GA-965-S3 Kext Pack v2

Features

- Sleep / Wake via USB or Bluetooh

- Full Audio

- LAN

- GFX (Using EFI String)

- SATA ICH8 compatibility

Audio

Firstly if you'd like digital audio out then go here : link. Thanks to BlackCH's ALC883 Legacy kext we have an audio solution for the GA-965P-S3. I've taken it one step further and have modified it for Analogue 7.1 Surround sound and autoswitch between the back internal speakers and front headphones on the front jack. You need to configure the speakers in Snow Leopard to take advantage of your new 4 analog outputs. Follow the guide in step 5 later.

I followed Master Chiefs guide and gathered all the Verb's PinDefaults & ConfigData that I needed. I then found BlackCH's kext pack. The config data was near identical so I modified it to allow output on all analogue outputs. I also added in the ability to detect if you plug in headphones at the front, it re-routes the audio from the back to the front.

Features

- System Profiler correctly lists the ALC883

- Headphones works + autodetect/switch audio source

- Line-out (Green) works

- Line-out (Black) works

- Line-out (Orange) works

- Line-out (Grey) works

- Line-In works

- Mic works

- No Sound Assertions!!!

Network

I didn't do much here. I just copied the vanilla IONetworkingFamily.kext, modified it for the 8E8056 LAN chip.

Graphics

Everyone has different graphics cards installed usually. I used EFI Studio to make my graphics hex string. I then placed it inside the com.apple.Boot.plist file. It's very easy to do and has support for quite a few Nvidia & ATI cards.

Patched BIOS DSDT

- Patched Audio

- Patched USB

- Patched CMOS error

Installation Instructions (Download pack and view in Finder's Coverflow)

1. Install Chameleon first

2. Place in the Root of your Snow Leopard Drive

3. Drag this onto Kext Utility

4. Edit the com.apple.Boot.plist file and add in your GFX card hex string then drop in the Snow Leopard Drive's Extra folder

5. Configure Speakers

6. Reboot

Snow Leopard Kext Pack v2

Download : Here

Audio Information

For the Technically inclinded I've included the complete ALC883 Verb list, codec dump & codegraph/graphviz output

Download : link

Enjoy!

Hi Cartier82,

I'm glad it's looking better for you. To answer your question, no I don't have HPET 64bit enabled in the Bios.

Hi Terrance Leo,

I'm glad it all worked out for you.

Regards,

Slither2008.

GA-965-S3 Kext Pack v2

Features

- Full Audio

- LAN

- GFX (Using EFI String)

Audio

Firstly if you'd like digital audio out then go here : link. Thanks to BlackCH's ALC883 Legacy kext we have an audio solution for the GA-965P-S3. I've taken it one step further and have modified it for Analogue 7.1 Surround sound and autoswitch between the back internal speakers and front headphones on the front jack. You need to configure the speakers in Snow Leopard to take advantage of your new 4 analog outputs. Follow the guide in step 5 later.

I followed Master Chiefs guide and gathered all the Verb's PinDefaults & ConfigData that I needed. I then found BlackCH's kext pack. The config data was near identical so I modified it to allow output on all analogue outputs. I also added in the ability to detect if you plug in headphones at the front, it re-routes the audio from the back to the front.

Features

- Line-out (Green) works

- Line-out (Black) works

- Line-out (Grey) works

- Line-In works

- Mic works

- No Sound Assertions!!!

Network

I didn't do much here. I just copied the vanilla IONetworkingFamily.kext, modified it for the 8E8056 LAN chip.

Graphics

Everyone has different graphics cards installed usually. I used EFI Studio to make my graphics hex string. I then placed it inside the com.apple.Boot.plist file. It's very easy to do and has support for quite a few Nvidia & ATI cards.

Patched BIOS DSDT

- Patched Audio

- Patched USB

- Patched CMOS error

4. Edit the com.apple.Boot.plist file and add in your GFX card hex string then drop in the Snow Leopard Drive's Extra folder

5. Configure Speakers

6. Reboot

Audio Information

For the Technically inclinded I've included the complete ALC883 Verb list, codec dump & codegraph/graphviz output

Enjoy!

Hi Slither,

I'm testing the JmicronATA.kext, no KP at the moment.

post-104621-1252253139_thumb.jpg

post-104621-1252253160_thumb.jpg

Could you explain how patch the DSDT.aml (for USB and Audio)?

