So is mine out dated after 30 days ?

11 posts in this topic

I just bought my note book about 4 weeks ago maybe less. they all ready released the same notebook with a faster processor .. do you think that they would acept my note book and upgrade it if a call them ?

Probably not.

If you have problems with it and have to send it in more than a few times, they might replace it with a newer model. I've seen a few people be bumped from a 15" to a 17" in a situation like that.

This is how it is going to be. Now that Apple is using Intel-based processors, Apple will (finally!) have a shorter upgrade cycle. Gone are the days of purchasing a machine and it remaining top of the line for months and still in the lineup for sometimes as long as a year. Certainly this will cause people to be upset (and trust me dude, I feel for you) but it also keeps the technology advancing and Apple headed in the right direction. If you had purchased it within two weeks, you would be able to be upgraded/refunded but because of the length of time -- four weeks -- double Apple's policy, I doubt you will be able to upgrade and/or receive a refund. Sorry, but you're stuck. Enjoy your perfectly usable, fast, future-proof, that is not-quite-so-top-of-the-line-anymore machine.

This is how it is going to be. Now that Apple is using Intel-based processors, Apple will (finally!) have a shorter upgrade cycle. Gone are the days of purchasing a machine and it remaining top of the line for months and still in the lineup for sometimes as long as a year. Certainly this will cause people to be upset (and trust me dude, I feel for you) but it also keeps the technology advancing and Apple headed in the right direction. If you had purchased it within two weeks, you would be able to be upgraded/refunded but because of the length of time -- four weeks -- double Apple's policy, I doubt you will be able to upgrade and/or receive a refund. Sorry, but you're stuck. Enjoy your perfectly usable, fast, future-proof, that is not-quite-so-top-of-the-line-anymore machine.

Well said. :P

Don't feel bad. I still have my iBook G3 and it is holding up. I had to send it to Apple to replace the logic board, but besides that, everything is fine. It may not be the latest model, but it still works and that's what counts.

EDIT Powermax gave my my money back for it because it would have cost as much to fix it as it would to get a new one.

Don't feel bad. I still have my iBook G3 and it is holding up. I had to send it to Apple to replace the logic board, but besides that, everything is fine. It may not be the latest model, but it still works and that's what counts.

yea i know someone who had a faulty logic board as well, they bumped his g3 to a g4 ibook with 1 gig of ram (he only had 512).

I haven't had any issues with my G3 iBook.

Anyhoo, you got iivx-ed (pronounced two-vee-exed). It's a long standing thing with Apple that users tend to get a new system right before a big Apple announcement, and it started with the iivx model (a newer, shinier, faster model came out within a month).

In any event, don't feel pissed off and enjoy your laptop. It will still last you a long time.

When I bought my iBook, i got it cheap as a student deal. Then a month later the next model came out.

I was majorly anoyed, but my iBook lasted my 18months. It wasnt the fastest on the planet (933mhz) but it looked the dogs. This is the way with apple, even an old broken G3 PM i have at home looks smart.

Be happy that apple will support you for at least 3 years, and your system is fast enough for your needs. :P

Asking for the updated model is worth a shot. If you purchased your Mac a couple of months ago I doubt they would consider it but 4 weeks? Might as well call them and give them a try.

I know it sounds shady, but can you RETURN the laptop? Or better yet SAY you are going to because they wont upgrade you. Dell customer service (what you find someone you can understand) will do jumpingjacks to make sure you are happy with your product.

From what I understand, you cannot return the laptop after 14 days (I just bought an iBook LESS than a month ago, and I had two days left to return it when MacBooks came out! Thankfully, I was able to return it and upgrade for $150 plus tax after the educational discount, which I did NOT get for the original purpose). I feel for ya, but I don't think they'll let you... (and I know how much it sucks -- a lot). And the eBay way is risky and loses you money.

But if you have an Intel already, you should just stick with it; it's only a question if you're talking about the iBook -> MacBook transition here (and if it's four weeks... that sucks bigtime. In fact, the people at the Apple store said they just showed up and they told them to start sellin' em pretty much).

My new 1.83GHz MacBook has proven to be very happy so far. Then again, it's my first dual-core machine EVER, so it's considerably faster at doing stuff than any other machine I've had before. I hope you find a satisfying solution, either way.