[AMD] Installing Snow Leopard 10A432 on AMD System

arya

182 posts in this topic

My Old school hardware didnt work.. Is that SSE2 also for you?

Mine does not go futher after getting the correct boot device..(keyboard & mouse also dont work)

Any help appreciated !

I made it too on AMD old school hardware :D

Here are the specs

AMD A64 3000+

ASUS A8N SLi Deluxe

nVidia 6600GT

SATA HD & DVD

Everything is working fine as fas as i can tell.I also edited my dsdt to get rid of the cmos reset and replaced APplenforceATA to make my sata dvd recorder work properly.Everything else (sound,graphics,internet etc) worked from leoaprd installation packages.

Everything is really really fast and responsive.i also updated to 10.6.1 and i must mention that from the moment i booted i have not got not a single KP screen.

I have been completely Snow Leopardized since 10.6.1 is runnin on my intel laptop too.

nuttin but KP's on my trusty old Sempron and new Phenom :P

what kind of KP... can u upload the KP sreen shot..

make sure u have replace the boot file using boot file from 1st post, chameleon rc3 boot file or pc Efi 10.3

what kind of KP... can u upload the KP sreen shot..

make sure u have replace the boot file using boot file from 1st post, chameleon rc3 boot file or pc Efi 10.3

yea I replaced the boot file. Gonna try a retail Snow Leopard this time, if I get another KP I'll take a pic and post. . .

EDIT: I tried using a retail Snow Leopard DVD and everything works great!

no more KP's ! ! !

I can confirm that this method worked for me on a non-AMD system. I have two systems, one that can run Vanilla and one that could not. The 945GZ platform is unable to use the vanilla preboot at this time.

Note: I cannot get 64bit with this kernel. I personally prefer the 32bit kernel but anyone who is looking to go 64bit will have to wait until another kernel or method is released.

MB: ECS 945GZT-M v1.0

CPU: 1.8 Ghz Pentium Dual-Core E2160

GPU: 512 Mbyte nVidia 9400GT

RAM: 2 Gbytes

Drives: 80gb SATA, 80gb PATA, DVD+RW PATA

Spammon,

I have the 945CGZ so I am wondering if they have the same issues. I was able to get to the installer and it started out fine. I guestimate that it went on about half way installing SL then I lost video. Did you get to work?

Hi arya

Thanks a lot man! I got SL running on my AMD rig.

I followed the steps mentioned in your post #1. I did not use dsdt. Because I could not compile the aml file. My dsl file was so buggy.

I could get SL up and running with EFI strings for nvidia 8400 GS. It worked fine, RTL1000 Ethernet is also working.... patched some binaries with Marvin to get rid of the occasional KPs...now SL is somewhat stable.

Everything looks fine except for the sound. My mobo is M3A78-EM. Sound is ALC1200. I tried almost everything, ALC injector, EFI string, patched HDA and HDA enabler... nothing worked. Voodoohda works, but then the sound seems like that of some aliens! So I removed it.

Any idea how to proceed now?

Many thanks in advance. :)

Worked like a charm, thanx !

I had to use a retail DVD of Snow Leopard tho, my previous attempts (using other SL downloads) were causing KP's on first boot every time. . .

Also, do you think it is stable enough to run as main OS, I mean is it as solid as Leopard 10.5.8? And is there anything else you can tell us about the modbin test 7 kernel like what features it may or may not have, advantages or dis-advantages we should know about?

just curious. . .

Bro

Is This really Retail Snow Leopard but why is it written (build 10A32)

Does this mean it's build but not the real retail dics on the market??

Sorry for asking this question, i'm just curious

the retail version on the market have a same build with the GM build that i use to install (10A423). i can also get an update from sofware update

any news on a new kernel now that the sources have been released for almost a month?

not yet.. i have try to build it with voodoo source, its still failed.... :)

Worked like a charm, thanx !

I had to use a retail DVD of Snow Leopard tho, my previous attempts (using other SL downloads) were causing KP's on first boot every time. . .

Also, do you think it is stable enough to run as main OS, I mean is it as solid as Leopard 10.5.8? And is there anything else you can tell us about the modbin test 7 kernel like what features it may or may not have, advantages or dis-advantages we should know about?

just curious. . .

the kernel is a legacy kernel, just a patched kernel its dont have sse3 emulator like voodoo, also its still need to patch some cpuid on AMD kernel.. still in 32 bit mode

i cant boot in 64 bit mode (maybe because AMD doesnt suppor syscall64) but you yan try to boot in 64 mode with test7 kernel using boot argument -64_bit -v

the kernel is a legacy kernel, just a patched kernel its dont have sse3 emulator like voodoo, also its still need to patch some cpuid on AMD kernel.. still in 32 bit mode

i cant boot in 64 bit mode (maybe because AMD doesnt suppor syscall64) but you yan try to boot in 64 mode with test7 kernel using boot argument -64_bit -v

Thanx for the quick reply. Unfortunately I can only install it on a SATA or anything smaller than 128 Gig IDE drive. . .However, I've got it going great on an old 40 Gig IDE I ad laying around. . .

