GA-EP45-UD3L Snow Leopard Install Guide v1.0 for Newbies

Gurujee

544 posts in this topic

Hi all.

Well, I´m not that new to SL because I had it installed to one nForce mobo before. In nForce mobos I have a little knowledge but intel chipset is kinda new to me.

I was trying to follow the guide in first post but for my surprise got an issue.

When booting from the CD, if I enable Onboard IDE Controller in BIOS Setup, I can read the CD info but it keeps rebooting. When I turn Onboard IDE Controller disabled, got the error messagem that disk boot failure.

So... I can´t boot to SLboot CD anyway.

Somebody knows how to solve that???

If some one knows, please send me the answer. PM or post, no matter how.

My system specs are only different on the MOBO. The rest is the same.

Cheers.

bb.

Gurujee, not speak English, we could give a copy of your DSDT, we have the same MB, sound and network, I'm even the same video, I would serve, at least while preparing the guide.

thanks

greetings

Hellooooo !!

Anybody here to provide any help???

Gurujee, where are you mate????

I believe your SL BootCD.iso have issues. It doesn´t boot here on my rig. I can´t follow your tip on disabling Onboard IDE Controller because my DVD is IDE. If I disable it how can I boot you SLBootCD ???

Any other workaround to make this thing work???

Cheers.

bb.

It works like a charm for me and for ds3 also! ;)

You recorded this .iso into a CD or DVD disk? Does your DVD drive is IDE or SATA?

Mine is IDE and this bootcd is not working when I have to disable Onboard IDE Controller like said in first post. I used one nForceSLBootCD from verdant and boots fine but it wouldn´t install. I get a KP.

Any suggestions??

Cheers.

bb.

I've burned it on a simple cd, not dvd or re-writable media..

I've got only sata on my rig, disk and optical drive

If you disable the ide controller it doesn't see the ide because it doesn't have the controller! :wacko:

You get KP cause that verdant cd doesn't have the proper kexts.. you have to edit that iso file with a program like ultraiso for windows and replace or remove the kexts inside the /Extra/Extensions folder with the ones from this iso, but maybe keep the jmikron kext to load some ide..

I don't think that i've help you with that solution but you don't have to lose anything to test it,

good luck mate! :)

oh and the DSDT.aml to put inside the /Extra folder after successful installation so snow doesn't reset your cmos and stuff is attached here for the UD3LR mobo (you can always test it for others L or R but i didn't).

plus i'm using the voodooHDA 64bit for alc888 sound and it works like a charm, but without inputs (mic/linein)

the only thing i need to solve is sleep and i'm 100% perfect copy of a mac pro! :D

edit : the attached file is for UD3LR i've misspelled it! sorriez

DSDT.aml_for_GA_EP45_UD4LR_cmos_and_stuff_OK.zip

I've burned it on a simple cd, not dvd or re-writable media..

I've got only sata on my rig, disk and optical drive

If you disable the ide controller it doesn't see the ide because it doesn't have the controller! :rolleyes:

You get KP cause that verdant cd doesn't have the proper kexts.. you have to edit that iso file with a program like ultraiso for windows and replace or remove the kexts inside the /Extra/Extensions folder with the ones from this iso, but maybe keep the jmikron kext to load some ide..

I don't think that i've help you with that solution but you don't have to lose anything to test it,

good luck mate! :D

oh and the DSDT.aml to put inside the /Extra folder after successful installation so snow doesn't reset your cmos and stuff is attached here for the UD3LR mobo (you can always test it for others L or R but i didn't).

plus i'm using the voodooHDA 64bit for alc888 sound and it works like a charm, but without inputs (mic/linein)

the only thing i need to solve is sleep and i'm 100% perfect copy of a mac pro! :D

Yeah mate. Got nothing to loose. ;)

As soon as I have a little free time I´m gonna try this.

Cheers.

bb.

EDIT:

I was having problems with the computer getting stuck here (see below).

After 2 days I solved my problem...sit down: it wasn't getting stuck at all. I was using an ATI 4870 and I wasn't seeing the UI that was actually running (and yes, I had GraphicsEnabler=No)...all I was seeing was the text where the boot process was ending and UI would normally come up.

For gigles I put in my 9800 GTX+ and voila...I saw a UI.

30 minutes (and 2 days) later I have a fully working 10.6.1 install.

So...if your install and/or boot process hangs and it doesn't seem like anythig is wrong, consider the fact that nothing might be wrong and you're just not seeing the UI...you need to look at the graphics card and see if you have it configured properly.

post-56202-1255031221_thumb.jpeg

@Bloodiator.

