Snow Leopard + DWA 552/556 aka Atheros AR5416

kamikaze

62 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with my PCI D-Link 547 (Atheros 5416: 2.0.19.8) with Snow Leopard 10.6.0 to 10.6.2

Everything is working fine apart from that one...

Any ideas anyone?

Mobo: ASUSteK P6T Deluxe v2 w/ i920

Boot: Chameleon 2 RC4 or Netkas PC-EFI 10.5

I have exactly the same problem.

Hey guys,

Found something here that might help us find out where the issue comes from.

The D-Link 547 DOES work when hyperthreading is disabled and when only one 1-CPU core is used from the BIOS.

So it doesn't like SMP somehow.

What about you?

Now, I'm no DSDT.aml expert but this should be happening here about ;-)

Hum...

Hi,

I installed my D link 547 wifi by putting the AtherosFix.kext in S/L/E and my card is recognized by the system. I can even connect to a Network but the (big) problem is it causes kernel panic after a few seconds. I connect to a network, start using the computer, and after 10-20 secs, everything freezes and then KP. If I turn off airport in the menu bar, this problem doesn't occur.

Any help about this ? I just can't use wifi...

Thanks

My config :

SL 10.6.2

P55-UD3

Core i7 860

Radeon 4890

8gb Ram

I have the same problem using MB BX58SO, wireless adapter TL-WN851N. Actually I didn't add the AtherosFix.kext...But the consequence is the same...it recognizes the Airport, bit after a few seconds I get a Kernel panic

I have the same problem using MB BX58SO, wireless adapter TL-WN851N. Actually I didn't add the AtherosFix.kext...But the consequence is the same...it recognizes the Airport, bit after a few seconds I get a Kernel panic

Did you try without Hyperthreading and one-Core CPU only?

Cheers

Just installed these kexts works perfectly with the 552. Thanks for your help. To anyone trying to do this, make sure you install both the io8011family.kext and the Atherosfix.kext one after the other and make sure to repair your disc's permissions in disk utility before you restart. I am running the Lifehacker setup

Hey guys,

Found something here that might help us find out where the issue comes from.

The D-Link 547 DOES work when hyperthreading is disabled and when only one 1-CPU core is used from the BIOS.

So it doesn't like SMP somehow.

What about you?

Now, I'm no DSDT.aml expert but this should be happening here about ;-)

Hum...

Awesome, so if we cripple our system, we can use wifi!

But you are right this is interesting, there must be something we can modify within the DSDT, that will fix this. Some one must be able to do this!

Unfortunately it's not me either :)

Anyone please? Thanks...

Awesome, so if we cripple our system, we can use wifi!

But you are right this is interesting, there must be something we can modify within the DSDT, that will fix this. Some one must be able to do this!

Unfortunately it's not me either ;)

I am using a DWA552 with Snow Leopard 10.6.2 32-bit EFI. I am having the same problem as many of you all. I can connect to a wireless network but as soon as I do my computer completely locks up. The thing I don't understand is someone put in the HCL for 10.6.0 that it works. See screen shot. Does anyone know what the description means in regards to a vanilla driver?

post-175623-1261809267_thumb.png

Ehh, I sort of gave up on the AR5416. My DWA-552 has been nothing but trouble ever since I bought it. I had boat loads of trouble even using Leopard. I had to use kext from 10.5.4 and I had to make a bootflag maxmem=3072 just to keep it from locking up. Once, I got my ethernet working, thanks to eno, I decided it was time for a change in a different direction. I didn't want to run a 30 foot cable to my router and I did not want to take another gamble on buying a different wireless NIC so I just went ahead and bought a wireless-N draft bridge. It works like a charm. No more kernel panics and it's really fast. I would recommend anyone that has ethernet and is fed up with this to do that. It's a tad more than buying a wireless NIC but way less of a headache.

Ehh, I sort of gave up on the AR5416. My DWA-552 has been nothing but trouble ever since I bought it. I had boat loads of trouble even using Leopard. I had to use kext from 10.5.4 and I had to make a bootflag maxmem=3072 just to keep it from locking up. Once, I got my ethernet working, thanks to eno, I decided it was time for a change in a different direction. I didn't want to run a 30 foot cable to my router and I did not want to take another gamble on buying a different wireless NIC so I just went ahead and bought a wireless-N draft bridge. It works like a charm. No more kernel panics and it's really fast. I would recommend anyone that has ethernet and is fed up with this to do that. It's a tad more than buying a wireless NIC but way less of a headache.

I did this as well. It let me put my two computers next to each other on a GB switch and have wireless to the internet. So far, it has been relatively less problematic.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, was wondering if anyone eventually found a solution for using the Atheros wireless cards without having to use cpus=1 or setting the bios to one cpu?

Im using the linksys wmp3000-eu version on an Asus Rampage Gene ii board.

I am using a DWA552 with Snow Leopard 10.6.2 32-bit EFI. I am having the same problem as many of you all. I can connect to a wireless network but as soon as I do my computer completely locks up. The thing I don't understand is someone put in the HCL for 10.6.0 that it works. See screen shot. Does anyone know what the description means in regards to a vanilla driver?

Disable HPET Mode in the BIOS. This did the trick for me ... Working fine since some hours ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey,

I got my system to recognize the card, started giving me kernel paic right away, couldn't even get to the login screen with out getting kernel panic, switched to one core and everything worked fine, the only problem is now i have to run my computer with one core if i want to have the internet, has there been any progress...

Hey,

I got my system to recognize the card, started giving me kernel paic right away, couldn't even get to the login screen with out getting kernel panic, switched to one core and everything worked fine, the only problem is now i have to run my computer with one core if i want to have the internet, has there been any progress...

Same PROBLEM, but no solution. You use possible snow leo in 64 bit with i7 processor?

• 1 month later...
Same PROBLEM, but no solution. You use possible snow leo in 64 bit with i7 processor?

Same problem here. Linksys WMP110(AR5416.168c;0023) + Core i5 750. I tried both 32 and 64 bit modes but no solution. cpus=1 works fine but i have 3 useless cores. When i look into the more info page, ethernet cards tab shows the pci card as 168c,23(true) but airport tab shows 168c,72(wrong) device id. How could i solve this problem?

• 1 month later...

Posting to reply that kamikaze's posted AtherosFix worked perfectly for my DWA-556. Installed using kextutility to S/L/E, and did not repair or change any permissions afterward. Worked instantly on the next boot. Cheers!

EVGA X58 3-Way SLI

Intel i7-920

1.5 TB WC Black HD

6 GB GSkill 1600

EVGA GTX 260

Snow Leo 10.6.2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Could you explain what "this" is exactly? In the market for a wireless option, and really want to know if one of these cards will work. Thanks.

And by "this" i meant the kext (If you didn't already know that). A Kext is like a driver file but for OS X.

However if you want an explanation, its on my worklog. It can be found here under the entries section.

• 3 weeks later...