SL on a Asus P5Q?

Beukhof1

81 posts in this topic

Ya i agree, it didn't work without ACPI 2.0 disabled!

Anyone got the 4850 Working in 64bit mode? I added DEV ID to ATI4800Controller Kext, With EVOEnabler kext, but system hangs on boot up? (no kp, just stops on voodhda me thinks, which is sound, thought that was 64 bit compatible?)

Currently running 4850 using Netkas Enabler and ATIRNDRV and ATINDRV kexts from leo. (Boots default into 32bit)

Sorry, I forgot to add that ACPI 2.0 is set to Enabled, and I am still receiving the KP with it turned on, I verified this when I went through the guide, but just double checked to make sure about five minutes ago.

I ended up following Proceduralmind's guide as shown below

My version based on quaza's method.

It is very easy to install Snow Leopard retail on Asus P5QL-Pro. Everything works fine including audio, graphics, lan ...

Before you start anything. Read the posts for os x leopard 10.5 retail installation here and here. You will find infos on bios hack for Asus P5Q series mobos, and installation tips for leopard 10.5. You need a working os x leopard partition.

0. In the Bios enable acpi 2.0 without this option enabled I think You will have miserable efforts to boot into Snow Leopard. You can find this option under the power management tab > ACPI 2.0 support. I assure you if you do not enable it your newly installed will kernel panic at startup. So ENABLE IT.

Set this to Enabled

1. Do the usual partitioning, and snow leopard restoring to a partition thing using disk utility (it is discussed in many topics. The idea is to have three partitions. My config is: One guid disk with two partitions, and an additional guid disk with one partition. One partition serves for containing the restored Snow leopard disk installer).

iAtkos v7 installed on 60gb Sata laptop HDD that I had lying around, got everything up and working, except for my quad core is still only showing 1 core after patching DSDT

2. Open up a finder window of the disc or partition where the Snow Leopard installer is. Go to Finder:Go:Go to folder

copy this into the the opening field>

system/Installation/Packages

Start the installation using the OSInstall.mpkg file.

Installed on my main (150gb SATA HDD)

3. Install only the core system

Installed Core System with Quicktime 7 and Rosetta (is this a problem?)

4. After setup has finished its job, make sure not to restart your computer.

5. Install Chameleon bootloader 2. rc2 (Download link is here), be careful installing it to the newly installed snow leopard partition

Chameleon Bootloader 2 rc2 installed, however the first time I actually installed it and went to boot SL, the press f8 for selection didnt come up, and just said Loading Darwin..... and went to the apple screen

6. Downloaad the package quaza has provided, it contains all the kexts you need. I provide here the pack of quaza P5Q_SL_Final.zip (I've taken out the bootloader folder which is chameleon 2 ..., just download it from its site.)

7. Download MuCommander from versiontracker

8. Download kekthelperb7

9. In Mucommander copy the boot file quaza has provided to the root of the newly installed snow leopard partition.

When trying to move file from Leopard Partition it gives me a permission error, unless I delete the boot file from the Snow partition before and move the new boot file over. Is this a problem?

10. Likewise copy the four files from Extensions Extra 64Bits & 32Bits to extra:extensions on this new partition.

Same with these files, I have to move them over manually through finder. What about the other 3 kexts that need to go in System/Library/Extensions? should I use Osx86tool?

11. It is time to restart

12. In the bios set your primary boot disk to the one which contains this new Snow Leopard install.

This is primary

13. When your bootloader starts press F8. If you are quick you will see the command line. Enter here:

"Graphics Mode"="640x480x32"

It will effectively skip the setup assistant with an error message (saying that It can not use setup assistant at this small resolution). If you have a newer graphics card it is a must to do, becouse a neverending loop can occur with the setup assistant. I am not sure but it was the case with leopard.

If I enter this, and -v -f -x32.etc I still get a kernel panic also

14. Snow leopard will boot into its gui, now in small resolution. Do not panic. This method gives you the super duper user access, not setting up a usual user with setup assistant. Just restart.

15. This second time boot, the setup assistant won't show up, Snow leopard boots into the gui. Probably 1024x768. In system preferences : user account create a password for yourself. Fire up kexthelper7b. Drag and drop the 3 kexts from quaza Extensions System 64Bits & 32Bits to the window, enter your password and push easy install.

16. Fire up efistudio from quaza's pack, choose your efi string for your videocard. Mine is 9800 gt 512 mb it needs 8800 gt 512 mb efi string to work. I suggest you to search this theme before choosing your efistring, unfortunately apple does not provide all the drivers, but there are identical chips under different names. Push write to boot.apple....

17. Restart

18. Et voala > You have a fully working Snow Leopard 64 bit system.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Alternatively you can use osx86tools to install the 3 kexts. In this case after Snow Leopard installer had finished its job, do not restart yet, follow the steps to point 10. After that, open up osx86tools choose install kexts, choose the 3 kexts from quaza Extensions System 64Bits & 32Bits, choose the target snow leopard partition. Now you can reboot, in bios choose your snow leopard drive, and start normally without any options entered at bootloader startup. Setup Assistant opens, use it, in my case (I've tried this method too) video was default 1024x678, sound was ok. When snow leopard gui is loaded use efistudio for your videocard as detailed above in step 16. And hopefully all would be ok.

I also want to mention that I am running a P5Q Turbo, Intel Q6600, 4GB RAM, VisionTek ATI 4870 512mb, 150gb Sata HDD, Lite-On ATA DVD-RW if any of these would be causing problems

Sorry, I forgot to add that ACPI 2.0 is set to Enabled, and I am still receiving the KP with it turned on, I verified this when I went through the guide, but just double checked to make sure about five minutes ago.

I ended up following Proceduralmind's guide as shown below

I also want to mention that I am running a P5Q Turbo, Intel Q6600, 4GB RAM, VisionTek ATI 4870 512mb, 150gb Sata HDD, Lite-On ATA DVD-RW if any of these would be causing problems

Maybe ata devices can cause problems, I've changed my ata dwd writer to a sata version, and disbled the marvell controller from bios. Try disabling onboard audio, and other devices.

Maybe ata devices can cause problems, I've changed my ata dwd writer to a sata version, and disbled the marvell controller from bios. Try disabling onboard audio, and other devices.

Ok, also, with the P5Q Turbo, I have heard mixed stories, I hear that I can boot with 4 cores without using a modified BIOS, but for some reason, even with patching the DSDT I cannot get my 4 cores running, unless I am patching it wrong, can anyone give me a little more information in regards to this? or maybe lead me to a way to modify my own p5q turbo bios, I have searched for hours on the forums, but they do not have anything for the P5Q Turbo series

Ok, also, with the P5Q Turbo, I have heard mixed stories, I hear that I can boot with 4 cores without using a modified BIOS, but for some reason, even with patching the DSDT I cannot get my 4 cores running, unless I am patching it wrong, can anyone give me a little more information in regards to this? or maybe lead me to a way to modify my own p5q turbo bios, I have searched for hours on the forums, but they do not have anything for the P5Q Turbo series

As far as I can see there is no mac os x compatible bios for p5q turbo. There is a good general in depth tutorial on dsdt related things, and pacthing here.

Man, this is getting really annoying, and I am 100% stumped, I have enabled ACPI, even went out and bought a SATA DVD drive,

I am now getting a Kernel Panic that says

Trying to change a collection in the registry

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily(1.3.0)@0x54ebffff

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.6)@0x54e31000

and it repeats twice

Man, this is getting really annoying, and I am 100% stumped, I have enabled ACPI, even went out and bought a SATA DVD drive,

I am now getting a Kernel Panic that says

Trying to change a collection in the registry

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily(1.3.0)@0x54ebffff

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.6)@0x54e31000

and it repeats twice

Bios patch is not available for P5Q Turbo. A good new general tutorial perhaps can help you.

I'm Italian sorry for bad English

can I have the guide setup nvidia 9800GT because in Leopard 10.5.8 sees it as generic nvidia and have problems viewing characters blurred

Contatto io. Posso aiutarlo in MP :P

Contact me. I can help you in MP, We will install your card with GFX String :)

Hi to all, I've got a P5Q, E5200, 2x2Gb Kingston, 9800GT, Segate 160Gb and LG DVD-RW both SATA.

