• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

BCT Instructor

BCT Instructor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
How do you intend to buy a legal copy? No retail version of Mac OS X ships with Intel compatible discs. The only way to legally obtain the Intel code on DVD is to purchase an Intel Mac. Period. So that ends your quest for a legal copy of OS X for Intel there. Sorry. The ELUA has been debated a million times before, so we won't get into that.

I would look at your expansion options for the G5 a bit closer. You can get add-on SATA cards with external ports and external enclosures for your storage, eliminating the FW400/800 issue you were discussing.

More RAM. Our Dual 2.5 G5 had 5GB of RAM in it and works like a charm. Many production companies have managed to produce all HD content with G5 systems without resorting to illegal means. The solutions are out there...you just need to look closer.

Hacking OS X on a generic PC so you can tinker at home is one thing, but using it for a profit in business is true piracy.

Hope this doesn't sound like a "Mac zealot" screaming at you...just think that a business should stay legit. Leave the hacks to the "personal enlightenment" category...

blinksilver

blinksilver

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

How do you intend to buy a legal copy? No retail version of Mac OS X ships with Intel compatible discs. The only way to legally obtain the Intel code on DVD is to purchase an Intel Mac. Period. So that ends your quest for a legal copy of OS X for Intel there. Sorry. The ELUA has been debated a million times before, so we won't get into that.

I would look at your expansion options for the G5 a bit closer. You can get add-on SATA cards with external ports and external enclosures for your storage, eliminating the FW400/800 issue you were discussing.

More RAM. Our Dual 2.5 G5 had 5GB of RAM in it and works like a charm. Many production companies have managed to produce all HD content with G5 systems without resorting to illegal means. The solutions are out there...you just need to look closer.

Hacking OS X on a generic PC so you can tinker at home is one thing, but using it for a profit in business is true piracy.

Hope this doesn't sound like a "Mac zealot" screaming at you...just think that a business should stay legit. Leave the hacks to the "personal enlightenment" category...

instead of going out of your way to buy a new system with a crazy Apple preimium, why don't you just buy a new CPU(assuming apple does not have some kinda custom version with a lock)? If the project is single threaded (l have no idea how FCP works) there is 3ghz 970Gx, if not, then a duel core 2.5ghz 970mp. get a {censored}load of ram, and finally some fiber optic PCI cards to have an external raid array as recommended. instead of buying a new G5 get a faster G5 CPU.

but I agree with everyone here, what you really need is a couple (or maybe 4) duel core hyperthread overclocked Xeon or opterons. what i was suggesting is a stop gap measure.

FWIW, i rigged up a duel core 3.8GHz pentium D "PowerHac." Its currently used to surf the internet really fast. : ( such a horrible waste of proccessing power, But that is for another day. When I sit on G5 2.5ghz duel and when i sit on that hacked setup, it makes a world of difference, you can really tell how much faster the hacked setup is.

Shimms

Shimms

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Or even get a few xserve machines to do the processing and hook them up in xgrid formation...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy