Snow Leopard on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P Vanilla 64 Bit Kernel

190 posts in this topic

Thank you for the updates BERT!

What are the differences between the old kexts and the new ones?

I see some of them are gone and you a added a few new kexts.

Also should I replace the dsdt.aml file in the root and in the folder /Extra with the one you provided (I have the same mobo and did install the new audio kext to /E/E)?

Thank you!

Thank you for the updates BERT!

What are the differences between the old kexts and the new ones?

I see some of them are gone and you a added a few new kexts.

Also should I replace the dsdt.aml file in the root and in the folder /Extra with the one you provided (I have the same mobo and did install the new audio kext to /E/E)?

Thank you!

the differences between the old and the new kexts are:

• i'm not using openhaltrestart anymore :) instead i'm using the EvOreboot.kext (works better on that board).
  • SleepEnabler.kext changed for 10.6.2
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext changes for 10.6.2 too

you can use my patched dsdt if you want to use your sound output as "buit-in" with alc8889a-kext, for me it is working good ... like voodoo.hda but anyway, it's just a cosmetic thing :)

the differences between the old and the new kexts are:

• i'm not using openhaltrestart anymore :( instead i'm using the EvOreboot.kext (works better on that board).
  • SleepEnabler.kext changed for 10.6.2
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext changes for 10.6.2 too

you can use my patched dsdt if you want to use your sound output as "buit-in" with alc8889a-kext, for me it is working good ... like voodoo.hda but anyway, it's just a cosmetic thing :)

Thank you for the quick response.

What does the HPETDevice.kext do?

And what was the "Disable.kext" for?

Should I put the new dsdt file in the root AND the /E/E folder? Or ONLY in the root?

Might be stupid questions but I really don't know.

Thank you so much! This has really helped me a lot so far!

Thank you for the quick response.

What does the HPETDevice.kext do?

And what was the "Disable.kext" for?

Should I put the new dsdt file in the root AND the /E/E folder? Or ONLY in the root?

Might be stupid questions but I really don't know.

Thank you so much! This has really helped me a lot so far!

• HPETDevice.kext fixes an error with IRQ without editing the DSDT.
  • Disabler.kext replaced by NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, it blocks the powermanagement from beeing loaded because of kernel panic (i will fix it someday, in the meantime use NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and delete Disabler.kext)
  • you can put the dsdt.aml file into root or /E/E or in both places :) but once again, if you are using VoodooHDA.kext for audio right now and you want to stay with it, you don't need my new dsdt.aml file nor alc889a.kext

I'd like to install Windows 7 on a seperate hard drive.

Are there any precautions I need to take?

Will the MBR overwrite my chameleon boot loader?

I've read somewhere that all you have to do is unplug your snow leopard drive, install windows, plug your SL drive back in and reinstall chameleon. Is this correct?

Thank you!

I'd like to install Windows 7 on a seperate hard drive.

Are there any precautions I need to take?

Will the MBR overwrite my chameleon boot loader?

I've read somewhere that all you have to do is unplug your snow leopard drive, install windows, plug your SL drive back in and reinstall chameleon. Is this correct?

Thank you!

holy {censored}, windows 7? :)

ya just unplug your sl hdd, install w.i.n.d.o.w.s. on the other hdd. replug sl hdd.

you don't have to reinstall chameleon just boot from the sl hdd, at chameleon boot promt you can choose the windows hdd to boot from

that's it :P

edit: i don't hate windows. i'm using it too for playing assassins creed :)

holy {censored}, windows 7? :D

ya just unplug your sl hdd, install w.i.n.d.o.w.s. on the other hdd. replug sl hdd.

you don't have to reinstall chameleon just boot from the sl hdd, at chameleon boot promt you can choose the windows hdd to boot from

that's it :P

edit: i don't hate windows. i'm using it too for playing assassins creed :P

Thank you! That's easier than I thought.

One more thing... :)

In order to get my EVGA GTX 275 working do I have to add any kexts (like NVEnabler) to /S/L/E or should I be fine if I followed your guide correctly? :P

Again, thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it!

Thank you! That's easier than I thought.

One more thing... :P

In order to get my EVGA GTX 275 working do I have to add any kexts (like NVEnabler) to /S/L/E or should I be fine if I followed your guide correctly? :P

Again, thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it!

you're welcome :P

no, don't use an injector kext, just use the graphics enabler in your com.apple.boot.plist

:P

Hi again ;)

I saw your kext update for 6.2, now I wonder which kexts used to replace and/or delete.

Should I just replace my old Extra folder with your new kexts?

for example there is no more AMCC3ware9000.kext, AppleRTC.kext.

Also do I need to save your version of IONetworkingFamily.kext (for Onboard LAN) in S/L/E folder, and replace it again after 6.2 update?

thanks and grettings

Hi again :D

I saw your kext update for 6.2, now I wonder which kexts used to replace and/or delete.

Should I just replace my old Extra folder with your new kexts?

for example there is no more AMCC3ware9000.kext, AppleRTC.kext.

Also do I need to save your version of IONetworkingFamily.kext (for Onboard LAN) in S/L/E folder, and replace it again after 6.2 update?

thanks and grettings

hi,

you can

delete

• AMCC3ware9000.kext (was just my raid controller driver)
  • AppleRTC.kext (no longer needed, it's fixed in dsdt.aml)

replace

• fakesmc.kext (newer version)
  • HPETDevice.kext (fixes IRQ troubles)
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (10.6.2 updated to work with vanilla kernel)
  • SleepEnabler.kext (10.6.2 updated to work with vanilla kernel)
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext (so we all hate psystar now :) ... use EvOreboot.kext)

IONetworkingFamily.kext -> use your old one, i'm gonna upload a updated version tomorrow also the newest fakesmc.kext from last friday

• AMCC3ware9000.kext (was just my raid controller driver)

Hey bert!

