Snow Leopard + DWA 552/556 aka Atheros AR5416

kamikaze

62 posts in this topic

Well, snow leopard recognizes my Dlink WRT DWA 556 with no problems. Address 168c,23

On snow however, the card is ignored. I checked the info.plist in the factory Atheros driver and it has the address...

Any idea ?

I just booted into SL for the first time (using the LifeHacker method) and my card doesn't show up in the list. Given that it worked in Leopard without any extra drivers, I was mildly surprised by this.

I just booted into SL for the first time (using the LifeHacker method) and my card doesn't show up in the list. Given that it worked in Leopard without any extra drivers, I was mildly surprised by this.

its because there is no 64bit Atheros drivers for snow leopard, so we could only get this working in 32bit mode.

let's hope apple or atheros will update this soon :(

I only have DWA-547 (same chipset) and I did not install any Kext, it worked out of the box. However, maybe you need to add your product ID in AirPortAtheros plugin of IO80211Family.kext (in IONameMatch, there are many strings like pci106b,1c).

And try to rebuild Kext cache and repair permissions.

Did you figure it out because my DWA-552 is not detected either.

im trying to add my old IO80211famliy.kext from leo and then trying that

if that doesnt work ill add the airport.kext and see if that works. if not, ill just live with lan. lol

• 2 weeks later...

Yep. My new build (based on the lifehacker hardware) works fine oob in 32bit mode. Kinda disappointing at first (because of non-64bit kernel action) but honestly, not noticing a difference... other than my wireless works :D My only custom kext is for the ALC889a audio.

• 2 weeks later...

DWA-556 works OOB indeed (only in 32 bit).

Have this card for a year now, besides for not being able to fully use the N draft, the most annoying problem with this card is that it won't find any AP's/reconnect after a wake from sleep because it only uses the generic part of the atheros driver.

A possible cure for this is to reprogram the prom and change the subsystem id's to Apple. I plan to do this the next week and see how it goes.

Are there more users who have these issues?

airport.jpg

I was not aware that there was an issue with sleep, I usually alway disable sleep on PC/Mac with whatever OS. On my Hackintosh sleep has been disabled. Im overclocked as well and did away with any throttling or energy saving features by disabling them in my BIOS (EVGA X58).

As far as my router its a Netgear WGR614 set to G only, so far my internet works well and nothing seems slow or otherwise different than when I run in Windows 7.

As far as file sharing that works a little better on the Mac side than on my Windows 7 install.

I run a pair of OCZ Vertex SSD and they are more than enough speed to keep me happy.

As for running on a wireless N, I will give that a go when I upgrade my router.

Currently for how my computer is configured with no problems with my DWA 556 in either Mac or Windows 7 64bit

• 2 weeks later...

With the (Netkas) Atheros21, 32/64bits, see www.netkas.com its from beta 10.6.2

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9zpo4a

Added also the DWA 556 with 168,3a70 worked for me DWA-556

add id168c-23 and 168c-24 and 168c,1a 168c,3a69 168c,3a70

Put it in the IO80211Family.kext now fully working "Airport" in menu

works also standalone in the S/L/E

i didnt use the installer(kext helper) i used drag and drop

in Systemprofiler:

Softwareversions:

Menu-extra: 6.0 (600.22)

configd-plugin: 6.0 (600.27)

Systemprofile: 6.0 (600.9)

Networkpref: 6.0 (600.22)

AirPort-config.: 5.4.2 (542.23)

IO80211-family: 3.0 (300.20)

Interfaces:

en1:

Type card: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x3A70)

Firmwareversion: Atheros 5416: 2.1.8.7

Language: Unknown

Landcode:

Supported PHY-modi:: 802.11 b/g/n

Supported channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

==========================================

DWA-547 ????? CAN GIVE PROBLEMS

DWA-552-Atheros 5416/AR5008 id168c-29 NOVEMBER 2010 WITH 10.6.4 IO80211Family.kext

DWA-556-Atheros 5418/AR5008E id168c-23 or 168c-24 for me its 168c,3a70 NOVEMBER 2010 WITH 10.6.4 IO80211Family.kext

AR5418+AR5133

AR5416+AR5133

AR5416+AR2133

AR9160/AR9280/AR9281

DWA-547 and DWA-552 ARE NOT identical

also see:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...20#entry1244185

NOVEMBER 2010:

I FOUND OUT THAT THE D-LINK 556 IS A BROADCOM BCM94321MC ALS 2CONNECT WITH YOUR PCIe slot ITS "EASIER" 2FIND

When I start DPCI manager, it says:

168c:0023 Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5416 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless PCI Adapter

System profiler does not see the PCI card.

What should I do?

I have already installed AtherosFix.kext and 10.6.2 update.

I am running in 64bit mode.

I have the DWA 556 fully working with the AtherosFix.Kext with the mentioned id's. If you look in 10.6.2 System Profiler it will not show any PCI card info. You can find the info under Ethernet-Card and it is recognized otherwise run Kext Utility.

:rolleyes:

Thanks to all, 10.6.2 and Netkas fixed this issue.

I got 10.6.2 from Apple

AtherosFix.kext from Netkas

and the abova ids from himac59

edited AtherosFix.kext and added the ids, deployed to S/L/E

Yahoo! it work in 64 bits now!

The edited AtherosFix.kext is attached

cheers !

Oh dear I just installed this kext and my system promptly panics and now I can't boot into it!

argh!

My system fails to recognize my DWA-552 card at 168c,23 DPCI Manager sees it though.

It would be helpful if folks could be very specific about what they did to get it to work, for instance: Did you place AtherosFix.kext into IO80211Family.kext plugins folder in addition to all the other plugins?

I tried many permutations and was always careful to run Kext Utilty after, or use it to do the install. Nothing I did worked for me.

If some kind soul with a working installation could give absolutely complete, step by step, non-abreviated instructions, then maybe it would work for the rest of us and this issue could be put to sleep.

I should mention that I am using E-FIX usb dongle to boot Snow Leopard 10.6.2 on a Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3P motherboard

Oh dear I just installed this kext and my system promptly panics and now I can't boot into it!

argh!

My system fails to recognize my DWA-552 card at 168c,23 DPCI Manager sees it though.

It would be helpful if folks could be very specific about what they did to get it to work, for instance: Did you place AtherosFix.kext into IO80211Family.kext plugins folder in addition to all the other plugins?

I tried many permutations and was always careful to run Kext Utilty after, or use it to do the install. Nothing I did worked for me.

If some kind soul with a working installation could give absolutely complete, step by step, non-abreviated instructions, then maybe it would work for the rest of us and this issue could be put to sleep.

I should mention that I am using E-FIX usb dongle to boot Snow Leopard 10.6.2 on a Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3P motherboard

AtherosFix.kext is useless to you if you dont use Chameleon. It must be loaded from Extra/Extensions folder. Putting it in S/L/E will not work. I my self am not using that kext, I patched the same device-id injection straight into dsdt. You should still be able to use your card in 32-bit mode, or does that Efi-X dongle kill even that option ?

AtherosFix.kext is useless to you if you dont use Chameleon. It must be loaded from Extra/Extensions folder. Putting it in S/L/E will not work. I my self am not using that kext, I patched the same device-id injection straight into dsdt. You should still be able to use your card in 32-bit mode, or does that Efi-X dongle kill even that option ?

Yes, in fact the "upgrade to Snow Leopard" did just that. Thanks for clarifying. I was able to get recognition of the card on another EFI-X machine EX58 based MB w i7 CPU, but then it crashed the system when a request was made to turn the "aiport" on.

Hi,

I installed my D link 547 wifi by putting the AtherosFix.kext in S/L/E and my card is recognized by the system. I can even connect to a Network but the (big) problem is it causes kernel panic after a few seconds. I connect to a network, start using the computer, and after 10-20 secs, everything freezes and then KP. If I turn off airport in the menu bar, this problem doesn't occur.

Any help about this ? I just can't use wifi...

Thanks

My config :

SL 10.6.2

P55-UD3

Core i7 860

Radeon 4890

8gb Ram

Hi,

I installed my D link 547 wifi by putting the AtherosFix.kext in S/L/E and my card is recognized by the system. I can even connect to a Network but the (big) problem is it causes kernel panic after a few seconds. I connect to a network, start using the computer, and after 10-20 secs, everything freezes and then KP. If I turn off airport in the menu bar, this problem doesn't occur.

Any help about this ? I just can't use wifi...

Thanks

My config :

SL 10.6.2

P55-UD3

Core i7 860

Radeon 4890

8gb Ram

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with my PCI D-Link 547 (Atheros 5416: 2.0.19.8) with Snow Leopard 10.6.0 to 10.6.2

Everything is working fine apart from that one...

Any ideas anyone?

Mobo: ASUSteK P6T Deluxe v2 w/ i920

Boot: Chameleon 2 RC4 or Netkas PC-EFI 10.5