EDIT: btw, how can I tell if I'm running 64 bit???

EDIT EDIT: ioreg -p IODeviceTree -w0 -l | grep firmware-abi type that into a terminal and if you get EFI64 you're good to go.

yes but its still have some problem with on fly cpuid patch.. and 64 bit mode too :)

Thanx for the quick reply. Unfortunately I can only install it on a SATA or anything smaller than 128 Gig IDE drive. . .However, I've got it going great on an old 40 Gig IDE I ad laying around. . .

EDIT: btw, how can I tell if I'm running 64 bit???

EDIT EDIT: ioreg -p IODeviceTree -w0 -l | grep firmware-abi type that into a terminal and if you get EFI64 you're good to go.

you can try 64 bit mode with new qoopz kernel.. with -force64

you cab fell how fast 64 bit mode but lots of App get crash.... but you can see in activity monitor that you are running 64bit app (not kernel) its said intel (64bit) not just intel (in 32bit mode)

screenshot20091006at630.jpg

PS : you get EFI64 it because u are using PC EFI from netkas

Bro

I get my Retail working but PS2 :mouse dosen't work

IMG here

I used VoodooPS2Controller, since it's package so it installed into S/L/E therefore i copied back the kext file into Extra/Extensions and keyboard work but space bar as enter bar[ no idea what happened ] and the mouse didn't moved at all.

still trying to get those working by and putting kext again and again

need help :)

post-255786-1256377962_thumb.png

hi, i installed snow leopard on 3 different ways now and everytime i get the same result: after restarting my screen is black and my keyboard turn off. so any ideas how to fix this problem? do i need any special kext for my mainboard?

amd x2 4850e

foxconn a7gm-s (amd 780g / sb700)

corsair xms2 2*2gb ddr2 800

foxconn 8800 gt (g92) 512 mb

greetz rora

hi, i installed snow leopard on 3 different ways now and everytime i get the same result: after restarting my screen is black and my keyboard turn off. so any ideas how to fix this problem? do i need any special kext for my mainboard?

amd x2 4850e

foxconn a7gm-s (amd 780g / sb700)

corsair xms2 2*2gb ddr2 800

foxconn 8800 gt (g92) 512 mb

greetz rora

are u sure u have place chipset driver, for your mobo or setiing HDD to AHCI mode, are u using Ps2 keyboard/mouse, try to use usb.. n have you set the setting for your VGA?

try to boot -v to find the problem

first thanks for your tutorial snow leopard works now! the problem is my buggy dsdt.dsl so i get probs in compiling it to get a dsdt.aml. however, i updated my bios to the newest release and now snow leopard works without step 9 of your tutorial (without dsdt.aml).

my new problem is now that efi string for my grafics doesn't work, i can use nvenabler 64 but then there is no hardware acceleration, qe/ci support. any ideas? - and i know i can use dsdt to set up my grafics but as i said: there is no dsdt.aml because i can't compile it...

greetz rora

Installation report:

Thanks for mach_kernel.test7, I could install Snow on some AMD motherboards, though I used Chameleon RC3.

Chameleon "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" works with GeForce 7600/8600/9500/9600.

Radeon 2600XT works when device-propertis is set and X2000.kext is removed.

"GraphicsEnabler=Yes" works.

Asus M4A78 Plus

Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3, AHCI

Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H, AHCI

"GraphicsEnabler=Yes" does not work and device-properties was needed.

Gigabyte GA-M720-US3, AHCI ( because PCIe is attached to PciRoot(0x0)/PCI(0x10,0x0) ? )

--- edit ---

DSDT is PciRoot(0x1)/PCI(0x10,0x0) and fixed by DSDT patch. - Thanks to Kabyl.

I installed all of them on working 10.5.x.

As I attach USB audio, I do not patch DSDT for sound.

VoodooPower (AMD patched) works . All the CPUs are K10 (Phenom, Athlon II) and arch=i386 (32 bit).

My motherboard is Asus M4A78 Plus which can work in Leopard 10.5.6 ~10.5.8.

However I can not install Snow Leopard 10.6 because I can not get its DSDT.aml properly.

Every time when I use DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e it always caused failure because errors over 200.

Can you provide me a working DSDT.aml or DSDT_fixed.txt of Asus M4A78 Plus in attached file ?