What Raid controller card are you using?

Planning on getting one pretty soon. If you don't like yours do you have any recommendations :(

Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry...never mind. I just read your first post!

Hey bert!

What Raid controller card are you using?

Planning on getting one pretty soon. If you don't like yours do you have any recommendations :P

Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry...never mind. I just read your first post!

we hate psystar and we hate 3ware for not bringing us 64bit drivers :(

i prefer ARECA Raid Controllers because they work ootb in 32/64 bit mode

we hate psystar and we hate 3ware for not bringing us 64bit drivers ^_^

i prefer ARECA Raid Controllers because they work ootb in 32/64 bit mode

So if I were to get an ARECA Raid controller I would not even need your old AMCC3ware9000.kext?

Would I have to make any other changes or does it indeed just work?

Thank you

So if I were to get an ARECA Raid controller I would not even need your old AMCC3ware9000.kext?

Would I have to make any other changes or does it indeed just work?

Thank you

AMCC3ware9000.kext is for the 3ware 9650 based card

ARECA Raid controllers do not need a special kernel extension, the driver for the mac compatible controllers is already included in a vanilla mac osx installation :)

Hey all!

My DAW partition died (permanent waiting for DSMOS), but it was a little unstable anyways, and Logic wouldn't load, so I'm trying again with this guide...

Just have a couple of questions:

* The built in ethernet port on my board is fried... I picked up the Apple USB Ethernet port, right now it seems to be working okay... With my current install I'm using all vanilla kexts for networking, but I do have a EFI string for my dead ethernet port so that I can authorize apps tied to that... will that work with your install to?

* Any way to get 64 bit sound without putting anything in /S/L/E? Right now my audio stuff is in /E/E, but I think it's only 32 bit; all I need is optical out.

Anyways, I'll leave those questions there, I'm going to go try blindly to get it to work with what I think should :D

I'm also curious as to what all of the kexts do exactly:

AHCIPortInjector - Fixes the orange drive problem?

AppleRTC - What does this do?

ATAPortInjector - What does this do?

Disabler - I know this is important, but what does it disable?

fakesms - the new DSMOS? Don't know exactly what it does either

IOACHIBlockStorageInjecter - No idea

NullCPUPowerManagement - No idea

OpenHaltRestart - No idea

PlatformUUID - No idea

SleepEnabler - Is this just for enabling sleep? I'm on a desktop, so I'm not likely to ever use this, and I know it complicates the 10.6.2 update - can I just remove it? Or do other things need it to make it work?

Well, this guide worked great for 10.6.1... installed the 10.6.2 update, replaced with the 10.6.2 kexts from the updated first post...

But now I keep getting a sleepenabler crash, something about kernel mismatch.... even with -x, even with -f, and even with -s

Any ideas?

are you booting the right kernel? the new sleepenabler only works on 10.6.2!

One more question :) !

I've never owned a 64 bit CPU so I've never used a 64 bit OS before.

But how can I tell that my kernel boots into 64 bit mode?

Thanks again!

go into terminal and hit

uname -a

look for RELEASE -> i386=32bit / x86_64=64bit

are you booting the right kernel? the new sleepenabler only works on 10.6.2!

I think so... I installed the 10.6.2 update from Apple (downloaded, not through software update)..

I'm using your boot.com.apple.Plist that has "mach_kernal" as the kernal...

I'm getting the crash whether I have the old sleepenabler, the new sleepenabler, or no sleepenabler at all! :D

I am using Chameleon RC3 instead of EFI v3; does that make a difference? My main partition already has it on and is working, so switching makes me nervous....

I think so... I installed the 10.6.2 update from Apple (downloaded, not through software update)..

I'm using your boot.com.apple.Plist that has "mach_kernal" as the kernal...

I'm getting the crash whether I have the old sleepenabler, the new sleepenabler, or no sleepenabler at all! :D

I am using Chameleon RC3 instead of EFI v3; does that make a difference? My main partition already has it on and is working, so switching makes me nervous....

hmm can you post detailed kernel panic messages?

I just installed PC-EFI 10.5 to a flash drive, and used it to try booting... it works! My internet works still (with the USB ethernet dongle), 64 bit mode works...

But my video stopped working (limited to 1 screen, bad resolution, no acceleration)... not sure if this was because of the 10.6.2 update, or because of using PC-EFI instead of Chameleon...

I have a 8800GT; should I use an EFI string instead of the graphics-enabler in the bootloader?

I just installed PC-EFI 10.5 to a flash drive, and used it to try booting... it works! My internet works still (with the USB ethernet dongle), 64 bit mode works...

But my video stopped working (limited to 1 screen, bad resolution, no acceleration)... not sure if this was because of the 10.6.2 update, or because of using PC-EFI instead of Chameleon...

I have a 8800GT; should I use an EFI string instead of the graphics-enabler in the bootloader?

always use latest chameleon + pcefi from netkas (boot-file)

if you are using an efi string, deactivate the graphicsenabler, if graphicsenabler won't work, be sure that you are using the right pci-root

How do I find the correct PCI root?

Neither the graphicsenabler or the EFI string are working (with only one at a time of course)...

Oddly enough, my other partition (uses a EFI string), also doesn't work with video when using PC EFI instead of Chameleon...

What is it that Chameleon RC3 does to graphics that the latest PC-EFI doesn't?