Dell XPS 1340 under OSX 10.6, including boot-132 install cd

bcc9

1,149 posts in this topic

I don't know why you'd be having any problems with the boot-132 solution.

Perhaps your dvd drive is unable to load the the retail osx disk. I know that now that my dvd drive is old it fails to load disks about half the time.

Does the standard installer popup when you insert the disk on a running OSX install on the laptop:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1474307

You could also copy the retail DVD to a partition and install with boot132 that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am newbie to hackinthosh. I have a Dell Studio XPS 1340 and I want to install Hackintosh. My problem is that actually I've in this system Windows 7 and Funtoo Linux (a fork of Gentoo Linux), so my HDD is already partitioned. I have no problem reinstalling Windows, but I would like to conserve my Linux installation.

There is any light about this?

Thank you in advance for your work!

Isern

Hello,

I am newbie to hackinthosh. I have a Dell Studio XPS 1340 and I want to install Hackintosh. My problem is that actually I've in this system Windows 7 and Funtoo Linux (a fork of Gentoo Linux), so my HDD is already partitioned. I have no problem reinstalling Windows, but I would like to conserve my Linux installation.

There is any light about this?

Thank you in advance for your work!

Isern

gparted live can move&resize your partitions.

• 3 weeks later...

After two days of work I have finally succeed and got my 1340 with snow leopard 10.6.5!!! Thanks bcc9!!! Just a tiny question o.o... Is there a way to make an image of my installation so I can just restore it?

gparted live can move&resize your partitions.

bcc9 can you give me directions on how to boot into 64 bit kernel?

can you post 64 bit kext?

i can only boot with arch=i386 i have everything working i have updated to 10.6.6

if i boot with arch=x86_64 laptop does not boot any advice?

Sure, Carbon Copy Cloner, though, you will need another ocmputer to restore the image in the hardrive, then install chameleon and you are set..

Thanks!! I did it, then screw it xD and then I got it back :). It really saved me a lot of time n.n.

I live in Mexico, and my XPS 1340 has a keyboard layout named Español Latino in Windows, which Snow Leopard doesn't seem to have it. So I created one with ukelele, maybe someone will find it useful (maybe not...). :wacko:

To use it:

Unzip the file

Copy the file to /Library/Keyboard Layouts/

Logout

Select it in System Preferences->Input Sources

And you are good to go!

Note: You need to have another one enabled (non unicode) and mark "Show Input Menu" in the same window so you can change it.

Spanish__Lat.zip

i can only boot with arch=i386 i have everything working i have updated to 10.6.6

How did you get audio working in 10.6.6?

Crappers, updated to 10.6.6 and it looks like we'll need a new audio fix.

Praises to bcc9 and his quick work. I'm sure it will get updated soon!

For some reason my battery icon went away too. I still have sleep so I'd assume the ACPI still works. I tried manually reinstalling the voodoobattery kext, and even using kext helper b7 and it still didn't seem to take. :)

So in short no audio and no battery icon after 10.6.6

You can use previous patch. No new ACPI kext in 10.6.6.

same for audio.

I actually didn't install combo update.

hmm, I still can't get the battery to work. And bcc9's audio patch didn't work because it says it won't run on 10.6.6

In the mean time I installed voodoohda and it gave me audio. Sure I'd prefer the real thing, but I can wait.

I've updated the patch-hda script in post #1 and also the AppleACPIPlatform package to work with 10.6.6. The patch addresses did not change this time around, so the changes were trivial. However you still need to re-run these scripts as per normal when upgrading from an older version of 10.6 (regardless of whether you do so via a combo update or via the software update window).

The only time you wouldn't need to re-run these scripts is if the update from apple happened to not update the relevant kexts at all.

Update: looks like the 10.6.6 update may or may not update these packages, depending upon how you upgrade. If you upgrade with the combo update, you need to re-run the patch scripts. More generally, you should re-run the patches for those two scripts if the functionality is broken by your update.

To boot 64 bit, you remove the arch=i386 entry from your com.apple.Boot.plist, or alternatively, you add an arch=x86_64 at run time as a boot command line option.

I don't know what kext you're asking about, your question doesn't make any sense as basically all kexts are dual architecture at this point.

I just updated to 10.6.6, but my audio and my battery icon still works. Bcc9 do I still need to run the patches?

Not sure how that'd happen. For audio, if you were using voodoohda, it would continue to work. For the battery icon, it'd appear but would just have an X in the icon if you're using an unpatched AppleACPIPlatform.

Not sure how that'd happen. For audio, if you were using voodoohda, it would continue to work. For the battery icon, it'd appear but would just have an X in the icon if you're using an unpatched AppleACPIPlatform.

Yeah, I didn't expected it. But I'm using the kext and the patch you provided (for audio), and also a patched AppleACPIPlataform. I did update trough Apple Software Update o.o.

Yeah, I didn't expected it. But I'm using the kext and the patch you provided (for audio), and also a patched AppleACPIPlataform. I did update trough Apple Software Update o.o.

Ok, it looks like only the combo update package updates those two kexts with newer builds (that are identical other than the signatures). Surprising. So my instructions were a bit off, and should just say that you should re-run the patches for those two scripts if the functionality is broken by your update.

hi all and thank you for your help guys i did install osx 10.6.6 and every thing is working fine except for the combo e-sata + usb not working and 3G WWAN modem any chance to help me out guys .

P.S: the WWAN card is sony Ericsson F3507g its already configured but cant power it on ( no light in palm rest ) .

• 2 weeks later...
hi all and thank you for your help guys i did install osx 10.6.6 and every thing is working fine except for the combo e-sata + usb not working and 3G WWAN modem any chance to help me out guys .
What doesn't work? My esata continues to work after 10.6.6 upgrade.

P.S: the WWAN card is sony Ericsson F3507g its already configured but cant power it on ( no light in palm rest ) .
I have no idea about that card, probably there isn't an OSX driver for it - have you searched?

Searching on Dell Wireless 5530 reveals some OSX attempts

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me if the DSDT tables have P-State and C-State info in them? I'm trying to figure out if I should be using Chameleon RC5's boot flags--I'm hanging if I tell it to generate the states.

EDIT: It appears we still need OpenHaltRestart, too? But doesn't that obviate standard Intel speedstepping?

Can anyone tell me if the DSDT tables have P-State and C-State info in them? I'm trying to figure out if I should be using Chameleon RC5's boot flags--I'm hanging if I tell it to generate the states.

EDIT: It appears we still need OpenHaltRestart, too?

The p-state and c-state information are in dynamic SSDT tables, not the DSDT. See SSDT10&SSDT11 for this laptop.

OpenHaltRestart is required as the chameleon restart fix seems to not work with nvidia chipsets.

If you figure out better p-state/c-state settings than what we're getting automatically let us know.

But doesn't that obviate standard Intel speedstepping?
You lost me; what do these two have to do with each other? Seems like you're thinking of nullcpupowermanagement not openhaltrestart. nullcpupowermanagement isn't required on this system.

Hi, my Dell 1340 have a cd-rom not functionally... How do I do? It's possible create a pen drive bootable?

Very thanks!

If your drive is the TS-T633A model, you need to downgrade the firmware to DW10, per post #1. Otherwise, well who knows, you didn't provide any details. Sure, yes, generally speaking one can update the firmware for an optical drive using a usb thumb drive. If you need help with that please post in some other thread.

The p-state and c-state information are in dynamic SSDT tables, not the DSDT. See SSDT10&SSDT11 for this laptop.

Where can I find these SSDT tables? The first post doesn't seem to have them, or I'm blind. From what I've read, SSDT tables are normally patched into DSDT--or they can be in smbios.plist. But they don't appear to be in either. Am I missing something?

If you figure out better p-state/c-state settings than what we're getting automatically let us know.

As of now, I don't think I've got working P-state and C-state settings at all. (Well, I've got p-state, since nominally I can sleep.) Dell is taking the computer back to fix a bunch of miscellaneous issues, but when I get it back I'll see if I can't get better power management.

You lost me; what do these two have to do with each other? Seems like you're thinking of nullcpupowermanagement not openhaltrestart. nullcpupowermanagement isn't required on this system.

I must have been mistaken--I always assumed that vanilla power management also included CPU halts/restarts. It appears I was wrong, although it strikes me that we should be able to fix this via DSDT, somehow. (Didn't the M1530 guys manage to fix it via DSDT?)

Anyhow, thanks for your reply, bcc. ;)

Where can I find these SSDT tables? The first post doesn't seem to have them, or I'm blind. From what I've read, SSDT tables are normally patched into DSDT--or they can be in smbios.plist. But they don't appear to be in either. Am I missing something?
Boot linux and you can find them in /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/dynamic. See also http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=359 if you want a tutorial. No need to include SSDTs in post #1 as I did not change them. Yes you can tell chameleon to ignore the SSDTs and merge them into the DSDT and edit them. I tried that actually but didn't come up with something that worked better than the default p/c-states.

I must have been mistaken--I always assumed that vanilla power management also included CPU halts/restarts. It appears I was wrong, although it strikes me that we should be able to fix this via DSDT, somehow. (Didn't the M1530 guys manage to fix it via DSDT?)

Anyhow, thanks for your reply, bcc. ;)

Yes, theoretically if the dsdt is perfect osx will be able to correctly halt and restart without extra assistance. Perhaps you could figure out what 1530 fix you're thinking of and try it if it's even applicable.