[GUIDE] Installing Leopard on Dell Studio XPS i7

Yardie

267 posts in this topic

Does the VoodooHDA.kext produce actual, honest-to-goodness sound output?

I test only the rear and frontal earphones output, and it works correctly, but i not test the digital outputs.

Mic inputs aren't working.

I get this devices in the Sound Preferences Panel :

On the 'Output' section

Unknow (Here headphones in the rear panel working properly)

Headphones (Here headphones in the front panel working properly)

SPDIF-out (don´t test)

SPDIF-out (don´t test)

And on the 'Input' section:

Mic

Mic

SPDIF-in

Does the VoodooHDA.kext produce actual, honest-to-goodness sound output?

Success!! I have it installed alongside with Vanilla AppleHDA.kext and I have sound. I have only tested rear speakers but it's all what I need.

When I open "About this Mac" it doesn't show any integrated audio device, but if I open sound preferences it shows a lot of output and input devices.

If I remove AppleHDA (as titelio said) it doesn't work.

• 2 weeks later...

hey there.... thanks for the infos about running osx on the xps studio i7 machine. got the xps studio a while now and one of the reasons I bought it was also to run osx on it.

I still have a g4 powerbook and had my old AMD-PC also running with an osx86, but this one is gone now and replaced by the xps studio (i7 920, 6GB Tri-Channel, Radeon HD 4850, 1x 750 gb hd with vista and 1x 300 gb supposed to be osx86 hd))

I'm following this threat quite a while now and was happy to see that the 4850 was supported since the 10.5.7 beta drivers can be used. but now I got some questions, before I'd like to start :(

I'm interested to know, will it be 'easier' to get osx running properly, when 10.5.7 is finally released (probably this week) ?

how about using ‘just’ the iAtkos i5-version, is this running properly on your machines … which stuff should I handle in that case?

I need atm urgendly an osx86 running with QE to record some stuff from WoW as the 'frapsing' in the osx version is so much better. First I wanted to wait until a proper solution is there with 10.5.7, but I guess I can't wait :)

Hi All,

Sorry for not getting back here sooner...

I had a crazy busy month of April...

Where I'm at now:

I can boot into iAtkos, which is working fine.

I did have to add the graphics update and natit.kext, cos otherwise it doesn't work on mine.

Also have to boot in verbose mode, otherwise system crashes...

Anyway, I'm ready to install my retail copy of Leopard on the vanilla partition, but I'm having a small problem with the following instructions from Yardie:

"Now that your done pop in your Retail Leopard CD. From the command prompt # open Mac\ OS\ X Install\ DVD/System/Library/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg"

There is no Installation folder in the System/Library folder...

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

W

Ok, so on my (store bought) 10.5.6 copy, there is no

System/Library/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

it's

System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

Anyway, the installation froze...

It says:

"Installing Base System"

"Validating package"

can't even move the mouse around

Ok, the dsdt patcher did not only speed up boottime something incredible but also fixed the frozen OS problem :-D

I followed the entire guide, but can't boot into the leopard install.

Here's what I did:

everything in yardie's guide except for ethernet and sound

I used his kext package and the voodoo kernel.

I also replaced the system.kext twice... first time with the one in his archive and then with the one that came with voodoo kernel.

At the chameleon menu when I choose to boot into Vanilla (in verbose mode) I get a quick flash of text and the menu just pops up again...

I can't read the text, it goes too fast, but I can make out boot and plist (I did replace the com.apple.Boot.plist)

I also did these:

Copy the Voodoo mach_kernel to the root of Vanilla. Put the kexts I include into the Extensions folder.

Run the PC_EFIv9 installer to set Vanilla as the default drive.

Run the ATI 3650 Package to get special kexts for the 3650 and Natit.kext.

Put the DSDT.aml file into the root of Vanilla

Put the com.apple.Boot.plist into /Volumes/Vanilla*/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

Any thoughts?

ok, i'm officially stuck :'(

I can't boot into vanilla. With Yardie's com.apple.Boot.plist installed, all I get is a quick flash and the screen goes right back to the chameleon menu (regardless of the boot options used).

With the original com.apple.Boot.plist installed, I get a bit further when using -x or -f , but the result is an almost immediate reboot of the system.

