefer and recommend the DSDT Editor.app for your DSDT tweaking needs.

DSDT Editor.app.zip

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/223205-dsdt-editor-and-patcher/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok guys... I'm running 10.6.8 on my m1330 with the Intel X3100. I'm running SL because I wasn't able to achieve QE/CI on 10.8.2, although everything else was working. 10.7.5 was hitting me with random freezes about two minutes into every boot that I just couldn't solve because they had no apparent source. So basically, SL is the only OS I could get working properly.

My problem now is that when I put my computer to sleep, it immediately wakes back up with a blank display. No backlight at all. I'm not able to turn it back on even using a hot corner, so I end up having to hard reboot. My question is this: using my current DSDT as a base, can I apply any of these patches to achieve working sleep? I'm willing to do the work, I just don't know which one and where to start. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is my fourth Hackintosh, and only the first that I ever tried to use a DSDT, so I'm kind of a noob at this. Thanks guys.

Ok guys... I'm running 10.6.8 on my m1330 with the Intel X3100. I'm running SL because I wasn't able to achieve QE/CI on 10.8.2, although everything else was working. 10.7.5 was hitting me with random freezes about two minutes into every boot that I just couldn't solve because they had no apparent source. So basically, SL is the only OS I could get working properly.

My problem now is that when I put my computer to sleep, it immediately wakes back up with a blank display. No backlight at all. I'm not able to turn it back on even using a hot corner, so I end up having to hard reboot. My question is this: using my current DSDT as a base, can I apply any of these patches to achieve working sleep? I'm willing to do the work, I just don't know which one and where to start. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is my fourth Hackintosh, and only the first that I ever tried to use a DSDT, so I'm kind of a noob at this. Thanks guys.

likely its x3100 issue.

i heard u have to use the intelx3100 or gma950 from 10.6.7

After a lot of playing around I finally got 10.8.3 to work. From what I can tell, the new AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext is not compatible with M1330. It took me a while to figure this out because the first time 10.8.3 booted fine, but after that, it would reboot during boot-up at the point where it's supposed to show the graphics. It booted properly once or twice after that. It turns out even when it did boot, the G-states were not working because I could not find anything G-state related in the console. Best case scenario, machine boots and graphics power states do not work, worst case, it restarts before finishing boot.

My solution: remove AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.

From what I see so far, graphics performance seems MUCH better in FireFox (Youtube, hardware acceleration stress test), but it was very quick testing and I haven't had time to play a game yet.

Edit: Portal 2 performance is much better with 10.8.3 than with 10.8.2!

After a lot of playing around I finally got 10.8.3 to work. From what I can tell, the new AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext is not compatible with M1330. It took me a while to figure this out because the first time 10.8.3 booted fine, but after that, it would reboot during boot-up at the point where it's supposed to show the graphics. It booted properly once or twice after that. It turns out even when it did boot, the G-states were not working because I could not find anything G-state related in the console. Best case scenario, machine boots and graphics power states do not work, worst case, it restarts before finishing boot.

My solution: remove AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.

From what I see so far, graphics performance seems MUCH better in FireFox (Youtube, hardware acceleration stress test), but it was very quick testing and I haven't had time to play a game yet.

rollback ??

rollback ??

No actually I deleted it. I remember DarwinX saying a while back that he used to just delete it before trying the AGPM patch. I did try reapplying the AGPM patch which didn't help. I never tried rolling it back. I figure it's probably very closely tied to the NVidia graphics drivers, and those are new. My temps look better than before with 10.8.2 with the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext and the performance is better also, so I'm wondering if that kext ever played right with M1330. I remember I had great video performance and lower temps with 10.8.0, then the performance went down and temps up with 10.8.1, and now the performance is up and temps are down again with 10.8.3.

If I'm not mistaken, the 8400M GS video bios is mixed in with the computer bios as opposed to in a dedicated video bios as in the 8600 GT. I've made attempts at dumping it but nothing knows how to do it. Another thing that may be a factor is that Apple never used the 8400 GS chip found in the M1330, but they did use the 8600M GT chip found in the M1530.

I'm afraid to mess with rolling back kexts at this time because everything is working well now (significantly better than 10.8.2) and I have limited time at the moment. If someone else would like to...

Immo

Some of you may have noticed if you used a generated serial to get iCloud, iMessages, etc. to work that iMessages stopped working in 10.8.2. I researched into the issue, and long story short, you can use Clover EFI boot loader in place of Chameleon to fix the issue.

Install using the installer found here:

http://cloverefiboot.sourceforge.net/

I installed it to my hard drive (of which I have a bootable backup) but a safer less obtrusive way is to install it to a USB drive.

Copy your DSDT.aml into /EFI/ACPI/patched/

Edit \EFI\config.plist.

Below is the config.plist I used:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SystemParameters</key>
<dict>
<key>boot-args</key>
<string>-v npci=0x2000</string>
<key>prev-lang:kbd</key>
<string>en:0</string>
<key>InjectSystemID</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>LegacyBoot</key>
<string>PBR</string>
</dict>
<key>Pointer</key>
<dict>
<key>Speed</key>
<string>8</string>
</dict>
<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>GraphicsInjector</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>PatchVBiosBytes</key>
<dict>
<key>Find</key>
<data>gAeoAqAF</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>gAeoAjgE</data>
</dict>
</dict>
<key>RtVariables</key>
<dict>
<key>MLB</key>
<string>XXXXXXXXXXX234567</string>
</dict>
<key>SMBIOS</key>
<dict>
<key>BiosVendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>BiosVersion</key>
<string>MB52.88Z.0088.B05.0904162222</string>
<key>Manufacturer</key>
<key>ProductName</key>
<string>MacBook5,2</string>
<key>Version</key>
<string>1.0</string>
<key>Family</key>
<string>MacBook</string>
<key>SerialNumber</key>
<string>XXXXXXXXXXX</string>
<key>BoardManufacturer</key>
<key>Board-ID</key>
<string>Mac-F22788AA</string>
<key>Mobile</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>LocationInChassis</key>
<string>Part Component</string>
<key>ChassisManufacturer</key>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Replace the two places that have XXXXXXXXXXX with your Champlist generated serial number.

So far everything seems to work the same as before except my memory speed gets reported as 800MHz (I have 800Mhz ram in there but the motherboard runs it at 667 MHz), and restart seems more reliable now. However I did find it crashed after letting it sit on for a long time. I don't know if it's a fluke or if this will continue.

EDIT

Once when I woke my computer up from sleep (I sleep it frequently), USB stopped working until I shutdown and restarted the computer. It only happened once so far, but it's never happened with Chameleon and Mountain Lion. I remember that being an issue ages ago (Snow Leopard?)

EDIT 2

Had another crash. Rolled back to Chameleon and had another crash! I wonder if the crashes are caused by the new AppleHDA or AppleSmartBatteryManager as opposed to Clover...

EDIT 3

Since re-installing Clover and rolling VoodooHDA back to 2.61, I haven't seen a crash.

Immo

I'm using clover on my P5W DH Deluxe for almost 4 months now and I really prefer it over chameleon. But on the M1530 I have no luck with clover at all.

I tried it several times with new HD installations and also with USB-Sticks - no success.

When booting with USB-Stick the cover menu won't show any of the systems or partitions on the M1530s HD.

When booting clover from the internal HD it just won't reach the clover menu, instead after a while it goes to a "Boot Maintenance Menu".

Immo, is there any secret how to get it working? Something in BIOS settings maybe?

EDIT: weird thing is when I boot from the USB-Stick clover will show the systems on the HD when it is connected via USB (I pulled the HD out of the M1530 and connect it via USB-Adaptor).

