GMA X4500

• Please log in to reply
364 replies to this topic

Poco

Poco

InsanelyMac Plumber

• Supervisors
  • 1,480 posts

Tienneke suggested deleting AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext. How do I do that? Can I do it coming to the command prompt after hitting F8? Some details would help

Boot into single user mode. Where you entered -v instead enter -s. Then you can enter:

/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /
rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/<name of kext here>
rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Boot with -f the next startup.

iPoco

sam008

sam008

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
It did not work. Here's what I did

1) After F8, I booted with -s
2) Then entered all four commands below (the last two commands gave me no output)
3) Typed 'reboot'
4) After F8, I booted with -f

Since it did not work, I ran through this one more time and both 'rm' commands returned file not found since I had already deleted them. This time, after reboot I used the -F string and still getting the blue screen

Are there any additional files I have to delete?

Poco

Poco

InsanelyMac Plumber

• Supervisors
  • 1,480 posts
I've had problems with removing files via -s in the past. You can look through what files are in the extensions folder by using
ls -l | more
The only files that this installed were (unless using -r):
-2a42AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext
-2a42AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext

Without them you should be back to where your system was before you installed the patch. The -f flag used to rebuild the kext cache you can try without it.

iPoco

sam008

sam008

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
I saw that AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext was still in the folder so I deleted it and get the same blue screen whether I boot with -f or not

I still see the following files with '3100' in their file name in the Extensions directory. Should I delete them as well?
AppleIntelGMA3100GA.plgin
AppleIntelGMA3100GLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelGMA3100VADriver.bundle

Poco

Poco

InsanelyMac Plumber

• Supervisors
  • 1,480 posts

I saw that AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext was still in the folder so I deleted it and get the same blue screen whether I boot with -f or not

I still see the following files with '3100' in their file name in the Extensions directory. Should I delete them as well?
AppleIntelGMA3100GA.plgin
AppleIntelGMA3100GLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelGMA3100VADriver.bundle

The .plugin and .bundle items in the /Extensions folder are loaded by their kext. So in this case AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext. I thought of one other file that you may not have removed: 2a42AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext. If this kext is in the folder it will try to load the .plugin and .bundle which are not yet working. If this doesn't work you can try do a wildcard move BUT ONLY after you have tried removing the other file and boot with -f:

mkdir /X3100Backup
sudo mv -R /System/Library/Extensions/*X3100* /X3100Backup
iPoco

Tienneke

Tienneke

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

HW Brand new Gateway SX2800 running Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset
SW ideneb 10.5.5

Guys

I tried doing this but my PC boots into a blue screen and remains there. I tried safe mode by doing F8 and -x but it still comes back to the blue screen.

Tienneke suggested deleting AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext. How do I do that? Can I do it coming to the command prompt after hitting F8? Some details would help

Yes, it is possible.. I'll give you step by step instructions:
  • mount -uw
  • cd /System/Library/Extensions
  • mv *your device ID*AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext /
  • reboot
You might notice I put mv instead of rm (move instead of delete), just so you could very easily try if you need the kext again. The script doesn't touch the standard AppleIntelGMAX3100, so there's no need moving that away.

What device ID do you have? (if you boot into graphics mode do the following: apple icon (top left corner of your screen) --> about this mac --> more info --> Graphics, look at the right column, there'll be a line stating your device ID..)

So lucky,Its work for me,But another problem come,the cursor disappeared,So ,what to do next?

That's an issue that we have not been able to pinpoint yet. It appears consistently on laptops with 2 graphics cards (lenovo T500, got an integrated GMA X4500 and a dedicated radeon), and on some other pc's too.. We can't yet help you, the best solution is making your cursor bigger (in system preferences). There'll be a point where the cursor reappears (it'll be quite big)

BTW, great work; getting there.

I have an Asus P5Q-EM; the device id is

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Eaglelake Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2e22] (rev 03)

And...

then I noticed this:

00:02.1 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation Eaglelake HECI Controller [8086:2e23] (rev 03)

I'm thinking this is probably the HDMI side of the on-board?