FYI, I have the exact same setup (HD3650 256mb, 4gig ram, 500gig HD, HD audio, etc.)

Anybody?

OK, found it. mach_kernel.voodoo of course...

sorry for being such a noob ;-)

get a kernel panic on acpi now, will deal with that tomorrow.

ok, i'm officially stuck :'(

I can't boot into vanilla. With Yardie's com.apple.Boot.plist installed, all I get is a quick flash and the screen goes right back to the chameleon menu (regardless of the boot options used).

With the original com.apple.Boot.plist installed, I get a bit further when using -x or -f , but the result is an almost immediate reboot of the system.

FYI, I have the exact same setup (HD3650 256mb, 4gig ram, 500gig HD, HD audio, etc.)

Anybody?

OK, found it. mach_kernel.voodoo of course...

sorry for being such a noob ;-)

get a kernel panic on acpi now, will deal with that tomorrow.

Hi DW: Can you tell me where in the boot process it stops. ACPI error can be just about anything, bad kernel, bad DSDT.aml or AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

I tried to use the vanilla 9.6.3 kernel from a Mac Pro 2009 and I had KPs so I stuck with my voodoo kernel. After the 10.5.7 update I'll give it another try.

Hello. I installed 10.5.7 last night. I downloaded the regular update (not the combo). The install went through fine. However, when I boot, I get the generic "Waiting for root device..." message. I set up my computer using this guide, then did the update--so I'm thinking someone else may have ran into this error. Does anyone have any ideas? I left the kexts from the 10.5.7 update on there. I also tried replacing them with the ones for the 435 pack, none of those fixed it. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S.

Radeon HD 3650 Drivers:

http://www.mediafire.com/?m93juvfld2w

Wow, this thread is a gold mine. I should preface this post by saying I'm a complete newb. I bought a Dell Studio MT435 w/ 4GB and the 4850 card from Best Buy back in March and I'd like to get OSX86 up and running on it. With 10.5.7 just released, it sounds like now is the perfect time.

However, I'm having trouble with the iAtkos installation. The DVD boot takes a good 20 minutes to get past the Apple logo with the spinning wheel (the DVD drive makes strange noises the entire time). Then, I get to the screen that says "Click button to continue..." and I can't go forward. I can move the mouse pointer but I can't click on anything. Does anyone have any idea what could going on, or if not what I can do to debug? Thanks!

Hi DW: Can you tell me where in the boot process it stops. ACPI error can be just about anything, bad kernel, bad DSDT.aml or AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

I tried to use the vanilla 9.6.3 kernel from a Mac Pro 2009 and I had KPs so I stuck with my voodoo kernel. After the 10.5.7 update I'll give it another try.

Hi Yardie,

Here's a screenshot. Still trying to get past this kernel panic...

post-76079-1242323299_thumb.jpg

Hey everyone,

Have anyone had any luck with 10.5.7 on their computer? I got it working, all I needed to do was bring yardie's ACHIPort kext over. However (this is going to sound weird), OS X seems to run tooooo fast with the MACH 10.5.7 kernel. It feels 10 times smoother and responsive, hower, logic runs too fast and falls out of sync with my MIDI devices. Really strange. If you get it up and running, watch how fast the dock icons bounce when you click them. It's amazing. Any help you can offer would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

Update:

I found this, however Chameleon 2.0 RC1 doesn't work when my 435 is set to RAID mode in the BIOS:

----------

adhir

May 1 2009, 06:26 PM

QUOTE(adhir @ May 1 2009, 09:41 AM)

I have the same issue - Asus P6T, i7 920. Running pc_efi_v9, not Chameleon v2 RC1. 3 sticks of 1066 crucial RAM in triple channel. I've tried removing overclock, changing fsb value in boot flags, turning various BIOS options on/off, changing kernel from 9.7 to 9.63, all with exact same result.

SOLVED. I installed Chameleon V2 RC1 and the clock issue is gone.

Thanks all!

----------

Anyone have any idea how to get Chameleon 2.0 to work with RAID mode in the BIOS?

Hey everyone,

Have anyone had any luck with 10.5.7 on their computer? I got it working, all I needed to do was bring yardie's ACHIPort kext over. However (this is going to sound weird), OS X seems to run tooooo fast with the MACH 10.5.7 kernel. It feels 10 times smoother and responsive, hower, logic runs too fast and falls out of sync with my MIDI devices. Really strange. If you get it up and running, watch how fast the dock icons bounce when you click them. It's amazing. Any help you can offer would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

Wait so instead of using the Voodoo kernel, you went back to using the default Mach kernel? You removed all of yardie's other kexts except the ACHIport.kext?

10.5.7 Solution. If you want to use 10.5.7. You have to use Chameleon 2.0. However, currently with this computer, Chameleon 2.0 will give you a boot1: error if the computer is set to RAID mode in the BIOS. So, if you set it to ATA mode, Chameleon will work. However, the AppleATAPort kext provided here does not recognize harddrives with our mother board in ATA mode. To fix this, you need the newest ATAPortInjector.kext. Chameleon currently comes with the older one. I have to get it off the irc channel. irc.voodoooprojects.org channel #chameleon. Please ask there for the newest ATAPortInjector that works with the Dell i7 board. Good luck!

Edit: I found a link for the ATAPortInjector.kext. Put this file in the /Extra directory and in your S/L/E folder. Most likely it won't make it in the /Extra/extensions.mkext unless you fix the permissions. DON'T FORGET TO REPAIR PERMISSIONS ON S/L/E BEFORE REBOOT!

http://rapidshare.com/files/235273372/ATAP...r.kext.zip.html

Do not install correctly the "ketxs". This resolved and now works perfectly.

Thanks.

What driver you installed for the video card?

And you sound card works?

titelio seemed to have the same problem I do.

I tried both Yardie's and DD's kexts to no avail.

This is how I did it: Deleted the old kexts, copied the new ones over, deleted the mkext file and repaired permissions.

Am I missing something?

titelio, if you're reading this, how did you solve it?

thnx,

DW

10.5.7 Solution. If you want to use 10.5.7. You have to use Chameleon 2.0. However, currently with this computer, Chameleon 2.0 will give you a boot1: error if the computer is set to RAID mode in the BIOS. So, if you set it to ATA mode, Chameleon will work. However, the AppleATAPort kext provided here does not recognize harddrives with our mother board in ATA mode. To fix this, you need the newest ATAPortInjector.kext. Chameleon currently comes with the older one. I have to get it off the irc channel. irc.voodoooprojects.org channel #chameleon. Please ask there for the newest ATAPortInjector that works with the Dell i7 board. Good luck!

Edit: I found a link for the ATAPortInjector.kext. Put this file in the /Extra directory and in your S/L/E folder. Most likely it won't make it in the /Extra/extensions.mkext unless you fix the permissions. DON'T FORGET TO REPAIR PERMISSIONS ON S/L/E BEFORE REBOOT!

http://rapidshare.com/files/235273372/ATAP...r.kext.zip.html

Are you still using the voodoo kernel 9.6.5? Or somehow managed to get the native mach_kernel to work? Did you remove any other kext files? Or use the entire package from Yardie?

Some have posted in other threads that 10.5.7 includes enhancements for the Core i7 processor in its mach_kernel and new kext files. However, if we're just replacing the new kexts from the update with the old kexts from Yardie ... we wouldn't be taking advantage of any of the new enhancements.

Here's what I did to successfully install and be able to Dual Boot OS X and Windows 7 on my Dell Studio XPS i7. First I installed Windows 7 on my 500GB harddrive and after that I used "XxX x86 10.5.6 Install Disc Universal Final" and patched it with "XxX 10.5.6 Final.V2 PPF1.zip" (Use the flag "busratio=20" to start it up) I then used my other 1000GB harddrive to install OS X through there and it comes with kernel 9.6.3 which is i7 compatible! and Chameleon 2 RC which works perfect and I used the SMBIOSEFI thing and the chipset driver for ICH10. After that I used the DSDT patch, fixed my efi strings and installed the 10.5.7 update and I didn't have to change anything the update went as on a normal mac! So after that it found all my cpu cores and everything and via Chameleon I can dual boot OS X and Windows 7 ;)

PS. The XxX x86 10.5.6 Install Disc Universal Final disc is almost identical to a vanilla install as I could install the 10.5.7 update without doing anything.

Geekbench test performace has decreased in 10.5.7

I install leopard 10.5.7 in other partition and run fine, but the Geekbench test performace has decreased considerably compared to 10.5.6.

Geekbench 64bit test:

10.5.6: 8852

post-399778-1243280730_thumb.jpg

10.5.7: 6581

post-399778-1243282478_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know why?

Here's what I did to successfully install and be able to Dual Boot OS X and Windows 7 on my Dell Studio XPS i7. First I installed Windows 7 on my 500GB harddrive and after that I used "XxX x86 10.5.6 Install Disc Universal Final" and patched it with "XxX 10.5.6 Final.V2 PPF1.zip" (Use the flag "busratio=20" to start it up) I then used my other 1000GB harddrive to install OS X through there and it comes with kernel 9.6.3 which is i7 compatible! and Chameleon 2 RC which works perfect and I used the SMBIOSEFI thing and the chipset driver for ICH10. After that I used the DSDT patch, fixed my efi strings and installed the 10.5.7 update and I didn't have to change anything the update went as on a normal mac! So after that it found all my cpu cores and everything and via Chameleon I can dual boot OS X and Windows 7 :(

PS. The XxX x86 10.5.6 Install Disc Universal Final disc is almost identical to a vanilla install as I could install the 10.5.7 update without doing anything.

I duplicated this method as closely as I can tell, but received a kernel panic once the system tried to shut down for reboot. Just some anecdotal evidence at this time, in the hopes that it helps someone down the road.

Now for more troubleshooting....

edit: discovered that I had not installed the DSDT patch or "fixed my efi strings" after all. Live and learn.

I duplicated this method as closely as I can tell, but received a kernel panic once the system tried to shut down for reboot. Just some anecdotal evidence at this time, in the hopes that it helps someone down the road.

Now for more troubleshooting....

edit: discovered that I had not installed the DSDT patch or "fixed my efi strings" after all. Live and learn.

Yeah it's normal to get a kernel panic after the installation is done with that disc but it still works and you have to wait about 10min for os x so start but once you've applied the DSDT patch it's going fast :P

Are you still using the voodoo kernel 9.6.5? Or somehow managed to get the native mach_kernel to work? Did you remove any other kext files? Or use the entire package from Yardie?

Some have posted in other threads that 10.5.7 includes enhancements for the Core i7 processor in its mach_kernel and new kext files. However, if we're just replacing the new kexts from the update with the old kexts from Yardie ... we wouldn't be taking advantage of any of the new enhancements.

After doing the update, the only thing you need to do is make sure chameleon 2.0 is on your system with the newer ATAPortInjector in this thread. You can use all the kexts and the vanilla kernel that comes with the 10.5.7 update. The only problem is that Chameleon 2.0 RC1 will freak out if you have your the ICH10 set to RAID mode. So you have to set it to ATA--neither the default ATA kexts or the one yardie provides will recognize your hard drives in ATA mode. Therefore, you need the ATAPortInjector to load also. The one that comes with Chameleon 2.0 RC1 does not work with or motherboard. Therefore, you need the file on this thread. Once you put it in the directory, you MUST fix the permissions. Otherwise, it will not add the kext to the kext cache.

After doing the update, the only thing you need to do is make sure chameleon 2.0 is on your system with the newer ATAPortInjector in this thread.

The link is dead, but I was able to get it from the IRC channel. The notable difference between the ATAPortInjector.kext that is released with Chameleon 2.0 RC1 and the updated one is that the ICH10 and ICH10R chipsets, as well as ICH9, are included.

Able to boot fine with this new ATAPortInjector.kext. Just remember to rebuild your /Extra/Extensions.mkext when adding it.

I noticed that with a bare default com.apple.Boot.plist file my system would panic by the time it tried mounting the volume that OSX is on. I reverted back to the original Boot.plist file.

Hi guys, nice thread. I just got a 435mt from Dell outlet a little over $700 with an i7 940, BD, HD3650, 500g, out of the box geekbenched 8800 on Vista.

I'm ready to hackintosh this puppy.

My questions if someone is so kind to answer:

1-Is it mandatory to format GPT? Can I keep Vista on MBR? I already shrink the volume in half and I have an active HFS+ partition.

2-What would happen to vista when I switch to RAID?

3-Can I run RAID in both OS?

I've done other computers but I've never used iATKOS or 64bit and I may have other questions

Thanks