[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Vanilla Retail Guide for GA-P35-DS4 and other related boards

tseug

Did it work without issues?  

430 members have voted

1. 1. Install check

• Yes (GA-P35-DS4)
    • No (GA-P35-DS4)
    • Yes (Different MB)
    • No (Different MB)

785 posts in this topic

I updated to Chameleon RC3, which was released this past weekend. With RC2 already installed, to update I just copied the single boot file from the binaries distribution to /, replacing the older Chameleon boot file. Also, to run in 32-bit, had to replace arch=x86_32 with arch=i386 -legacy in apple.Boot.plist.

It was any easy update, though I'm not sure whether I'm benefiting from any of the improvements :P

Many thanks for this guide - just installed Snow Kitty seamlessly on my GA-P35-DS4 using this.

I just ignored the section on EFi Studio as I use an ATi RadeonX X1950Pro 512mb - i installed Bronya's latest driver for Snow Leopard from this thread Bronya's ATi x1950 Drivers

I have not done any rigorous use or testing yet but all appears fine.

Nice job, thank you for your work! It's working with my P35-DS4, Q6600 and my geforce 8800 gtx. Does anybody know what's about analog 5.1 sound!? I only have 2.0 sound, I think I should try VoodooHDA. And what's about the DVD-Drive, I've one from asus, it can't be recognized by the OS, an ideas? Thank you!

/Extra/Extensions folder must exist on the destination partition. If it does not (e.g. if you install Chameleon 2.0 RC3 manually), you have to create it prior installing the drivers package. It works perfectly for me on my P35-DS4, thanks tseug!

No problem. I installed Leopard using your guide back in the day, so right back at you :)

Tseug, does your package install some files to the system tree, or are all files stored in /Extra?

It installs RealtekR1000.kext to /S/L/E and Netkas boot to /. Everything else goes in /Extra.

Chameleon RC3 also works fine, but I haven't gotten around to updating the package yet. I'll do that today or tomorrow.

I just ignored the section on EFi Studio as I use an ATi RadeonX X1950Pro 512mb - i installed Bronya's latest driver for Snow Leopard from this thread Bronya's ATi x1950 Drivers

That's good news, The Gael. Could you tell me the method you used to install Bronya's driver? Did you copy out the kexts/plugins to the /Extra folder? Or did you just run his load program? If the former, how exactly did you setup the files?

THANKS

It installs RealtekR1000.kext to /S/L/E and Netkas boot to /. Everything else goes in /Extra.

Chameleon RC3 also works fine, but I haven't gotten around to updating the package yet. I'll do that today or tomorrow.

So, if I updated my /boot file with the Chameleon RC3 version, then I wiped out the Netkas boot file your installer installed? I think it booted fine - what am I missing out on by using the RC3 boot file instead of the Netkas version?

...It installs RealtekR1000.kext to /S/L/E and Netkas boot to /. Everything else goes in /Extra.

Thanks. What version of RealtekR1000 is included in your package? The latest one 2.0.3, released on 2009-08-11? Link: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...GetDown=false#7

Can you please update your installer so it creates /Extra/Extensions if it does not exist? Can you include Chameleon 2.0 RC3 in the installer? Thank you!

That's good news, The Gael. Could you tell me the method you used to install Bronya's driver? Did you copy out the kexts/plugins to the /Extra folder? Or did you just run his load program? If the former, how exactly did you setup the files?

THANKS

If you follow the link in my previous post which you quoted; you will find the link to Bronya's drivers - he has updated the original thread with Snow Leopard compatible drivers. Download, check whether your card is Device ID 7280 or 7288 and then run the appropriate load.command. The system will reboot and your graphics will work. I did not have to do any setup - it just works!

Works great for me on several Gigabyte MBs like P35-DS4 and EP35-DS4 with different BIOS.

After installing newest Chameleon 2 RC3 removing the kernel flag <arch=x86_32> is no problem too and 64bit is enabled.

NTFS-3G 4.4 does only work in 32bit however but it can be switched on and off.

Thank you!

I am gettin kernel panic on my first boot after installation.

edited .plist but the installer showed me that error postupgrade script for snowjob...

but I think it could not work because of my pata drives?The Snow partition is on a sata drive but I have 2 more pata drives.

