Snow Leopard works in GA-965P-S3

moarfish

332 posts in this topic

I found RC3 quite easy to install using Dr.Hurt's package. It didn't overwrite anything I had in the /Extra's folder. I haven't seen anything other than the sound assertions in both 64&32bit so I can't see any harm in making the switch. Your choice really, I think using this will simplify the install process for newcomers.

Hi Slither2008,

I went ahead and installed Chameleon RC3 and it went fine except the sound assertions like you said. But sound still working and that's good.

Do you know why the sound assertions are there?

You're absolutely right! I've been culling through all my {censored} on Leopard and still have about 100gb to go but I decided to test out the kext pack on a fresh installation of Snow Leopard.

*I got my USB 80GBHDD and formatted GUID Partition, Mac OS Extended Journaled.

*Ran the OSInstall.mpkg and deselected Printers/Languages.

*When that finished I Installed Chameleon 2.0 RC3 using Dr. Hurt's install package.

*I then dragged and dropped my Extra folder into the root of the USB drive.

*I also made sure I removed the Extensions.mkext from the /Extra folder since I don't think it's needed anymore.

*Rebooted and had GFX,LAN,AUDIO working in OS X 10.6 straight off the bat.

*Boot time was a little slow due to it being on a USB hdd.

*I then ran through the Welcome wizard and then reinstalled BSD.pkg and then imediately updated to 10.6.1.

*Rebooted and I now I'm making this post.

This Rocks!!!!

Hey Slither,

I've been looking for a solution for my "popping" audio and I came across this Forum. I have a P5K Pro Mobo using alc883 audio. I've read through this forum and I saw that by changing smbios to say MacPro fixes the popping or perhaps using a patched DSDT.aml with the legacy kexts fixes this. My case is my audio is working but whenever I use Audio or when the OS makes default noises from tasks it always pops first then works OK. This popping is getting very frustrating and I'm trying to find a definite solution. I assume my DSDT is working with the legacy kexts since I am getting sound at all, but not quite sure if the pin layout may be screwy which is causing the popping or maybe something is configured wrong and its initializing improperly. Any help and or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Slither!

Hi Slither2008,

I went ahead and installed Chameleon RC3 and it went fine except the sound assertions like you said. But sound still working and that's good.

Do you know why the sound assertions are there?

I think what terrence mentioned a few posts back might be the reason.

• 2 weeks later...

dear community

for about 2 week i am trying to insall SL using the kexts from Slither2008...

i have the ga-965p ds 3.3

i alway have KP :-(

when i boot "normal" there is only a blue screen and nothing happens.

when i boot in safe mode:

Safe mode

KP after 1 oder 2 minutes.

when i boot in singe mode:

single mode

when i boot with -v -x32

-v -x32

my bios settings:

Integrated Perpherals: SATA ACHI MODE = AHCI ; SATA Port0-1 Native Mode = Disabled ; Onboard SATA AHCI Control Mode = AHCI

Also HPET = 64 is aktiv.

GIGABYTE 965P DS3 F13

dear community

for about 2 week i am trying to insall SL using the kexts from Slither2008...

i have the ga-965p ds 3.3

i alway have KP :-(

when i boot "normal" there is only a blue screen and nothing happens.

when i boot in safe mode:

Safe mode

KP after 1 oder 2 minutes.

when i boot in singe mode:

single mode

when i boot with -v -x32

-v -x32

my bios settings:

Integrated Perpherals: SATA ACHI MODE = AHCI ; SATA Port0-1 Native Mode = Disabled ; Onboard SATA AHCI Control Mode = AHCI

Also HPET = 64 is aktiv.

GIGABYTE 965P DS3 F13

I have your same mobo and bios version, i followed this guide http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181903 (don't care the mobo isn't the same) and installation went perfect from the first boot.

about bios settings the only relevant for the installation is: Integrated Peripherals: SATA ACHI MODE = AHCI for everything else you can leave default.

After a few dsdt optimizations my system is perfect and runs without any issue

I have read this topic and count myself lucky that I have the same mobo as you guys. (GA-965P-S3 rev1.0) and thanks to everyone for their posts and effort put into it. I have not yet installed Snow Leopard (waiting for the DVD) but have been testing out the kexts, bootloaders, configurations on my Leopard install mostly with success.

However, I have noticed as Slither has that now that I am booting from Chameleon 2 rc3 that there seems to be increased HDD activity and that it prevents sleep. Everything else seems to be working fine.

Look forward to getting Snow Leopard on and taming it.

Fellow GA-965P-S3 rev1.0 users,

I have installed Snow Leopard (Retail) and it working well bar a few components which I will work on over time. The details are as follows.

