Dell XPS 1340 under OSX 10.6, including boot-132 install cd

bcc9

1,149 posts in this topic

is there a new patch-hda and acpiplatform patch for 10.6.8? Tried acpiplatform 1.5.pkg and patch-hda-v4 with no luck

I've just posted a new AppleACPIPlatform.mcp79 package for 10.6.8 (in post #1). Checking applehda in a bit...

Checking applehda in a bit...

Ok, I've updated the patch-hda script in post #1 to work with 10.6.8 as well. It's now the more general version that should work for the rest of the 10.6 lifetime without further tweaking (crosses fingers).

10.6.8 AppleHDA brings the new XML parsing from 10.7. So in addition to the above script, you need to follow my 10.7 instructions steps 2&3. http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...amp;#entry14993. Note that you'll still want to use patch-hda.pl from post #1, as the 10.7 version is different (newer compiler optimizations).

Should I make a package installer for this, or are you guys happy with the scripts and/or multiple steps?

Ok, I've updated the patch-hda script in post #1 to work with 10.6.8 as well. It's now the more general version that should work for the rest of the 10.6 lifetime without further tweaking (crosses fingers).

10.6.8 AppleHDA brings the new XML parsing from 10.7. So in addition to the above script, you need to follow my 10.7 instructions steps 2&3. http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...amp;#entry14993. Note that you'll still want to use patch-hda.pl from post #1, as the 10.7 version is different (newer compiler optimizations).

Should I make a package installer for this, or are you guys happy with the scripts and/or multiple steps?

when booting in verbose mode, it says can't get kextd port and followed by "pci configuration begins" error, no verbose message displayed after that in verbose mode. Any idea? No verbose message on Dellbluetooth, 802.11n wireless, ethenet, etc. The system can go to gui but wireless doesn't work. lags from time to time. Tried fixed permission with no luck. Alreday tried ACPI patcher 1.6 and AppleHDA fix.

when booting in verbose mode, it says can't get kextd port and followed by "pci configuration begins" error, no verbose message displayed after that in verbose mode. Any idea? No verbose message on Dellbluetooth, 802.11n wireless, ethenet, etc. The system can go to gui but wireless doesn't work. lags from time to time. Tried fixed permission with no luck. Alreday tried ACPI patcher 1.6 and AppleHDA fix.

I'm not seeing any of the problems you're reporting. Other than, yes, there is a change of behavior with respect to verbose logging. Why are you referring to the pci configuration begin diagnostic message as an error?

I'm not seeing any of the problems you're reporting. Other than, yes, there is a change of behavior with respect to verbose logging. Why are you referring to the pci configuration begin diagnostic message as an error?

What I meant is remember prior to 10.6.8, when booted in verbose, we see the screen scrolling with infos such as AppleHDA, Wireless, Ethernet before seeing the login screen in snow leopard. Now all I see is IOAPIC, and PCI configuration begins and after a while, it goes straight to snow leopard GUI. For your reference, i boot with arch=x86 and use Dell Wireless 1510 a/b/g/n card, and battery status still doesn't show after patching AppleACPIPlatform with your automatic patcher. Since I can't see any verbose information when booting, don't know what kext is not loading. :(

btw, your patch-hda script works and I can get sound working using the step 2&3 from your lion hdaidt patch

Why are you referring to the pci configuration begin diagnostic message as an error?

I think because it's abnormal to not see the verbose log :) Sometimes you change something in system and kernel panic for any kext after pci configuration begin can be unknown and that refers to many possible problems for detecting :)

Speedy response with the updates. I was having problems with sound on my 10.6.8 installation. Got 2 side-by-side with windows 7 now. One at 10.6.7 and another purely for testing of patches/upgrades etc..

I can't in general recommend tonymac re-packs at all actually. Their re-packs leave you not knowing what was changed or why, or where to go for details on those changes. Not to mention the lack of proper attribution over there...

If you want to discuss tonymac distributions please take it elsewhere

Fair point. I've only been a Mac user for nearly a week now (so still learning) so I don't know where the recommended places are and the blaggers to avoid... I was simply sharing info on what helped me solve my problem which was the laptop freezing at [PCI Configuration Begin] and then going no-where from there.

Should I make a package installer for this

If you don't mind mate, that'd be wicked!

P.S. Your DSDT.aml for A14 BIOS works fine on the A15 BIOS also.

Is there a way I can run the patch-hda.pl & the AppleACPIPlatform.mcp79.v1.6.pkg to install to a different OSX partition??

I'm trying to install the changes to a different partition that won't currently boot (ACPI Issues). As I understand it, I have to change the directory and run them from Terminal??

Apple gave us new sources of 10.6.8, I'm going to check out IOPCIFamily.

switching to chameleon rc5 build(06/25/2011) and hope it solves the issues I have with 10.6.8. If not, I will just move on to lion dp4. Now have 10.6.7 up and running and going to try out lion. Is there a post with patches made for this laptop on lion?

I found a fix of die of console at the start of system for new IOPCIFamily (10.6.8 and 10.7 tested).

Use this IOPCIFamily kext for fixing the problem if you don't see any console messages after PCI Configuration Begin.

There no global changes, it will work stable without any bugs.

If chameleon or other developers will able to fix it without rebuilding original kexts, it'll be good, but as I looked, there very difficult problem and will be refered to hardware each time.

This fix will work for any PC and laptop with this problem.

Best wishes,

Oleg

IOPCIFamily.kext.zip

I found a fix of die of console at the start of system for new IOPCIFamily (10.6.8 and 10.7 tested).

The source code diffs for this potential change are where? Also a description of what the change is?

Personally I would advise against using 10.6 kexts under 10.7. You never know what you might be breaking.

What I meant is remember prior to 10.6.8, when booted in verbose, we see the screen scrolling with infos such as AppleHDA, Wireless, Ethernet before seeing the login screen in snow leopard. Now all I see is IOAPIC, and PCI configuration begins and after a while, it goes straight to snow leopard GUI. For your reference, i boot with arch=x86 and use Dell Wireless 1510 a/b/g/n card, and battery status still doesn't show after patching AppleACPIPlatform with your automatic patcher. Since I can't see any verbose information when booting, don't know what kext is not loading. :(

btw, your patch-hda script works and I can get sound working using the step 2&3 from your lion hdaidt patch

Battery status works for me; I tested my AppleACPIPlatform under 32 bit mode before posting, as per usual.

You can of course debug without everything printing to the console. dmesg, logging to /var/log/kernel.log, kextstat all work as per usual.

Lacking any debugging, there's really no help to give...

switching to chameleon rc5 build(06/25/2011) and hope it solves the issues I have with 10.6.8. If not, I will just move on to lion dp4. Now have 10.6.7 up and running and going to try out lion. Is there a post with patches made for this laptop on lion?

Since voodoobattery is busted under 10.7, I don't think you'll want to switch from 10.6 to address your battery status issue.

This one IOPCIFamily is better. I just removed reallocating of console - it works perfect without it.
Interesting. Seems like a DSDT fix like the one king used should be feasible here, and if so, would be a cleaner fix.

Interesting. Seems like a DSDT fix like the one king used should be feasible here, and if so, would be a cleaner fix.

Ok, I was able to fix the console logging problem after "PCI Configuration Begin" is displayed simply by adding:

npci=0x2000 to the kernel boot flags. Ie in com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v arch=i386 npci=0x2000</string>

no kext or DSDT hacking required.

@bcc9

Your knowledge helps people, including me, around here a lot. I added npci=0x2000 and it worked after update 945GCM-S2L + GT240 to 10.6.8.

and @olegronin

Thanks for IOPCIFamily.kext

P.S. Sorry for off the topic.

Ok, I was able to fix the console logging problem after "PCI Configuration Begin" is displayed simply by adding: npci=0x2000 to the kernel boot flags. Ie in com.apple.Boot.plist:

How do you get to that? I'm presuming you monitor the console and logs from a second os install??! Or is it just tricks you pick up from experience.

@bcc9

Your knowledge helps people including me around here a lot.

@olegronin

Thanks for IOPCIFamily.kext

I'll second this. Nice one lads...

Ok, I was able to fix the console logging problem after "PCI Configuration Begin" is displayed simply by adding:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

Genious! Thank you a lot!

How do you get to that? I'm presuming you monitor the console and logs from a second os install??! Or is it just tricks you pick up from experience.

I read the source code to the new IOPCIFamily, focusing on the console relocation section since that was where Olegpronin said he was able to patch it to work.

Two systems are handy for gdbing kexts, but in this case I didn't have to go that far. With pci=0x1, you can see some extra logging, such as the correct console address. Then it was clear that it was simply the fConsoleRange value that was leading things astray. Luckily all the questionable logic that is setting fConsoleRange is predicated on kIOPCIConfiguratorPFM64, and that flag seems to be used for nothing else.

Device (PCI) has _ADR change to _UID or add _UID under it.

that seems to help booting 10.6.8 on many pc's

I tried that, and also king's suggestion about removing _BBN methods. But it didn't have any affect for me. I don't even see why these would work. Does it work for you?

I read the source code to the new IOPCIFamily, focusing on the console relocation section since that was where Olegpronin said he was able to patch it to work.

Two systems are handy for gdbing kexts, but in this case I didn't have to go that far. With pci=0x1, you can see some extra logging, such as the correct console address. Then it was clear that it was simply the fConsoleRange value that was leading things astray. Luckily all the questionable logic that is setting fConsoleRange is predicated on kIOPCIConfiguratorPFM64, and that flag seems to be used for nothing else.

Hi bcc9,

Thank you for the fix. However, just to let you know that it affects the graphic card i.e system wide lag, no right click, dock animation acts weirds.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

This flag doesn't work on my pc.