I follow your instruction without problem until first reboot, the I got a kernel panic with cpu0 errror :D

I can't take a shot of the monitor, but it is the same of 3ng1and.

Suggestion??

P.S.

My bios is modded ;) so with DSDT, I disable IDE controller and all my sata are in ahci mode, acpi 2.0 is enable

With RC3 of chameleon the file boot don't need.

quaza can you help me about Nvidia 9800GT 512mb ddr2? I don't work QE and CI.

When I install snow leopard give me an erron and tell me to reboot, after reboot all work. Is normal this error during installation?

The kext attansicL1 is for network?

Before install vodoohda is required to remove appleHDA?

In about system my cpu is not know, there are other with this stuff?

Sorry for my doubts :)

Thanks.

UPDATE!!! - ALC1200 onboard audio working with recompiled VoodooHDA.kext for SL 32/64!!

;)

I've tried following a guide at a different website, and it includes instructions on how to install Chameleon v2 RC1 r431 and another pkg called Chameleon v2 Snow Leopard Support. The problem is, after installing the SL support package for Chameleon v2, and even if the install doesn't error out, the kernel panics. Not sure why, but I'm pretty sure that the Chameleon team is aware of it. So, I'm presently stuck with using Chameleon v1.0.12 with EFI 10.

Anyways, like everyone else was saying in this post about getting ALC1200 to work under SL, just look for the recompiled VoodooHDA.kext for SL 32/64. It's pretty easy to find if you use Google! Though, the one thing I did notice was that Line Out is listed like four times under Output and Play Sound Effects through (e.g., Line Out / Line Out / Line Out / Line Out).

As shown in Output:

Line Out / Line Out / Line Out / Line Out

Headphones

SPDIF Out

SPDIF Out

One of the SPDIF Out is probably the COAX port on the rear panel and the optional header for either an optical port or coax port. I haven't tested front panel headphone jack, rear panel/front panel microphone, and either SPDIF ports.

Oh yeah, just as an FYI.. I am only running the 32-bit kernel, and not the 64-bit kernel. Everything is working fine... I'll try out the 64-bit kernel with arch=x86_64 added to com.apple.Boot.plist once I know that this install method is stable; which by all accounts seems to be the case!

If any of you want to see a PDF, reply to this post!

Peace,

IanT

Hey everyone,

I actually have to update my comment about SL kernel panic with Chameleon 2.0 RC1/2. It appears as though it's due to Leopard kexts, specifically ATAPortInjector.kext. I'm not sure if AHCIPortInjector.kext or other's cause a kp (kernel panic), but I'll update this post again, hopefully soon. I will also attach a zip file that contains known working kexts needed to boot SL on an ASUS P5Q (MARS support package), and a list of Leopard kexts that can cause a kp with Chameleon 2.0 RC1/2.

Chameleon Team: My apologies for saying it was something due to RC1/2. Thank you for releasing RC3!!!!!!!

I've been writing a guide on how to install SL onto the ASUS P5Q and it's currently at 22 pages long. It hasn't even delved into the actual configuration of SL post-install, but it's pretty thorough, going as far as configuring BIOS options, both manually (detailed info) and through a .CMO (overclocking file, provided by yours truly, IanT).

The guide will be accompanied by a MARS support package, which will include kexts that I am using on my ASUS P5Q.

I do apologize about the length of time it's taken me to write this PDF guide out, but at least you'll now it's thorough! Chances are there will also be a guide for the ASUS P5Q-E... I've got both systems.... ;)

There will also be a video at some point for those who like to see the installation and configuration in action.

So anyone that wants to holla back and maybe even help me out with some ideas, is most welcome!

Peace,

IanT

Hey everyone,

I actually have to update my comment about SL kernel panic with Chameleon 2.0 RC1/2. It appears as though it's due to Leopard kexts, specifically ATAPortInjector.kext. I'm not sure if AHCIPortInjector.kext or other's cause a kp (kernel panic), but I'll update this post again, hopefully soon. I will also attach a zip file that contains known working kexts needed to boot SL on an ASUS P5Q (MARS support package), and a list of Leopard kexts that can cause a kp with Chameleon 2.0 RC1/2.

