Asus P5N7A-VM

DiaboliK

1,296 posts in this topic

do you get any kernel panics?

No, it doesn't kernel panic, it just restarts without warning.

@Ayla

I think your Problem is the heat of the GPU/Chipset. So use a case fan or rip off the ASUS sign from the chipset cooler and install a little fan. That should help.

I have ripped off the Asus sign on the chipset heatsink (as recommended by Signal64). I'm using the motherboard in a horizontal position, so it traps heat.

I don't think it's the heat of the GPU, because I can provoke the crash/restart most of the times by holding the "down" button in Plex, in, so it runs trough the folder names (as described above).

Too bad, that I can't measure the GPU temp in OS X.

Which model of Gskill rame are you using. Because I was using 2x2GB Gskill NT and if i tried to run it in dual channel mode, the exact same thing you were describing happened to me. Putting it in single channel mode (ie a yellow and a black slot) made the problems go away.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using G.Skill 2 x 2GB, model: F2-6400CL4D-4GBPK

They are certified, so it's weird if they can't run in dual channel mode.

I have done as you suggested and am running them in single channel mode, now.

I will test it and see if it keeps crashing, it's very annoying! ;)

EDIT: OK, that didn't work out (!) - If I use only 1 DIMM (single channel), my system get's very very slow, I can't even sustain 24 fps in movies that normally work fine. I put in the second DIMM again (dual channel) and now my system is fast again.

But, I'm just waiting for the next crash, I'm afraid....

/Martin

Ah okay maybe, I thought that was your main problem

When restarting / starting the computer, nothing shows on the screen and I have to press the reset button several times, before it finally turns on.

Thats exactly the same problem I had with my two p5n7a mainboards and ripping off the asus sign did not solve the problem for me.

Which model of Gskill rame are you using. Because I was using 2x2GB Gskill NT and if i tried to run it in dual channel mode, the exact same thing you were describing happened to me. Putting it in single channel mode (ie a yellow and a black slot) made the problems go away.

EDIT: Also, is there anyway to use a boot-132 cd to install this? Because I'd like to attempt to use an EFI partition to load the extra kexts, and according to munky's guide it isn't really possible to do that using an existing install. Has anybody got this motherboard working using the EFI partition method?

I agree, a Boot 132 method of install would be awesome. Diabolik?

Ah okay maybe, I thought that was your main problem

Thats exactly the same problem I had with my two p5n7a mainboards and ripping off the asus sign did not solve the problem for me.

I don't have the start / restart problem anymore. It seems that the Asus board can't run CAS4, although I use certified CAS4 RAM. I stopped trying to run better timings and now the BIOS doesn't "reset".

Now it's just that bad instability / crash problem I have.

I don't have the start / restart problem anymore. It seems that the Asus board can't run CAS4, although I use certified CAS4 RAM. I stopped trying to run better timings and now the BIOS doesn't "reset".

Now it's just that bad instability / crash problem I have.

Good to know, that may satisfy my issue too as I used verified CAS4 ram too. Oh well, it was cheap and I can use it in another box.

I agree, a Boot 132 method of install would be awesome. Diabolik?

why would i make something when i dont use it?

retail install w/ 3 added kexts + bootloader + fixed dsdt = all you need to get up and running.

-D-

why would i make something when i dont use it?

retail install w/ 3 added kexts + bootloader + fixed dsdt = all you need to get up and running.

-D-

um, because it requires an existing hackintosh to get the install for this mobo working, or am i missing something? it wouldn't be a big deal if my main hackintosh rig wasn't down right now, and i'm posting this from, *shudders*, windows. so until i get my current hackintosh working again, i can't setup this asus board, or if you're suggesting you can install this without a working hackintosh, please tell us. :o

thanks!

Good to know, that may satisfy my issue too as I used verified CAS4 ram too. Oh well, it was cheap and I can use it in another box.

I've played with 3 different asus boards in the past couple of years. From my experience, it's not ASUS, it's just that intel chipsets (I guess the MCP79 is similar) really can't take CAS4 ram. From my experience, you have to go into bios, crank up the voltage manually to 2.1V+, then it might be stable. If you don't, then SPP (it let's the RAM sticks to self identify to the bios) will report 1.8V, and the bios will use this voltage, then giving you problems.

Most CAS4 also use EPP, something nvidia came up with. It's also branded as "SLI-ready memory." So they are detected correctly and work best on nForce SLI chipsets.

but this isn't an intel chipset

i now own this board too and the graphics work well (thx for dsdt), hope for some update with the analog sound for using 5.1.

i'm not able to configure a device with the midi thing, so i have line out only with the froodo hda kext. the thing with the ram really pisses me off, the first batch of ram (4x2gb) wasn't on the qvl (i've ignored the qvl all my life) and kept freezing, with only 2x2g dualchannel it wouldn't freeze an there where no errors with memtest or other tools. i gave the ram back and choose qvl ram wich has a point in categorie C. (the gskill F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ), this ram leads to freezes with 4x2gb and 2x2gb, wtf? i'm now waiting for new ram to arrive (F2-6400CL4D-4GBPK), if this doesn´t work the whole bord will go back to where it came from. for me the board is pointless with only 2 slots in use. (beside the graphics, cpu load dropped while watching .mkv)

but this isn't an intel chipset

i now own this board too and the graphics work well (thx for dsdt), hope for some update with the analog sound for using 5.1.

i'm not able to configure a device with the midi thing, so i have line out only with the froodo hda kext. the thing with the ram really pisses me off, the first batch of ram (4x2gb) wasn't on the qvl (i've ignored the qvl all my life) and kept freezing, with only 2x2g dualchannel it wouldn't freeze an there where no errors with memtest or other tools. i gave the ram back and choose qvl ram wich has a point in categorie C. (the gskill F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ), this ram leads to freezes with 4x2gb and 2x2gb, wtf? i'm now waiting for new ram to arrive (F2-6400CL4D-4GBPK), if this doesn´t work the whole bord will go back to where it came from. for me the board is pointless with only 2 slots in use. (beside the graphics, cpu load dropped while watching .mkv)

I have the CAS4 2x2 GB PC6400 G.SKILL RAM from the Asus QVL.

They can't run CAS4 (!) - just so you know.

I haven't tried to up the RAM voltage to 2.1 though, is it safe?

The G.SKILL Web site states that they should run at 1.8 - 1.9 voltage (and they are very hot to touch already!).

I also have a lot of freezes, but I can't be sure it's the RAM that's causing them... When I prime test the RAM the system doesn't freeze, so it's hard to make a qualified guess I think.

/Martin

I have the CAS4 2x2 GB PC6400 G.SKILL RAM from the Asus QVL.

They can't run CAS4 (!) - just so you know.

I haven't tried to up the RAM voltage to 2.1 though, is it safe?

The G.SKILL Web site states that they should run at 1.8 - 1.9 voltage (and they are very hot to touch already!).

I also have a lot of freezes, but I can't be sure it's the RAM that's causing them... When I prime test the RAM the system doesn't freeze, so it's hard to make a qualified guess I think.

/Martin

run memtest. Also plug in an external PCI-E adapter, go into bios, turn off the integrated adaptor to release the framebuffer so you have access to all 4G. Then run memtest to test all of it.

Hi,

I installed unibody restore and 10.5.6 retail, put dsdt.aml and chameleonsm in root.

installed audio and decrypter kexts. Edited apple.com.boot.plist and leave everything else vanila.

Used both installs with and without voodoo kernel.

The board won't sleep or shutdown.

Tried some usb settings in bios that doesn't helped.

Does someone know how to fix it?

I finally got my system up and its work great! Thanks everyone for the help thats been passed down so far.

I have a 1 slight problem that I'm trying to work out. My system only boots iF supply the -f flag at the darwin prompt. Booting with -v isn't giving me any helpful output. The system just sits there. Anyone know what I can look at or remove to fix this issue?

Thanks.

just confirmed 8gb works no issues with all ram slots full

and overclocked my q6600 to 3.15 GHz

tried to go higher but it wouldn't boot, or wasnt stable

Hi

I have a similar cpu, the q6600, could you give a hint of how to edit the dsdt.dsl to quad core or post your dsdt.aml ?

would be a great help :(

Well I got everything working nicely on my HTPC hack after 2 days of frustration. Whoever decided to put that awful heatsink of the IGP should be shot because I was having all sorts of issue until I replaced put a nice thermaltake heatsink on the chipset. **BEWARE** do NOT update to the newest BIOS because OSX will not boot with or without the fixed DSDT. Has anyone gotten sleep to work? I tried vanilla and voodoo kernel and sleep didn't work on either. I'm sticking with vanilla now because netflix wouldn't work with voodoo no matter what I tried. Great work Diabolik!

My system is close to being perfekt now. Its all running - only thing thats not working so far is shutting down, but that might start working after some restarts.

Thanks to all you, im so happy with my new "iHack" system. Now i only need to find out how to make a dualboot, so i can run win xp for rendering in 3DS

try deleting Disabler.kext and see if that solves your sleep/shutdown problem

and dual boot is very easy

if you use two hard drives, just install windows on the other one

when you want to use windows, just choose to boot with that drive instead