• Please log in to reply
331 replies to this topic

Cartier82

Cartier82

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

You welcome. I manually changed the SMproductname in my SMBios.plist. I think there are smarts in the AppleHDA regarding power management that it applies depending on what mac product the driver detects. Can you send a screenshot of your System Profiler.

I found that after I installed Snow Leopard, I had to install the BSD.mpkg from the Install disc. I then rebooted into safe mode using -s -x32. I used the commands I've previously listed to regenerate the kext cache. After that my installation was rock solid. Also make sure you're using the latest netkas boot file (place it in root /).

Good luck!

I have edited my SMBios.plist changing the SMProductname but I'm still having poping noises. I upload a screenshot of my System Profiler, I'm using Chameleon v1012 and the System Profiler doesn't show a MacPro Identifier but with "Chameleon 2.0 r431+Netkas PC EFI 10 1 boot" it shows it.

I have problems booting in 64bit(-x64 flag), I think system doesn't charge the kexts in Extra/Extensions and I have a KP shownig down:

Attached File  4_Chamaleon_2_RC1_without__x32_flag.jpg   994KB   116 downloads

When I boot in 32bit:

- No KP with Chameleon v1012.

Attached File  1_Chameleon_v1012.jpg   697.36KB   88 downloads

- Random KP with Chameleon 2 RC1.

Attached File  2_Chameleon_2_RC1__x32_flag.jpg   584.66KB   74 downloads

Attached File  3_Chameleon_2_RC1__x32_flag_Activity_Monitor.jpg   679.3KB   59 downloads

What can I do? I don't know what's the problem?
Could you write all the steps and upload the necessary files?

Thanks you very much.

Hardware: GA-965p-S3 rev 1.0 firmware F12, 2.13GHz E6300, 4GB RAM, 8600GTS

Slither2008

Slither2008

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

I have edited my SMBios.plist changing the SMProductname but I'm still having poping noises. I upload a screenshot of my System Profiler, I'm using Chameleon v1012 and the System Profiler doesn't show a MacPro Identifier but with "Chameleon 2.0 r431+Netkas PC EFI 10 1 boot" it shows it.

I have problems booting in 64bit(-x64 flag), I think system doesn't charge the kexts in Extra/Extensions and I have a KP shownig down:

Attached File  4_Chamaleon_2_RC1_without__x32_flag.jpg   994KB   116 downloads

When I boot in 32bit:

- No KP with Chameleon v1012.

Attached File  1_Chameleon_v1012.jpg   697.36KB   88 downloads

- Random KP with Chameleon 2 RC1.

Attached File  2_Chameleon_2_RC1__x32_flag.jpg   584.66KB   74 downloads

Attached File  3_Chameleon_2_RC1__x32_flag_Activity_Monitor.jpg   679.3KB   59 downloads

What can I do? I don't know what's the problem?
Could you write all the steps and upload the necessary files?

Thanks you very much.

Hardware: GA-965p-S3 rev 1.0 firmware F12, 2.13GHz E6300, 4GB RAM, 8600GTS

Hi Cartier82,

Screenshot 1 : I noticed that your fakesmc by netkas is not loading. You're going to have to try and resolve that. I've attached the copy I'm using.

Screenshot 2 : The Identifier (SMproductname) should be MacPro3,1.

Screenshot 3 : I see you corrected this and it now properly reads MacPro3,1. Another difference I did was to set the BOOT Rom Version also. Set it to MP31.00C1.080209154. (See attached screenshot). Lastly I entered in my Snow Leopard UUID (Disk Utility -> Get Info on Snow Leopard partition), you'll see I've entered all 3 adjustments in the smbios.plist which is attached. I've also attached the fakesmc.kext I'm using also (Thanks Netkas).

Posted Image

Here is my Audio listed in the System Profiler.

Posted Image

Attached Files

vincechan06

vincechan06

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hi Slither2008,
Sorry for my ignorance, but how do you get that window "Audio Devices" in your above image?

Slither2008

Slither2008

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Hi Slither2008,
Sorry for my ignorance, but how do you get that window "Audio Devices" in your above image?

That's not an ignorant question. It wasn't until recently that I discovered it myself. It's called "Audio Midi Setup" and can be found in "/Applications/Utilities/Audio Midi Setup"

I got some great news I'll post shortly! :(

vincechan06

vincechan06

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

That's not an ignorant question. It wasn't until recently that I discovered it myself. It's called "Audio Midi Setup" and can be found in "/Applications/Utilities/Audio Midi Setup"

I got some great news I'll post shortly! :(

That's cool. Thanks. BTW, my internal speakers can only do 2-channels. From the Configure Speakers button, the selection of the Multichannel 5.1 surround is greyed out. How can this be enabled?

