Snow Leopard 10A432 reported to be Golden Master

Burpethead

51 posts in this topic

I forgot my freaking password to the demon! Damn it!!! and the e-mail account I used to register on there years ago isn't mine anymore..

Well I'm pulling it from the bay.. but by the time its downloaded, it'll be out in stores.

Release Notes:

Mac OS X version 10.6 Snow Leopard build 10A432 Developer Seed Note

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard is the next major release of Mac OS X.

This Snow Leopard Developer Preview Update includes general operating system fixes for stability, compatibility, and security.

As this is a pre-release build, it is not advisable to use this software on a production system with information on it that you depend on for your business.

Please be aware that you will not be able to revert back to your previous system after updating. Please install this update on a system you are prepared to erase if necessary.

Installation Instructions

IMPORTANT: Always back-up your system before installing pre-release software seeds.

A. Install Snow Leopard using hard disk partitions:

Requirements:

Three hard disk partitions internal or external (you could use 2 but 3 recommended)

Hard disk partitions setup:

Partition 1 - download Snow Leopard disk image here

Partition 2 - restore disk image onto this partition

Partition 3 - partition to install Snow Leopard on 

(Partition 3 is optional, you can install onto Partition 1 if you only have 2 partitions)

Procedure:

1. Boot off partition 1, using Disk Utility, restore the Snow Leopard DVD Disk Image onto partition 2

2. Boot off partition 2 and install Snow Leopard onto partition 3

OR if you only have 2 partitions:

2. Boot off partition 2 and install Snow Leopard onto partition 1

Note: Use System Preferences : Startup Disk to pick startup volume

OR

B. Burn bootable DVD for installation:

Requirements:

1. A DVD drive capable of burning double-layer DVDs

Here's how to check to see if you have such a drive:

- Launch "Systems Profiler" 

- Under Hardware, click on "Disc Burning"

- Under "DVD-Write", if "+R DL" is listed then your machine has the ability to burn double layer DVD discs.

2. A blank DVD+R DL media

Procedure:

1. Launch Disk Utility

2. Click the Burn button in the Toolbar 

3. Navigate to and select the downloaded DVD disk image then click the Open button

4. Insert a blank DVD+R DL disc into your DVD burner

5. Click the Burn button

After burning, install Snow Leopard from the burned DVD.

Developer Notes

64-bit

We strongly encourage you to start developing and testing 64-bit versions of your KEXTs.  To help you along we've included the 64-bit transition guide with the seed.

• Launch Xcode in Snow Leopard

• Go to Help menu

• Select Documentation Viewer

• Search for "64-bit Transition Guide"

Or use the following link to access the guide in the Apple Developer Connection documentation library:

http://developer.apple.com/snowleopard/lib...ntro/intro.html

The 64-bit kernel can be tested on the following configurations:

Machine

Model name

K64 status

Early 2008 Mac Pro

MacPro3,1

Capable

Early 2008 Xserve

Xserve2,1

MacBook Pro 15/17

MacBookPro4,1

Capable

iMac

iMac8,1

Capable

UniBody MacBook Pro 15

MacBookPro5,1

Capable

UniBody MacBook Pro 17

MacBookPro5,2

Capable

Mac Pro

MacPro4,1

Capable

iMac

iMac9,1

Capable

Early 2009 Xserve

Xserve3,1

Using this seed and one of the K64-capable machines listed above, simply boot the Mac with the '6' and '4' keys held down to use the 64-bit kernel. Observe that uname -v reports RELEASE_X86_64.  Machines listed as "Default" and all Server installs will run K64 automatically when loaded with 10A402.

You can also set arch=x86_64 in your boot-args NVRAM variable, using nvram(8). When you're done, you can remove the boot-arg, or if you can no longer boot into an OS to unset it, hold command-option-P-R to zap NVRAM.

If you just want one partition to boot x86_64, edit the file /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and add arch=x86_64 to the kernel flags.

If some functionality is not working and you must revert to using the 32-bit kernel, you can either reboot with the '3' and '2' keys held down or set arch=i386 in your boot-args.

Kernel Debug Kit

A Kernel Debug Kit is also seeded along side this Snow Leopard seed. This package contains debug versions of the Mac OS X kernel and many I/O Kit families for use with GDB remote (two-machine) kernel debugging. These files contain full symbolic information, unlike the equivalent files in a normal Mac OS X installation. Also included are GDB macros useful for kernel debugging, a DEBUG kernel built without compiler optimizations, and a script for simplifying the creation of symbol files.

Bug Reporting

This build is being provided to you for testing and development purposes. Should you encounter any problems, please submit a bug report using the online Bug Reporter at <http://bugreporter.apple.com/>. Please make sure to include "10.6 (10A432)" in the bug title and description. This information will ensure that your bug is processed quickly.

When submitting a bug report, please make sure to include a Summary, Steps to Reproduce, Actual Results, Expected Results, the System Profile Report, and any other relevant information that is necessary to process the report.

IMPORTANT: Engineering requires additional information for crashing bugs, kernel panics, and hanging issues.

Crashing Bugs: Crash logs are required for crashing bugs. Crash logs can be located in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter

Kernel Panics: Backtraces, which contain vital information for investigating kernel panics, are required for kernel panic issues. Backtraces can be saved to nvram on restart shutdown, then copied to the panic.log file on restart. The panic.log file can be found in /Library/Logs/PanicReporter.

Hanging Issues: When an application is hung, a Sample should be provided. This can be done using the Activity Monitor (/Applications/Utilities/). To generate a Sample using this utility, click on the hung application name, then from the View Menu select "Sample Process".

For complete instructions on submitting bug reports, please visit the Bug Reporting page at <http://developer.apple.com/bugreporter/>

Legal Notices

The software identified above is Apple Confidential Information and your use of such software is subject to the Apple Developer Connection Programs Terms and Conditions, including the Prototype License and Confidentiality Agreement attached thereto. Distributing the software to anyone other than an ADC member who is working for the same entity as you is considered a violation of your agreement with Apple and is damaging to both Apple and those who develop for the Apple platform. We sincerely appreciate your efforts to keep this software Confidential.

You agree that you will not export or reexport any of the software or Confidential Information received from Apple (a) into (or to a national or resident of) any U.S. embargoed countries (currently, Cuba, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Sudan, or Syria) without first obtaining proper authorization from the U.S. Government; or (:unsure: to anyone on the U.S. Treasury Department's list of Specially Designated Nationals or the U.S. Department of Commerce Denied Person's List or Entity List.  You also agree that you will not use said software for any purposes where prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation, the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missile, chemical or biological weapons.

This seed note is an appendix to the Prototype License and Confidentiality Agreement between Apple Computer, Inc. and the addressee.

Runs great on my Alu MacBook! I think I'll stick to this one.......

I've already put the money aside to get the retail version when released, as it just feels smoother!?

SticMAC

ps: Yes I'm seeding......on 2,4 times! at max upload of 79.9kB/s

Runs great on my Alu MacBook! I think I'll stick to this one.......

I've already put the money aside to get the retail version when released, as it just feels smoother!?

SticMAC

ps: Yes I'm seeding......on 2,4 times! at max upload of 79.9kB/s

How did you install?

For those with access to all newsgroups, you can find the HOTiSO release there today in the alt.binaries.x group. For those who know how to use NZB files, the alt.binaries.mac group has one which links, which is also creatable using this indirect search link -

http://newzleech.com/?&min=6000&ma...06&m=search

Currently leeching from my own ISP at 50Mbits/sec ^_^

Mods, my apologies and please edit/delete this post if it is deemed to bend or stretch the rules, I am just trying to help other potential beta testers!

Anyone know where I could find (or how I could make) a boot-132 CD compatible with SL? I haven't played with boot loaders in a while so I forgot everything... LOL

I have just installed the new 10a432, and everything seems fine:) But one thing worries me, that I don't seem to have any quartz 2d extreme, or opengl or whatever those things are called. They just don't show up in the System Profiler, and xBench gives me a really low score of about 100 for opengl graphics with my 8800gt 512MB (which is much lower than my result in Leopard). Have I missed a kext or something else which gives me faster graphics? (my resolution is fine, and there is actually no jerkiness in general, and I am using EFI string).

Well on a real Mac Pro 3,1 there are still issues when running. I am in 64 bit mode and there are NVIDIA graphical issues with the 8800GT 512mb.

Upon booting with a monitor at 1080p resolution (1920x1080x32@60) and one at 1680x1050x32@60 the 1080p monitor is all garbled and the 1680x1050 appears normal.

Fixing this requires a sleep display or a resolution change.

Xbench also shows scores of less than 100 for the OpenGL graphics tests.

So I hope that this is NOT GM unless it has a graphical update ASAP.

Not sure if was mentioned above but this is not the GM!

From the MacRumors forums: "I work for Apple in London & i can confirm that build 10a432 is not the Golden Master it has just been given to select devs to test a few expert issues. 10A433 is on it's way (for server at least) and with uncomplete features like no prefs for quicktime and no default 64-bit for capable machines (i mean that not even the extensions are 64-bit by default). The installation has been polished and is being tested by the chosen devs. As i have heard there will be 1 or 2 more builds before it gets to golden master. There is still a bit of testing going on with the new bootcamp drivers but other than that it's basically there. i hope this corrects a few things, i'm not sure how pretty much the entire internet has got this wrong but none the less mistakes happen."

Heh.. pretty scary that they're working till the last minute. Already have Win 7 RTM from TechNet up and running, and the release date is still over 2 months away. Cost a bit more than Snow Leopard will, but still... seems like Apple is really cutting it close if they still expect to meet the Sept. release date.

Well it does really seem that Core2Duo-without-santa-rosa are going to be stuck with a 32bit kernel. Too bad. But anyway, my build already states that Darwin is NOT beta, and ive been using this build for a while now, so i wont upgrade till the retail release i guess.

What i care about now is that all the developers jump on to the 64bit bandwagon, so that i wont have to waste memory on 32bit libraries. iStat Menus, i'm looking at you!