Hi mate. I downloaded UltraISO today and opened the .iso provided in first guide.

It´s normal not to have any Extensions folder in extra??? Mine have only this files:

- com.apple.boot.plist

- smbios.plist

- Preboot.dmg

and in the root I have only:

- Extra folder

- cdboot

I believe it should have more files. Doesn´t have any kexts in there. If I´m wrong, please, let me know.

Cheers.

bb.

Oh.. yes the kexts are inside the preboot.dmg which is like an iso but mac format image of a disk.. you must open as read/write and put any extra kexts inside and make it another image. Then remove the original and rename the new as the old and put it in place..

It's a bit of a procedure i know.. but take it for a test man! :)

Oh.. yes the kexts are inside the preboot.dmg which is like an iso but mac format image of a disk.. you must open as read/write and put any extra kexts inside and make it another image. Then remove the original and rename the new as the old and put it in place..

It's a bit of a procedure i know.. but take it for a test man! ;)

Hi Blood.

Well, I don´t know why the boot cd doesn´t work for me. 

Yesterday I give a pause at boot screen and got this message:

cd boot: init

cd boot: file size 0004B8A0

cd boot: reading sectors 00000098

cd boot: loading..... 

and then system reboots. I believe it´s something related to IDE controller because I need to use it and everytime get same error. I´m not able to test with IDE controller disabled because I´ll be unable to boot from CD. ;)

I was analyzing preboot.dmg from CD boot it contains the files I need to boot normally. That´s why my thinking about the IDE stuff.

Yesterday I could boot using the nForce Boot CD from verdant´s and could install Snow Leopard to one partition, but now I need to install bootloader into SL, but I only have TransMac to do it and I don´t know how to proceed. If you know how can I do this to test partition, I´d be apreciatted.

Cheers.

bb.

Well you can use the SL bootloader from the package to make from inside Snow Leo your snow leo partition bootable and Chameleon V2 enabled!

Just take a small look at the guide again, i know you are frustrated, i was too, buts this guide, small as is, helped me so much, that other guides bigger and more explained, gave me a headache ! ;)

And about ide, you may consider buying one sata optical drive for less than 20€ (i don't know about $ cause i'm in europe) at your local pc store, good brands are sony/lg (same optiarc inside), or nec.

I hope you find out the solution soon !

Well you can use the SL bootloader from the package to make from inside Snow Leo your snow leo partition bootable and Chameleon V2 enabled!

Just take a small look at the guide again, i know you are frustrated, i was too, buts this guide, small as is, helped me so much, that other guides bigger and more explained, gave me a headache ! :wacko:

And about ide, you may consider buying one sata optical drive for less than 20€ (i don't know about $ cause i'm in europe) at your local pc store, good brands are sony/lg (same optiarc inside), or nec.

I hope you find out the solution soon !

Hi mate.

Found the solution. :)

Im writing this post from my SL partition.

After installation of the retail software, I added the Boot / DSDT (you provided) / and an Extra/Extensions folder and that did the trick. I worked so nice. It booted first try. No errors, no KPs... everything went smooth.

See you soon.

Cheers.

bb.

Hm.. so there is a problem with that too.. we must talk with the creator to fix a new preboot.dmg file that includes the proper jmicron kext for ide devices.. but if our friend from the previous post could give us a like to the other cd he used.. well :P

ask him.. (look previous page!) -_-

Hm.. so there is a problem with that too.. we must talk with the creator to fix a new preboot.dmg file that includes the proper jmicron kext for ide devices.. but if our friend from the previous post could give us a like to the other cd he used.. well :P

ask him.. (look previous page!) :)

Hi blood.

Well, finally I got my SL to work properly.

I knew that this boot cd file has something wrong or missing. If you still have the SL boot CD you used to install your SL so I can try here with mine rig config.

About your comments on my boot cd, for sure I can get a copy of it to post it here for people to test. I hope it can work for others too. Just a little point I´d like to highlight: This install method is not quite common and requires windows and transmac. As my boot cd doesn´t have bootloader or moded DSDT files. I can provide details if people need. Just let me know.

BTW, blood, have you got your sound card working??? Mine is not. I´m using your DSDT file, maybe it´s because of that. I need to fix it because I just can´t work without sound. ;)

I have 2 kexts that once enabled my ALC8888 (that is same card of my older mobo) but same kext now is not working. Any ideas on how to fix that??? I´m not that much into editing DSDT´s.

