331 replies to this topic

parkersmith

parkersmith

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi Parkersmith,

Thanks for spotting that bug in the kext pack. Yes you are correct, you must boot into Snow Leopard first and then configure the speakers. I'll correct this when I get home (I'm on a WindBlowz PC atm).

I'll get a you the smbios.plist I started with and then instruct you as to what needs to be changed. I'll be home later this evening.

Can you send a screenshot of your kp please.

Well, I finally read enough to figure out how to get my HD UUID and MAC address entered into the smbios.plist and PlatformUUID. Seems like there should be some detailed instructions for this in the guide. This is required right? I dont recall having to edit the plist in smbios with 10.5.7. I was finally able to get booted, but without audio working. No KP now. I have re-copied the legacy audio drivers back into Extra/Extensions, but no luck.

Now that I am back up and running with 10.6, I have two outstanding issues that I am just stumped on.

1) No audio - I have legacy drivers loaded from your Version 2 Kext Pack and I do see Assertions when loading. Do I need to load VooDooHDA.kext? I though this got away from that.

2) Bigger issue, no IDE drives for my DVD drives. The strange thing is, I have reloaded Snow 3 times now, and 1 out of the 3 times, the IDE worked. Maybe it was a different DSDT that I used? I am using yours now. I guess I need to figure out how to patch my own. My MoBo is a Gigabyte 965P-DS3 and there is instructions on another post on how to get IDE working and I followed it, but still no luck. Are you running the same MoBo? Do my JMicronATA.kext drivers need to be in Extra/Extensions or S/L/E?

I guess I am going to quit for the night before I break things beyond repair.

Slither2008

Slither2008

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
GA-965P-S3 Kext Pack v2.1 (NOT COMPATIBLE WITH OS X 10.6.2+)

Change Log :
- Fixed a typo in the USB DSDT FIX
- Corrected the instructions (Step 5 and 6)

USB Devices now won't be forcefully removed when the computer is put to sleep. Credit to Innerz for sharing his find.

Download : link

Well, I finally read enough to figure out how to get my HD UUID and MAC address entered into the smbios.plist and PlatformUUID. Seems like there should be some detailed instructions for this in the guide. This is required right? I dont recall having to edit the plist in smbios with 10.5.7. I was finally able to get booted, but without audio working. No KP now. I have re-copied the legacy audio drivers back into Extra/Extensions, but no luck.

Now that I am back up and running with 10.6, I have two outstanding issues that I am just stumped on.

1) No audio - I have legacy drivers loaded from your Version 2 Kext Pack and I do see Assertions when loading. Do I need to load VooDooHDA.kext? I though this got away from that.

2) Bigger issue, no IDE drives for my DVD drives. The strange thing is, I have reloaded Snow 3 times now, and 1 out of the 3 times, the IDE worked. Maybe it was a different DSDT that I used? I am using yours now. I guess I need to figure out how to patch my own. My MoBo is a Gigabyte 965P-DS3 and there is instructions on another post on how to get IDE working and I followed it, but still no luck. Are you running the same MoBo? Do my JMicronATA.kext drivers need to be in Extra/Extensions or S/L/E?

I guess I am going to quit for the night before I break things beyond repair.

Audio
To get your sound working I can help. Forget about VooDooHDA as you won't need it. You have a different version mobo to me, because of this the Audio Pin Defaults will most likely be different. If you want the 3 Legacy kexts to work they need the correct verbs in them.

I will need 2 things from you :
1. We need to check whether the DSDT.aml is doing it's job. You need IORegistry Explorer. It is included into Xcode. If you installed Xcode in your 10.5.7 you can just open that copy. It's important that you run IORegistry Explorer from in Snow Leopard not Leopard.
2. Codec dump. Use an ubuntu install cd and boot it with the "try it out" option or similar. You need to create me a codec dump. Once Ubuntu has booted up open the terminal and execute this command :
cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 > ~/Desktop/codecname_codec_dump.txt

IDE
I haven't tested the JMicronATA kext. To answer your question, yes you will need to copy it into the /Extra/Extensions folder and then rebuild your kext cache using the kext utility.

SMbios.plist
I agree the smbios.plist is a bit vague. I'll try and include some instructions regarding that soon.

vincechan06

vincechan06

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hi Slither2008,
I made changes by replacing the Legacy kexts in E/E by the ones I downloaded in "Snow Leopard Kext Pack v2". Rebuilt mkext, reboot. I then open up the Configure Speakers, in multichannel, except for the "Stereo" item, the rest of the items are still greyed out. What did I do wrong?

Slither2008

Slither2008

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Hi Slither2008,
I made changes by replacing the Legacy kexts in E/E by the ones I downloaded in "Snow Leopard Kext Pack v2". Rebuilt mkext, reboot. I then open up the Configure Speakers, in multichannel, except for the "Stereo" item, the rest of the items are still greyed out. What did I do wrong?

You need to create an aggregate device by clicking the plus symbol.

Then with your aggregate device selected on the left make sure that your Line Out's have a check in them on the right hand pane. You can check the first 3 for 5.1 surround or all 4 for 7.1 surround.

Then click Configure speakers and you'll see 3 or 4 streams available (depending on how many Line-outs you checked).

You'll now be able to select Multi-channel 5.1 or 7.1 (depending on how many Line-outs you checked).

Remember that unless the audio content playing has more than 2 channels you'll only hear it out of Streams 1 & 2.

You'll need to experiment to figure out what stream is going to which speaker you have connected to the pc. Click on the button above each speaker and a white noise sound will play...it's normal don't worry. That should help you figure out what is playing on what speaker.

Regards,

Slither2008.

vincechan06

vincechan06

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

You need to create an aggregate device by clicking the plus symbol.

Then with your aggregate device selected on the left make sure that your Line Out's have a check in them on the right hand pane. You can check the first 3 for 5.1 surround or all 4 for 7.1 surround.

Then click Configure speakers and you'll see 3 or 4 streams available (depending on how many Line-outs you checked).

You'll now be able to select Multi-channel 5.1 or 7.1 (depending on how many Line-outs you checked).

Remember that unless the audio content playing has more than 2 channels you'll only hear it out of Streams 1 & 2.

You'll need to experiment to figure out what stream is going to which speaker you have connected to the pc. Click on the button above each speaker and a white noise sound will play...it's normal don't worry. That should help you figure out what is playing on what speaker.

Regards,

Slither2008.

OK. I got it. Thanks. Created the aggregate device. Using VLC, can select between built-in output which is 2-channels and the Aggregate device which is 5.1 channels. I got some dts files that are 5.1. Is there any player that I can test them with on SL? Can't play on VLC. Output will be just hissing sound.

Terence Loh

Terence Loh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Hi Parkersmith,

Thanks for spotting that bug in the kext pack. Yes you are correct, you must boot into Snow Leopard first and then configure the speakers. I'll correct this when I get home (I'm on a WindBlowz PC atm).

I'll get a you the smbios.plist I started with and then instruct you as to what needs to be changed. I'll be home later this evening.

Can you send a screenshot of your kp please.

Hi Slither,
Please see attached KP on -x32.
Attached File  IMG_0075.JPG   1.5MB   89 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0074.JPG   1.25MB   61 downloads

Thank you.

hordaktheman

hordaktheman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Your problem is the (possibly corrupted) IONetworkingFamily.kext that I mentioned in my earlier post on page 3.

I had the exact same problem and had to remove the kext from my Extra/Extensions folder for the OS to boot. Then I manually fixed the original kext in /System/Library/Extensions to enable networking. It may be down to different motherboard revisions or whatnot (I'm running 965p-DS3 rev3.3) but doing this solved the problem for me.

Terence Loh

Terence Loh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Your problem is the (possibly corrupted) IONetworkingFamily.kext that I mentioned in my earlier post on page 3.

I had the exact same problem and had to remove the kext from my Extra/Extensions folder for the OS to boot. Then I manually fixed the original kext in /System/Library/Extensions to enable networking. It may be down to different motherboard revisions or whatnot (I'm running 965p-DS3 rev3.3) but doing this solved the problem for me.

Hi,
It boot fine in 64 bits, only kp in 32bit.
Did you have the same problem?
By the way, is it possible to ccc or super duper with this method of installation?
I asked because the harddisk uuid would be different so i assume we couldn't boot into the cloned disk.
Thank you.

Hi Slither or any experts,
Is it possible to ccc or super duper with this method of installation?
I asked because the harddisk uuid would be different so i assume we couldn't boot into the cloned disk. If not, what's the best method of keeping a clone copy of installation?
Thank you.

Slither2008

Slither2008

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Hi Slither,
Please see attached KP on -x32.
Attached File  IMG_0075.JPG   1.5MB   89 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0074.JPG   1.25MB   61 downloads

Thank you.

Hi Terence,

It looks like you're getting a kp when it tries to look for AppleHDAController.kext. I haven't touched my /System/Extensions/ folder so I haven't had any issues like this. Have you moved/modified any files in your /System/Extensions/ folder? It's important that you rebuild the cache when you do. I believe the AppleHDAController.kext is a plugin kext found inside the AppleHDA.kext. Right-click on /System/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext and click Show Package contents. Navigate into Contents/Plugins and see if the AppleHDAController.kext is in there.

