Snow Leopard on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P Vanilla 64 Bit Kernel

190 posts in this topic

Okay, this is driving me crazy...

With Chameleon RC3, my graphic card works fine. But I can't boot your guide with Chameleon (and I like your guide more than my current install)

With PC EFI, either 10.3 or 10.5, I can't get the graphics card working properly either with graphics enabler or with an EFI string, with pciroot 0 or pciroot 1 (I should be using 1 according to ioreg), 32 bit or 64 bit...

Either the partition I installed with your guide, or my preexisting partition with different kexts... the graphics card just won't work with PC-EFI

Under System Profiler it tells me:

Display:

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 32 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0611

Revision ID: 0x00a2

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Can you help me either get graphics working with PC-EFI, or figure out why I get the mismatched-kernal error with Chameleon RC3?

Here's how it looks when loaded correctly with an EFI string on my other partition:

Chipset Model: nVidia GeForce 8800 GT

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

ROM Revision: nVidia GeForce 8800 GT OpenGL Engine [EFI]

Displays:

DELL E248WFP:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Rotation: Supported

DELL E248WFP:

Hi bert.

Do I have to make any changes to the bios in order to get this working?

For example....what do I have to pick for:

- SATA Raid /ahci mode

- Onboard Sata/Ide device

- onboard Sata/ide ctrl mode

Thank you

always try ahci mode

Here's how it looks when loaded correctly with an EFI string on my other partition:

Chipset Model: nVidia GeForce 8800 GT

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

ROM Revision: nVidia GeForce 8800 GT OpenGL Engine [EFI]

Displays:

DELL E248WFP:

DELL E248WFP:

did you try booting with flag "-pci1"?

since latest netkas pc efi boot file i have to use it, sorry i forgot :(

Hey ud4p users. If you have windows installed and iTunes for Windows as well.

Can you hear a high pitched noise coming from the motherboard???

Everything sounds absolutely fine until I open up iTunes or Quicktime.

Thanks

hmm windows 7 + itunes 64 works well

Yes, I've tried with -pci1 and -pci0; no difference either way.

hmm sounds weird, so i can't have a look at your system from there ;)

you can start over with a fresh installation or you can post your com.apple.boot.plist and maybe a kext-list

You say "Download the 10.6.1 Update from here. after downloading the update, run it and again choose the "Snow" Volume. when everything went fine we are going to make that Harddisk bootable."

I'm runinng 10.5.8 to install 10.6 and when I run 10.6.1 I' says that's no possible to run package on 10.5.8

How can I update to 10.6.1? Is it necessary or I can update later, thanks.

You say "Download the 10.6.1 Update from here. after downloading the update, run it and again choose the "Snow" Volume. when everything went fine we are going to make that Harddisk bootable."

I'm runinng 10.5.8 to install 10.6 and when I run 10.6.1 I' says that's no possible to run package on 10.5.8

How can I update to 10.6.1? Is it necessary or I can update later, thanks.

sure you can update later but be careful, because you have to use the kext/kernel (especially sleepenabler and nullpowermanagement) PRE 10.6.2 otherwise you will get a kernel panic

btw i never did an snow leopard update within 10.5 so i cannot say why the update won't work, sorry.

Hey ud4p users. If you have windows installed and iTunes for Windows as well.

Can you hear a high pitched noise coming from the motherboard???

Everything sounds absolutely fine until I open up iTunes or Quicktime.

Thanks

YES! Fixed it. Well I overclocked my CPU to 3.2 GHz which resulted in an increase of voltage on the motherboard which must have eliminated that stupid sound!

So now even Windows works flawlessly on my Hackintosh :)! Oh irony....

How can I stop Windows from changing the time everytime I restart from within mac?

YES! Fixed it. Well I overclocked my CPU to 3.2 GHz which resulted in an increase of voltage on the motherboard which must have eliminated that stupid sound!

So now even Windows works flawlessly on my Hackintosh :D ! Oh irony....

How can I stop Windows from changing the time everytime I restart from within mac?

is it a completely reset? because it seems to be a rtc problem in your dsdt, are you using my posted dsdt?

is it a completely reset? because it seems to be a rtc problem in your dsdt, are you using my posted dsdt?

It always seems to go 5 hours ahead of time. Yes I'm using your dsdt...any ideas?

Also neither windows or mac displays my oc'd cpu correctly. They both still show 2.67GHz.

Thank you

hmm sounds weird, so i can't have a look at your system from there :D

you can start over with a fresh installation or you can post your com.apple.boot.plist and maybe a kext-list

Haha, I'm back a few days later... after messing with permissions I killed my system... and kind of had to start fresh!

Up and running right now though;

10.6.1 using all your updated kexts (except for the 2 made for 10.6.2), your plist but with EFI string for video, the updated 889a kext, Chameleon RC3, and the latest DSDT you posted...

Everything is working well now, and it feels good to have NO kexts inside /S/L/E!

Sometime soon I'll try cloning my installs and messing with 10.6.2 again, but for now I'll let things rest...

Only one thing; I have a couple of programs that rely upon builtin ethernet to generate copy-protection codes; using the Apple USB ethernet adapter doesn't work, so I can't use these softwares...

Is there a ethernet kext I can use that will recogize the realtek builtin to the motherboard? I don't need to actually use port, I just need it recognized so that programs can generate codes off it...

It always seems to go 5 hours ahead of time. Yes I'm using your dsdt...any ideas?

Also neither windows or mac displays my oc'd cpu correctly. They both still show 2.67GHz.

Thank you

hmm sounds weird :D

i know its much to do but can you post all your bios preferences?

Haha, I'm back a few days later... after messing with permissions I killed my system... and kind of had to start fresh!

Up and running right now though;

10.6.1 using all your updated kexts (except for the 2 made for 10.6.2), your plist but with EFI string for video, the updated 889a kext, Chameleon RC3, and the latest DSDT you posted...

Everything is working well now, and it feels good to have NO kexts inside /S/L/E!

Sometime soon I'll try cloning my installs and messing with 10.6.2 again, but for now I'll let things rest...

Only one thing; I have a couple of programs that rely upon builtin ethernet to generate copy-protection codes; using the Apple USB ethernet adapter doesn't work, so I can't use these softwares...

Is there a ethernet kext I can use that will recogize the realtek builtin to the motherboard? I don't need to actually use port, I just need it recognized so that programs can generate codes off it...

well done :)

for me the only way to use the onboard realtek as builtin-device is using an efi string in com.apple.boot.plist or add it into the dsdt. chameleon ethernetbuiltin doesn't work at this time, but it's easy, just generate the string with efi studio.

Can anyone comment on a good graphics card that is easily compatible with Snow Leopard, including sleep? I'm looking in the less than $200 range, something to replace my x1950gt. I've thought about an hd4870 or a gtx260. Can anyone recommend something with good performance and complete compatibility? Thanks!

Uebrigens kann ich auch Deutsch. Nicht als Muttersprache, aber es geht...

Can anyone comment on a good graphics card that is easily compatible with Snow Leopard, including sleep? I'm looking in the less than $200 range, something to replace my x1950gt. I've thought about an hd4870 or a gtx260. Can anyone recommend something with good performance and complete compatibility? Thanks!