Gigabyte 965P-S3 rev1.0

E6300 (1.93Ghz Core 2 Duo)

2 GB DD2

Segate 500Gb SATA

Segate 320Gb SATA

Netgear WN311B (WiFi N) PCI

OK, thats the hardware now I followed a slightly different process than the others mentioned on this post.

1. Boot from BootCD (http://lb.redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&am...%3Fmq4y4jmgmyj)

2. Swap to Snow Leopard Retail DVD

3. Follow Prompts in retail install (I deselected FONTS, PRINTERS, LANGUAGES just to be safe)

4. Apply the pack provided by Slither (Kext Pack 2.1)

(at this point I applied the modifications to the EFI partition so the Snow Leopard install would remain untouched)

5. Configure personal preferences in Chameleon

6. Boot into new Snow Leopard install

The install booted without issue and all components work as provided by Slither's Kext Pack 2.1

7. Apply 'Software updates', these completed also without issue.

8. Add USB devices, printers & external HDD

At this point things seemed to be going pretty smoothly so I installed all the applications and tools I used with Leopard (10.5.2) and got through without any problems.

These are the issues I am currently working on.

i) No PS2 keyboard support

***easy solution, get a USB-2-PS2 converter no changes required (adaptor on the way)***

ii) No WiFi card detected

***Lan works cable was on the to-do-list, but WiFi would be good***

iii) Sound, it works from Slithers DSDT mods but I was using Optical Output which I have not been able to get to work.

iv) No IDE DVD-RW support

***again easy solution is to get a SATA DVD-RW***

Upcoming work

v) Bluetooth Module

Although I have spent countless hours reading and testing to get to the point that I am at now none of it would have been possible without this thread and especially:

Slither

Moarfish

BlackOSX

I'll get back about the issues and would very much appreciate any assitance if anyone else is working on Optical output on the ACL883.

Thanks.

I'll get back about the issues and would very much appreciate any assitance if anyone else is working on Optical output on the ACL883.

optical out does not work (also with dsdt patching) if you find any solution, please post B)

Hi Slither,

Thank you for this guide!

I have the same mobo: GA-965P-S3 rev 3.3 and the only thing that is not working is audio. I have followed your last step-by-step guide - Snow Leopard Kext Pack v2 - but audio, still not working B) Do you have any idea? First of all I have to admit that I made a mistake... I installed AzaliaAudio.pkg before your guide... and I suspect this is the cause audio not working.

There is any way to uninstall AzaliaAudio.pkg?

Thanks in advance. BTW you made a great job!

for audio try this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=188349

it worked for me but without digital output.

Thank you Parwo for your tip ;)

In the mean time I reinstall SL from the begining and I got randoms KP. After a few hours I decide it to put the following kext: fakesmc.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext, PlatformUUID.kext, and all 3 kext for sound provided by Sinther in the /System/Library/Extensions.

To install those kexts, open up Terminal and type:

sudo -s
cd /Volumes/<<[snowLeopard]>>/System/Library/Extensions
chown -R root:wheel *
chmod -R 755 *

and voila - everything (almost - IDE DVD drive not working) it's working.

fakesmc.kext.zip

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.zip

OpenHaltRestart.kext.zip

PlatformUUID.kext.zip

LegacyAppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext.zip

LegacyHDAController.kext.zip

LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext.zip

I have two Hard disk

1 for Snow Leopard another is the old Leopard. I always install new OS in the new Hard disk so that if anything unexpected happen, I still have the old version working.

Step 1. Boot into Leopard and run disk utiltiy, create a single partition in the New Harddisk with GUID table

Step 2. Mount Snow Leopard image file and Press Command shift G in Finder and type "/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/"

Step 3 Run OSInstall.mpkg and select the Snow Leopard Drive to install. Select Custom and deselect the printer driver. I cannot complete the installation with printer driver clicked. I don't know why.

Step 4 Install Chameleon 2 RC1 into Snow Leopard drive. (I don't know how to make RC2 to work with snow leopard). Replace the "boot" file with the one working with snow leopard. Please download in the link above.

Step 5 Run OSX86tools and create a EFI String for 9500GT and put into the com.apple.Boot.plist file inside Extra

Step 6 Put all those kexts included in the tutorial above. However, you need to install the latest FakeSMC in netkas.org or you cannot boot.

Step 7 Install VoodooHDA.kext with OSX86tools for sound

Step 8 Create Extensions.mkext file using kext utility and put inside Extra

Step 9 Change the BIOS settings and let it boot the Snow Leopard Drive

Step 10 boot with -v -x32 to boot using 32 bit mode

Step 11 Complete the setup process

Step 12 Install BSD.pkg again to fix Disk Utility problem

Step 13 Run Kext utility to fix the random Kernel Panic problem.

Step 14 Reboot and let it boot into 64bit mode.

Everytime you reboot, you will facing CMOS Checksum error, just restore it to the last time setting and it will boot fine.

I found that it is caused by Chameleon 2 RC1 as I have no error using RC2. However, I cannot let RC2 boot Snow Leopard without problem at the moment. Please let me know how to switch to RC2 if you know.

(Already confirmed it is caused by Snow Leopard itself, and need DSDT patch to fix the problem. I am still trying hard to learn the DSDT patch guide but I do not have Windows machine and Snow Leopard cannot run Parallels 3.0 properly while my CPU do not support Parallels 4.0 which VT is a must)

Thank you

It seems that the forum automactically changed the domain name to insanelymac.com which should be i hackintosh

Hi. On Step no.1 is booting from the OSX86 10.5 it means? Do you use the Terminal in your 10.5 OSX86 installer using Terminal? How would you run the OSInstall.mpkg and the Chameleon RC1 using the Leopard OSX86 Installer? What're the Terminal commands exactly if you have to use Terminal? Thanks in advance. Gbu.

I have your same mobo and bios version, i followed this guide http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181903 (don't care the mobo isn't the same) and installation went perfect from the first boot.

about bios settings the only relevant for the installation is: Integrated Peripherals: SATA ACHI MODE = AHCI for everything else you can leave default.

After a few dsdt optimizations my system is perfect and runs without any issue

@yopale

Appart bios setting !

You follow everything step by step the link you mention above ?

And what is your dsdt optimizations you did ?

Did you system is fully 64 bit ?

Thanks

Guys,

1. Picked up a SATA DVD-RW drive, worked straight away so if your using an IDE just get a SATA its one less thing to worry about and patch.

2. Got the USB 2 PS2 adaptor , also worked straight away. same as above, just use USB key/mouse.

3. I started getting kernel panics when using Firefox or when I tried to load the 32bit Kernel.

Thats, most things working, except optical/SPDIF out for sound and NETGEAR WN311B (pretty sure its because there is no 64bit driver for it). I'll be working on the sound because I can avoid kernel panics by not using Firefox, once I have got the sorted I will dig around for the other problems. I don't know whats going on but I'll be looking into it.

If anyone else has the GA-965P-S3 with F14 bios and you've got a patch DSDT file thats working please send it to me as that would same me a bunch of time. THanks

Rowan.

Guys,

Just another update.( Sorry Pawro, still no sound)

Everything is working. I am now using PC EFI 10.3 and its BuiltInEthernet and VideoInject options now the ethernet, video, and PCI Wifi card work on boot.

I'm using the Bootloader on the EFI partition to keep the SL install clean.

The ongoing issues are:

-Sound : Its detected with my own compile of DSDT but no ouputs, still learning about DSDT and getting a mass of errors when trying to add the HDEF code from Slither's DSDT.

-x32 : Kernel panic on 32bit boot.

Any progress from others more than welcome.

Slither (or anyone else),

I am getting errors when trying to compile the DSDT after adding the HDEF code. I have attched the errors if you wouldn't mind looking at it for me.

I currently have compiled a DSDT with the "Device (RTC)" fix only which compiled without error, and changed "AZAL" to "HDEF" a its detected in System Profilier as

"Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A002"

but obviously no other information. my DSDT file is attached Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance all.

Rowan.

DSDT_errors.rtf

Ok, I have had what I think might be progress.

I have solved the DSDT compile problems but just adding small bits and now the ACL883 is detected in system profiler as:

"Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A002

Audio ID: 883

Available Devices: "

I have added the code from Slither's DSDT into the HDEF section but no available devices show up. All I can think is that the addressing has changed with BIOS f14?

Guys,

More progress (I think).

I now have a listing of available devices in the system profiler but I think the issue may be this message that I get at boot.

SYSTEM PROFILER:

"

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A002

Audio ID: 888

Available Devices:

Headphone:

Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack

Speaker:

Connection: Internal

Line In:

Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack

S/P-DIF In:

Connection: Optical

S/P-DIF Out:

Connection: Optical

Internal Microphone:

Connection: Internal

"

MESSAGE AT BOOT

"not loading kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController - not found and kextd not available in early boot"

OTHER CONCERNING BOOT MESSAGE

Also, at boot I get this message that I have found any information on. it says:

"

please convert the following to launchd ect/mach_init.d/chun.plist

please convert the following to launchd ect/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisor.plist

please convert the following to launchd ect/mach_init.d/pilotfish.plist

"

Hope someone can give me some assistance. Pawro, have you made any progress on your digital out?

Hi. I installed it in another drive using with RC1 on AHCI (BIOS) but when I boot it, there's just a blinking cursor and not much else. I didn't install any modified kext though. What kext works for the 965P DS3/S3? Could you point me to the kexts for this board?

Is there another method on how to install it on a 965P-DS3 / S3?

I have a 4870 1GB Palit which is not a dual DVI but just has a single DVI, a single HDMI, a single VGA and a single DisplayPort

Thanks in advance.

Hi. I installed it in another drive using with RC1 on AHCI (BIOS) but when I boot it, there's just a blinking cursor and not much else. I didn't install any modified kext though. What kext works for the 965P DS3/S3? Could you point me to the kexts for this board?

Is there another method on how to install it on a 965P-DS3 / S3?

I have a 4870 1GB Palit which is not a dual DVI but just has a single DVI, a single HDMI, a single VGA and a single DisplayPort

Thanks in advance.

Firstly, if you are using an IDE drive try removing it and booting, when I had a IDE DVD drive Chameleon wouldn't boot and I got the cursor you mentioned.

Secondly, I'm running the GA-965P-S3 and I'm using the KEXT pack provided by Slither earlier in the post.

The Install method I used is slightly different to the one at the begining of this thread, I have found that this avoids the 'no install package error' mentioned earlier. With this mehtod and the patched DSDT file I can boot 64bit only, do all software updates and use all hardware except the following:

i) IDE

ii) PS2

iii) Sound (progress is slow)

iv) Some issues when USB external HDD spins down for power save otherwise no USB problems.

v) 32bit boot

Everything else works without error and Xbench puts my machine about 15 points higher than a MacBook Pro with similar specs.

Steps :

1. I installed using the BootCD provided on "http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=180954/" to boot the retail DVD then installed with all the options check by default. I installed on a separate hard drive configured with 1 partition (GUID).

2. Then with my existing Leopard install to install Chameleon (provided in Slithers KEXT 2.1 pack also) ten instead of using the "boot" file provided in the KEXT pack I used 'OC EFI 10.3'. I installed the bootloader and KEXTs to the hidden EFI partition.

3. Using 'Patcher02Beta4' I extracted the DSDT.aml file from the BIOS file i'm using (F14) and placed it on the EFI partition. The one I'm currently using I applied all the patching options except video, I'm still playing with the DSDT file to get sound going.

4. The attached boot.plist got most of my gear going without DSDT (except sound, fingers cross PC EFI 10.4).

The RAR file attached is the file on my EFI partition (this is what is visible doesn't include the boot loader files installed by Chameleon Installer except the 'boot' file)

Let me know how you go.

Rowan.

boot.rar

Extra.rar

Hope someone can give me some assistance. Pawro, have you made any progress on your digital out?

no sorry still no optical out ... it s**** .... i am going to buy another audio card (?) i want my optical out. i have a denon audio receiver and i always watching 1080p (oder 720p) with DTS sound. but without optical output ...

everyday i am trying to edit my dsdt but without success :P

no sorry still no optical out ... it s**** .... i am going to buy another audio card (?) i want my optical out. i have a denon audio receiver and i always watching 1080p (oder 720p) with DTS sound. but without optical output ...

everyday i am trying to edit my dsdt but without success :)

I'm getting to the same point, spending too much time DSDT pacthing and not study, so I'm looking at buying a Behringer U-CONTROL UCA222 which has optical output from USB (I have used the Griffin iMic to give me sound before and it worked OOB). They are $80 but will save stuffing around with PCI cards and installs although I'm not sure if they will do pass-through digital for movies??.

Any ideas on these messages?

MESSAGE AT BOOT

"not loading kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController - not found and kextd not available in early boot"

-Think this could be my audio problem (1 of them any way)-

"

"

MESSAGE AT BOOT

-Think this could be my audio problem (1 of them any way)-

"

"

Yes, i have the same messages ...

i am looking for audio card (pci solution) how does the usb solution works? what about dts pass through?

Just found out I've this exact board, with a E6300 intel chip and a GT6600 GPU all running Windows XP. I was going to buy the gear for a Hackingtosh but it looks like this system will do fine for a dual windows / mac machine.

Can anyone point me to a guide to setup snow leopard on this machine, the above guide is for those who already have Leopard on there, I'm looking for either a complete newbies guide for Snow leopard or the same but for basic Leopard.

Any one got any links?

Thanks.