GMA X4500

Tienneke

368 posts in this topic

Just thought I'd touch base on this, as I just got a new Dell INSPIRON 15 ( 1545 ).

Seems that this trick does work with much playing around with it, however it will not boot unless I have another display connected to it.

First try:

Would boot to a Blue screen, then go black.

Second try:

Hooked a Second monitor up, though it will only boot if I "FN" "Display" to the second monitor before fulling booting, once the Second monitor is up, I then continue booting with -v.

Once it runs through the system checks, I noticed that there is an error ( IG Firmware backlit unable to be set)

Once it startS to pop up the Blue screen, it switches back to the lcd, and I have the common Mouse problem.

However, if I boot the LCD, it will Auto switch to the Second monitor once it hits the blue screen as well.

But this method locks the computer up, as booting the Second monitor followed by the auto switching to the LCD allows it to boot into the OS.

I can provide more systems test if needed.

It seems Mine is having trouble Setting the back lit for the LCD and trouble with Selecting the correct Display at the Blue screen right before it logins into the OS.

-OMN

ipoco & Tienneke

i removed the last remaining file (sorry for the earlier mistake). However, what should I be doing next? Any tricks or should I wait for an updated driver? 1024 x 768 resolution is hard to use (:

Thanks

OK I would suggest running the script again. Make sure that you use the -r flag since this will remove the problem kext : AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext but will still install the framebuffer. You should then be able to get native resolution no problem. BTW I don't think Tienneke would have liked how you spelt his name :)

@Tienneke/coldequation: I updated by BIOS (yes it was old) and no change. I'll be on IRC tomorrow. I was distracted at the time so I'm not sure exactly what you proposed to do.

iPoco

Ok, by native resolution, you mean 1280 x 1024 or whatever my monitor supports. Right? Currently, the only option that's showing up is 1024 x 768 which makes everything look very large

Thanks

Yes. It also depending on the scren can make things very streched.

iPoco

Ok, by native resolution, you mean 1280 x 1024 or whatever my monitor supports. Right? Currently, the only option that's showing up is 1024 x 768 which makes everything look very large

Thanks

Okay, there should be a way of doing this you know, it seems like you didn't really know what kexts to remove and what kexts to keep.

The way to go is definitely try to re-run the script. The problem is gonna be that you don't have any kext left at the moment, since you moved everything out of the /System/Library/Extensions folder (I'm gonna shorten that into /S/L/E/ now)

So for starters you'll need to get a hold of the original kexts, as they came with the latest update or install. If you don't know how to do that, search the forum for 'pacifist howto' or something like that, it'll give you enough information.

Once you got the original kexts in place, you'll need to patch them again using the script. As iPoco said before: make sure you remove the *device ID*AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext. Keep the *device ID*AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

You should know that the original kexts will not be changed and as thus will not load. This means that you can leave them where they are, they'll do no harm..

Also make sure you download the latest patch script, since the previous version had a few errors..

Just thought I'd touch base on this, as I just got a new Dell INSPIRON 15 ( 1545 ).

Seems that this trick does work with much playing around with it, however it will not boot unless I have another display connected to it.

First try:

Would boot to a Blue screen, then go black.

Second try:

Hooked a Second monitor up, though it will only boot if I "FN" "Display" to the second monitor before fulling booting, once the Second monitor is up, I then continue booting with -v.

Once it runs through the system checks, I noticed that there is an error ( IG Firmware backlit unable to be set)

Once it startS to pop up the Blue screen, it switches back to the lcd, and I have the common Mouse problem.

However, if I boot the LCD, it will Auto switch to the Second monitor once it hits the blue screen as well.

But this method locks the computer up, as booting the Second monitor followed by the auto switching to the LCD allows it to boot into the OS.

I can provide more systems test if needed.

It seems Mine is having trouble Setting the back lit for the LCD and trouble with Selecting the correct Display at the Blue screen right before it logins into the OS.

-OMN

Thanks you for sharing your results so thoroughly! I don't know how to help you completely, but can give you a few hints.

First of all, the IG backlit is quite normal, this is because the hardware registers of the GMAX4500MHD are at a different location than the registers for the GMAX3100. So no worries about that, it shouldn't change your backlight or anything, since the system doesn't know at what hardware address to set the new brightness :P

Secondly, I'm wondering if you deleted the non-FB kext or not. The behavior you describe is the behaviour of a system with the non-FB kext in place. So maybe double check that your /S/L/E only has the *deviceID*AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext and all the AppleIntelGMAX3100* kexts?

Thank you Tienneke,

*AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext and all the AppleIntelGMAX3100* kexts are in place, the only thing I Deleted so far is the 2A42 kets in -s to boot again without a second monitor.

Here is the code I run from the script, I might have messed it up though,

/Users/***/Downloads/patch4500-2.bash -rf 2A42

patch4500-2.bash: This is not a tested (stock 10.5.7) AppleIntelGMAX3100FB version, but it might work anyway.

patch4500-2.bash: This is not a tested (stock 10.5.7) AppleIntelGMAX3100 version, but it might work anyway.

patch4500-2.bash: Removing 2A42AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext

patch4500-2.bash: Please reboot now!

bash-3.2#

/code]

Not sure if this is the problem though? Removing 2A42AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext in the script, though I do remember the x3100 having this similar problem as I describe, back when people was trying to get them running as well.

Thanks for all the help.

-OMN

P.S.

System build is 10.5.6, Build 9G55

Just another thought though, Has anyone tried with the 3100FB from 10.5.0 & 10.5.1? this method fixed this issue back when on the 3100, trying to find my original 10.5.0 disc now to try, if it works I'll post back with results, if not I'll just add the original FB *.5.6 FB back in and fiddle around with some other settings as well.

Just a pain, Laptop is working fully other than video, no restart / shutdown / sleep problems so far, and vanilla Kernel. sigh*

Thanks again,

-OMN

Thank you Tienneke,

*AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext and all the AppleIntelGMAX3100* kexts are in place, the only thing I Deleted so far is the 2A42 kets in -s to boot again without a second monitor.

Here is the code I run from the script, I might have messed it up though,

/Users/***/Downloads/patch4500-2.bash -rf 2A42

patch4500-2.bash: This is not a tested (stock 10.5.7) AppleIntelGMAX3100FB version, but it might work anyway.

patch4500-2.bash: This is not a tested (stock 10.5.7) AppleIntelGMAX3100 version, but it might work anyway.

patch4500-2.bash: Removing 2A42AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext

patch4500-2.bash: Please reboot now!

bash-3.2#

/code]

Not sure if this is the problem though? Removing 2A42AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext in the script, though I do remember the x3100 having this similar problem as I describe, back when people was trying to get them running as well.

The -r flag is what makes the 2a42AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext be removed. At the moment that is what we want because it does not yet work.

iPoco

The -r flag is what makes the 2a42AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext be removed. At the moment that is what we want because it does not yet work.

iPoco

Okay thank you, just double checking was all.

When you say not working, I do have 1 Question though, when I do boot with the Second monitor followed by the Auto switching, I am able to load the x3100.kext, just no CI/QE, but Res. changing is fully detected, is it just the matter of the 2a42 non-FB loading, or is there more problems to it? hope that helps any un-given info.

-OMN

The changing of resolution is permitted by the FB. Hmmm... We are not really sure what the exact problem is with the non FB kext yet. coldequation is going to do some debugging in the near future. Generally people who have the non FB loaded will not get to the login screen. The only exception was chopped (we beleive this is because he removed other kexts such as the .plugin and .bundle X3100)

iPoco

Okay, thank you iPoco.

For now I'll just fiddle with the system, as I have all my original .Kext in a single folder, Kinda ocd like that when testing things.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

-OMN

Edit*

Yeah, 2a42 non-FB loads and detect memory strings without .plugin and .bundle X3100 ( Still needs second monitor to boot into login though )

Any chance any of you have the FB from 10.5.0 or 10.5.1?

Having trouble finding my Vanilla 10.5.0 Disc at the moment, thanks

-OMN

Unfortunately, this script doesn't work for me. Just like previous user reported, after running the script with device ID: 2A42, repaired the permission, reboot. Blue Screen and then Black screen, it looks like the graphics output is switched to external display. Don't have a monitor at hand so not able to test further.

Same symptom in Safe Mode (-x) either, which is interesting as the modified kext files should not be loaded in Safe Mode.

haven't got time to remove the 2A42 kext from extensions folder. Will try later.

My configuration is: Dell Latitude E6400 with X4500HD, Device ID: 2A42. MAC OSX 10.5.7 iATKOS v7.

Still, I want to thank you for this hard work and it really give me a big hope that X4500 will be supported eventually. thanks for your brilliant work. I will check the update of this post daily. :)

Kudos!

BTW: let me know if you need me to run any testing for the new releases.

OMN-- hi. I haven't been keeping track on this thread because Tienneke is doing such a great job. :) That allows me to focus on getting the non-FB kext to load and enable QE/CI.

You are able to get the non-FB to load because it is precisely the plugins that provide QE/CI and ultimately cause the non-FB to fail.

I am interested in your comment that: "Yeah, 2a42 non-FB loads and detect memory strings without .plugin and .bundle X3100"

What do you mean by "detect memory strings"?

Also, could you try an experiment? See http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=129744 for details-- my last post. If you can do that experiment and post the results, that would be great.

It would be even cooler if you could try the experiment *with* the plugins, and then repeat *without* the plugins.

Thanks,

-u

Okay thank you, just double checking was all.

When you say not working, I do have 1 Question though, when I do boot with the Second monitor followed by the Auto switching, I am able to load the x3100.kext, just no CI/QE, but Res. changing is fully detected, is it just the matter of the 2a42 non-FB loading, or is there more problems to it? hope that helps any un-given info.

-OMN

OMN-- hi. I haven't been keeping track on this thread because Tienneke is doing such a great job. :thumbsup_anim: That allows me to focus on getting the non-FB kext to load and enable QE/CI.

You are able to get the non-FB to load because it is precisely the plugins that provide QE/CI and ultimately cause the non-FB to fail.

I am interested in your comment that: "Yeah, 2a42 non-FB loads and detect memory strings without .plugin and .bundle X3100"

What do you mean by "detect memory strings"?

Also, could you try an experiment? See http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=129744 for details-- my last post. If you can do that experiment and post the results, that would be great.

It would be even cooler if you could try the experiment *with* the plugins, and then repeat *without* the plugins.

Thanks,

-u

When I have 2a42appleintelgmax3100.kext loaded, it init. the memory and detects I believe the memory size values, but it does verify the memory unit.

I'll try the above posted asap.

thank you,

-OMN

I have a Dell Studio 1737 with the 2A42, and I was able to get native resolution but with graphical defects, mouse pointer is garbage, big horizontal lines. I can see stuff but it's not very good.

I have a Dell Studio 1737 with the 2A42, and I was able to get native resolution but with graphical defects, mouse pointer is garbage, big horizontal lines. I can see stuff but it's not very good.

Also a known bug. On IRC we discussed that this might be a problem of your display not reporting the correct EDID string to the driver.

If I understood well coldequation is trying to find a way of getting this fixed.

What could help us is, if you have access to windows, to post your EDID string here, I can try to make a natit that would inject the right EDID in the driver, and thus hope to fix it. It seems osX has a problem of collecting the EDID information correctly, since it's also a problem for ATI cards, and used to be for NVidia cards..

What could help us is, if you have access to windows, to post your EDID string here, I can try to make a natit that would inject the right EDID in the driver, and thus hope to fix it. It seems osX has a problem of collecting the EDID information correctly, since it's also a problem for ATI cards, and used to be for NVidia cards..

Hi, not wanting to push in, but how do you get the EDID string in windows?

Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_disp...data#Background in the fourth paragraph.

iPoco

I found it, but thanks

00FFFFFFFFFFFF00320C01A10000000000110102802517780A1C859A59528D28
245054000000010101010101010101010101010101019525A04051840C304020
13006FE610000019000000000000000000000000000000000000000000FE004C
475068696C6970734C43440A000000FE004C503137315750342D544C4E310024

I used Monitor Asset Manager to point me in the right direction

[Edit]

Corrected EDID

I'm going to attempt to install Win XP tonight, but can I get the EDID through OS X somehow? I could copy/paste it.

Would doing a DSDT help this problem at all?

Something strange here...

My 2A42AppleIntelGMAX3100FB (the 2A42AppleIntelGMAX3100 was removed) is being loaded on my Sony VAIO VGN-FW245J, but I can't get native resolution (1600x900)...

Attaching my Plasma TV via VGA port with the notebook powered off, I started Leopard and can get only 800x600x32 (60 hertz) on my TV (my notebook display shows a completely corrupted image)...

Using the "Spaces" feature from Leopard, I dragged the "Display" window from the notebook side to Plasma TV. I realize that Leopard isn't showing valid resolutions for the built-in display (1600x900 native res)... The resolutions listed there are:

- 640x480 (60, 75, 85, 90, 95, 100 and 120Hz)

- 800x600 (60, 75, 85, 90, 96, 100 and 120Hz)

- 1024x768 (60, 75, 85, 90, 96, 100 and 120Hz)

- 1280x768 (60, 75, 85, 90, 96, 100 and 120Hz)

- 1280x960 (60, 75, 85, 90, 95, 100 and 120Hz)

- 1280x1024 (60, 75, 85, 90, 96, 100 and 120Hz)

- 1344x1008 (60, 75, 85, 90, 96, 100 and 120Hz)

- 1400x1050 (60, 75, 85, 90, 96, 100 and 120Hz)

- 1600x1200 (60, 75, 85, 90, 96 and 100Hz)

- 1920x1440 (60 and 75Hz)

- 2048x1536 (60Hz)

I tried them all... Only resolutions from 1280x960 up to 2048x1536 worked (except 1600x1200) and just @ 60Hz...

BUT... Obviously, 1280x960 don't fit on 1600x900 display, what I get is an image with 60px cropped at the bottom... At the right side, I get just a black border...

07212009188.th.jpg

With 1280x1024, the same behavior... Hmmm... Opppps... The black border is at the same size...

Testing with 1344x1008... The same size...

All tested resolutions (up to 2048x1536) are showing the black border with the same size... The width for the available area is exactly 1280...!!!! The Leopard clearly not detected my builtin display... ;)

EDID related? Ideas?

Well, Olive got my wheels turning to try something.

If I don't "FN""Display" the second monitor and boot, Once My LCD goes black I typed in my password and sure enough my second monitor came to life, I was able to scoll the mouse over to it.

Really odd that if I boot from the second monitor first, then, and only then will the LCD work.

So I'm with olive, for some odd reason our LCD displays are not being detected correctly giving use the blue to Black screen issue...

Could it be a simple EDID problem?

Well, Olive got my wheels turning to try something.

If I don't "FN""Display" the second monitor and boot, Once My LCD goes black I typed in my password and sure enough my second monitor came to life, I was able to scoll the mouse over to it.

Really odd that if I boot from the second monitor first, then, and only then will the LCD work.

So I'm with olive, for some odd reason our LCD displays are not being detected correctly giving use the blue to Black screen issue...

Could it be a simple EDID problem?

i think that that is entirely possible, and surely something to test. I'm now leaving for work, if I find time to make the natit I'll post it here.. Otherwise search the forums for edid override, think there must be a lot of info about it.. (a good natit to start from would be the natit provided by trauma in the normal thread..)