Marvell Yukon 8001 - the driver

m.musashi

409 posts in this topic

Here's the driver I've put together to support the Marvell Yukon 88E8001.

Rules:

- please try not to trash this thread posting stupid or irrelevant comments

- don't post asking how to install the driver or edit the .plist to add your vendorid/devid (search the forum)

- don't pm me unless you want to send me a debug log

- I'll update this first message when needed with new versions of the driver, comments, etc.

To install:

open terminal

sudo -s (password)

cp -R (drag and drop the file and remove the / at the end) /System/Library/Extensions/

reboot

If it crashes, please send me the debug log:

open terminal

sudo dmesg

cut&paste the messages starting with skgeosx:

Latest Version: 0.2f BETA SNOW LEOPARD x64 drivers by RonnieD [CLICK HERE for binaries]

Versions:

- 0.2f // 15Sep09 // x64 version for SNOW LEOPARD build by RonnieD based on 0.2e sources

- 0.2e(u) // 23Nov07 // Universal Binary

- 0.2e // 17Nov07 // Intel ONLY, Leopard build, power management (sleep ok), minor bug fixes, release build

- 0.2d // 01May06 // fixed a huge bug in tx engine that caused random unreported crashes

- 0.2b // 24April06 // implemented multicast and promiscuous mode plus some bug fixes

- 0.1 // first release

FAQ:

- OSX versions: 10.4.4 minimum

- supported cards: Marvell Gigabit Ethernet (88E8001), 3Com 3C940/3C940B, D-Link DGE-530T

- possible cards: Belkin F5D5005, Linksys EG1032 (please let me know if any of these work)

- yukon2 cards (88E8021,22,35,...) are not supported; they are covered by appleyukon.kext from OSX10.4.5 onwards - no they will never be supported by this driver as the original skge was written specifically for yukon1 cards; I will not write a yukon2 driver because I don't have a yukon2 card to test on

- 3COM 3C940 / ASUS P4P800 Deluxe: edit info.plist and replace 0x432011AB with 0x170010B7 before following installation instructions

- D-Link DGE-530T: edit info.plist with 0x4C001186

- Syskonnect SK 9521 V2.0: edit info.plist with 0x43201148

My thanks to:

-Stephen Hemminger, the author of the original Linux skge driver

-planetbeing and tuxx for releasing their OSX source codes

-the betatesters: autoy, myzar, Flamaszter

-cyclonefr for the quick install instructions

-RonnieD for the snow leopard build

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Source Code (only for developers)

Please feel free to debug / add whatever you may see fit. I believe however that it would be good for all users to keep all future versions in this page. If you email them to me I'll attach them here (with your name in evidence don't worry) for everyone to download, assuming you have explained the mods and the driver still works :(. I will not support nor endorse any driver based on my source that is not present in this page. Have fun

-------------------------------------------------------------------

skge.kext.02e.zip

skge.kext.02e_U_.zip

skge_02e_source.zip

guys

updated driver

v0.2b // 24April06 // implemented multicast and promiscuous mode plus some bug fixes

I've tested both promiscuous (tcpdump) and multicast (TV over IP streaming) and works just fine.

Fixed various stuff, including a couple of potentially big bugs. By the way, now ifconfig up/down works as it should.

I've left the first release as well in case this turns out to be buggy.

bye

PS: 270 downloads and no bug reports??? come on, bring them in!

oh btw some1 checked my little install guide? , cause i think i forget to say : (maybe useless) before typying reboot

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

and then reboot

hi, many thanks for your yukon driver, Musashi.

BTW, I have a problem using the driver.

when booted, everything works fine, yukon gained DHCP address very well and had no problem for a while.

but after a few minutes(or more than 10 minutes maybe?), suddenly it lost network connection and never

came back. i tried to renew dhcp address via control panel's network preference, but no joy...

tried dmesg | grep skgeosx but no particular error messages. it just gave me positive messages (like Enabled!, link speed now 100Mbps, full duplex) and ended with "setMulticastMode on".

also i looked at console log and i found something. i don't know these are the problem, but wanna give you the messages fyi.

- WirelessAirPortDeviceNamecpy(): no AirPort driver found

- FrontRow[310]: AppleScript Communication Error= -1712 (i know this message's from frontrow, but who knows if this is relevant?)

- dyid returns 2 when trying to load /Library/Contexttual Menu Items/StuffitCM.plugin/Contents/MacOS/StuffItCM (after this, 2 more stuffit plugin related error appeared)

ok, that's it.

what else should i look at?

EDITED:

more error message appeared on console log.

I got

"WirelessAttach: getInterfaceWithName failed"

for several times.

stmkjp: the error messages you have listed are not related to the yukon driver

are you using the driver with a 88e8001 chip? i.e. have you changed the vendid/devid in the .plist?

if you haven't then I wonder what's happening, as there's no error message from the driver

can you pm me the whole skgeosx: log? it should also include a message showing the Board name (e.g. Marvell-lite)

cheers

ps: I assume you are using ver 0.2b, have you tried with version 0.1 (the driver attached without ver number)

musashi,

i'm using 88e8001 chip, and vend/dev id already in the .plist.(4320/11AB right?)

my adapter's exact model is "Marvel Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller"

which identified from windows(i'm using triple boot in my notebook, Asus W3N).

I installed 0.2b, but do you mean that 0.1 could be better for me? if so, i'll try with 0.1.

oh, another weird thing happened. i tested your driver in my office several hours ago, and now i'm home

and tested again. but I just can never connect to my access point. really weird..coz i have no problem in connecting.

difference between above 2 access point are

1) office one is fully opened with no restriction, but AP in my home validates my mac address.

2) 2 AP have different SSID.

isn't there any way to identify SSID of the AP I'm currently connecting? i wonder that i can't connect to my home AP because the driver is looking for same SSID as my office AP.

can i choose the SSID name which i want connect to?

thanks.

stmkjp: the error messages you have listed are not related to the yukon driver

are you using the driver with a 88e8001 chip? i.e. have you changed the vendid/devid in the .plist?

if you haven't then I wonder what's happening, as there's no error message from the driver

can you pm me the whole skgeosx: log? it should also include a message showing the Board name (e.g. Marvell-lite)

cheers

ps: I assume you are using ver 0.2b, have you tried with version 0.1 (the driver attached without ver number)

and tested again. but I just can never connect to my access point. really weird..coz i have no problem in connecting.

difference between above 2 access point are

1) office one is fully opened with no restriction, but AP in my home validates my mac address.

2) 2 AP have different SSID.

isn't there any way to identify SSID of the AP I'm currently connecting? i wonder that i can't connect to my home AP because the driver is looking for same SSID as my office AP.

can i choose the SSID name which i want connect to?

thanks.

AP?? this is not a wireless driver

if you're asking something outside the driver, then we are OT

regarding the ethernet driver, you should send me the complete skgeosx log or I cannot help

cheers

AP?? this is not a wireless driver

if you're asking something outside the driver, then we are OT

regarding the ethernet driver, you should send me the complete skgeosx log or I cannot help

cheers

OMG...i was out of mind a while. yes, yukon is wired adapter...I confused it with my wifi adapter.

btw, what do you mean skgeosx log? is it dmesg output ? or is there another file named skgeosx.log?

I'll send you my log in a few hour.( sorry i can't use osx right now, coz i have to work on windows... :lol: )

Works with the 3COM 3C940 found on the ASUS P4P800 Deluxe. The Id of the device should be 0x170010B7 if anyone cares. Great job musashi, I can't say I've noticed anything strange but I don't really push the network stack on the MacOS.

PS. What is your assesment of the skge driver (the linux version)? Is it buggy or missing features that the hardware can do? If you do changes to it will you submit patches for the linux version?

Thanks and keep up the great work!

PS. Why not go with source code and project repository?

Works with the 3COM 3C940 found on the ASUS P4P800 Deluxe. The Id of the device should be 0x170010B7 if anyone cares.

great thanks

dunno if linux skge has bugs; I just used the bits of code that interface with the hardware - everything else (descriptor and ring management, queues, interrupt handling, etc. are different and some are OSX specific)

for example, the UDP stalling bug I believe is actually an issue with the OSX stack

to be able to add new features I'd need the marvell yukon chip manual, but I don't have it (and even if I had it I'm not sure I'd have the time to try and test it)

as for the source, it will follow, but first I want to clean up a couple of more things