Cheers.

bb

How about sleep, you got it ok?

and about sound, i have something for you but after sleep/wake sounds goes alien.. sometimes, but in my case, i can't get the damn thing to sleep it's the only thing left.. ;)

about sound.. it's a killer..

do you run snow on 64 bit or not..

if you are on 64 bit there is a sollution with voodoohda compiled for 64 bit and you have to remove applehda.kexts..

let me give you a package to test..

AGAIN : Original AppleHDA.kext needs to be removed from /System/Library/Extensions

dong from insanelymac released new 64BIT VoodooHDA with new 64BIT Prefpane.

screenshot20090829at744.png

Download:

http://www.box.net/shared/j2a6arm60b

Here is small trick how to hide terminal

when VoodooHdaHelper auto-starting after start your OS X.

By slic of infinitemac...

Download here:

http://www.box.net/shared/qqt6l2iui9

How to:

1. Download the zip

2. Copy the application Voodoo HDA Helper to /Applications/Utilities/

3. Copy the folder VoodooHDA to Your_OS_X_disk/Library/

4. Add application Voodoo HDA Helper to list of login items in

System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items

Enjoy_

All packed here http://bit.ly/wZUY3

@ Everyone

Here is a GA-EP45-UD3L Boot132DVD.iso V2, which includes JMicron kexts and PS/2 kexts, plus Bloodiator's DSDT.aml.......

1. Burn to a DVD-R or DVD+RW etc. NOT to a CDR or CDRW.....

2. Boot with -v -f

I hope it works for you......it does for breakingbad.....enjoy......

Cheers

verdant

@ Everyone

Here is a GA-EP45-UD3L Boot132DVD.iso which includes JMicron kexts and PS/2 kexts, plus Bloodiator's DSDT.aml.......Try it......I hope it works for you......if it does.....enjoy......

Cheers

verdant

@verd

Hey veeeeeeeeeerd.

How you doing mate?

It's really nice to know that you provided an GA-EP45-UD3L boot cd. I'm very glad to have you around here even knowing you don't have Intel chipset to deal with. :) Your knowledge in OS X is very important, no matter chipset. ;)

@blood.

I'm gonna give it a try on your tip about sound using VoodooHDA. I have nice experience with voodoo stuff. :)

Cheers to all.

bb.

Just put the little script on the Login Items and hide it so it doesn't pop up everytime on boot and you are going to be fine! :)

Hi blood.

I´m writing this post to report some itens on my Snow Leo experience in this new mobo.

- Got sound working with your method using voodooHDA.kext. For my surprise didn´t have to remove AppleHDA.kext because I haven´t this kext in my folder. Don´t know why. Another thing is 5.1 channels. I could aggregate devices but seems like 4 channels are not working because I could only get sound on 2 channels. I will change 2 cables of my home theather but I believe this is not the question because in Leopard using a kext for Realtek ALC888 worked perfect. I believe this realtek kext should work for this mobo too because is the same audio chipset but it didn´t. :pirate2:

- I need a different keyboard layout because I´m here in Brazil and I need one special layout called ABNT2. I got one that works but I´m facing a little problem. Every time I reboot my system, I have to select in Pref Pane ny keyboard layout again because I can´t even select it in menu bar. Don´t know why this happen.

- Could boot into 64 bits mode w/o problem. No problems till now. I added the -x64 flag so it boots every time in 64 bits mode.

- Sleep doesn´t work. Today I putted sleep into test and doesn´t work. It goes to sleep normal but when it´s time to wake up in fact it reboots. It´s known issue so I don´t face it as a particular problem.

Well, I believe its just that by now.

I´m gonna adjust my HDD´s so I have every thing working perfect and have no problem in the future.

Cheers.

bb.

The audio problem is fixed as follows in this MB GA-EP45-UD3L:

1. Using a DSDT generated in windows, not OSX.

2. Do not remove any files from the original installation, the applehda.kext in this case.

3. kexts to put the attachment in the extra/Extensions folder.

4. generate their mkext and repaired permission with kext utility.

5. Copy the DSDT to extra and go.

4 channels output and 2 input complete recognized by the system in 64 or 32bits.

the network is not included in the DSDT is recognized only

the video is also not included in the DSDT, all nVidia 7xxx 8xxx 9xxx series also

recognized. others will not be tested.

include a copy of my DSDT.aml.

I hope they will be useful health.

sorry if something is poorly written, do not speak English

Archivo_comprimido.zip