Uebrigens kann ich auch Deutsch. Nicht als Muttersprache, aber es geht...

hallo, sag mal stimmt dein Netzwerkstatus noch in deiner Signatur weil 64 bit networking mit dem onboard R1000 Realtek chip funktioniert mittlerweile bestens :D

Grafikkarten die bei mir funktionieren 32&64 bit:

• gtx 260
  • gts 250
  • gtx 295
  • gtx 295 co-op
  • gtx 9800 x2
  • gt 9500
  • gt 9800

hope it helps :P

hallo, sag mal stimmt dein Netzwerkstatus noch in deiner Signatur weil 64 bit networking mit dem onboard R1000 Realtek chip funktioniert mittlerweile bestens :wacko:

Grafikkarten die bei mir funktionieren 32&64 bit:

• gtx 260
  • gts 250
  • gtx 295
  • gtx 295 co-op
  • gtx 9800 x2
  • gt 9500
  • gt 9800

hope it helps :rolleyes:

64 bit networking (onboard) funktioniert? Welche kext brauche ich? Ich habe diese ganze thread noch nicht gelesen, und habe diese Installations-Methode nicht benutzt, ich wusste damals nicht das diese thread existiert. Ich habe die Anweisungen fuer ein UD5 benutzt (digital dreamers script). Im moment muss ich 32 bit benutzen, wegen meiner Grafikkarte (deswegen brauche ich eine neue). Dange fuer die empfehlungen! Ich werde wahrscheinlich ein gtx 260 kaufen. Kann ich einfach ein EFI string benutzen?

Tut mir Leid wenn mein Deutsch ein Bisschen merkwuerdig klingt, es ist ein Paar Jahre gewesen seit ich in Deutschland gewesen bin (leider nie in Oesterreich...)

thanks for you guys i managed to update until 10.6.2 :P

however System Profiler still shows 64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No

in E/E/com.apple.boot.plist I have

Kernel Flags -x32 arch=x86_64

uname -a

Darwin GigaMacPro.local 10.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.2.0: Tue Nov 3 10:37:10 PST 2009; root:xnu-1486.2.11~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

EDIT:

I have 12GB of RAM and using ATI HD4870, so I have to add ATY_init.kext in E/E to avoid KP

top command results:

Processes: 53 total, 3 running, 1 stuck, 49 sleeping, 234 threads 01:56:35

Load Avg: 0.05, 0.11, 0.06 CPU usage: 0.51% user, 0.30% sys, 99.18% idle

SharedLibs: 9064K resident, 4096K data, 0B linkedit.

MemRegions: 6546 total, 290M resident, 16M private, 143M shared.

PhysMem: 861M wired, 479M active, 234M inactive, 1573M used, 11G free.

VM: 131G vsize, 1037M framework vsize, 39378(71) pageins, 0(0) pageouts.

Networks: packets: 216580/101M in, 330684/179M out.

Disks: 26787/1381M read, 35407/1014M written.

screens from profiler attached

any idea where i have to look?

vielen dank!

post-508994-1260772747_thumb.jpg

post-508994-1260772767_thumb.jpg

thanks for you guys i managed to update until 10.6.2 :(

however System Profiler still shows 64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No

in E/E/com.apple.boot.plist I have

Kernel Flags -x32 arch=x86_64

uname -a

Darwin GigaMacPro.local 10.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.2.0: Tue Nov 3 10:37:10 PST 2009; root:xnu-1486.2.11~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

EDIT:

I have 12GB of RAM and using ATI HD4870, so I have to add ATY_init.kext in E/E to avoid KP

top command results:

Processes: 53 total, 3 running, 1 stuck, 49 sleeping, 234 threads 01:56:35

Load Avg: 0.05, 0.11, 0.06 CPU usage: 0.51% user, 0.30% sys, 99.18% idle

SharedLibs: 9064K resident, 4096K data, 0B linkedit.

MemRegions: 6546 total, 290M resident, 16M private, 143M shared.

PhysMem: 861M wired, 479M active, 234M inactive, 1573M used, 11G free.

VM: 131G vsize, 1037M framework vsize, 39378(71) pageins, 0(0) pageouts.

Networks: packets: 216580/101M in, 330684/179M out.

Disks: 26787/1381M read, 35407/1014M written.

screens from profiler attached

any idea where i have to look?

vielen dank!

hallo, du darfst nicht mit der kernel option "-x32" booten :)

don't boot with kernel flag "-x32"

I need help! I was messing with ethernet kexts (updating an old test partition to a new one) and for some reason I have lost ethernet. By this I mean ethernet won't work in any OS, not a different OS X partition, windows, or linux. I deleted the dsdt.aml patch but I still have no ethernet. It doesn't detect an attached cable. This has happened to me once before, and I somehow fixed it by chance. I've tried reapplying a dsdt.aml patch but maybe there's something wrong with mine. Can anyone tell me how to reset everything back to its stock settings? I hope I didn't somehow brick my motherboard...

Thanks for the help!

Danke sehr!

EDIT: Fixed! right after I posted this, of course. Unplugged pc from wall for about a minute and then rebooted. I feel stupid for not doing that first!

hallo, du darfst nicht mit der kernel option "-x32" booten :)

don't boot with kernel flag "-x32"

UPDATE 4:

Using TRUST Bluetooth 2 dongle allows the bluetooth devices twork after resume

UPDATE 3:

I nuked the installation from the orbit and start all over again.

Now I have 64bits + sleep + resume

Only one problem left: the bluetooth device doesn't work after resume.

I am using a generic one with Cambridge Silicon Radio.

Any ideas?

UPDATE 2:

I managed to boot with -x64 arch=x86_64 -v without KP

However all indicators for 64 bits (uname -a, system profiler) still say i386.

Is there any place that I could check which part prevented the system to boot into x86_64 kernel?

UPDATE:

using

-x64 arch=x86_64 -v

got KP about

com.apple.ATIRadeonX2000(6.0.6)

could be the display adapter? any ideas?

i got KP if i removed -x32

among others the KP said about

FakeSMC: key info not found MSDS, length - 6

also few lines below there was a mention about

com.apple.ATIRadeonX2000(6.0.6)

cheers

• 4 weeks later...
hi,

you can

delete

• AMCC3ware9000.kext (was just my raid controller driver)
  • AppleRTC.kext (no longer needed, it's fixed in dsdt.aml)

replace

• fakesmc.kext (newer version)
  • HPETDevice.kext (fixes IRQ troubles)
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (10.6.2 updated to work with vanilla kernel)
  • SleepEnabler.kext (10.6.2 updated to work with vanilla kernel)
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext (so we all hate psystar now :) ... use EvOreboot.kext)

IONetworkingFamily.kext -> use your old one, i'm gonna upload a updated version tomorrow also the newest fakesmc.kext from last friday

Hi again,

I just downloaded the 10.6.2 Update from Apple and installed it (but no reboot). Then I replaced your new kexts with my older ones in E/E, added your ALC889a.kext, replaced your old dsdt.aml with your newer one, replaced the IONetworkingFamily.kext with your newer one, deleted Extensions.mkext, deleted VoodooHDA.kext from S/L/E and changed permissions on all kexts. Finally I've restarted OSX, but I've only got a black screen after the boot screen, all I can see is my mouse cursor (and I can move it), but thats it. No error, no kernel panic, no Desktop :(

I've booted with -v/-x, same result.

Was it wrong not to restart after the Update?

I can boot in single user mode, so i hope it's repairable...can you please give me a tip what i should do now?

thanks alot,

Crunk

Hi everyone.

New here & have a quick question.

I'm wanting to build a "Hackintosh"...actually, the machine's already built it's currently running 7 & i'd like to run both 7 & Snow Leopard.

The system specs are as follows:

EX58-UD4P

i7 920

XFX 4870

2x640GB SATA HDDs

6GB Patriot ram

Belkin 10/100 PCI card (onboard Lan quit)

I have an 8 & 16GB flash drive as well as a retail copy of Snow Leopard, but I think my problem's going to be that the Apple laptop I have is a PowerBook running 10.5.8. Since it doesn't have an Intel CPU I don't know it that'll be a problem or not.

I'm going to get a 3rd HDD...a 1TB or higher...for simplicity. I don't partitioning for a dual-boot is a good idea, is it?

Thanks for any & all help!