I've yet to play with this enough to know if the mac side even sees the HDMI, but that would be Sweet!

jp

Thank you :) It's really a community effort, a great community.

The two devices are most probably the graphics controller and the graphics memory controller, that has a different device ID (got that from coldequation).. If you want to know more about that, you can read all about it in the linux device docs for X4500 (coldequation gave me the infos, but really was not so interested that I would read through it :P )

Okay, here's my process and results so far:

HW: Asus P5Q-EM with x4500 integrated on-board

Comes up fine in 1024x768; no adjustments available.

System Profiler reports:

Display:

Type: Display
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x2e22
Revision ID: 0x0003
Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Depth: 32-Bit Color
Core Image: Software
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Results:

I first ran the script by itself, free of any additional arguements (I had previously put the lspci.txt at root)

Script ran fine; found the ID, created the kext, and gave me the "This is not a tested (stock 10.5.7) AppleIntelGMAX3100 version, but it might work anyway." I am running an iDeneb-based vanilla kernel install, updated to 10.5.7

Repaired permissions, rebooted, got the nice blue screen, followed by a blank dead screen, and my monitor giving me the "out of range" comment

Said "hmmm...."; deleted the kext and boot back into the stock driver.

DL's the 10.5.7 combo update, used Pacifist to replace the stock apple driver. Rebooted (for grins), ran the script again; same error message (so is the script seeing the "stock" apple driver correctly?)

booted into superuser, moved the stock apple driver out to a folder at root (to make sure somehow it and the modified kexts were separated), and rebooted again with -f.

Same result; dead black screen.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated; I am curious about the error message coming out of the script after re-installing the known 10.5.7 kexts from the combo update...

THis would be really nice to get working, as the accepted graphics workaround for the P5Q family has been a pci card...and those nvidias are about as quiet as a 747 coming in low over your house...

thanks!

UPDATE: THe chipset I'm using is a G45, and so the graphics unit is really an X4500HD...could it be that this is significantly different enough from the X3100 driver set that it isn't getting it done?

Well, great we fount somebody with X4500HD.. Up till now we only tested on X4500MHD, the mobile version. It can be interesting if you would want to do more testing, but the testing is best to happen in the non-genius bar thread ( http://www.insanelym...howtopic=129744 ). It seems that our method might not work directly for X4500HD, but maybe with a little fiddling? :D (I'm mostly over optimistic :P )

otteporihs

otteporihs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I also have the cursor problem.
Mine is X200 tablet, 4500MHD (1280x800 screen) running iATKOS v7 with stock graphic driver (display only 1024x768). I ran the script and the resolution is ok now. However there is no mouse cursor on the screen.

Poco

Poco

InsanelyMac Plumber

• Supervisors
  • 1,480 posts

Mine is X200 tablet, 4500MHD (1280x800 screen) running iATKOS v7 with stock graphic driver (display only 1024x768). I ran the script and the resolution is ok now. However there is no mouse cursor on the screen.

Yup well known. Seems to be common to all Lenovos. Hey tienneke/coldequation I found something interesting today. Sometimes when I move my mouse it flickers on and I can see the cursor (still buried by lines) and then its gone the next second. Also something interesting is that on some startups I get garbage for a mouse. A little rectagle around 5cm below the real location and then other startups I'm lucky enough to get two rectangles. One 5cm below the mouse and the other where the cursor actually is. I've even once had a one pixel mouse in white.

On a note of another problem sometimes when I startup my screen really green. Then if I change resolutions it goes away. I'm sure I wrote this somewhere else before but just posting it again :D <_<

CryticX

CryticX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I fixed the mouse (sorta) by downloading mighty mouse and magnifying the mouse.

Poco

Poco

InsanelyMac Plumber

• Supervisors
  • 1,480 posts

I fixed the mouse (sorta) by downloading mighty mouse and magnifying the mouse.

As pointed out by chopped you can get the mouse to show by editing the size inside of System Preferences.

iPoco

Asher Lev

Asher Lev

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
My laptop is a Inspiron 1545 by Dell.
Actually there is something like a cursor, but it is a rectangle with a lot of green lines.

OriginalMACNUT

OriginalMACNUT

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 617 posts
Just thought I'd touch base on this, as I just got a new Dell INSPIRON 15 ( 1545 ).

Seems that this trick does work with much playing around with it, however it will not boot unless I have another display connected to it.

First try:
Would boot to a Blue screen, then go black.

Second try:
Hooked a Second monitor up, though it will only boot if I "FN" "Display" to the second monitor before fulling booting, once the Second monitor is up, I then continue booting with -v.

Once it runs through the system checks, I noticed that there is an error ( IG Firmware backlit unable to be set)

Once it startS to pop up the Blue screen, it switches back to the lcd, and I have the common Mouse problem.

However, if I boot the LCD, it will Auto switch to the Second monitor once it hits the blue screen as well.
But this method locks the computer up, as booting the Second monitor followed by the auto switching to the LCD allows it to boot into the OS.

I can provide more systems test if needed.

It seems Mine is having trouble Setting the back lit for the LCD and trouble with Selecting the correct Display at the Blue screen right before it logins into the OS.
-OMN

sam008

sam008

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
ipoco & Tienneke

i removed the last remaining file (sorry for the earlier mistake). However, what should I be doing next? Any tricks or should I wait for an updated driver? 1024 x 768 resolution is hard to use (:

Thanks

Poco

Poco

InsanelyMac Plumber

• Supervisors
  • 1,480 posts
OK I would suggest running the script again. Make sure that you use the -r flag since this will remove the problem kext : <Device ID>AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext but will still install the framebuffer. You should then be able to get native resolution no problem. BTW I don't think Tienneke would have liked how you spelt his name :)

@Tienneke/coldequation: I updated by BIOS (yes it was old) and no change. I'll be on IRC tomorrow. I was distracted at the time so I'm not sure exactly what you proposed to do.

iPoco

sam008

sam008

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Ok, by native resolution, you mean 1280 x 1024 or whatever my monitor supports. Right? Currently, the only option that's showing up is 1024 x 768 which makes everything look very large

Thanks

Poco

Poco

InsanelyMac Plumber

• Supervisors
  • 1,480 posts

Ok, by native resolution, you mean 1280 x 1024 or whatever my monitor supports. Right? Currently, the only option that's showing up is 1024 x 768 which makes everything look very large

Thanks

Yes. It also depending on the scren can make things very streched.

iPoco

Tienneke

Tienneke

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Thanks

Okay, there should be a way of doing this you know, it seems like you didn't really know what kexts to remove and what kexts to keep.

The way to go is definitely try to re-run the script. The problem is gonna be that you don't have any kext left at the moment, since you moved everything out of the /System/Library/Extensions folder (I'm gonna shorten that into /S/L/E/ now)

So for starters you'll need to get a hold of the original kexts, as they came with the latest update or install. If you don't know how to do that, search the forum for 'pacifist howto' or something like that, it'll give you enough information.

Once you got the original kexts in place, you'll need to patch them again using the script. As iPoco said before: make sure you remove the *device ID*AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext. Keep the *device ID*AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

You should know that the original kexts will not be changed and as thus will not load. This means that you can leave them where they are, they'll do no harm..

Also make sure you download the latest patch script, since the previous version had a few errors..

Just thought I'd touch base on this, as I just got a new Dell INSPIRON 15 ( 1545 ).

Seems that this trick does work with much playing around with it, however it will not boot unless I have another display connected to it.

First try:
Would boot to a Blue screen, then go black.

Second try:
Hooked a Second monitor up, though it will only boot if I "FN" "Display" to the second monitor before fulling booting, once the Second monitor is up, I then continue booting with -v.

Once it runs through the system checks, I noticed that there is an error ( IG Firmware backlit unable to be set)

Once it startS to pop up the Blue screen, it switches back to the lcd, and I have the common Mouse problem.

However, if I boot the LCD, it will Auto switch to the Second monitor once it hits the blue screen as well.
But this method locks the computer up, as booting the Second monitor followed by the auto switching to the LCD allows it to boot into the OS.

I can provide more systems test if needed.

It seems Mine is having trouble Setting the back lit for the LCD and trouble with Selecting the correct Display at the Blue screen right before it logins into the OS.
-OMN

Thanks you for sharing your results so thoroughly! I don't know how to help you completely, but can give you a few hints.

First of all, the IG backlit is quite normal, this is because the hardware registers of the GMAX4500MHD are at a different location than the registers for the GMAX3100. So no worries about that, it shouldn't change your backlight or anything, since the system doesn't know at what hardware address to set the new brightness :P

Secondly, I'm wondering if you deleted the non-FB kext or not. The behavior you describe is the behaviour of a system with the non-FB kext in place. So maybe double check that your /S/L/E only has the *deviceID*AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext and all the AppleIntelGMAX3100* kexts?

OriginalMACNUT

OriginalMACNUT

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 617 posts
Thank you Tienneke,

*AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext and all the AppleIntelGMAX3100* kexts are in place, the only thing I Deleted so far is the 2A42 kets in -s to boot again without a second monitor.

Here is the code I run from the script, I might have messed it up though,
[code=auto:0]/Users/***/Downloads/patch4500-2.bash -rf 2A42
patch4500-2.bash: This is not a tested (stock 10.5.7) AppleIntelGMAX3100FB version, but it might work anyway.
patch4500-2.bash: This is not a tested (stock 10.5.7) AppleIntelGMAX3100 version, but it might work anyway.
patch4500-2.bash: Removing 2A42AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext
patch4500-2.bash: Please reboot now!
bash-3.2#
/code]

Not sure if this is the problem though? Removing 2A42AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext in the script, though I do remember the x3100 having this similar problem as I describe, back when people was trying to get them running as well.

Thanks for all the help.
-OMN

P.S.
System build is 10.5.6, Build 9G55
Just another thought though, Has anyone tried with the 3100FB from 10.5.0 & 10.5.1? this method fixed this issue back when on the 3100, trying to find my original 10.5.0 disc now to try, if it works I'll post back with results, if not I'll just add the original FB *.5.6 FB back in and fiddle around with some other settings as well.

Just a pain, Laptop is working fully other than video, no restart / shutdown / sleep problems so far, and vanilla Kernel. sigh*

Thanks again,
-OMN

Poco

Poco

InsanelyMac Plumber

• Supervisors
  • 1,480 posts

Thank you Tienneke,

*AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext and all the AppleIntelGMAX3100* kexts are in place, the only thing I Deleted so far is the 2A42 kets in -s to boot again without a second monitor.

Here is the code I run from the script, I might have messed it up though,
[code=auto:0]/Users/***/Downloads/patch4500-2.bash -rf 2A42
patch4500-2.bash: This is not a tested (stock 10.5.7) AppleIntelGMAX3100FB version, but it might work anyway.
patch4500-2.bash: This is not a tested (stock 10.5.7) AppleIntelGMAX3100 version, but it might work anyway.
patch4500-2.bash: Removing 2A42AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext
patch4500-2.bash: Please reboot now!
bash-3.2#
/code]

Not sure if this is the problem though? Removing 2A42AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext in the script, though I do remember the x3100 having this similar problem as I describe, back when people was trying to get them running as well.

The -r flag is what makes the 2a42AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext be removed. At the moment that is what we want because it does not yet work.

iPoco

OriginalMACNUT

OriginalMACNUT

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 617 posts

The -r flag is what makes the 2a42AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext be removed. At the moment that is what we want because it does not yet work.

iPoco

Okay thank you, just double checking was all.
When you say not working, I do have 1 Question though, when I do boot with the Second monitor followed by the Auto switching, I am able to load the x3100.kext, just no CI/QE, but Res. changing is fully detected, is it just the matter of the 2a42 non-FB loading, or is there more problems to it? hope that helps any un-given info.
-OMN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy