No need for dsmos or AppleDecrypt!

40 posts in this topic

Nekas has released a new kext called FakeSMC.kext. This extension (as the name says) emulates SMC, removing the need for a decrypter kext, as the information required for Don't Steal Mac OS X.kext to decrypt necessary files is provided through SMC emulation.

From netkas.org:

FakeSMC – opensource smc emulator.

August 20th 2009 Posted to Snow Leopard

FakeSMC.kext is opensource smc emulator for macosx.

It emulates SMC device, smc shows no errors at start (unlike with other emus).

It’s opensource, so you can add another keys to smc keys list, in order to help to improve osx86.

Here is version compiled for SnowLeopard 32/64 , can be installed to Extra or /S/L/E fakesmc.kext.zip http://rapidshare.de/files/48177699/fakesmc.kext.zip.html

a version for leopard http://rapidshare.de/files/48177969/fakesmc.kext.zip.html

And here is sources http://rapidshare.de/files/48177696/fakesmc.zip.html

p.s. uninstall dsmos.kext before using it

p.p.s. a links was updated (once) to correct smc-version detection, now it shows up in system profiler, in hardware overview

Nekas has released a new kext called FakeSMC.kext. This extension (as the name says) emulates SMC, removing the need for a decrypter kext, as the information required for Don't Steal Mac OS X.kext to decrypt necessary files is provided through SMC emulation.

From netkas.org:

Hi,

Please help me with my doubts.

Isn't SMC responsible for power management functions on a Mac.

I mean the SMC(System Management Controller) chip is used on real mac for supporting power management features(power flow,fan speeds etc).

So does it also mean that apart from freedom from dsmos and decrypt kexts,there should be some improvement in power management fetaures for hacks ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Please help me with my doubts.

Isn't SMC responsible for power management functions on a Mac.

I mean the SMC(System Management Controller) chip is used on real mac for supporting power management features(power flow,fan speeds etc).

So does it also mean that apart from freedom from dsmos and decrypt kexts,there should be some improvement in power management fetaures for hacks ?

Thanks in advance.

YES !

Still need AppleDecryt.kext

Netkas just said delete dsmos.kext...

Anyways, works fine... Now waiting for improvements... (POwermanagement ?)

AppleDecrypt.kext is not needed anymore until NetKas released the new dsmos ... BUT now he has relesed FakeSMC.kext and you never need decrypter or dsmos !

go play with leopard !

Thanks for the response.

And since there would be no need for dsmos.kext and hence no more decryption routines,would it also imply a slight improvement in performance(even though theoretical) ?

SL will be more performantive up to 15% (geekbench x64) ... x32 will be about 5% ... boot with new SMC Kext will speed up to 5 secs ...

SL will be more performantive up to 15% (geekbench x64) ... x32 will be about 5% ... boot with new SMC Kext will speed up to 5 secs ...

Thats cool.

One last question,

I read that using this kext can help people get rid of the error:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

But if my understanding is correct this meSsgae is displayed because ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin looks for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext during startup and dispalys the message only if it is not able to find one.

If one has AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext in /S/L/E then the warning is not dispalyed.

So then how does having FakeSMC or not effect the warning ?

Thats cool.

One last question,

I read that using this kext can help people get rid of the error:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

But if my understanding is correct this meSsgae is displayed because ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin looks for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext during startup and dispalys the message only if it is not able to find one.

If one has AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext in /S/L/E then the warning is not dispalyed.

So then how does having FakeSMC or not effect the warning ?

I don't know ... I deleted AppleIntelCPUPowerManegemt.kext ... I copied NullPowerManegemt.kext to /Extra on start disk/usb-stick ;) as well as FakeSMC.kext ... and as you are from India, you have to accept this ! Sorry ... I will not explain ... just relax !

I tried to use this kext but ran into a problem. I am using the Voodoo2 alpha3 kernel which blacklists the "don't steel mac" kext. I have checked the doc for the kernel and don't see a way to turn off this feature. Does anyone know of a kernel flag that will bypass this blacklist feature?

Works well here on vanilla 10.5.8 with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext running. No disabler.

I still depend on OpenHaltRestart or VoodooPower.kext to get shutdown working.

In addition to what has been posted here already, when booting it now shows "Previous Shutdown Cause: 3", never seen that before.

If you're a n00b:

Make sure you download the "Leopard" version if you are on 10.5.x

AppleDecrypt and DSMOS.kext both do the same thing. So if you're using either one, delete it before installing fakesmc.kext.

Don't forget to delete extensions.mkext before rebooting.

If you're using the voodoo kernel you must boot with blacklist=0 and make sure to delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext or use a disabler.kext.

Is the Kext bound to 10.5.8 Kernel or will it work with newer Kernels? Important to know if updating/booting the Leopard DVD.

works with 10.5.6 and 10.5.7 on my machine, i removed the decrypter. i'm still on 10.5.7 because of sleep issues with 10.5.8 kernel (and my hac can load cpupm fine and i don't use a disabler)