borisbadenov ATI X1000-series Solution

RobNyc

1,381 posts in this topic

deetman: just to make absolutely clear... you installed from scratch with a JaS 10.4.6 DVD?

MacBlac: mine is an X1800XL PCI-E 256Mb, fyi.

JaS 10.4.6 + boris method ==> blue screen on boot instead of loginwindow

JaS 10.4.6 + 10.4.4 ATINDRV + 10.4.4 ATIX1000*.* + boris method ==> scrambled screen

Myzar 10.4.4 + boris method ==> i'll know once this damn DVD burns :happymac:

(im burning it over the network.. risky? :) )

Wig, I'll send you the address for my nice 30" wide screen LCD display LMAO

Munky, lol

Asapreta, The only reason I used this version of 10.4.5 was that is the one I could get at the time. I tried to use Jas 10.4.6 but it would not boot off my sata drive and I was too tired to play around wih too many things. but the update patch worked eaier. Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it

Thanks for your support. Do you think this may work on a x1300 card? BBA one.

Ok, I tried boris's method with the ATIRadeon kext's from 10.4.5 and 10.4.6. Couldn't get the gui to display.

Next I will try linking ATINDRV with Callisto. For Callisto, I believe you set ATY,WORMY to OMNI,CALLISTO. I'm not sure if this is correct as I am trying to recall off of my memory. I will double check what that string is and post back. Not sure if it will work, but it's worth a try.

I am using an ATI Radeon Mobility 9600.

munky: Actually, it was an upgrade from 10.4.4/10.4.5 Myzar...

The thing is, I don't think it would matter if it was an upgrade or not. If 10.4.6 has a newer version of the file/extension/whatever, it will copy over the 10.4.5 version. Atleast in theory it would...

I am going to be very surprised if this works for anything put an x1600 (and probably not all x1600s). I bet ATINDRV has some binary checks for the correct dev_id and its only got timings for a few versions of x1600.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but isn't ATINDRV's lack of support the whole reason for Callisto? Are they not both low level framebuffers? I'm still trying to get my head around the whole IOKit architecture...(I'm not a developer and don't pretend to be one. I'm just trying to understand how all this stuff works)

I'm still baffled on how a kext that shouldn't even load could make so much difference.

Could someone who has this working do a kextstat and post whether ATINDRV is loaded?

$ kextstat | grep ATI

55 0 0x2f2ba000 0x32000 0x31000 com.apple.kext.ATINDRV (4.2.6) <54 53 11>

65 0 0x2f3a4000 0x48000 0x47000 com.apple.ATIRadeonX1000 (4.2.6) <54 53 16 11>

Here is mine

~ boris$ kextstat | grep ATI

52 0 0x23eb4000 0x32000 0x31000 com.apple.kext.ATINDRV (4.2.4) <51 50 11>

66 0 0x297c7000 0x49000 0x48000 com.apple.ATIRadeonX1000 (4.2.4) <51 50 16 11>

Here is mine

~ boris$ kextstat | grep ATI

52 0 0x23eb4000 0x32000 0x31000 com.apple.kext.ATINDRV (4.2.4) <51 50 11>

66 0 0x297c7000 0x49000 0x48000 com.apple.ATIRadeonX1000 (4.2.4) <51 50 16 11>

Crazy,

4.2.4 is 10.4.5 and 4.2.6 is 10.4.6

EDIT: I got ATINDRV to load at boot. It still makes no sense that the damn kext would load during boot, but wouldn't load by hand later???? The "bar-code" vertical lines people have described is probably incorrect timings (or incorrect everythings) for the particular non-x1600 video card. If you get the vertical lines, reboot into single-user and do a kextstat, ATINDRV should be there. The fact that the driver doesn't even recognize the card even in working systems says something to how single-purposed it may be. Getting correct communication to cards that are waaaay off from an x1600 will be....maybe impossible??

I hope I get proved very very wrong :D

op

EDIT2: Has anyone tried dual-link yet?

With Callisto b003 + modified Callisto.kext from omni made on May 17, 2006 while I was testing some stuff for him for the X1kseries cards.

System profiler detects my 512mb *NOW* and it says the proper name *THANKS* to callisto/omni.

Radeon X1600 PRO (AGP):

Chipset Model: Radeon X1600 PRO (AGP)

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total) : 512 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x71c2

Revision ID: 0x0000

Display:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Dsiplay: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Jas 10.4.6

System profiler detects my 512mb *NOW* and it says the proper name *THANKS* to callisto/omni.

Radeon X1600 PRO (AGP):

Chipset Model: Radeon X1600 PRO (AGP)

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total) : 512 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x71c2

Revision ID: 0x0000

Display:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Dsiplay: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Jas 10.4.6

I have read so many of your postings...

This posting is a joke. Is this what you want to have?

A 512MB g-card without QE and CI and only 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz ?

Let me tell you here are many people who get a fully supported and working X1600.

You must have made something wrong or haven´t understood how it works...

Rgds.

In both cases you can get QE/CI with the same drivers: ATIRadeon9700*

The difference is that omni wrote a framebuffer driver, while the boris method makes use of the current framebuffer driver.

Why it works?

Well, normally, there should be an IOAGPDevice provided by IOPCIFamily.kext. And IONDRV should then proper detect an ATY card, matched after "display". The, IONDRVFramebuffer matches ATY... and QE/CI (from ATIRadeon9700GA) matches IONDRVFramebuffer. In between there are also an IOATINDRV, IONDRVDevice ... at least they are on a old ibook.

the boris method skips the part with ATY... so IONDRVFramebuffer matches directly "display"... and then GA uses IONDRVFramebuffer.... and voila....

Summarize:

Apple:

IOAGPDevice -> ATY -> IONDRVDevice -> IONDRVFramebuffer -> GA + display

boris method:

IOPCIDevice ----------------------> IONDRVFramebuffer --> GA + display

omni method:

IOPCIDevice -> VID -> JUPITER -> CallistoHAL -> CallistoFB -> GA + display

If I am not so accurate .... excuse ;) I am not an expert .... :)

yeah already tried, and even a long time ago ;) grey screen no mouse

there must be a hack if it doesnt work on X1800....

RobNYC does it work with the X1600 AGP?? :) if yes i know im gonna buy that :)

To answer your question. I just mv /System/Library/Extensions/Callisto* / ..

Did the steps boris gave, and it took a minute or 2 in the loading screen (never took longer than 5-10secs) before. Then I got a blink, then it all was working like magic. Native resolution, almost default, 19" lcd/widescreen 1440x900, but everything is good no qe/ci no name detection like callisto does either but this will be done in the future i hope, hopefully now these 2 ati guys can team up

I must agree with ohpossum ... I don;t think it will work for other cards except X1600's, except maybe with some binary hacking ...

I think that first the ones with AGP cards have to find a way to get IOAGPDevice working (from IOPCIFamily.kext)....

Then hacking ATINDRV.kext... but I guess that this is not a new idea ;) ...

So I reckon there is little chance.

Go omni! :)

I must agree with ohpossum ... I don;t think it will work for other cards except X1600's, except maybe with some binary hacking ...

I think that first the ones with AGP cards have to find a way to get IOAGPDevice working (from IOPCIFamily.kext)....

Then hacking ATINDRV.kext... but I guess that this is not a new idea ;) ...

So I reckon there is little chance.

Go omni! :)

Yea, I messed around with it for quite a while and I agree. It probably won't work with non x1600 cards.

Also what would it take to correctly get rid of this mouse tearing? The Framebuffer used to draw the mouse, correct?

Here are a few clarifications about what I have:

1) I am using an AGP X1600 Pro 256MB made by Sapphire, followed the exact procedure boris described.

2) There is absolutely NO mouse tearing

3) Everything appears to be FULLY supported, except System Profiler does not recognize the card as it would in an official machine

4) I don't have a DVI cable for my LCD, but if I did it would most likely work.

If you have any more questions, post them and I'll get to it tomorrow probably.

Here's mine

I been seeing a lot of question on 10.4.6..

I have it working under Jas 10.4.6 folks..

Sapphire Radeon X1600 Pro 512mb AGP (only 256mb detected though)

LCD/Widescreen is finally detected via VGA = Acer AL1916W and I finally have a proper native widescreen resolution 1440x900

But for some reason I didn't get qe/ci like others.

A suggestion, opening a temporary irc channel for ATI-X1000 would be good for fast answers and keeping this thread with the tools.

post-34649-1148019997_thumb.jpg

the x1600xt sapphire pci-x is supported?

function only in 10.4.4 .....?

in 10.4.3 function?

It work in my system 10.4.6 -

One other thing that people should do is to remove the "Graphics Mode" in the com.apple.Boot.plist...

If you see nothing then switch to safe mode and change resolution there.

For me (Sapphire x1600xt PCIe), I have to switch to DVI as VGA ouput was disabled after modified kexts...