ATI Radeon HD4350 PCIe

KTL

243 posts in this topic

ayaw, you're great! it works! thanks!

I tried to get this working but got kernel panic. I patched the additional ATIController4500.kext and the 10.6.2 version of ATIRadeonX2000 with 0×954f1002 and put the boot file in the root directory but it doesn't work. Would you please post exactly what you did, including which version of 10.6 you used the ATIRadeonX200 from, to get it to work.

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

I'm just curious if you have tried VGA or HDMI ports? Does it work? I'm building for a friend and this will be the perfect video card for his HTPC. His HDTV has VGA and HDMI connections so I just needed to know if it will work.

Gratz

I have a theory that this method only works when the monitor is plugged in via DVI. I know that for me and a few others I've seen, VGA has caused kernel panics. I'm about to try HDMI, I'll let you know when I get it to work.

EDIT: I attempted to boot via HDMI, but I could not get into my Chameleon bootloader (RC4). My monitor gave me a "Not compatible with this signal" error. Looks like VGA for me, since DVI is not supported by my monitor (which is actually a TV). Perhaps someone else who got this working perfectly via DVI could test via VGA and HDMI and give us some information?

I have attempted to boot into Snow Leopard via Safe Boot with the argument -x. It boots into Snow leopard and everything works, System Profiler correctly recognizes my ATI Radeon HD 4350. However I'm limited to 1024x768, with no other choices. Is there a solution to this?

In addition, I've attempted to boot into Snow Leopard with no boot arguments, just a normal boot. This resulted in a kernel panic that references the X2000 kext, as other people have reported. Bear in mind that I'm using Snow 10.6.0 (thereby Darwin 10.0), and not 10.6.2 yet, because my networking is not functioning properly in Snow Leopard. When I get that fixed, I'll be sure to update and try again with my current kext. Until then...

Could anyone suggest a way for me to modify (or find an already modified) X2000 kext, if necessary? Or could anyone point me to some instructions on how to enable other resolutions while in Safe Boot? OR, could anyone suggest any further advice for me to be able to get my Radeon HD 4350 to work?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

EDIT2: Hmm, it seems the author of this article: http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&u...pard-qe-ci.html (see post #41 above) has stated in a comment beneath the article that he's seeing reports that only DVI works... so now the question remains, is there some way for someone to make it VGA compatible? I'd rather not spend all that money just for a new monitor. Also, can anyone confirm if a DVI-VGA plug works?

EDIT3: Okay, I've managed to boot into normal OSX (no safe boot) using the modified kexts and bootloader as described in the link above. However, my only available resolution is still 1024x768, and I have no option to detect displays... I'm not really sure what that means.

Good news ! I don't know if you heard but Netkas released PC EFI 10.6 that makes the 4350 recognized by the system.

I have a Gigabyte EX58 UD5 with an i7 920, i just put the "ATI_init.kext" in the extra folder and i have all resolutions directly. Only thing missing is the AE/IC compatibility...

If someone has an idea or a suggestion, please don't hesitate to post, i got used to my fanless card, since i don't play, i don't need to go back to the noisy N'vidia ;)

TIA

Good news ! I don't know if you heard but Netkas released PC EFI 10.6 that makes the 4350 recognized by the system.

I have a Gigabyte EX58 UD5 with an i7 920, i just put the "ATI_init.kext" in the extra folder and i have all resolutions directly. Only thing missing is the AE/IC compatibility...

If someone has an idea or a suggestion, please don't hesitate to post, i got used to my fanless card, since i don't play, i don't need to go back to the noisy N'vidia :blink:

TIA

Are you using VGA or DVI, does HDMI work?

Black screen on VGA...

So nobody has an idea to get the QE/CI on this card ?

I may try with DSDT.aml, but i have no experience with it. I found almost all the infos i need, so i may edit the file.

What do you think ? Any advice or suggestion about this ?

TIA :D

Hi guys!

For the first time, my PC booted Snow Leopard at full 1680x1050 resolution via the HD4350 card! Horray!

Here's how I did it:

I installed Snow Leopard 10.6 using MyHack.

Booted using -x (safe mode) flag and USB Drive.

Installed 10.6.2 Combo Update.

**Here's the video card stuff**

I replaced the boot file in the root of the USB drive with PC EFI V10.6: (http://netkas.org/?p=372)

I modified the .com.boot.plist file to set GraphicsEnabler to 'y' (Yes.)

I added the ATY_init.kext to my /Extras/Extensions/ folder (http://netkas.org/?p=116).

I booted back up in safe mode (-x), and voila! 1680x1050 resolution (Seems like QE/CI is working, too).

**End of video card stuff**

VGA does NOT work using PC EFIV10.6, I can confirm that.

Here's where I still need some help:

I can't start up Snow Leopard without using the -x boot flag. I hang on the infamous: "Still waiting for root device" Could this be because I'm still booting off the USB Drive?

Hopefully that helps somebody! :)

Edit: Sorry, I lied. No QE/CI just yet...

Here's where I still need some help:

I can't start up Snow Leopard without using the -x boot flag. I hang on the infamous: "Still waiting for root device" Could this be because I'm still booting off the USB Drive?

To fix this you can open the com.apple.Boot.plist file on your boot volume and add this below "<key>Kernel Flags</key>":

<string>arch=i386 boot-uuid=put your uuid here</string>

You can check your uuid in disk utility by rightclicking the volume and choose "Information".

I can have it running via DVI perfectly, in Snow leopard 10.6.2, but not via HDMI or VGA.

Any possibility to run 2 monitor with HD4360 and the onboard VGA?

some update. I tried the chameleon RC4 and got VGA work perfectly, however there is no signal from DVI, neither from HDMI. If I use the modified boot from netkas, I got DVI work, but no VGA. Is there possibility to have both VGA and DVI work at the same time, so a dual display?

Thanks a lot!

BTW, I have a problem and hope someone can help me out. I have two partition of SL. I can use the Chameleon RC4, PC EFI 10.6 to boot one partition without problem, but the other partition gives kernal panic. I have to use -f option on this partition to boot. I re-generate the cache, but it doesn't help. Could someone help me with this? Thanks a lot!

----------------------

10.6.2, E5200, 4G RAM, HD4350, 640G HD

See, for a long time I've had a beautiful 1680X1050 resolution.

I'm using Chameleon RC4 and the new PCEFI 10.6 with GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

The only problem, is I cannot use the ATIRadeonX2000.kext and get a viewable screen- it goes completely pixellated and what not.

So basically, i have a nice res without QE/CI. Which doesn't do me much good, honestly. No quartz composer that way...

Horray!

QE/CI is fully working on my HD 4350 - performance is stellar!

Things I did different from last time:

1) I boot up is single user mode, that is, without safe mode.

2) I added my device ID (0×954f1002) to ATI4500Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext.

3) I placed all the 4[3-6]00 SL Patch in /System/Library/Extensions and ran pfix to fix permissions and clean up.

4) As I said, I boot in single user mode.

Note: The modified kexts were already present while I was booting in safe mode: I didn't have QE/CI in safe mode.

That's it...everything kind of worked after that. I'm not sure what did it - perhaps it was just that I was in safe mode, or perhaps it has something to do with adding my device ID to the two ATI kexts.

Edit: By the way, alav, that didn't work. The problem wasn't that it wasn't booting to the drive, it was that it wasn't booting to the right part of the drive (using the UUID). Thus, I set the flag rd=disk0s3 to boot into the 3rd partition and skip the UUID all together. That worked perfect. ;) Thanks for your help, though.

Hi guys,

New here, not new to OSX86. I am trying and failing everytime to get SL to install on my desktop PC. I have this graphics card and beleive it is what's hanging the install. I have a while back installed successfully on my dell laptop with a retail SL DVD.

I've made a USB install using Chameleon RC4 and netkas 10.6 boot file. I get to the grey spinning circle and a force reboot each time. I've since went back and tried an older boot 132 disc and same thing.

motherboard is DFI infinity 975x

CPU is c2d

4gb ram

ati 4350 gfx

I believe i may not have the correct kexts in my extensions folder, but thought with 10.6 I should at least be able to install and handle the config afterwards.... any help/advice?

install is hanging at "uptime is xxxxxxx milliseconds".

Hi all,

I've been unable to get this card working using any of the described methods. Could someone who has successfully driven the card with full QE/CI please post a completely detailed step by step set of instructions, complete with the files that they used? It would be much appreciated for all of us who still haven't figured out what we have been doing wrong.

Thanks,

DSH

Hi DTJ,

After a few days of working with this card, I finally got it mostly working. Full QE/CI. Here goes how I did it.

1. Installed fresh 10.6 (i used myHack, google it).

2. Enabled GraphicsEnabler with myHack. This can be done by modifying /extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and adding:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<String>y</string>

3. Immediately applied 10.6.2 update.

4. Download and unzip boot file from Netkas (PC EFI 10.6 booter).

sudo -s

enter your password

cd /WHERE_YOU_UNZIPPED_FILE/

cp boot /

5. download this file radeon_45x0_kexts

6. Unzip

7. Right click on ATIRadeonX2000.kext and select "show package contents"

8. Open up contents folder

9. Edit Info.plist

10. Add "0x954f1002" directly after <string> which is underneath IOPCIMatch. Save file.

11. Right click on ATI4500Controller.kext and select "show package contents"

8. Open up contents folder

9. Edit Info.plist

10. Add 0x954f1002 directly after <string> which is underneath IOPCIMatch. Save file.

11. Copy both modified kext files and the reamining kexts you unzipped to /System/Library/Extensions

That's it.... like i said, i searched and searched and after I finally got it, seems like the answer was staring me in the face. Good luck. Now, the only problem i've got is my resolution isn't quite what i want it to be.... I beleive that is my monitor though.

let me know how it goes.

Mcgrath,

thanks for your reply and detailed instructions. However, I was unable to get the card working. I'm beginning to suspect that my DSDT file is causing the problems. Otherwise, has anyone else had trouble with kernel panics originating from the ATIX2000 kext?

I followed mcgrath instructions, but haven't been able to boot. There is no kernel panic, but the boot process stops right at the moment it's supposed to switch to the desktop. I also have a DSDT because I need it for my board (Asus P5QL-E) to function properly, could that be the problem?

Other than that, my card is a XFX 4350, maybe it only works with some particular brands (Sapphire?).

I'm beginning to suspect that my DSDT file is causing the problems. Otherwise, has anyone else had trouble with kernel panics originating from the ATIX2000 kext?

I got a 4350 from a friend that bought a faster card and yup, i had the famous X2000 crashes too, until i decided to make my own DSDT.aml. For me it's the main reason people can't get this working. Use your OWN DSDT.aml, not even from someone with the same mb, make it yourself!

It's worth the trouble, i promise :( I did it via a linux live cd, but things really started running smoothly after that.

Besides that, use a retail install with Chameleon RC4 and PC EFI 10.6, Then it should load the drivers for the card.

My problem is i don't have a DVI display, the card is recognized, all 4 kexts are loaded, it just doesn't see any useful display connections. Since i'm running 10.6.2 Server which is mainly used headless i don't really mind since ARD is working fine :D

I'm just wondering what happens when i connect a DVI display. Weird thing is it says it recognizes 2 x "Display Connector:" but thats it, on my MBP i also have 2 display connectors, but the one that isn't used has a status, "Status: No display connected". So maybe nothing happens when i connect something to the DVI output....

post-6563-1267041697.png

I can confirm that it is in fact the DSDT configuration which is preventing normal functioning. I had to use a DSDT from somebody else in order to even boot Snow Leopard because I have a picky motherboard (P45-T2RS). They had enabled their own graphics card through DSDT which I had to remove. After doing this, the card is "halfway" recognized - system profiler identifies the card as a Radeon 4300 Series but believes the card has 256 VRAM. Resolution control is still disabled, along with QE/CI.

Could somebody who has the card working post their information from IORegistryExplorer? It could help a lot in building the DSDT.

Thanks everyone! I feel like we're very close to getting this card working for everyone.

DSH

Without any graphics enabler kext or in com.apple.Boot.plist the following dsdt hack, adapted from hack #13 in the DSDTSE app, seems to work for me.

Device (GFX0)
			{
				Name (_ADR, Zero)
				Name (_SUN, One)
				Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (Package (0x1E)
					{
						"@0,compatible",
						Buffer (0x0E)
						{
						   "ATY,Peregrine"
						},

"@0,deviceType",
						Buffer (0x08)
						{
						   "display"
						},

"@0,VRAM,memsize",
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x20
						},

"@0,display-connect-flags",
						Buffer (0x02)
						{
							 0x00, 0x04
						},

"@0,name",
						Buffer (0x0E)
						{
							"ATY,Peregrine"
						},

"@1,compatible",
						Buffer (0x0E)
						{
						   "ATY,Peregrine"
						},

"@1,device_type",
						Buffer (0x08)
						{
							"display"
						},

"@1,VRAM,memsize",
						Buffer (0x08)
						{
							 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x20
						},

"@1,display-connect-flags",
						Buffer (0x02)
						{
							 0x00, 0x04
						},

"@1,name",
						Buffer (0x0E)
						{
							"ATY,Peregrine"
						},

"ATY,Card#",
						Buffer (0x0E)
						{
							"109-B77101-00"
						},

"ATY,Rom#",
						Buffer (0x0F)
						{
							"113-B7710C-176"
						},

"device_type",
						Buffer (0x14)
						{
							 "ATY,PeregrineParent"
						},

"VRAM,totalsize",
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x20
						},

"model",
						Buffer (0x17)
						{
							 "ATI Radeon 4300 Series"
						}
				  }, Local0)
				  DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				  Return (Local0)
			 }

Try it and let me know :D

I should have mentioned that DVI does not work for me either. Also, for those that have this working, what resolution are you able to pull? I think my Samsung monitor will not pull the correct EDID..... huge bummer as I can not get a decent resolution without either blurry text or horizontally stretched image.