Thanks

Hi Slither2008,

For me to get the 7.1 (or 5.1) Surround to work, do I just need to replace the Legacy kexts files with the ones in your v2 Pack?

Hi Vincechan06,

Yes that is correct, you will need to replace the Legacy kexts with the 3 I have provided in the pack.

Hi Slither,

I'm testing the JmicronATA.kext, no KP at the moment.

post-104621-1252253139_thumb.jpg

post-104621-1252253160_thumb.jpg

Could you explain how patch the DSDT.aml (for USB and Audio)?

Thanks

No problems,

Here is where I sourced the information for the USB fix (credit to Innerz) : link

Regarding the Audio DSDT patch you need to add the following (credit to Master Chief) :

Device (HDEF)
  {
   Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
   Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
   {
	   Return (Package (0x02)
	   {
		   0x0D, 
		   0x05
	   })
   }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
   {
	   Store (Package (0x0A)
	   {
		   "built-in",
		   Buffer (One)
		   {
			   0x00
		   },

"codec-id",
		   Buffer (0x04)
		   {
			   /* 0x10EC0883/283904131 */	0x83, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
		   },

"layout-id",
		   Buffer (0x04)
		   {
			   /* 883 */	0x73, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
		   },

"device-type",
		   Buffer (0x10)
		   {
			   "Realtek ALC883"
		   },

"PinConfigurations",
		  Buffer (0x01)
		  {
			  0x00
		  }

}, Local0)
	   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
	   Return (Local0)
   }
  }

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)
{
	If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)
		{
		/* 0000 */	0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44,
		/* 0008 */	0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B
		}))
	{
		If (LEqual (Arg1, One))
		{
			If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
			{
				Store (Buffer (One)
				{
					0x03
				}, Arg4)
				Return (One)
			}

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))
			{
				Return (One)
			}
		}
	}

Store (Buffer (One)
	{
		0x00
	}, Arg4)
	Return (Zero)
}

What does it do? Basically it allows the OS to detect the audio device and all of it's PinConfigurations. This is very important. I found that even though I was just leaving PinConfigurations with nothing the OS was detecting all the PinConfigurations, which is good since it saved me having to manually set all PinConfigurations myself.

I just want to give a big 'thank you' to Slither2008 and moarfish for their contributions to this thread. You have both been a huge help. I'm still new to OS X (kernel extensions were completely alien to me for one thing) but I am far more confident after reading this thread.

That said, I want to point out that IONetworkingFamily.kext may be corrupt in your .zip file. I had to fix the .plist manually for my ethernet controller to work because I would get a kernel panic during boot when I used your kext. Everything else is stable bar one kernel panic upon launching Front Row, and I've yet to get audio working. Those two may be related but, again, I'm still in the starting holes with Snow Leopard (and OSx86 in general).

Anyway, thanks again. You guys are champs.

I just want to give a big 'thank you' to Slither2008 and moarfish for their contributions to this thread. You have both been a huge help. I'm still new to OS X (kernel extensions were completely alien to me for one thing) but I am far more confident after reading this thread.

That said, I want to point out that IONetworkingFamily.kext may be corrupt in your .zip file. I had to fix the .plist manually for my ethernet controller to work because I would get a kernel panic during boot when I used your kext. Everything else is stable bar one kernel panic upon launching Front Row, and I've yet to get audio working. Those two may be related but, again, I'm still in the starting holes with Snow Leopard (and OSx86 in general).

Anyway, thanks again. You guys are champs.

That's no probs.

I agree, Moarfish was the one who got me started with Snow Leopard, Thanks! :)

Here's a little blog I did on my whole audio experience for anyone interested : link

GA-965-S3 Kext Pack v2

Features

- Full Audio

- LAN

- GFX (Using EFI String)

Audio

Features

- Line-out (Green) works

- Line-out (Black) works

- Line-out (Grey) works

- Line-In works

- Mic works

- No Sound Assertions!!!

Network

Graphics

Patched BIOS DSDT

- Patched Audio

- Patched USB

- Patched CMOS error

5. Configure Speakers

6. Reboot

Audio Information

Enjoy!

Can you give some detail about editing your smbios.plist and PlatformUUID file? I have read so many different post, it is conflicting as to what exactly goes into theses to files.

Also, how did you configure your speakers if you were not yet booted into Snow Leopard? Did I miss a step above?

Hi Vincechan06,

Yes that is correct, you will need to replace the Legacy kexts with the 3 I have provided in the pack.

No problems,

Here is where I sourced the information for the USB fix (credit to Innerz) : link

Regarding the Audio DSDT patch you need to add the following (credit to Master Chief) :

Device (HDEF)
{
	Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
	Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
	{
		Return (Package (0x02)
		{
			0x0D, 
			0x05
		})
	}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
	{
		Store (Package (0x0A)
		{
			"built-in",
			Buffer (One)
			{
				0x00
			},

"codec-id",
			Buffer (0x04)
			{
				/* 0x10EC0883/283904131 */	0x83, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
			},

"layout-id",
			Buffer (0x04)
			{
				/* 883 */	0x73, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
			},

"device-type",
			Buffer (0x10)
			{
				"Realtek ALC883"
			},

"PinConfigurations",
		   Buffer (0x01)
		   {
			   0x00
		   }

}, Local0)
		DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
		Return (Local0)
	}
}

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)
 {
  If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)
	  {
	  /* 0000 */	0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44,
	  /* 0008 */	0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B
	  }))
  {
	  If (LEqual (Arg1, One))
	  {
		  If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
		  {
			  Store (Buffer (One)
			  {
				  0x03
			  }, Arg4)
			  Return (One)
		  }

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))
		  {
			  Return (One)
		  }
	  }
  }

Store (Buffer (One)
  {
	  0x00
  }, Arg4)
  Return (Zero)
 }

What does it do? Basically it allows the OS to detect the audio device and all of it's PinConfigurations. This is very important. I found that even though I was just leaving PinConfigurations with nothing the OS was detecting all the PinConfigurations, which is good since it saved me having to manually set all PinConfigurations myself.

Hi Slither,

Everything working perfect now. Except i couldn't boot using -x32. It defaults to x64 using chameleon 2 RC1. I tried booting -x32 but got kernel panic. Is it becasue i installed snow using usb instead of DVD? I'm default to 64 bits now...

Thank you.

Is this what you need?

<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>5</string>
	<key>Wait</key>
	<string>No</string>

Edit in com.apple.Boot.plist.

Hi Vincechan,

Thank you very much. This works perfectly!

Can you give some detail about editing your smbios.plist and PlatformUUID file? I have read so many different post, it is conflicting as to what exactly goes into theses to files.

Also, how did you configure your speakers if you were not yet booted into Snow Leopard? Did I miss a step above?

Hi Parkersmith,

Thanks for spotting that bug in the kext pack. Yes you are correct, you must boot into Snow Leopard first and then configure the speakers. I'll correct this when I get home (I'm on a WindBlowz PC atm).

I'll get a you the smbios.plist I started with and then instruct you as to what needs to be changed. I'll be home later this evening.

Hi Slither,

Everything working perfect now. Except i couldn't boot using -x32. It defaults to x64 using chameleon 2 RC1. I tried booting -x32 but got kernel panic. Is it becasue i installed snow using usb instead of DVD? I'm default to 64 bits now...

Thank you.

Can you send a screenshot of your kp please.

Hi Parkersmith,

Thanks for spotting that bug in the kext pack. Yes you are correct, you must boot into Snow Leopard first and then configure the speakers. I'll correct this when I get home (I'm on a WindBlowz PC atm).

I'll get a you the smbios.plist I started with and then instruct you as to what needs to be changed. I'll be home later this evening.

Well, I finally read enough to figure out how to get my HD UUID and MAC address entered into the smbios.plist and PlatformUUID. Seems like there should be some detailed instructions for this in the guide. This is required right? I dont recall having to edit the plist in smbios with 10.5.7. I was finally able to get booted, but without audio working. No KP now. I have re-copied the legacy audio drivers back into Extra/Extensions, but no luck.

Now that I am back up and running with 10.6, I have two outstanding issues that I am just stumped on.

1) No audio - I have legacy drivers loaded from your Version 2 Kext Pack and I do see Assertions when loading. Do I need to load VooDooHDA.kext? I though this got away from that.

2) Bigger issue, no IDE drives for my DVD drives. The strange thing is, I have reloaded Snow 3 times now, and 1 out of the 3 times, the IDE worked. Maybe it was a different DSDT that I used? I am using yours now. I guess I need to figure out how to patch my own. My MoBo is a Gigabyte 965P-DS3 and there is instructions on another post on how to get IDE working and I followed it, but still no luck. Are you running the same MoBo? Do my JMicronATA.kext drivers need to be in Extra/Extensions or S/L/E?

I guess I am going to quit for the night before I break things beyond repair.

GA-965P-S3 Kext Pack v2.1 (NOT COMPATIBLE WITH OS X 10.6.2+)

Change Log :

- Fixed a typo in the USB DSDT FIX

- Corrected the instructions (Step 5 and 6)

USB Devices now won't be forcefully removed when the computer is put to sleep. Credit to Innerz for sharing his find.

Well, I finally read enough to figure out how to get my HD UUID and MAC address entered into the smbios.plist and PlatformUUID. Seems like there should be some detailed instructions for this in the guide. This is required right? I dont recall having to edit the plist in smbios with 10.5.7. I was finally able to get booted, but without audio working. No KP now. I have re-copied the legacy audio drivers back into Extra/Extensions, but no luck.

Now that I am back up and running with 10.6, I have two outstanding issues that I am just stumped on.

1) No audio - I have legacy drivers loaded from your Version 2 Kext Pack and I do see Assertions when loading. Do I need to load VooDooHDA.kext? I though this got away from that.

2) Bigger issue, no IDE drives for my DVD drives. The strange thing is, I have reloaded Snow 3 times now, and 1 out of the 3 times, the IDE worked. Maybe it was a different DSDT that I used? I am using yours now. I guess I need to figure out how to patch my own. My MoBo is a Gigabyte 965P-DS3 and there is instructions on another post on how to get IDE working and I followed it, but still no luck. Are you running the same MoBo? Do my JMicronATA.kext drivers need to be in Extra/Extensions or S/L/E?

I guess I am going to quit for the night before I break things beyond repair.

Audio

To get your sound working I can help. Forget about VooDooHDA as you won't need it. You have a different version mobo to me, because of this the Audio Pin Defaults will most likely be different. If you want the 3 Legacy kexts to work they need the correct verbs in them.

I will need 2 things from you :

1. We need to check whether the DSDT.aml is doing it's job. You need IORegistry Explorer. It is included into Xcode. If you installed Xcode in your 10.5.7 you can just open that copy. It's important that you run IORegistry Explorer from in Snow Leopard not Leopard.

2. Codec dump. Use an ubuntu install cd and boot it with the "try it out" option or similar. You need to create me a codec dump. Once Ubuntu has booted up open the terminal and execute this command :

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 > ~/Desktop/codecname_codec_dump.txt

IDE

I haven't tested the JMicronATA kext. To answer your question, yes you will need to copy it into the /Extra/Extensions folder and then rebuild your kext cache using the kext utility.

SMbios.plist

I agree the smbios.plist is a bit vague. I'll try and include some instructions regarding that soon.

Hi Slither2008,

I made changes by replacing the Legacy kexts in E/E by the ones I downloaded in "Snow Leopard Kext Pack v2". Rebuilt mkext, reboot. I then open up the Configure Speakers, in multichannel, except for the "Stereo" item, the rest of the items are still greyed out. What did I do wrong?

Hi Slither2008,

I made changes by replacing the Legacy kexts in E/E by the ones I downloaded in "Snow Leopard Kext Pack v2". Rebuilt mkext, reboot. I then open up the Configure Speakers, in multichannel, except for the "Stereo" item, the rest of the items are still greyed out. What did I do wrong?

You need to create an aggregate device by clicking the plus symbol.

Then with your aggregate device selected on the left make sure that your Line Out's have a check in them on the right hand pane. You can check the first 3 for 5.1 surround or all 4 for 7.1 surround.

Then click Configure speakers and you'll see 3 or 4 streams available (depending on how many Line-outs you checked).

You'll now be able to select Multi-channel 5.1 or 7.1 (depending on how many Line-outs you checked).

Remember that unless the audio content playing has more than 2 channels you'll only hear it out of Streams 1 & 2.

You'll need to experiment to figure out what stream is going to which speaker you have connected to the pc. Click on the button above each speaker and a white noise sound will play...it's normal don't worry. That should help you figure out what is playing on what speaker.

Regards,

Slither2008.

You need to create an aggregate device by clicking the plus symbol.

Then with your aggregate device selected on the left make sure that your Line Out's have a check in them on the right hand pane. You can check the first 3 for 5.1 surround or all 4 for 7.1 surround.

Then click Configure speakers and you'll see 3 or 4 streams available (depending on how many Line-outs you checked).

You'll now be able to select Multi-channel 5.1 or 7.1 (depending on how many Line-outs you checked).

Remember that unless the audio content playing has more than 2 channels you'll only hear it out of Streams 1 & 2.

You'll need to experiment to figure out what stream is going to which speaker you have connected to the pc. Click on the button above each speaker and a white noise sound will play...it's normal don't worry. That should help you figure out what is playing on what speaker.

Regards,

Slither2008.

OK. I got it. Thanks. Created the aggregate device. Using VLC, can select between built-in output which is 2-channels and the Aggregate device which is 5.1 channels. I got some dts files that are 5.1. Is there any player that I can test them with on SL? Can't play on VLC. Output will be just hissing sound.

Hi Parkersmith,

Hi Slither,

Please see attached KP on -x32.

post-414235-1252347706_thumb.jpg

post-414235-1252347771_thumb.jpg

Thank you.

Your problem is the (possibly corrupted) IONetworkingFamily.kext that I mentioned in my earlier post on page 3.

I had the exact same problem and had to remove the kext from my Extra/Extensions folder for the OS to boot. Then I manually fixed the original kext in /System/Library/Extensions to enable networking. It may be down to different motherboard revisions or whatnot (I'm running 965p-DS3 rev3.3) but doing this solved the problem for me.

Your problem is the (possibly corrupted) IONetworkingFamily.kext that I mentioned in my earlier post on page 3.

I had the exact same problem and had to remove the kext from my Extra/Extensions folder for the OS to boot. Then I manually fixed the original kext in /System/Library/Extensions to enable networking. It may be down to different motherboard revisions or whatnot (I'm running 965p-DS3 rev3.3) but doing this solved the problem for me.

Hi,

It boot fine in 64 bits, only kp in 32bit.

Did you have the same problem?

By the way, is it possible to ccc or super duper with this method of installation?

I asked because the harddisk uuid would be different so i assume we couldn't boot into the cloned disk.

Thank you.

Hi Slither or any experts,

Is it possible to ccc or super duper with this method of installation?

I asked because the harddisk uuid would be different so i assume we couldn't boot into the cloned disk. If not, what's the best method of keeping a clone copy of installation?

Thank you.

Hi Slither,

Please see attached KP on -x32.

post-414235-1252347706_thumb.jpg

post-414235-1252347771_thumb.jpg

Thank you.

Hi Terence,

It looks like you're getting a kp when it tries to look for AppleHDAController.kext. I haven't touched my /System/Extensions/ folder so I haven't had any issues like this. Have you moved/modified any files in your /System/Extensions/ folder? It's important that you rebuild the cache when you do. I believe the AppleHDAController.kext is a plugin kext found inside the AppleHDA.kext. Right-click on /System/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext and click Show Package contents. Navigate into Contents/Plugins and see if the AppleHDAController.kext is in there.

Regards,

Steve.

OK. I got it. Thanks. Created the aggregate device. Using VLC, can select between built-in output which is 2-channels and the Aggregate device which is 5.1 channels. I got some dts files that are 5.1. Is there any player that I can test them with on SL? Can't play on VLC. Output will be just hissing sound.

Hi vincechan06,

That's really unusual that VLC is outputing hissing. I'm using VLC also and have an mkv with multichannel sound playing fine through it. Have you confirmed you can hear sound in all speakers using the Audio Midi Setup -> Configure Speakers -> click on each speaker button and confirm the white noise.

Regards,

Steve.

Hi Terence,

It looks like you're getting a kp when it tries to look for AppleHDAController.kext. I haven't touched my /System/Extensions/ folder so I haven't had any issues like this. Have you moved/modified any files in your /System/Extensions/ folder? It's important that you rebuild the cache when you do. I believe the AppleHDAController.kext is a plugin kext found inside the AppleHDA.kext. Right-click on /System/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext and click Show Package contents. Navigate into Contents/Plugins and see if the AppleHDAController.kext is in there.

Huh?

It looks like it's IONetworkingFamily.kext from here. I had the same problem - it would only let me boot using the 64bit kernel. I had to delete IONetworkingFamily.kext from /Extra/Extensions (which didn't serve a purpose for me anyway), then rebuild Extensions.mkext for it to allow me to boot 32bit...

Hi vincechan06,

That's really unusual that VLC is outputing hissing. I'm using VLC also and have an mkv with multichannel sound playing fine through it. Have you confirmed you can hear sound in all speakers using the Audio Midi Setup -> Configure Speakers -> click on each speaker button and confirm the white noise.

Regards,

Steve.

Hi Steve,

I was playing a DTS audio file where the hissing sound came from. Anyway, this is a small issue. I haven't tried playing an mkv file yet. I will do it when I'm back home this evening. At work now.

-vince

Huh?

It looks like it's IONetworkingFamily.kext from here. I had the same problem - it would only let me boot using the 64bit kernel. I had to delete IONetworkingFamily.kext from /Extra/Extensions (which didn't serve a purpose for me anyway), then rebuild Extensions.mkext for it to allow me to boot 32bit...

Whoops, I missed that line on the second screenshot. Thanks for the correction Sabr. This appears to be an issue with the IONetworking kext, although you also have a problem loading the AppleHDAController on screenshot 1.

Regards,

Slither2008.

Hi Terence,

Regards,

Steve.

Hi vincechan06,

Regards,

Steve.

Hi Steve,

I have AppleHDAcontroller.kext in AppleHDA.kext found Systems/Library/Extensions. Could it corrupted? Could you send me a copy of yours perhaps?

Thank you.

Huh?

Hi,

If i delete that file in the /E/E folder, would my network connections be affected in any way? What is the purpose of that file by the way?

Thank you.

Hi Steve,

I have AppleHDAcontroller.kext in AppleHDA.kext found Systems/Library/Extensions. Could it corrupted? Could you send me a copy of yours perhaps?

Thank you.

No probs, I'll help you out when I get home in the next couple of hours.

Hi,

If i delete that file in the /E/E folder, would my network connections be affected in any way? What is the purpose of that file by the way?

Thank you.

Luckily the Realtek 88E8056 hardware is detected via the OS so a DSDT patch is not necessary. All that is required is getting the kext to match the device. I modified a single network device's entry so that it would match the device id of the Realtek 88E8056 Lan chip on our board.

My IONetworkFamily.kext overrides the one stored in /S/L/E If you remove the IONetworkFamily.kext from /E/E it will revert back to the vanilla copy in /S/L/E which doesn't have the modified entry for our Realtek 88E8056.

I'm sure there is a much better way of overriding, possibly with a single info.plist like is done with the LegacyHDA type of kexts. I really haven't had time to check this out what with getting the audio working. I'll check out moarfish's IONetworkingFamily.kext which he posted earlier.

Without the file you your lan won't be matched and you won't have network connectivity.

Regards,

Steve.

No probs, I'll help you out when I get home in the next couple of hours.

Luckily the Realtek 88E8056 hardware is detected via the OS so a DSDT patch is not necessary. All that is required is getting the kext to match the device. I modified a single network device's entry so that it would match the device id of the Realtek 88E8056 Lan chip on our board.

My IONetworkFamily.kext overrides the one stored in /S/L/E If you remove the IONetworkFamily.kext from /E/E it will revert back to the vanilla copy in /S/L/E which doesn't have the modified entry for our Realtek 88E8056.

I'm sure there is a much better way of overriding, possibly with a single info.plist like is done with the LegacyHDA type of kexts. I really haven't had time to check this out what with getting the audio working. I'll check out moarfish's IONetworkingFamily.kext which he posted earlier.

Without the file you your lan won't be matched and you won't have network connectivity.

Regards,

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

I should just leave it alone then until further progress. By the way, i asked earlier about using ccc or super duper to clone my Snow to an external HDD. I couldn't boot into the cloned HDD even though i installed chameleon bootloader into it. Is there a way to clone with your method of installation?

Thank you.