Chameleon Team: My apologies for saying it was something due to RC1/2. Thank you for releasing RC3!!!!!!!

I've been writing a guide on how to install SL onto the ASUS P5Q and it's currently at 22 pages long. It hasn't even delved into the actual configuration of SL post-install, but it's pretty thorough, going as far as configuring BIOS options, both manually (detailed info) and through a .CMO (overclocking file, provided by yours truly, IanT).

The guide will be accompanied by a MARS support package, which will include kexts that I am using on my ASUS P5Q.

I do apologize about the length of time it's taken me to write this PDF guide out, but at least you'll now it's thorough! Chances are there will also be a guide for the ASUS P5Q-E... I've got both systems.... :)

There will also be a video at some point for those who like to see the installation and configuration in action.

So anyone that wants to holla back and maybe even help me out with some ideas, is most welcome!

Peace,

IanT

Hey everyone,

This is just an update to the guide I'm creating for the ASUS P5Q.

I've been reading some reports of permission issues and kp's due to the OSInstall.mpkg installation method. So, I've been debating whether or not to release the guide.

I'll be writing a secondary method of using a boot-132 method based on the new binaries released by the chameleon team rc3.

I will still release a support package for this secondary guide.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, send me a message or reply to this post.

Peace,

Isn'T

I want to install SL on a P5Q-E using a retail version of SL and the bootable chameleon  CD.

So, P5Q-E BIOS ver.2001 patched, ACPI 2 Enabled, AHCI, all drives are SATA / video: hd4870 512mb

Firstly I boot with the CD it gives some ebios errors then boots and show the chameleon startup options

then I remove the CD put the retail DVD disc in the drive press F5 and boot with -v (i also tried with -v -f and -v -x)

after it starts loading the install DVD it stops here

dsc03193538.jpg

any ideas ?

I use 1TB SATA II WD Caviar Black and Asus P5Q SE with patched bios. Hdds are connected by SATA cable and bios settings are "configure SATA as AHCI"

But when booting bios says "Auto Detecting Sata1 ... IDE Hard Disk"

Why it says IDE hard disk? I formatted GUID with 1 partition. But Chameleon EFI cannot installed due to HDD.

Note: I got that error when booting SL

"AppleSMBusPCI :: start failed to get acpi path for provider"

post-113669-1253401931_thumb.jpg

post-113669-1253401941_thumb.jpg

post-113669-1253401956_thumb.jpg

I use 1TB SATA II WD Caviar Black and Asus P5Q SE with patched bios. Hdds are connected by SATA cable and bios settings are "configure SATA as AHCI"

But when booting bios says "Auto Detecting Sata1 ... IDE Hard Disk"

Why it says IDE hard disk? I formatted GUID with 1 partition. But Chameleon EFI cannot installed due to HDD.

Note: I got that error when booting SL

"AppleSMBusPCI :: start failed to get acpi path for provider"

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you must select "ACPI 2.0" "enable" and "suspend S3" "enable"

Give it a try :blink:

Try this boot cd http://uppit.com/v/P1PS0CLV (from topic 10.6 Generic Retail Install Guide, [Compilation] Boot-132 Disc + Hidden EFI Partition + USB Bootloader). It work.

My config:

e8400

asus p5q pro

hd 4870 1gb toxic

Good luck.

thanks man that did the trick, glad to have it working. - somewhat :)

I managed to install the chameleon rc3 package and now boots without the cd.

the only problems that I have right now are

- num lock led is off (this was the case also with leo)

- sound i have the ADI AD2000B - still trying to find out how to get this one working

- my ati hd4870 is seen as 4890 in sys profiler but it works out of the box, and the processor was seen as 3.8 GHz instead of 2,83 but that's fixed now (I don't know how i did it exactly :) )

- ntfs 3g - i can't write anymore on ntfs partitions although this is more software then the MB itself