Slither2008

Slither2008

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

That's cool. Thanks. BTW, my internal speakers can only do 2-channels. From the Configure Speakers button, the selection of the Multichannel 5.1 surround is greyed out. How can this be enabled?

I got 7.1 Surround working. I'll do up a guide for you this evening with the new sound kexts I've patched.

vincechan06

vincechan06

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

I got 7.1 Surround working. I'll do up a guide for you this evening with the new sound kexts I've patched.

Thank you very much. I'll wait for your guide.

Cartier82

Cartier82

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Hi Cartier82,

Screenshot 1 : I noticed that your fakesmc by netkas is not loading. You're going to have to try and resolve that. I've attached the copy I'm using.

Screenshot 2 : The Identifier (SMproductname) should be MacPro3,1.

Screenshot 3 : I see you corrected this and it now properly reads MacPro3,1. Another difference I did was to set the BOOT Rom Version also. Set it to MP31.00C1.080209154. (See attached screenshot). Lastly I entered in my Snow Leopard UUID (Disk Utility -> Get Info on Snow Leopard partition), you'll see I've entered all 3 adjustments in the smbios.plist which is attached. I've also attached the fakesmc.kext I'm using also (Thanks Netkas).

Posted Image

Here is my Audio listed in the System Profiler.

Posted Image

Hi Slither2008.

I have fix all my problems:

- First of all, I have activated the 64bit HPET support in my Bios.
- I have recompiled my DSDT.aml (with HPET fix)
- I have corrected the SMbios and the PlatformUUID with the UUID from my HD.
- The fakesmc has been always the same (last Netkas Kext).
- I have deleted the Disabler.kext because it doesn't charge in 64bit mode (I think it doesn't support it). I don't know what kexts it disabler.
- Then I reboot in 64bit mode (-x64 flag) and everything is OK.

Also I have edited the smbios to show RAM as a DDR2, changing SMmemtype to 19. Now I'm going to change the BOOT Rom Version and I'll try charge the JmicronATA.Kext.

This is my Audio listed in System Profiler:
Attached File  Captura_de_pantalla_2009_09_06_a_las_11.20.48.jpg   554.78KB   84 downloads

And my Extra folder:
Attached File  Extra.jpg   100.34KB   137 downloads

To finish, I would like to ask you two questions:

Do you have your HPET in 64bit mode in your Bios?
Do you have any problem with the Disabler.kext in 64bit mode?

Thank you very much.

[Updarte] I haven't problems with your Disabler.kext in 64 bit mode.

Terence Loh

Terence Loh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Hi Slither2008.

I have fix all my problems:

- First of all, I have activated the 64bit HPET support in my Bios.
- I have recompiled my DSDT.aml (with HPET fix)
- I have corrected the SMbios and the PlatformUUID with the UUID from my HD.
- The fakesmc has been always the same (last Netkas Kext).
- I have deleted the Disabler.kext because it doesn't charge in 64bit mode (I think it doesn't support it). I don't know what kexts it disabler.
- Then I reboot in 64bit mode (-x64 flag) and everything is OK.

Also I have edited the smbios to show RAM as a DDR2, changing SMmemtype to 19. Now I'm going to change the BOOT Rom Version and I'll try charge the JmicronATA.Kext.

This is my Audio listed in System Profiler:
Attached File  Captura_de_pantalla_2009_09_06_a_las_11.20.48.jpg   554.78KB   84 downloads

And my Extra folder:
Attached File  Extra.jpg   100.34KB   137 downloads

To finish, I would like to ask you two questions:

Do you have your HPET in 64bit mode in your Bios?
Do you have any problem with the Disabler.kext in 64bit mode?

Thank you very much.

Hi Slither,
Thank you for your posts. I'm now running Snow thanks to your guide. Everything working fine, no panics whatever.
Audio working too without the pop. Do you know how to set boot timer in chameleon 2 RC1. I have a few partitions and would like it to auto start after 5 secs instead of waiting for my prompt. Thank you.

vincechan06

vincechan06

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Hi Slither,
Thank you for your posts. I'm now running Snow thanks to your guide. Everything working fine, no panics whatever.
Audio working too without the pop. Do you know how to set boot timer in chameleon 2 RC1. I have a few partitions and would like it to auto start after 5 secs instead of waiting for my prompt. Thank you.

Is this what you need?
<key>Timeout</key>
		<string>5</string>
		<key>Wait</key>
		<string>No</string>

Edit in com.apple.Boot.plist.

Slither2008

Slither2008

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
GA-965-S3 Kext Pack v2

Features
- Sleep / Wake via USB or Bluetooh
- Full Audio
- LAN
- GFX (Using EFI String)
- SATA ICH8 compatibility

Audio
Firstly if you'd like digital audio out then go here : link. Thanks to BlackCH's ALC883 Legacy kext we have an audio solution for the GA-965P-S3. I've taken it one step further and have modified it for Analogue 7.1 Surround sound and autoswitch between the back internal speakers and front headphones on the front jack. You need to configure the speakers in Snow Leopard to take advantage of your new 4 analog outputs. Follow the guide in step 5 later.

I followed Master Chiefs guide and gathered all the Verb's PinDefaults & ConfigData that I needed. I then found BlackCH's kext pack. The config data was near identical so I modified it to allow output on all analogue outputs. I also added in the ability to detect if you plug in headphones at the front, it re-routes the audio from the back to the front.

Features
- System Profiler correctly lists the ALC883
- Headphones works + autodetect/switch audio source
- Line-out (Green) works
- Line-out (Black) works
- Line-out (Orange) works
- Line-out (Grey) works
- Line-In works
- Mic works
- No Sound Assertions!!!

Network
I didn't do much here. I just copied the vanilla IONetworkingFamily.kext, modified it for the 8E8056 LAN chip.

Graphics
Everyone has different graphics cards installed usually. I used EFI Studio to make my graphics hex string. I then placed it inside the com.apple.Boot.plist file. It's very easy to do and has support for quite a few Nvidia & ATI cards.

Patched BIOS DSDT
- Patched Audio
- Patched USB
- Patched CMOS error

Installation Instructions (Download pack and view in Finder's Coverflow)
1. Install Chameleon first
2. Place in the Root of your Snow Leopard Drive
3. Drag this onto Kext Utility
4. Edit the com.apple.Boot.plist file and add in your GFX card hex string then drop in the Snow Leopard Drive's Extra folder
5. Configure Speakers
6. Reboot

Snow Leopard Kext Pack v2
Download : Here

Audio Information
For the Technically inclinded I've included the complete ALC883 Verb list, codec dump & codegraph/graphviz output
Download : link

Enjoy!

Hi Cartier82,

I'm glad it's looking better for you. To answer your question, no I don't have HPET 64bit enabled in the Bios.

Hi Terrance Leo,

I'm glad it all worked out for you.

Regards,

Slither2008.

vincechan06

vincechan06

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hi Slither2008,
For me to get the 7.1 (or 5.1) Surround to work, do I just need to replace the Legacy kexts files with the ones in your v2 Pack?

Cartier82

Cartier82

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

GA-965-S3 Kext Pack v2

Features
- Full Audio
- LAN
- GFX (Using EFI String)

Audio
Firstly if you'd like digital audio out then go here : link. Thanks to BlackCH's ALC883 Legacy kext we have an audio solution for the GA-965P-S3. I've taken it one step further and have modified it for Analogue 7.1 Surround sound and autoswitch between the back internal speakers and front headphones on the front jack. You need to configure the speakers in Snow Leopard to take advantage of your new 4 analog outputs. Follow the guide in step 5 later.

I followed Master Chiefs guide and gathered all the Verb's PinDefaults & ConfigData that I needed. I then found BlackCH's kext pack. The config data was near identical so I modified it to allow output on all analogue outputs. I also added in the ability to detect if you plug in headphones at the front, it re-routes the audio from the back to the front.

Features
- Line-out (Green) works
- Line-out (Black) works
- Line-out (Grey) works
- Line-In works
- Mic works
- No Sound Assertions!!!

Network
I didn't do much here. I just copied the vanilla IONetworkingFamily.kext, modified it for the 8E8056 LAN chip.

Graphics
Everyone has different graphics cards installed usually. I used EFI Studio to make my graphics hex string. I then placed it inside the com.apple.Boot.plist file. It's very easy to do and has support for quite a few Nvidia & ATI cards.

Patched BIOS DSDT
- Patched Audio
- Patched USB
- Patched CMOS error

4. Edit the com.apple.Boot.plist file and add in your GFX card hex string then drop in the Snow Leopard Drive's Extra folder
5. Configure Speakers
6. Reboot

Audio Information
For the Technically inclinded I've included the complete ALC883 Verb list, codec dump & codegraph/graphviz output

Enjoy!

Hi Slither,

I'm testing the JmicronATA.kext, no KP at the moment.
Attached File  Captura_de_pantalla_2009_09_06_a_las_18.01.23.jpg   565.45KB   34 downloads
Attached File  Captura_de_pantalla_2009_09_06_a_las_18.04.26.jpg   498.69KB   15 downloads

Could you explain how patch the DSDT.aml (for USB and Audio)?

Thanks

Slither2008

Slither2008

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Hi Slither2008,
For me to get the 7.1 (or 5.1) Surround to work, do I just need to replace the Legacy kexts files with the ones in your v2 Pack?

Hi Vincechan06,

Yes that is correct, you will need to replace the Legacy kexts with the 3 I have provided in the pack.

Hi Slither,

I'm testing the JmicronATA.kext, no KP at the moment.
Attached File  Captura_de_pantalla_2009_09_06_a_las_18.01.23.jpg   565.45KB   34 downloads
Attached File  Captura_de_pantalla_2009_09_06_a_las_18.04.26.jpg   498.69KB   15 downloads

Could you explain how patch the DSDT.aml (for USB and Audio)?

Thanks

No problems,

Here is where I sourced the information for the USB fix (credit to Innerz) : link

Regarding the Audio DSDT patch you need to add the following (credit to Master Chief) :

Device (HDEF)
   {
	   Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
	   Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
	   {
		   Return (Package (0x02)
		   {
			   0x0D, 
			   0x05
		   })
	   }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
	   {
		   Store (Package (0x0A)
		   {
			   "built-in",
			   Buffer (One)
			   {
				   0x00
			   },

"codec-id",
			   Buffer (0x04)
			   {
				   /* 0x10EC0883/283904131 */	0x83, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
			   },

"layout-id",
			   Buffer (0x04)
			   {
				   /* 883 */	0x73, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
			   },

"device-type",
			   Buffer (0x10)
			   {
				   "Realtek ALC883"
			   },

"PinConfigurations",
			  Buffer (0x01)
			  {
				  0x00
			  }

}, Local0)
		   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
		   Return (Local0)
	   }
   }

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)
 {
 	If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)
 		{
 		/* 0000 */	0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44,
 		/* 0008 */	0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B
 		}))
 	{
 		If (LEqual (Arg1, One))
 		{
 			If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
 			{
 				Store (Buffer (One)
 				{
 					0x03
 				}, Arg4)
 				Return (One)
 			}

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))
 			{
 				Return (One)
 			}
 		}
 	}

Store (Buffer (One)
 	{
 		0x00
 	}, Arg4)
 	Return (Zero)
 }

What does it do? Basically it allows the OS to detect the audio device and all of it's PinConfigurations. This is very important. I found that even though I was just leaving PinConfigurations with nothing the OS was detecting all the PinConfigurations, which is good since it saved me having to manually set all PinConfigurations myself.

hordaktheman

hordaktheman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I just want to give a big 'thank you' to Slither2008 and moarfish for their contributions to this thread. You have both been a huge help. I'm still new to OS X (kernel extensions were completely alien to me for one thing) but I am far more confident after reading this thread.

That said, I want to point out that IONetworkingFamily.kext may be corrupt in your .zip file. I had to fix the .plist manually for my ethernet controller to work because I would get a kernel panic during boot when I used your kext. Everything else is stable bar one kernel panic upon launching Front Row, and I've yet to get audio working. Those two may be related but, again, I'm still in the starting holes with Snow Leopard (and OSx86 in general).

Anyway, thanks again. You guys are champs.

Slither2008

Slither2008

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

I just want to give a big 'thank you' to Slither2008 and moarfish for their contributions to this thread. You have both been a huge help. I'm still new to OS X (kernel extensions were completely alien to me for one thing) but I am far more confident after reading this thread.

That said, I want to point out that IONetworkingFamily.kext may be corrupt in your .zip file. I had to fix the .plist manually for my ethernet controller to work because I would get a kernel panic during boot when I used your kext. Everything else is stable bar one kernel panic upon launching Front Row, and I've yet to get audio working. Those two may be related but, again, I'm still in the starting holes with Snow Leopard (and OSx86 in general).

Anyway, thanks again. You guys are champs.

That's no probs.

I agree, Moarfish was the one who got me started with Snow Leopard, Thanks! :)

Here's a little blog I did on my whole audio experience for anyone interested : link

vincechan06

vincechan06

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Hi Vincechan06,

Yes that is correct, you will need to replace the Legacy kexts with the 3 I have provided in the pack.

Thanks Slither2008. I'll give it a try tonight. Will post the result.

parkersmith

parkersmith

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

GA-965-S3 Kext Pack v2

Features
- Full Audio
- LAN
- GFX (Using EFI String)

Audio

Features
- Line-out (Green) works
- Line-out (Black) works
- Line-out (Grey) works
- Line-In works
- Mic works
- No Sound Assertions!!!

Network

Graphics

Patched BIOS DSDT
- Patched Audio
- Patched USB
- Patched CMOS error

5. Configure Speakers
6. Reboot

Audio Information

Enjoy!

Can you give some detail about editing your smbios.plist and PlatformUUID file? I have read so many different post, it is conflicting as to what exactly goes into theses to files.

Also, how did you configure your speakers if you were not yet booted into Snow Leopard? Did I miss a step above?

Terence Loh

Terence Loh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Hi Vincechan06,

No problems,

Here is where I sourced the information for the USB fix (credit to Innerz) : link

Regarding the Audio DSDT patch you need to add the following (credit to Master Chief) :

Device (HDEF)
	{
		Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
		Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
		{
			Return (Package (0x02)
			{
				0x0D, 
				0x05
			})
		}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
		{
			Store (Package (0x0A)
			{
				"built-in",
				Buffer (One)
				{
					0x00
				},

"codec-id",
				Buffer (0x04)
				{
					/* 0x10EC0883/283904131 */	0x83, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
				},

"layout-id",
				Buffer (0x04)
				{
					/* 883 */	0x73, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
				},

"device-type",
				Buffer (0x10)
				{
					"Realtek ALC883"
				},

"PinConfigurations",
			   Buffer (0x01)
			   {
				   0x00
			   }

}, Local0)
			DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
			Return (Local0)
		}
	}

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)
  {
	  If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)
		  {
		  /* 0000 */	0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44,
		  /* 0008 */	0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B
		  }))
	  {
		  If (LEqual (Arg1, One))
		  {
			  If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
			  {
				  Store (Buffer (One)
				  {
					  0x03
				  }, Arg4)
				  Return (One)
			  }

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))
			  {
				  Return (One)
			  }
		  }
	  }

Store (Buffer (One)
	  {
		  0x00
	  }, Arg4)
	  Return (Zero)
  }

What does it do? Basically it allows the OS to detect the audio device and all of it's PinConfigurations. This is very important. I found that even though I was just leaving PinConfigurations with nothing the OS was detecting all the PinConfigurations, which is good since it saved me having to manually set all PinConfigurations myself.

Hi Slither,
Everything working perfect now. Except i couldn't boot using -x32. It defaults to x64 using chameleon 2 RC1. I tried booting -x32 but got kernel panic. Is it becasue i installed snow using usb instead of DVD? I'm default to 64 bits now...
Thank you.

Is this what you need?

<key>Timeout</key>
		<string>5</string>
		<key>Wait</key>
		<string>No</string>

Edit in com.apple.Boot.plist.

Hi Vincechan,
Thank you very much. This works perfectly!

Slither2008

Slither2008

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Can you give some detail about editing your smbios.plist and PlatformUUID file? I have read so many different post, it is conflicting as to what exactly goes into theses to files.

Also, how did you configure your speakers if you were not yet booted into Snow Leopard? Did I miss a step above?

Hi Parkersmith,

Thanks for spotting that bug in the kext pack. Yes you are correct, you must boot into Snow Leopard first and then configure the speakers. I'll correct this when I get home (I'm on a WindBlowz PC atm).

I'll get a you the smbios.plist I started with and then instruct you as to what needs to be changed. I'll be home later this evening.

Hi Slither,
Everything working perfect now. Except i couldn't boot using -x32. It defaults to x64 using chameleon 2 RC1. I tried booting -x32 but got kernel panic. Is it becasue i installed snow using usb instead of DVD? I'm default to 64 bits now...
Thank you.

Can you send a screenshot of your kp please.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy