Snow Leopard on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P Vanilla 64 Bit Kernel

190 posts in this topic

Ah ok, now it's clear! :D In fact i've noticed that in System Profiler it says that there is 1 processor and 4 cores! Ok they became 8 logical cores thanks to HT but i didn't understand way on my Macbook, that has 2 cores, in activity monitor are both displayed and here they don't. But 8 cores are too much to stay in the same little windows! :unsure:

ya above 4 cores, the tiny window shows the average cpu load :)

What string should i use to swap the "unknow" with "Core i7 920" in 'info about this system'? Should i change strings in the smbios.plist file?

use this AboutThisMac.pkg.zip

it changes the string automatically

About the sound card i was wrong, or better i got an Audigy and an Audigy2 too, but my last sound card is an SB X-Fi Fatality (with the front panel) but i don't think there is kext to use this card, i'll do some searches!...

have a look at this

Why do you copy your 'com.apple.Boot.plist' in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration? It's not sufficent in the /Extra folder?

if your com.apple.Boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration is REALLY vanilla and untouched, it's okay to place it in /Extra only, it's just for safety :)

That's a piece of cake. Almost every Apple native hardware will work in 64 bit mode, okay there's no 64bit driver for atheros wifi however broadcom is 64 bit (and more stable for what it's worth)

anyway, Realtek RTL8139/810x based nics should work fine in 64 bit mode, optionally you will have to edit the info.plist and add the right id's into it.

for your ATI 4870 512mb card, just follow netkas steps here and install his ATI package.

cheers

:P

hey

finally got my board back from gigabyte

tried booting into snow form the disc i made following the guide.

i used a snow leopard install to set up the hard drive for my UD4P

i get the bootloader i choose snow and get the gray apple logo and the spinning wheel.

After about 20 seconds the fan on my video card spins really fast for a second then stops.

The wheel keeps spinning under the apple logo for another 5 seconds or so then the video card fan goes crazy and spins flat out resulting in a black screen with the message entering power saving mode on the monitor...fan continues to spin really loud.

tried booting in -x same thing...-v resulted in exactly the same thing loaded all kexts got to waiting for DSMOS, fan span a bit then 5 seconds later black screen and fan spinning like crazy.

Now...should i have installed the netkas ATI package before trying to boot into snow? or is there something else i have missed.

thanks in advance for any help

keen to get this up and running

hey

finally got my board back from gigabyte

tried booting into snow form the disc i made following the guide.

i used a snow leopard install to set up the hard drive for my UD4P

i get the bootloader i choose snow and get the gray apple logo and the spinning wheel.

After about 20 seconds the fan on my video card spins really fast for a second then stops.

The wheel keeps spinning under the apple logo for another 5 seconds or so then the video card fan goes crazy and spins flat out resulting in a black screen with the message entering power saving mode on the monitor...fan continues to spin really loud.

tried booting in -x same thing...-v resulted in exactly the same thing loaded all kexts got to waiting for DSMOS, fan span a bit then 5 seconds later black screen and fan spinning like crazy.

Now...should i have installed the netkas ATI package before trying to boot into snow? or is there something else i have missed.

thanks in advance for any help

keen to get this up and running

try to boot with kernel flags "-x32 arch=x86_64 -v"

disable graphics enabler if it's active

if your com.apple.Boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration is REALLY vanilla and untouched, it's okay to place it in /Extra only, it's just for safety :D

What do you mean? If my Boot.plist in original one? If so, yes it is.

try to boot with kernel flags "-x32 arch=x86_64 -v"

disable graphics enabler if it's active

hey thanks for the reply

tried what you recommended but no luck same thing fan spins at 100%.

even went through and prepared a fresh install following the guide. same thing.

so out of curiosity just to make sure i followed the guide well i used the video card out of my wifes comp Nvidia Gt9800 1024mb and you wouldn't believe it it worked

internet working

didn't try sound as i was in a hurry to go to work

64 bit working

only thing i noticed is that the mouse was a little sluggish.

so i guess the only thing i have left to say is a BIG thank you for your guide and all the help you provided myself and others who have asked you questions.

i'm surprised there arent many people with this MB or maybe there not saying anything

if you work out how to get the ATI card going let me know lol

.thanks again

hey thanks for the reply

tried what you recommended but no luck same thing fan spins at 100%.

even went through and prepared a fresh install following the guide. same thing.

so out of curiosity just to make sure i followed the guide well i used the video card out of my wifes comp Nvidia Gt9800 1024mb and you wouldn't believe it it worked

internet working

didn't try sound as i was in a hurry to go to work

64 bit working

only thing i noticed is that the mouse was a little sluggish.

so i guess the only thing i have left to say is a BIG thank you for your guide and all the help you provided myself and others who have asked you questions.

i'm surprised there arent many people with this MB or maybe there not saying anything

if you work out how to get the ATI card going let me know lol

.thanks again

shame on me,

it has to be

"-x32 arch=x86 -v"

or

"-x64 arch=x86_64 -v"

and disable graphics enabler if it's active

try both boot options as method of elimination and see how it works best, did you already try this post? it should get your ATI card running fine.

EDIT: http://netkas.org/?p=245

from today :(

All this stuff is too complicated. I found an easy guide that walks you through step by step. I also give a recap at a 30,000 foot level so that complete newbies get an overall picture of what has to happen.

THIS IS A 30,000 Foot view of the install process, meaning, over-arching steps for the guide found here.

It was very easy with three main things:

1)Another Mac

2)An External Hard Drive

3)The X58 Mobo Patch Installer

4)This Guide (gotta give props)

Basically you’re installing a $29 copy of Snow Leopard onto the external hard-drive from the existing Mac.

Then, you’re patching the new install with the X58 Patch Installer.

Then you install the hard drive in your system.

Easy as one two three. If only someone would spell that out for us complete newbies. Yeah the guide says that but not in 30,000 ft. view.

I'll have a post up real quick with a comprehensive guide with pictures.

Oh and everything worked on startup. Netgear Wireless card, on-board ethernet, dual-monitor support for 9800 GT and sound all works.

My Specs below...

All this stuff is too complicated. I found an easy guide that walks you through step by step. I also give a recap at a 30,000 foot level so that complete newbies get an overall picture of what has to happen.

THIS IS A 30,000 Foot view of the install process, meaning, over-arching steps for the guide found here.

It was very easy with three main things:

1)Another Mac

2)An External Hard Drive

3)The X58 Mobo Patch Installer

4)This Guide (gotta give props)

Basically you’re installing a $29 copy of Snow Leopard onto the external hard-drive from the existing Mac.

Then, you’re patching the new install with the X58 Patch Installer.

Then you install the hard drive in your system.

Easy as one two three. If only someone would spell that out for us complete newbies. Yeah the guide says that but not in 30,000 ft. view.

I'll have a post up real quick with a comprehensive guide with pictures.

Oh and everything worked on startup. Netgear Wireless card, on-board ethernet, dual-monitor support for 9800 GT and sound all works.

My Specs below...

if you belong to the chosen people, who are not using a gtx 260+ card, maybe x58 mobo patcher & co will work ;)

btw all that stuff won't help you if you got the irq problem which ends up in the spinning wheel when you are using more than 1 hdd with intel ich10r.

it would be great if there was an one-for-all-easy-guide, but there's not :(

if you belong to the chosen people, who are not using a gtx 260+ card, maybe x58 mobo patcher & co will work ;)

btw all that stuff won't help you if you got the irq problem which ends up in the spinning wheel when you are using more than 1 hdd with intel ich10r.

it would be great if there was an one-for-all-easy-guide, but there's not :unsure:

I follow you bert, I just needed a 30,000 ft view of what was happening. I didn't know anything about Mac so I just needed to know what I was doing. I was naive in thinking that I didn't need a Mac already. That's the whole reason I'm building one. Anyway all this stuff on here is mega-useful and I plan to use it extensively on my next build.

BTW I am using three hard drives on my Hackintosh that I simply unplugged from my windows system and plugged into the Hackintosh, plus one that I use vis an external Sata via USB. No problems.

Thanks for all the great stuff!!

I follow you bert, I just needed a 30,000 ft view of what was happening. I didn't know anything about Mac so I just needed to know what I was doing. I was naive in thinking that I didn't need a Mac already. That's the whole reason I'm building one. Anyway all this stuff on here is mega-useful and I plan to use it extensively on my next build.

BTW I am using three hard drives on my Hackintosh that I simply unplugged from my windows system and plugged into the Hackintosh, plus one that I use vis an external Sata via USB. No problems.

Thanks for all the great stuff!!

you're welcome ;) btw i'm working on an uncomplicated snow leopard EX58+core i7 "universal" install DVD :unsure:

shame on me,

it has to be

"-x32 arch=x86 -v"

or

"-x64 arch=x86_64 -v"

and disable graphics enabler if it's active

try both boot options as method of elimination and see how it works best, did you already try this post? it should get your ATI card running fine.

EDIT: http://netkas.org/?p=245

from today :(

hey thanks again for the reply

here's where i'm at.

firstly i run two machines one i use for gaming, internet downloads, music and every day {censored}.

and my UD4P machine that i strictly use for photoshop work. i make psd templates that i sell on ebay and also photo retouching.

i wanted to run snow on it to see if i can get photoshop to run even faster, i work with very big files and any more speed is helpful.

The UD4P had the ati card in it and my other machine had a GTX275.

so last night i put the GTX275 onto the UD4P machine and it worked like a charm. booted straight away with no issues.

ideally i would prefer to have the ATI card on snow leopard and leave my GTX275 for the gaming i do.

so i will give the ati card another try

correct me if i'm wrong...i just need to change the 10.3 boot file with 10.4 and leave the com.apple.boot.plist alone as you had it?

once again thank you for all your help

PS: i tried the guide itsjared linked to earlier and that got me no where. yours Sh**s all over it.

also dual booting with win7 works perfectly

Hey there,

Great post!

I have the EX-58 UD5 running with GTX-260 as well.

Instead of the VodooHDA I am using the native AppleHDA with a legacyHelper Kext (had to patch0 my DSDT so that the ALC889a would be recognized).

My issue though is the network adapter.

The psystar RTL KEXT is only properly running with the 32bit kernel. As soon as I try to switch to 64bit then the NIC would not really work anymore. Good indication for that is whether or not DHCP works or not.

That's why I got myself a Marvel Yukon based DLINK 530T PCI add-in NIC and used that with the skge 0.2f (from this board). 64bit would work but the performance would be not acceptable (<10mbps on a 1000mbps link).

So here I am back on 32bit kernel and really desperate in getting this to work as it should.

I just saw that Realtek released a MacOS driver kit about 4 weeks ago and my hopes are that I simply need to tell SL to use those AppleIONetworking driver (the Realtek drivers are updating the 8169 plugin KEXT) by patching my DSDT. The question though is: HOW? :-)

What's your solution for the NIC issue? Since your post-subject tells me that you're running 64bit - how do you do it?

Cheers!

Hi, im new in the OSX86 scene... first of all, great work bertmann, thx alot!

I had some problems with your tutorial, but after several hours it works almost perfect.

for example, audio didn't work. I had to delete appleHDA and install VoodooHDA with kext helper, before that I spend hours to get it work like you described it (and yes I always updated permissions etc with kext utility). Anyway, now the only thing is the network issue. There are severeal posts that there is a kext file for 64bit.

Where can I find it? I searched a bit in the forums, but I didn't find some. Can you give me a link please, even if it's a bit buggy (btw what exactly is buggy then)? I just need internet to not switching everytime between my notebook, USB stick and my pc.

maybe next month I buy a pci lan card and probably a wlan stick too, what hardware should I take for my Hackintosh? your information about that is a bit general :)

I've found this list, but there's none information about 64bit.

btw greetings from Germany to Austria :)

Hey bertmannaustria

I'm back from the stupid Busniess trip

ok .. today I've been play with installation

all method everything

Up to now ... I can do a "within 10.5 to install 10.6" method

and using only fakesmc and chermleom ... that's all , nothing else nothing more (of couse without sound and lan and graphics , time machine still don't work . sleep fail as always did . restart hanged ....)

but then .. my last try .. I install 10.6. and install only EFI string for ATI 4850 (fulling working )

then update 10.6.1 ... wa la .... not booting up haha

will try one more time with a -f -v and see what happens before headding to bed

so here's my news ... how's yours ?

hey thanks again for the reply

here's where i'm at.

firstly i run two machines one i use for gaming, internet downloads, music and every day {censored}.

and my UD4P machine that i strictly use for photoshop work. i make psd templates that i sell on ebay and also photo retouching.

i wanted to run snow on it to see if i can get photoshop to run even faster, i work with very big files and any more speed is helpful.

The UD4P had the ati card in it and my other machine had a GTX275.

so last night i put the GTX275 onto the UD4P machine and it worked like a charm. booted straight away with no issues.

ideally i would prefer to have the ATI card on snow leopard and leave my GTX275 for the gaming i do.

so i will give the ati card another try

correct me if i'm wrong...i just need to change the 10.3 boot file with 10.4 and leave the com.apple.boot.plist alone as you had it?

once again thank you for all your help

PS: i tried the guide itsjared linked to earlier and that got me no where. yours Sh**s all over it.

also dual booting with win7 works perfectly

hi, ya just download the boot file and the kext from netkas' blog (i love him :) )

install the kext into /S/L/E, not into /E/E, repair kext permissions, kext cache etc and be sure that in your com.apple.boot.plist, the graphicsenabler is still set to "y" or "yes" and don't use efi strings in it.

now your ati card should work fine ... but at this time, i can say that it's working with ONE card only because i'm more into nvidia and i only have one ati card around, but i'm gonna test it soon :(

Hey there,

Great post!

I have the EX-58 UD5 running with GTX-260 as well.

Instead of the VodooHDA I am using the native AppleHDA with a legacyHelper Kext (had to patch0 my DSDT so that the ALC889a would be recognized).

My issue though is the network adapter.

The psystar RTL KEXT is only properly running with the 32bit kernel. As soon as I try to switch to 64bit then the NIC would not really work anymore. Good indication for that is whether or not DHCP works or not.

That's why I got myself a Marvel Yukon based DLINK 530T PCI add-in NIC and used that with the skge 0.2f (from this board). 64bit would work but the performance would be not acceptable (<10mbps on a 1000mbps link).

So here I am back on 32bit kernel and really desperate in getting this to work as it should.

don't use dhcp, choose half duplex and try it with 100mbit, it it works you can change it to 1000mbit, it that works also try dhcp again, i know this problem, sometimes it can be solved that way but most of the time it's not working because of IRQ problems and bad written kernel extensions

I just saw that Realtek released a MacOS driver kit about 4 weeks ago and my hopes are that I simply need to tell SL to use those AppleIONetworking driver (the Realtek drivers are updating the 8169 plugin KEXT) by patching my DSDT. The question though is: HOW? :-)

are you sure? i only found new released drivers for tiger and leopard, not for snow leopard.

you have to imagine, if your card isn't an apple native card, you can patch your dsdt until the sun goes down

the dsdt only tell the os where the NIC is and what to do if the os needs it and stuff. it's like a city map. if it's a vanilla card, it should work and with chameleon it should work es en0 too (for some licencing thing, time machine, bonjour etc.). Sometimes you have to insert your hardware and vendor id into the info.plist of the needed kext too.

What's your solution for the NIC issue? Since your post-subject tells me that you're running 64bit - how do you do it?

i'm using a 3com 8139 based nic, it's vanilla and works with 32/64 bit kernel just fine.

btw post whenever you want if something isn't clear

Hey bertmannaustria

I'm back from the stupid Busniess trip

ok .. today I've been play with installation

all method everything

Up to now ... I can do a "within 10.5 to install 10.6" method

and using only fakesmc and chermleom ... that's all , nothing else nothing more (of couse without sound and lan and graphics , time machine still don't work . sleep fail as always did . restart hanged ....)

but then .. my last try .. I install 10.6. and install only EFI string for ATI 4850 (fulling working )

then update 10.6.1 ... wa la .... not booting up haha

will try one more time with a -f -v and see what happens before headding to bed

so here's my news ... how's yours ?

hi an welcome back :D

the 10.6.1 update includes some graphic driver updates, maybe you have to use the new bootfile and kext for ati from netkas and always remember, don't forget to use your patched dsdt :)

i'm fine, my hackys are running and everythings good ;)

hi Crunk,

Hi, im new in the OSX86 scene... first of all, great work bertmann, thx alot!

I had some problems with your tutorial, but after several hours it works almost perfect.

for example, audio didn't work. I had to delete appleHDA and install VoodooHDA with kext helper, before that I spend hours to get it work like you described it (and yes I always updated permissions etc with kext utility).

that's weird, did you patch your own dsdt? because i changed everything that makes it work with voodoohda even if applehda is present ... and what's your bios version? because if it's an issue of using an older/newer bios, i would add it to my guide for sure.

Anyway, now the only thing is the network issue. There are severeal posts that there is a kext file for 64bit.

Where can I find it? I searched a bit in the forums, but I didn't find some. Can you give me a link please, even if it's a bit buggy (btw what exactly is buggy then)? I just need internet to not switching everytime between my notebook, USB stick and my pc.

RealtekR1000_1.8.1.kext.zipRTGMac_v2.0.3.zip

but be carefull, the RealtekR1000.kext should work in 64 bit mode but not using DHCP, the RTGMac thingi is the newest driver written by realtek, i'm gonna test it tonight btw i'm working on a completely rewritten kernel extension for this onboard nic but it costs some time and sometimes i need to sleep :D

maybe next month I buy a pci lan card and probably a wlan stick too, what hardware should I take for my Hackintosh? your information about that is a bit general :(

I've found this list, but there's none information about 64bit.

if you want to use a wlan card like a real airport card, then you have to use a broadcom based wlan card. all my atheros cards only got 32bit support even the retail wlan cards from Sonnet etc.

usb sticks most like not to work as airport, many of them got a ralink or realtek chipset, at this time i don't know if there is a 64bit driver available, but i don't think so.

for me the only way was to buy a "mini pci express to pci"-adapter and put in a broadcom wlan card :) ... weird but it works fine in 64 bit mode. i'm gonna post a list of working nics and wlan cards as soon as possible.

btw greetings from Germany to Austria :(

hehe danke und ebenfalls, ich wollte ja schon auf deutsch posten aber das sehen die leute hier nicht gern :D

no I didn't patch my own dsdt, should I? :D

after installation I updated my bios from F2 to F8, so I can't really answer to that (everything else worked fine, strange).

For network, I don't really need DHCP. If thats the only tragic problem I can life with that :rolleyes:

So for my pc a standard broadcom pci lan card would work with SL 64bit? ok thanks for that.

I thought about a WLAN stick for my notebook. Now I think to just replace my Intel miniPCI express card with a broadcom one, i hope it works fine with Win7.

Des Problem an Deutsch ist eben dass es kaum einer versteht, ist schon gut so dass alle auf Englisch schreiben, auch wenns nicht immer 100% korrekt ist :blink:

servus :P

no I didn't patch my own dsdt, should I? :D

after installation I updated my bios from F2 to F8, so I can't really answer to that. Maybe it's because of the dsdt (but everything else worked fine).

yes you should patch your dsdt anyway :)

your acpi table is compiled to work with windows, even if you are using linux, most of the time you have to patch your dsdt

For network, I don't really need DHCP. If thats the only tragic problem I can life with that ;)
there are more than issues with irq only, sometimes you have to reconnect by hand, disable/enable nic, unplug cable, etc.
So for my pc a standard broadcom pci lan card would work with SL 64bit? ok thanks for that.

I thought about a WLAN stick for my notebook. Now I think to just replace my Intel miniPCI express card with a broadcom one, i hope it works fine with Win7.

snow leopard likes broadcom nics, so it should work fine maybe with adding hardware id into the right kernel extension. maybe realtek bring us 64bit support for their usb wlan sticks soon. sure you can exchange your minipcie card to a broadcom one but only if you are NOT running on intel centrino platform because most laptops got a bios-lock to work with intel cards only :rolleyes:
Des Problem an Deutsch ist eben dass es kaum einer versteht, ist schon gut so dass alle auf Englisch schreiben, auch wenns nicht immer 100% korrekt ist ;)

genau, allerdings kann ich manche dinge weder auf deutsch noch auf englisch verständlich erklären :rolleyes:

I have a LG R510...

damn I knew it, otherwise it would be to easy... :)

Anyway I test it at home with an Atheros minipci card, let's hope LG isn't THAT centrino conform :D

hi, it doesn't belong to conformity, it's just stupidity :P

centrino platform would work with every brand of mpcie card

once i had a toshiba satellite pspa3e with f*ckin centrino platform, i tried atheros and broadcom mpcie cards but no success.

then i bought a cheap delock card with ralink chipset, it worked great with my toshiba but not as "native" airport so i had to use a special software for connectiong to my network (the software isn't nice)

good luck

hi, ya just download the boot file and the kext from netkas' blog (i love him :) )

install the kext into /S/L/E, not into /E/E, repair kext permissions, kext cache etc and be sure that in your com.apple.boot.plist, the graphicsenabler is still set to "y" or "yes" and don't use efi strings in it.

now your ati card should work fine ... but at this time, i can say that it's working with ONE card only because i'm more into nvidia and i only have one ati card around, but i'm gonna test it soon :(

i think i'm starting to love netkas too...lol

anyway i just redid a hard drive using the new boot file form netkas

i didn't use the kext as one post on his site said you don't need them for 4870 cards.

put the hard drive into the UD4P machine and it booted with out any issues no loud fan nothing

so again thank you.

only thing i noticed is the mouse is not smooth

this happens on three cards i tried... ATI 4870...Nvidia 9800 gtx and GTX275

could it be the size of the screen...27" dell...as the 9800gtx on my wife's comp is very smooth.