It also works to boot from HD with clover without USB-Stick, when the HD is connected via USB only. It just won't work when it is connected internally. But no problems at all with chameleon - this is really weird and smells like a BIOS setting. But the M1530 BIOS is so limited I can't find anything relevant.

EDIT3: Seems this guy has the same problems - the video shows the menu which shows up on my M1530 when trying to run clover from internal HD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq-_E35joX8

I'm using clover on my P5W DH Deluxe for almost 4 months now and I really prefer it over chameleon. But on the M1530 I have no luck with clover at all.

I tried it several times with new HD installations and also with USB-Sticks - no success.

When booting with USB-Stick the cover menu won't show any of the systems or partitions on the M1530s HD.

When booting clover from the internal HD it just won't reach the clover menu, instead after a while it goes to a "Boot Maintenance Menu".

Immo, is there any secret how to get it working? Something in BIOS settings maybe?

EDIT: weird thing is when I boot from the USB-Stick clover will show the systems on the HD when it is connected via USB (I pulled the HD out of the M1530 and connect it via USB-Adaptor).

It also works to boot from HD with clover without USB-Stick, when the HD is connected via USB only. It just won't work when it is connected internally. But no problems at all with chameleon - this is really weird and smells like a BIOS setting. But the M1530 BIOS is so limited I can't find anything relevant.

EDIT3: Seems this guy has the same problems - the video shows the menu which shows up on my M1530 when trying to run clover from internal HD.

Couple things to check:

1. Is your bios configured for hard drives in SATA AHCI mode or ATA mode? Mine is in AHCI.

2. In the Clover installer, under customize, make sure you have an appropriate "Clover EFI" option chosen under "Customize". For my machine it's

"BIOS MBR boot0hfs". The "UEFI boot" option will not work on M1330/M1530 because these machines are too old. Even so, I found it selected in the installer once by default when I was installing on top of Chameleon.

Immo

Couple things to check:

1. Is your bios configured for hard drives in SATA AHCI mode or ATA mode? Mine is in AHCI.

2. In the Clover installer, under customize, make sure you have an appropriate "Clover EFI" option chosen under "Customize". For my machine it's

"BIOS MBR boot0hfs". The "UEFI boot" option will not work on M1330/M1530 because these machines are too old. Even so, I found it selected in the installer once by default when I was installing on top of Chameleon.

Immo

Yes, AHCI and BIOS MBR boot0hfs - what is your BIOS version?

Yes, AHCI and BIOS MBR boot0hfs - what is your BIOS version?

A15, but mine's an M1330 and the two machines do have significant differences. Does anyone else with an M1530 use Clover? I don't recall anyone commenting that they use it.

Possibly of interest, I first installed Clover V2 R1000 (possibly older), and now use R1151 and have used a couple versions in between. It updates quite frequently.

Immo

A15, but mine's an M1330 and the two machines do have significant differences. Does anyone else with an M1530 use Clover? I don't recall anyone commenting that they use it.

Possibly of interest, I first installed Clover V2 R1000 (possibly older), and now use R1151 and have used a couple versions in between. It updates quite frequently.

Immo

I've update to A15 but that does not help. Still same weird problem that it works fine when connected as USB drive. I can't count how often I've reinitialized the HD during the last two days. I'll try an older version of clover now.

Your drive uses GUID Partition table right? Could you please quickly describe step by step how exactly you have installed clover? Maybe I've missed some important step.

I've update to A15 but that does not help. Still same weird problem that it works fine when connected as USB drive. I can't count how often I've reinitialized the HD during the last two days. I'll try an older version of clover now.

Your drive uses GUID Partition table right? Could you please quickly describe step by step how exactly you have installed clover? Maybe I've missed some important step.

Yes I do use GUID. If you ran the installer and specified "BIOS MBR boot0hfs" then you've done everything I have. Do you have a Windows partition? Is the OS-X partition you're trying to boot flagged as active?

http://www.insanelym...disk-in-macosx/

Also make sure you put the DSDT in the proper location and edit the config file as described in my previous post.

Immo