Sry, I didnt read carefully. I did install Extras with camelon rc2. Now the installation went well. I wonder if i can install chameleon rc3 after having installed snow...I just need my computer today an cannot play around so much time ;-)

Ah and my pata drives are not recognized...which is not sooo bad...but anyway.

I'm having problem with this install method. When I'm opening OSInstall.mpkg it installs fine (deselect printer) but the root of HD is messed up with folders I normally do not see. Another thing is that the install.log is not created after I have installed Chameleon and GA-P35-DS4 Snow Leopard Installer. When I boot the computer freeze at the Chameleon boot screen.

I have a GA-P35-DS4 installed with 10.5.7 using LS8 v17. I'm installing from this HD to a second HD (tried both internal HD and USB).

I also tried to install SL to a USB from my MacBook. In this case I can not install the Chameleon.

Can someone please help!

...my pata drives are not recognized...which is not sooo bad...but anyway.

Forget PATA, it is not supported.

I'm having problem with this install method. When I'm opening OSInstall.mpkg it installs fine (deselect printer) but the root of HD is messed up with folders I normally do not see. Another thing is that the install.log is not created after I have installed Chameleon and GA-P35-DS4 Snow Leopard Installer. When I boot the computer freeze at the Chameleon boot screen.

Make sure that you point the SL to the correct (empty) partition, ditto for Chameleon installer!

(MacDad @ Sep 10 2009, 10:48 AM) post_snapback.gifI'm having problem with this install method. When I'm opening OSInstall.mpkg it installs fine (deselect printer) but the root of HD is messed up with folders I normally do not see. Another thing is that the install.log is not created after I have installed Chameleon and GA-P35-DS4 Snow Leopard Installer. When I boot the computer freeze at the Chameleon boot screen.

Make sure that you point the SL to the correct (empty) partition, ditto for Chameleon installer!

I did format my second HD as a single and empty GUID partition. Then I installed everything to this new HD. Just as I did when I successfully installed 10.5.7 using LS8v17. Tried this several times and every time the root of the new HD is messed up with folders that normally is not visible. I believe it is the install of the OSInstall.mpkg that goes wrong. Any suggestions?

I did format my second HD as a single and empty GUID partition. Then I installed everything to this new HD. Just as I did when I successfully installed 10.5.7 using LS8v17. Tried this several times and every time the root of the new HD is messed up with folders that normally is not visible. I believe it is the install of the OSInstall.mpkg that goes wrong. Any suggestions?

I have noticed the messy folders as well - some appeared to be shortcuts so I deleted them to see what happened. What happened was that my system would not boot past the spinning wheel - so i have just re-installed and left them there. At some point I would like to tidy up the root of my drive.

I will follow with interest any progress on these folders, in the meantime having installed my system on a Solid State Drive and keeping User profiles on a SATA drive Snow Kitty absolutely flies on my machine so I am delighted with performance and will put up with the messy appearance just now.

Anyone know how to fix the Disk Utility Error in noob talk?

Using this guide when i run DU, I get

Error: No installer packages can be found for this disk

I've searched plenty of threads and some mention running BSD.pkg, I dont know how to run this or even where it is, should I run this on this guide? or another way to fix it?

Is anyone experiencing problems with Time Machine? I have just set up a Drive as a Time Machine Backup and it fails each time I try and run a backup.

I get this error

3906517847_78f434d699_o.png

I have never seen this error before so if anyone can shed light on what it may be please let me know!

Thanks

Edited to Say: I just found that in my Energy Saver the disks are set by default to sleep after 15 minutes which is exactly the time that the backups fail. I have just adjusted this and am testing to see if this has any effect on the issue

Anyone know how to fix the Disk Utility Error in noob talk?

Using this guide when i run DU, I get

Error: No installer packages can be found for this disk

I've searched plenty of threads and some mention running BSD.pkg, I dont know how to run this or even where it is, should I run this on this guide? or another way to fix it?

Put in DVD

Run in terminal: open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/BSD.pkg

(mafiasilk @ Sep 10 2009, 09:07 PM)

I tried installing Snow again from inside snow using this guide. It installed, but I cannot get Chameleon to install, says failed? Any ideas

Mine does that too. Not sure why. It does seem to work though.

Mine does too. Can I install the Snow Installer from my Mac Book as well? Or do I need to run this from my Leopard install on the DS4?