Regards,

Steve.

OK. I got it. Thanks. Created the aggregate device. Using VLC, can select between built-in output which is 2-channels and the Aggregate device which is 5.1 channels. I got some dts files that are 5.1. Is there any player that I can test them with on SL? Can't play on VLC. Output will be just hissing sound.

Hi vincechan06,

That's really unusual that VLC is outputing hissing. I'm using VLC also and have an mkv with multichannel sound playing fine through it. Have you confirmed you can hear sound in all speakers using the Audio Midi Setup -> Configure Speakers -> click on each speaker button and confirm the white noise.

Regards,

Steve.

Sabr

Sabr

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

• Retired
  • 3,883 posts

Hi Terence,

It looks like you're getting a kp when it tries to look for AppleHDAController.kext. I haven't touched my /System/Extensions/ folder so I haven't had any issues like this. Have you moved/modified any files in your /System/Extensions/ folder? It's important that you rebuild the cache when you do. I believe the AppleHDAController.kext is a plugin kext found inside the AppleHDA.kext. Right-click on /System/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext and click Show Package contents. Navigate into Contents/Plugins and see if the AppleHDAController.kext is in there.

Huh?

It looks like it's IONetworkingFamily.kext from here. I had the same problem - it would only let me boot using the 64bit kernel. I had to delete IONetworkingFamily.kext from /Extra/Extensions (which didn't serve a purpose for me anyway), then rebuild Extensions.mkext for it to allow me to boot 32bit...

vincechan06

vincechan06

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Hi vincechan06,

That's really unusual that VLC is outputing hissing. I'm using VLC also and have an mkv with multichannel sound playing fine through it. Have you confirmed you can hear sound in all speakers using the Audio Midi Setup -> Configure Speakers -> click on each speaker button and confirm the white noise.

Regards,

Steve.

Hi Steve,
I was playing a DTS audio file where the hissing sound came from. Anyway, this is a small issue. I haven't tried playing an mkv file yet. I will do it when I'm back home this evening. At work now.

-vince

Slither2008

Slither2008

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Huh?

It looks like it's IONetworkingFamily.kext from here. I had the same problem - it would only let me boot using the 64bit kernel. I had to delete IONetworkingFamily.kext from /Extra/Extensions (which didn't serve a purpose for me anyway), then rebuild Extensions.mkext for it to allow me to boot 32bit...

Whoops, I missed that line on the second screenshot. Thanks for the correction Sabr. This appears to be an issue with the IONetworking kext, although you also have a problem loading the AppleHDAController on screenshot 1.

Regards,

Slither2008.

Terence Loh

Terence Loh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Hi Terence,

Regards,

Steve.

Hi vincechan06,

Regards,

Steve.

Hi Steve,
I have AppleHDAcontroller.kext in AppleHDA.kext found Systems/Library/Extensions. Could it corrupted? Could you send me a copy of yours perhaps?
Thank you.

Huh?

Hi,
If i delete that file in the /E/E folder, would my network connections be affected in any way? What is the purpose of that file by the way?
Thank you.

Slither2008

Slither2008

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Hi Steve,
I have AppleHDAcontroller.kext in AppleHDA.kext found Systems/Library/Extensions. Could it corrupted? Could you send me a copy of yours perhaps?
Thank you.

No probs, I'll help you out when I get home in the next couple of hours.

Hi,
If i delete that file in the /E/E folder, would my network connections be affected in any way? What is the purpose of that file by the way?
Thank you.

Luckily the Realtek 88E8056 hardware is detected via the OS so a DSDT patch is not necessary. All that is required is getting the kext to match the device. I modified a single network device's entry so that it would match the device id of the Realtek 88E8056 Lan chip on our board.

My IONetworkFamily.kext overrides the one stored in /S/L/E If you remove the IONetworkFamily.kext from /E/E it will revert back to the vanilla copy in /S/L/E which doesn't have the modified entry for our Realtek 88E8056.

I'm sure there is a much better way of overriding, possibly with a single info.plist like is done with the LegacyHDA type of kexts. I really haven't had time to check this out what with getting the audio working. I'll check out moarfish's IONetworkingFamily.kext which he posted earlier.

Without the file you your lan won't be matched and you won't have network connectivity.

Regards,

Steve.

Terence Loh

Terence Loh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

No probs, I'll help you out when I get home in the next couple of hours.

Luckily the Realtek 88E8056 hardware is detected via the OS so a DSDT patch is not necessary. All that is required is getting the kext to match the device. I modified a single network device's entry so that it would match the device id of the Realtek 88E8056 Lan chip on our board.

My IONetworkFamily.kext overrides the one stored in /S/L/E If you remove the IONetworkFamily.kext from /E/E it will revert back to the vanilla copy in /S/L/E which doesn't have the modified entry for our Realtek 88E8056.

I'm sure there is a much better way of overriding, possibly with a single info.plist like is done with the LegacyHDA type of kexts. I really haven't had time to check this out what with getting the audio working. I'll check out moarfish's IONetworkingFamily.kext which he posted earlier.

Without the file you your lan won't be matched and you won't have network connectivity.

Regards,

Steve.

Thanks Steve,
I should just leave it alone then until further progress. By the way, i asked earlier about using ccc or super duper to clone my Snow to an external HDD. I couldn't boot into the cloned HDD even though i installed chameleon bootloader into it. Is there a way to clone with your method of installation?
Thank you.

Slither2008

Slither2008

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Thanks Steve,
I should just leave it alone then until further progress. By the way, i asked earlier about using ccc or super duper to clone my Snow to an external HDD. I couldn't boot into the cloned HDD even though i installed chameleon bootloader into it. Is there a way to clone with your method of installation?
Thank you.

It's not something I've tried to do before, but I'll give it a shot.

Regards,

Steve.

Terence Loh

Terence Loh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

It's not something I've tried to do before, but I'll give it a shot.

Regards,

Steve.

Thanks Steve,
How do you backup your Snow if i may ask?
Thank you.

moarfish

moarfish

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I'm now working on the problem of iPhone tethering.
I found that the iPhone tethering no longer works in my Snow Leopard install. When I plugin my iphone, it shows an error message as attached.

Everything works for iTunes and iPhoto but only the tethering function is not working. When I check the Network in System Preference, it do not have iPhone as network adaptor.

I am sure it is not the problem on my iPhone side as it still works in my MSI WIND U100 Leopard install.

Please let me know if anyone facing the same problem. I will report my solution if I solve it.

Another task I am working on is to install Chameleon RC3 on my SL drive. I think it won't be a difficult task thu

Attached Files

Sabr

Sabr

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

• Retired
  • 3,883 posts

Whoops, I missed that line on the second screenshot. Thanks for the correction Sabr. This appears to be an issue with the IONetworking kext, although you also have a problem loading the AppleHDAController on screenshot 1.

Regards,

Slither2008.

No worries. But I must say, the line you're referring to: "Not loading kext com.apple.drive.AppleHDAContoller - not found and kextd not available in early boot" isn't a big deal. I think it's because the LegacyHDA kexts in /E/E have loaded before AppleHDA.kext and therefore it cannot be found. I too get this 'error' twice when booting, but my ALC883 works perfectly fine (despite the popping sound upon driver initialisation).

- Sabr.

Slither2008

Slither2008

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Thanks Steve,
How do you backup your Snow if i may ask?
Thank you.

Hi Terence,

I haven't had time to figure that one out yet. I have 400gb of data I have to cull through to fit onto my 300gb snow drive. As soon as I do that I'm going to wipe my 500gb drive and see if Time machine will work.

I've confirmed that I also have noticed 2 bad things. The IONetworking in my kext pack is definitely no good in 32bit mode. Moarfish's is the one to use. Secondly Sound assertions appear in 32-bit mode. The sound still works great in 32-bit mode though. 64-bt mode works flawless and I haven't figured out why yet. I'll update with a new kext pack shortly.

Regards,

Slither.

No worries. But I must say, the line you're referring to: "Not loading kext com.apple.drive.AppleHDAContoller - not found and kextd not available in early boot" isn't a big deal. I think it's because the LegacyHDA kexts in /E/E have loaded before AppleHDA.kext and therefore it cannot be found. I too get this 'error' twice when booting, but my ALC883 works perfectly fine (despite the popping sound upon driver initialisation).

- Sabr.

I get 3 distinct popping sounds when the driver initializes do you get them also?

I'm now working on the problem of iPhone tethering.
I found that the iPhone tethering no longer works in my Snow Leopard install. When I plugin my iphone, it shows an error message as attached.

Everything works for iTunes and iPhoto but only the tethering function is not working. When I check the Network in System Preference, it do not have iPhone as network adaptor.

I am sure it is not the problem on my iPhone side as it still works in my MSI WIND U100 Leopard install.

Please let me know if anyone facing the same problem. I will report my solution if I solve it.

Another task I am working on is to install Chameleon RC3 on my SL drive. I think it won't be a difficult task thu

Nice work I was thinking of giving RC3 a shot today as well.

[Update] I installed RC3 and it booted up fine. I have however noticed that the sound assertions are now present in 64-bit but the sound still works fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy