[AMD] Installing Snow Leopard 10A432 on AMD System

arya

182 posts in this topic

9/12/09 11:22:12 PM kernel ATA: Device wake up failed (0x09/12/09

11:22:12 PM kernel disk1s5: no such device.0000003), terminating device...

9/12/09 11:22:12 PM kernel NTFS-fs error (device /dev/disk1s5, pid 251): ntfs_mft_record_map_ext(): Failed to read buffer of mft record 0x2e (error 6).9/12/09 11:22:12 PM kernel NTFS-fs error (device /dev/disk1s5, pid 251): ntfs_inode_read(): Failed to map mft record.

9/12/09 11:22:12 PM kernel NTFS-fs error (device /dev/disk1s5, pid 251): ntfs_inode_read(): Failed (error 6) for inode 0x2e. Run chkdsk.

9/12/09 11:22:12 PM kernel NTFS-fs error (device /dev/disk1s5, pid 251): ntfs_vnop_lookup(): Failed to get inode 0x2e (error 6).

this is what im getting on my sata hdd which contains ntfs partitions, any clue whats this about ? the ext usb drive which is also formated in ntfs doesen't have any problems. I will try to do a chkdsk see if it helps.

later edit:

yea that was it, now it works well so never mind .

Weird. This fixed it for me. What's the bug this is a workaround for?

I have 8GBs of RAM. Is that too much? :-)

Nope, nothing weird.

You are running Hac in 32-bit mode, thus user-space tools are limited with 4GB of address space.

Actually, this is fsck_hfs faulting on checks with RAM >4GB. And it fails only for the root partition.

Just boot in single-user mode and do:

# mv /sbin/fsck_hfs{,.orig}
# printf '#!/bin/bash\nexec /sbin/fsck_hfs.orig -c512m "$@"' > /sbin/fsck_hfs
# chmod +x /sbin/fsck_hfs
#

Enjoy full RAM over 4GB!

Nope, nothing weird.

You are running Hac in 32-bit mode, thus user-space tools are limited with 4GB of address space.

Actually, this is fsck_hfs faulting on checks with RAM >4GB. And it fails only for the root partition.

Just boot in single-user mode and do:

# mv /sbin/fsck_hfs{,.orig}
# printf '#!/bin/bash\nexec /sbin/fsck_hfs.orig -c512m "$@"' > /sbin/fsck_hfs
# chmod +x /sbin/fsck_hfs
#

Enjoy full RAM over 4GB!

This not work for me... shutdown immediatly :P

Installation report:

Thanks for mach_kernel.test7, I could install Snow on some AMD motherboards, though I used Chameleon RC3.

Chameleon "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" works with GeForce 7600/8600/9500/9600.

Radeon 2600XT works when device-propertis is set and X2000.kext is removed.

"GraphicsEnabler=Yes" works.

Asus M4A78 Plus

Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3, AHCI

Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H, AHCI

"GraphicsEnabler=Yes" does not work and device-properties was needed.

Gigabyte GA-M720-US3, AHCI ( because PCIe is attached to PciRoot(0x0)/PCI(0x10,0x0) ? )

--- edit ---

DSDT is PciRoot(0x1)/PCI(0x10,0x0) and fixed by DSDT patch. - Thanks to Kabyl.

I installed all of them on working 10.5.x.

As I attach USB audio, I do not patch DSDT for sound.

VoodooPower (AMD patched) works . All the CPUs are K10 (Phenom, Athlon II) and arch=i386 (32 bit).

Well I got the graphics working good but the internet is still dragging quite bad. Im using a netgear ethernet card because on leopard the built in nforce ethernet had problems running.

hey CrimsonAngel, u can use a gigabyte card. It's more compatible :(

nice.... glad that my guide can be usefull.....

Hey Arya, after I install SL, can I use back my own DSDT.aml (from 10.5.6) or do I need to search for a new DSDT?

Updated to 10.6.1

screenshot20090911at509.jpg

Bro, would you mind make a step by step installation procedure on how to run snow leopard on AMD system.

if you could also please include in your guide the kext needed and some of the files like boot file etc,it alot easier to get the files via mediafire than rapidshare. it will be a great help for most of the people here using AMD system ..

thanks alot for your help :)

Bro, would you mind make a step by step installation procedure on how to run snow leopard on AMD system.

if you could also please include in your guide the kext needed and some of the files like boot file etc,it alot easier to get the files via mediafire than rapidshare. it will be a great help for most of the people here using AMD system ..

thanks alot for your help :)

installation process in in 1st post..

thanks alot for your help ;)

lol, you're not serious?

I made it too on AMD old school hardware :thumbsup_anim:

Here are the specs

AMD A64 3000+

ASUS A8N SLi Deluxe

nVidia 6600GT

SATA HD & DVD

Everything is working fine as fas as i can tell.I also edited my dsdt to get rid of the cmos reset and replaced APplenforceATA to make my sata dvd recorder work properly.Everything else (sound,graphics,internet etc) worked from leoaprd installation packages.

Everything is really really fast and responsive.i also updated to 10.6.1 and i must mention that from the moment i booted i have not got not a single KP screen.

I have been completely Snow Leopardized since 10.6.1 is runnin on my intel laptop too.

post-61418-1253779153_thumb.png

Hey,

For those that can't go beyond the kernel panic, maybe what happened to me may help.

I have 2 HDs (3 actually, but only 2 matter here).

On the 1st one I have Leopard installed and running well, with Chameleon.

On the 2nd drive I installed Snow Leopard, the "boot" file, the kernel and Chameleon as well.

I was getting a kernel panic because I was actually booting from HD #1, and then in Chameleon I selected the Snow Leopard HD. The thing is, when you do this, the modified "boot" file won't be read/used, and hence Snow Leopard won't run.

What you have to do is to make sure you boot from the appropriate disk, even if you have a boot loader such as Chameleon installed in another HD.

Once I selected the appropriate HD at boot time (in my case, F8 at boot), Snow Leopard finally loaded.

Though, and I have a problem and I hope someone can help me with this:

For some reason, whenever I boot using the modified "boot" file, my BIOS settings get reset to the defaults. Any ideas why this can be happening and how to fix it?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just read about this problem and fixed it with a modified dsdt.aml

BTW, XNU sources are released already:

http://opensource.apple.com/source/xnu/xnu-1456.1.26/

@GFOnyX

I have a very similar pc, athlon 64 3000+ asus a8n-sli, nvidia 8400GS. Everything is working like on the old 10.5.8 leopard but I'm having a small problem with the sound. I can't change the volume from the slider or with my keyboard, when I move the slider, it goes back to it's position. Also it's really strange that I can use the slider from the audio preferences :o.

Could you try and tell me if that works for you? Also, could you upload your audio kext?

A couple of problems so far to with Energy Saver:

1. System does not wake up from sleep at all

2. When the monitor goes to sleep it comes back in 800x600; the option list does not show 1600 x 900, though it shows many other incompatible resolutions

non-optimal Workaround: set Energy saver to never sleep

Does anybody have a solution? What should I try next?

Thanks!

--g

I tried installing on my laptop, but everytime i boot up wit -x32 -v It stalls at "com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib load succeeded". I tried dropping the hdd into my desktop and chameleon doesn't even show and my computer just reboots. help?

Laptop:

Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5900

Desktop:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 940

Mobo: Asus M4A78 Pro

Ram: 8 Gigs Corsair XMS2 800 mhz

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4670

@GFOnyX

I have a very similar pc, athlon 64 3000+ asus a8n-sli, nvidia 8400GS. Everything is working like on the old 10.5.8 leopard but I'm having a small problem with the sound. I can't change the volume from the slider or with my keyboard, when I move the slider, it goes back to it's position. Also it's really strange that I can use the slider from the audio preferences :D.

Could you try and tell me if that works for you? Also, could you upload your audio kext?

This isn't so simple as it seems.i am sure if you go to itunes preferences, itunes wont show anything and also if you check Sysytem Preferences/spotlight under privacy tab it will crash the system.

These problems along with volume slider can be fixed using marvins amd utility by checking patch all binaries and select the System/library folder.If you check specific folders it will just show a "Unable to determine encrypted files...." message.

HOWEVER if you do this front row will stop from starting. Havent found a solution on this one yet.

I know the folders that need to be patced with a cpuid to fix itunes and spotlight problem.But i dont know the folder for the volume slider problem in order to keep front row working.

And all this is happening due to kernel.When Voodoo releases a SnowLeo AMD kernel we wont have these problems and we wont need Marvins AMD utility.

i have solved the itunes and spotlight problem with Front Row still working.I also found the location of the "volume slider" but patching it did not help.

The location is System/Library/coreservices/menu extras/volume.menu but as i said the solution is not there.

I guess we can back up the Front Row inside System/Library then patch the whole System/Library folder and then paste back the front row.This may work but i am not willing to try a reformat just for a volume slider in case it fails (i use front row)

OK.Finally found a solution on this one.

Solution for

• iTunes working partially
  • Spotlight crashing under privacy tab in system preferences
  • Volume Slider not moving

Just patch the System/Library folder by selecting the last option using Marvins AMD utility BUT before patching it back up the Front Row app inside System/Library/CoreServices (after patching Front Row wont start anymore).

After that reboot and paste/replace Front Row you backed up earlier, into System/Library/CoreServices in order to make it work again.

That will do the trick.Hope it helps

• Like 1