New InsanelyMac!?

123 posts in this topic

@bofors - apologies for lack of communication with the community, totally my bad but hopefully with channels of communication re-opening with Hagar we'll be able to work more closely - the more feedback we get and the sooner we get it, the quicker can tweak and hone your forum to how you guys want it.

Thank for the response, Ed.

I am glad you are working with Hagar.

David, thanks for the screenshots but that's really strange, we're seeing totally different results our end - Suhail also said that he was getting different results to us too, but I can't see why?!

picture-5.png

David, thanks for the screenshots but that's really strange, we're seeing totally different results our end - Suhail also said that he was getting different results to us too, but I can't see why?!

picture-5.png

First of all, are you guys still running on those MacMini gateways or whatever they were? Also, Daverto and I are across the pond so to speak. Locally you guys will have decent speeds, once it crosses the lake, speeds become horrendous at times. I'm on a 20/5 FiOS line, definitely should be faster.

I don't know either, I am out in Colorado on cable, but some of the stuff in Yslow should of still been an A/B, such as Gzip and CDN. This is odd. :/

Been looking around the new skin, some images:

20090205-b3i4sa7ima9me71kq6r5nten9h.jpg

20090205-djbhx3fgwm56j5q2qedhyqed2k.jpg

20090205-d9c1t4pxiy3tupcjs2ftipsjk8.jpg

These are not small issues, this affects the look of InsanelyMac.

Ok, that was not a edit, or it should not have been, I used fast reply to put those images in, and it auto-edited my post. That does not work.

As much as I dislike the new theme:

Images removed to save space in post

I dont know, I ran it again, and I still get the same D.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ get a perfect "100" on YSlow/Firebug Performance here (Cable Modem in Detroit).

^gets a perfect "100"...

Still can not edit my posts though.

WTF?! I just ran it over the forum, and it got an F. Maybe the DNS servers are slow out here, which is very possible (small town)

WTF?! I just ran it over the forum, and it got an F. Maybe the DNS servers are slow out here, which is very possible (small town)

I have the privilege of using the WideOpenWest (aka "WOW!") for an ISP here, they are top notch. The alternative, Comcast is another story.. in fact, one of their crews accidently cut the line to my parents house Monday!

@Ed,

i'll aim this at you because of your initial reply in this thread and because you strike me as someone who cares. all i'll say is this. i'm a bit concerned that the community wasn't consulted on this. i know it's a privately owned web site, but if it wasn't for the wonderful community of hack-mac users i wouldn't have been an ex-Windows user for the last twelve+ months. as it stands, i really don't feel comfortable using this website any more, and that really saddens me as i was just getting into the "pass on the knowledge" stage. all i ask is that you listen to us mere "members", and hopefully together we can find some common ground.

btw, as a brit, if you use the expression "my bad" ever again on this board, i'll hunt you down and castrate you :(

@Ed,

i'll aim this at you because of your initial reply in this thread and because you strike me as someone who cares. all i'll say is this. i'm a bit concerned that the community wasn't consulted on this. i know it's a privately owned web site, but if it wasn't for the wonderful community of hack-mac users i wouldn't have been an ex-Windows user for the last twelve+ months. as it stands, i really don't feel comfortable using this website any more, and that really saddens me as i was just getting into the "pass on the knowledge" stage. all i ask is that you listen to us mere "members", and hopefully together we can find some common ground.

btw, as a brit, if you use the expression "my bad" ever again on this board, i'll hunt you down and castrate you :(

To a limited extent, the community was consulted, firstly the beta was made public by design or accident at one stage, during which I polled 75 users and the response was overwhelmingly negative. My findings were ignored.

back @grumptink

I'm really sorry to hear you'd even consider leaving us, especially at this time when things are about to step up a gear for the InsanelyMac community - this is going to be a great chance for community members to get even more involved, we're already seeing a marked increase in interest and we're going to be looking for even more people to help out with managing the community and we're certainly gonna be busy keeping up with everyone's requests for new features and improvements.

I agree with your comment about more ample warning needed and sometimes it's a bit easy to forget when your head is so far buried in a bug tracker; I've certainly learnt my lesson!! We're working hard and fast to rapidly turnaround the tweaks and changes requested.

Hope to still see you around on the forum, and I'll watch out for that castration... :(

wow, where do i begin? I am really very frustrated right now. First of all i'm very busy with work and hackintosh is something that brings peace to my life because i can have some fun messing about with Leopard. Well now the main tool i use is useless! I don't want to list ALL of the things that aren't working right now. I would really just like to go back to how they were. I tried to post my feedback and even though i'm logged in i received the message that i need to be logged in to post :(

In these hard economic times i need something that is reliable and stealthy, not a bloated, ad laiden and blinging thing.

Sorry guys but this is a FAIL.

I appreciate how much work it must be to change a site, but why now? You don't change horses in mid stream.

To a limited extent, the community was consulted, firstly the beta was made public by design or accident at one stage, during which I polled 75 users and the response was overwhelmingly negative. My findings were ignored.

Yep, I remember this exactly.  I remember there being some sort of exposé of the "new insanelymac" a WHILE ago.  The response was, as you said, overwhelmingly negative.  Then... silence.  I finally took a breath after a while in relief that the monster hadn't been let out of its cage.

Then today.

"Oh eff, they didn't!" was all I could utter.

And I'm all for change.  Just when the change is BETTER.

Also, why would this new theme be released when it's full of bugs?  These kind of bugs are beta, pre-release-type bugs.  Not ready for a production environment at all.

A massive degree of haste was made in switching.

(Holy Lord, the more I use the site, the more I wanna scream "rape!")

thats harsh, but forums are property of the owners, not the users and mods, sometimes hard to remeber,

True, BUT when you want to buy a new car and the Brand you like don't offer you the service you want, you change your brand don't you!?

back @grumptink

I'm really sorry to hear you'd even consider leaving us, especially at this time when things are about to step up a gear for the InsanelyMac community - this is going to be a great chance for community members to get even more involved, we're already seeing a marked increase in interest and we're going to be looking for even more people to help out with managing the community and we're certainly gonna be busy keeping up with everyone's requests for new features and improvements.

I agree with your comment about more ample warning needed and sometimes it's a bit easy to forget when your head is so far buried in a bug tracker; I've certainly learnt my lesson!! We're working hard and fast to rapidly turnaround the tweaks and changes requested.

Hope to still see you around on the forum, and I'll watch out for that castration... :(

Hah, selling a website isnt the same as selling used cars Ed. "things are about to step up a gear for the community", that sounds like a line our of "selling to idiots for dummies", quit acting like you actually care for the community and accept that you are in it for the ad revenue, a redesign is basically just code for lets see where we can squeeze in more ads, oh and dont forget to make it look different so we can justify it.

off-topic: calling yourself a rudeboi immediately brings a picture of you dancing in a cage in some {censored} club to my mind.

help help 101 please some one help..... turns around to google for answers .... wait .... scrams with eyes wide shut help help

I freel lost by this post, anyone agree?

First impressions were reasonably favorable (it was only a brief glance) but now I'm having problems trying to navigate the site and enter options to try and change things........ Do I hear the clatter of keyboards as someone comes up with the "Insanely" good idea of a brand new forum dedicated to Hack/Mac?

I protested and got sacked, thanks for everything, it's been an exciting few years.. best of luck with the future, you'll need it.

Many thanks for all of your work - sad that you had to pay the price fo having an opinion.