[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

MacDrive works fine for me on my dual-boot single-drive machine, as long as I don't install the newest versions of Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools that use fancy SCSI layer substitutes that seem to confuse MacDrive.

Yeah, just found out that it's actually to do with a system driver called sptd.sys. If you disable it, Macdrive should work perfectly, but the Alcohol 120% virtual device will fail to function.

alejandrops, don't worry, you shouldn't feel sad about your choice. The Core Duo stuttering will be fixed eventually with the release of a new kernel, the sound issue isn't too serious because you can just buy a really cheap USB sound device.

Thanks for the answer!

and what about wireless?

the problems so far are:

Core Duo CPU: new kernel will fix?

Ati x1400: why doesn´t work? I thought that any new ati card will work :blink:

Wireless: dont know, dont want an USB dongle!

sound: usb card :)

I think you can get an ExpressCard wireless adapter, but I have no idea which ones would be supported by the Intel Mac.

I'm not even sure if the Mac itself even recognizes the fact that there is an ExpressCard slot either (haven't personally checked), can anyone confirm this at all? I will check later in the week.

Omni's been working on ATI drivers, but to my knowledge, he never added x1400 compatability.

Zappa wanted to help out with the driver, but Omni decided not to release the sourcecode.

You could of course, phone up Dell and get your card swapped for the Nvidia GeForce 7800 Go, just tell them in a furious manner that you are unhappy with the performance. If they wont allow a swap, ask for an 'upgrade' to your gfx card instead.

Woohaa! I have 69 posts, what a special number :graduated:

OK...my first post here.....so be kind.

I just purchased (moments ago so dell hasn't even shipped it yet) a e1505. I got the x1300 (the 128 mb card). And the Sound Blaster Audigy ADVANCED HD Audio as well as the built in bluetooth.

Anything I should know about driver patches before I even attempt to put osx on it? I saw the problems with finding drivers for the x1400 but what about the 1300......

And yes I read about the sound driver problem....just wondering if anyone has an update on that.

On a side note...will the duo-core work in duo core mode with the Jas 10.4.6 install DVD?

I'm planning on a Quad boot system here :hysterical:

soundblaster wont work (but the sigmatel doesn't either). as far as i know, the x1300 doesn't work. You'll need to disable one of the cores in bios to run osx86 with the jas install. The only thing that will make the machine work with both cores (and the power managements stuff work) will be someone hacking the 8.5.1 kernel and making an install dvd strictly for core duo machines. i think dell bluetooth works.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, Dell's Bluetooth is recognized and should work perfectly.

Just a note to some users, I've been doing a little research on FireWire compatability.

The Texas Instruments FireWire chipset is generally the most compatable, especially for M-Audio modules, and it is highly recommended.

The Inspiron's Ricoh chipset on XP causes ASIO drop-outs on Cubase SX 3 which I have been unable to fix, and I even tried the KB885222-v2 SP2 patch to fix FireWire S400 speed compatability... not entirely sure if the same problem occurs with the Mac though, as I do not have the Macintosh version of Cubase SX 3.

Is the M-Audio Firewire 410 supposed to function at the full S800 speed? In that case, I have to manually copy over SP1's FireWire controller drivers.

Since the ExpressCard slot doesn't work at all(?) except on XP, there'd be no way of putting in a Texas Instruments FireWire chipset for Mac usage.

Bah, pathetic how Ricoh can't follow proper compliance :offtopic:

Just a note to some users, I've been doing a little research on FireWire compatability.

The Texas Instruments FireWire chipset is generally the most compatable, especially for M-Audio modules, and it is highly recommended.

The Inspiron's Ricoh chipset on XP causes ASIO drop-outs on Cubase SX 3 which I have been unable to fix, and I even tried the KB885222-v2 SP2 patch to fix FireWire S400 speed compatability... not entirely sure if the same problem occurs with the Mac though, as I do not have the Macintosh version of Cubase SX 3.

Is the M-Audio Firewire 410 supposed to function at the full S800 speed? In that case, I have to manually copy over SP1's FireWire controller drivers.

Since the ExpressCard slot doesn't work at all(?) except on XP, there'd be no way of putting in a Texas Instruments FireWire chipset for Mac usage.

Bah, pathetic how Ricoh can't follow proper compliance :)

Yeah i have the exact same problem with the firewire chipset and both Cubase SX3 and Nuendo 3. The whole ASIO driver seem to be buggy on this hardware. Even on virtual instrument I can't change volume on my firewire 1814 without first turning off the driver, which is very annoying.

I might be wrong but I think we are talking about 1394a (well I'm sure it's that on my FW1814) which as a constant bus speed of 400Mbit/s so there should be no S800 (?) involved. Still waiting for an update from either Dell or Ricoh, I've contacted Dell and told them I wasn't impressed.

Funny how I haven't had any problem in Logic Express under in OSX so I'm still confused :huh: .

I think if I would have to buy an express card for it to work under XP i'll sell that and buy a Macbook pro.

Maybe we should send an email to Ricoh.. although I doubt it'll change something.

hi devilhood i m planning to buy the Inspiron 9400(excatly same specs as urs except for the change tht i will go with ATI x1400 256 mb instead with nvidia) becuz macbook pro's got ATI x1600 256mb as default card. and before i buy 9400 i just want u to tell me the things i need to do and have 2 get osx 10.4.6 running perfectly on it. i know i should read the things u said above but its a bit confusing i need just 4 my hardware .

1.Which Myzar or Jas ?

2.No dual booting problem(bless Acronis)

3.Dual Core graphics shuttering fix(how 2 use just 1 core ?)

4.Is there any problem with sound ?

atlast i just want a high speed osx 10.4.6 with almost everything working (i.e sound ,QE/CI and openGl, and ilife and any software running smooth)

I shall be really thankful 2 you 4 ur help. i need help soon becuz i shall b replacing my Compaq Presario v4103 for Inspiron 9400.

hav u cheacked out this new 10.4.6 installer dvd i can't pass the TPM check since im using sse2.

here's the link :

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/346054/

OK, here is my benchmark... 80% on a Dell Inspiron 9400

I have to disable Core Duo support on my bios, because the install was going to hell. :blink:

Ati Radeon X1400 only works at 1152x864 on my 17" Dell laptop's WideScreen with Graphics Mode method on the Boot.plist, no CI/QE. But i got 1280 x 1024 on a 17" VGA Monitor..really nice. I tried the Boris method and omni's drivers without success. :P

Sigmatel Stac 92xx doesn't work, even with the 10.4.3 kext. :shock:

PowerManagment goes well with the keithpk method :D

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=14912

Bluetooth works native with an IOGear USB Dongle (it seems to have a broadcom chip)

Firewire is working and USB also.:D

OK, here is my benchmark... 80% on a Dell Inspiron 9400

I have to disable Core Duo support on my bios, because the install was going to hell. :D

Ati Radeon X1400 only works at 1152x864 on my 17" Dell laptop's WideScreen with Graphics Mode method on the Boot.plist, no CI/QE. But i got 1280 x 1024 on a 17" VGA Monitor..really nice. I tried the Boris method and omni's drivers without success. :(

Sigmatel Stac 92xx doesn't work, even with the 10.4.3 kext. :D

PowerManagment goes well with the keithpk method :D

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=14912

Bluetooth works native with an IOGear USB Dongle (it seems to have a broadcom chip)

Firewire is working and USB also.:D

I forgot, Keyboard problems after first reboot. Fixed repairing permissions.

Today i tested Build 003 (fixed), May 27, 2006 from Omni's drivers-Also i'd test the 006 build without success-...NOT LUCK,it recognizes my card and all display device configurations, but when resolution switch, kernel panic. DAMN

hi devilhood i m planning to buy the Inspiron 9400(excatly same specs as urs except for the change tht i will go with ATI x1400 256 mb instead with nvidia) becuz macbook pro's got ATI x1600 256mb as default card. and before i buy 9400 i just want u to tell me the things i need to do and have 2 get osx 10.4.6 running perfectly on it. i know i should read the things u said above but its a bit confusing i need just 4 my hardware .

1.Which Myzar or Jas ?

2.No dual booting problem(bless Acronis)

3.Dual Core graphics shuttering fix(how 2 use just 1 core ?)

4.Is there any problem with sound ?

atlast i just want a high speed osx 10.4.6 with almost everything working (i.e sound ,QE/CI and openGl, and ilife and any software running smooth)

I shall be really thankful 2 you 4 ur help. i need help soon becuz i shall b replacing my Compaq Presario v4103 for Inspiron 9400.

hav u cheacked out this new 10.4.6 installer dvd i can't pass the TPM check since im using sse2.

here's the link :

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/346054/

1. JaS baby :happymac: native SSE3 compatability with the Inspiron 9400, no need for SSE2 patch.

2. Acronis is good, but make sure you burn yourself a rescue CD incase the BOOTWIZ gets corrupted. It will let you re-install the OS selector.

3. Edit the Kernel Flags to fix stuttering like I said in the guide :)

4. All Inspiron 9400's have the Sigmatel 9200, which will not work on OSX. You will need to buy an external FireWire or USB sound device.

As far as I know, the x1400 will not be able to utilize QE/CI and OpenGL because Omni's drivers do not support the card.

JaS' disc boots with a pre-patched kernel that supports all types of computer configurations, so SSE2 shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah i have the exact same problem with the firewire chipset and both Cubase SX3 and Nuendo 3. The whole ASIO driver seem to be buggy on this hardware. Even on virtual instrument I can't change volume on my firewire 1814 without first turning off the driver, which is very annoying.

I might be wrong but I think we are talking about 1394a (well I'm sure it's that on my FW1814) which as a constant bus speed of 400Mbit/s so there should be no S800 (?) involved. Still waiting for an update from either Dell or Ricoh, I've contacted Dell and told them I wasn't impressed.

Funny how I haven't had any problem in Logic Express under in OSX so I'm still confused :) .

I think if I would have to buy an express card for it to work under XP i'll sell that and buy a Macbook pro.

Maybe we should send an email to Ricoh.. although I doubt it'll change something.

Haha, guess this kinda proves the point that the issue is entirely driver related, either on Dell's side or M-Audio's.

They haven't updated the FireWire 410 drivers in yonks as well, makes me wonder if they are actually testing the device on different chipsets to ensure full hardware compatability... might be worth e-mailing M-Audio to see what the say(?)

All in all, a bumpy ride so far with the Inspiron; very frustrating.

hi devilhood thanks for ur hlp but i think i won't be buying Inspiron 9400 anymore instead i m going for MSI MS-1034(which is the best replacement to 9400) and hav been recently reported by some1 on this forum on 25 May 2006 tht this laptop is 100% compatiable for OS X 10.4.6 using Jas 10.4.6 (or)10.4.6 spanish version with iLife suite tht is at demonoid. YES !! i mean it 100% compatiable

1.Both cores work(i duuno how but he said by native install no graphics shuttering and both core cores detected in system profile).

2.Sound works excellent(Due to int. Realtek ALC882D,Soundblaster compatiable no Stigmatel HD audio here)

small workaround 4 sound(http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=18220&hl=MS-1057)

hope i said it all becuz these 2 were the only problems for Core Duo owers.

sound fix for Stigmatel 922x is found whereas for 9200 is not. :graduated:

Both cores work without stuttering? I'll have to see it to believe it :P

Well, when you get everything up and running, it would be nice to know how well it performs for you Monstermac, make sure you post your Xbench scores :(

Just did some test with my uncle which works for the company that makes the chip inside M-audio firewire series. He had the 1814 beeing monitored with another laptop to see what the chip was doing when it buzzed. Seems that the chip is not receiving an error, and the chip itself is not the cause of the error because it was still running fine. So its really the windows OHCI driver that sends bad packets to the m-audio driver which is one layer up an then it gets stuck up in a loop. The solution would be more in microsoft's and ricoh's hands to put out a driver that fully support this chip because right now the IEEE1394 driver in XP dates back to 2001. The ricoh chip seems to have some kind of OHCI compatibility somehow because I have no problems in OSX. So I doubt I'll ever have support if I wait for microsoft... hehe Better get my cash ready for macbook pro. I'm not wasting my time on a lost cause.

I'll try out the SP1 driver and see if that helps.

Maybe this issue will be fixed with Vista :idea:

I'd get a Macbook myself, but I use XP way too much for the stuff I do.

Hi, and thanks for any help you can provide!

I'm trying to get OS X 10.4.4 or 10.4.6 installed on a Dell 1505 or a 1405 (I have both; issue is the same on both). I have what I *think* is the Jas 10.4.6 DVD, and also a 10.4.4 DVD (not Jas, but Patched).

When I try and install, I ge upto the license agreement part with no issues. Then it goes to the Select Destination option, and the area in which I which I should be able to choose a Destination Volume is completely empty.

Both notebooks have SATA hard drives only, and I've been choosing the basic install from when the DVD first boots -- I couldn't seem to find any useful options there to try and force it to load a SATA driver.

Guessing I'm missing something obvious, but I just can't figure out what!

Any ideas/suggestions/help/links would REALLY be appreciated!

Thank you,

F123456.

Well Ive got an e1505 and I've got a successful boot. I used the acOSX_10.4.6_GoatsecxDVD.iso to install OsX. I'm not sure if its using both intels....but I know that I did not consciously turn off one :-p. My OsX only boots in safe mode (-x) but other than that it works great. Im still in the process of trying to get the audio and wireless to work.

I must admit, I'm a bit more of a newbie than a lot of the people here. So I didnt quite follow all the stuff in the first post. But I did pick up some good tips. :-)

Rock On!

F123456, you must go to one of the menus and select the disk item or something like that, there you must repartition and format. After that a new drive will show in the mail menu.

Thanks -- have got it started now, at least!