EasyBCD 2.0 Beta: Automated PC_EFI, CHAIN0 Installation

Computer Guru

173 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I've been working on EasyBCD 2.0 with a number of enhancements to the OS X dual-booting process for a while now, and I think it's really close to finished now...

EasyBCD 2.0 features automated dual-booting between OS X, Windows 7/Vista/XP, and Linux.... and in this build has 100% one-click installation of pc_efi and chain0 OS X loaders.

Basically, with EasyBCD 2.0 you shouldn't need to touch startupfiletool or your bootsector/mbr/volume header/superblock; and you won't need access to OS X or Linux... just run the dual-boot wizard from Windows and your OS X installation should be up and running thereafter.

I need some help testing everything and making sure everything is sea-worthy... anyone willing to lend a helping hand please reply to this thread...

Beta download: EasyBCD 2.0

UPDATE:

No longer a closed beta. Cheers!

Wow that sounds awesome. It'd be great to tie in some prefpane apps like Apple has for Boot Camp too...simple selector type of thing.

You might want to check with the Chameleon developers now that they've broken the 64K barrier and are teaming up with the Voodoo devs, make sure they're not integrating similar functionality as well. Or maybe just team up with them and add it in! :D

@pcwiz: pc_efi v9, as of build 40.

@weaksauce12: Currently the frontend is Windows-only, we're trying to add a prefpane for OS X but there are some obstacles (namely required NTFS read/write access).

What do you guys think? Is it OK to require macfuse w/ NTFS writing enabled for such a utility? That's the price to pay for in-Windows installation of pc_efi........

@weaksauce12: Currently the frontend is Windows-only, we're trying to add a prefpane for OS X but there are some obstacles (namely required NTFS read/write access).

What do you guys think? Is it OK to require macfuse w/ NTFS writing enabled for such a utility? That's the price to pay for in-Windows installation of pc_efi........

That would be fine, after all its the only way to do it :D

..BCD name sounds like the Vista Bootloader.

Does it work with XP also and MBR Partition type ? (GUID didnt work for me).

I am currently using EasyBCD 1.7.2 to triple boot Vista64, Ubuntu 8.10 and OS X 10.5.5 on separate HDDs.......my OS X HDD volumes are set as MBR and Mac OS Extended (Journaled)....... :D

EasyBCD 2.0 has dual-support for MBR and GUID volumes.

MBR is supported via both CHAIN0 and PC_EFI v9 (which no longer requires GUID, and will fallback to MBR/APM if necessary); and EFI support via PC_EFI v9.

I contemplated between PC_EFI v9 and Chameleon 1.0.12 for a while before going with PC_EFI v9 - though now that they're both using the Chameleon codebase its not really much of an issue either way; basically I'm just going with the newest release on either side.

@mitch: While EasyBCD does require the use of the Vista BCD bootloader, that doesn't mean you need Vista installed.

You can follow the instructions at http://neosmart.net/blog/2007/how-to-insta...ows-xp-machine/ to install BCD on Windows XP.

Interesting. I'd be willing to test, as I really need to get OSX (GUID) and Vista running on the same hard drive and being able to do it without jumping through hoops would be pretty awesome. I assume it would work fine with a vanilla kernel and weaksauces ga-p35 guide?

@mitch: While EasyBCD does require the use of the Vista BCD bootloader, that doesn't mean you need Vista installed.

You can follow the instructions at http://neosmart.net/blog/2007/how-to-insta...ows-xp-machine/ to install BCD on Windows XP.

Thanks !!!!

So i need to do that instruktions (your link) ?

Can your tool that thing for XP Users not do or is it possible you include an "Put BCD on XP System" in the Tool ?

I think > 60% of OSX86 Users use XP, not Vista.

I've decided to put the extra effort and package it up for a beta release, here's the build:

<Link in first post>

@fabriciom: Yep. Sounds about right.

@Vis: It works fine with a vanilla kernel, but I haven't seen weaksauce's ga-p35 guide...

Edited by Computer Guru

Hi Everyone,

I've been working on EasyBCD 2.0 with a number of enhancements to the OS X dual-booting process for a while now, and I think it's really close to finished now...

EasyBCD 2.0 features automated dual-booting between OS X, Windows 7/Vista/XP, and Linux.... and in this build has 100% one-click installation of pc_efi and chain0 OS X loaders.

Basically, with EasyBCD 2.0 you shouldn't need to touch startupfiletool or your bootsector/mbr/volume header/superblock; and you won't need access to OS X or Linux... just run the dual-boot wizard from Windows and your OS X installation should be up and running thereafter.

I need some help testing everything and making sure everything is sea-worthy... anyone willing to lend a helping hand please reply to this thread...

Beta download: ftp://neosmart.ath.cx/EasyBCD/EasyBCD%20Build%2040.exe

UPDATE:

No longer a closed beta. Cheers!

Just tried your beta, for me just the same as with 1.7.2

What I like is to have a triple boot with 3 drives.

Vista

OSX 10.5.5

OSX 10.5.6

Now its only possible to dual boot one OSX drive with Vista.

Also can not find the dual boot wizard yet in windows.

Make sure to remove the entry created with the old version of EasyBCD first.

When adding a new entry with EasyBCD, keep the default "Mode: EFI" option set... then add the new entry. Upon selecting the entry at reboot, you will have the option of keying in the drive to boot from (verses booting from the default drive) since pc_efi v9 lets you pick what drive to boot OS X from.

MBR is supported via both CHAIN0 and PC_EFI v9 (which no longer requires GUID, and will fallback to MBR/APM if necessary); and EFI support via PC_EFI v9.

I contemplated between PC_EFI v9 and Chameleon 1.0.12 for a while before going with PC_EFI v9 - though now that they're both using the Chameleon codebase its not really much of an issue either way; basically I'm just going with the newest release on either side.

Long time ago (but in this year) I wrote a little guide and attach the files for those who doesn't have Vista machine or any Vista disk. Here is the link: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=577095

I will try the new EasyBCD with PC-EFI9, I actually doing 2 step boots (XP bootloader loads syslinux then it loads DFE Boot132 and finally Chameleon with PC-EFI9) since chain0 does not sees GUID drives and XP bootloader does not like PC-EFI bootloaders in the boot.ini

Long time ago (but in this year) I wrote a little guide and attach the files for those who doesn't have Vista machine or any Vista disk. Here is the link: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=577095

I will try the new EasyBCD with PC-EFI9, I actually doing 2 step boots (XP bootloader loads syslinux then it loads DFE Boot132 and finally Chameleon with PC-EFI9) since chain0 does not sees GUID drives and XP bootloader does not like PC-EFI bootloaders in the boot.ini

If you could make a guide on "XP bootloader loads syslinux then it loads DFE Boot132 and finally Chameleon with PC-EFI9" then you shall be the Queen of Sheeba.

This is an awesome idea. I never thought of this nor do I know even where to start in getting this working.

I'm stumped, but I'm pretty sure it's my lack of knowledge. How can I get osx and vista to co-exist on the same partitioned hard drive when OSX requires GUID and Vista doesn't recognize a GUID partition? I've got OSX installed, want to install Vista and use EasyBCD to set them up them up to boot. I'm sure it's me missing something here....

I'm stumped, but I'm pretty sure it's my lack of knowledge. How can I get osx and vista to co-exist on the same partitioned hard drive when OSX requires GUID and Vista doesn't recognize a GUID partition? I've got OSX installed, want to install Vista and use EasyBCD to set them up them up to boot. I'm sure it's me missing something here....

Make the partition you want to install vista to active

If you could make a guide on "XP bootloader loads syslinux then it loads DFE Boot132 and finally Chameleon with PC-EFI9" then you shall be the Queen of Sheeba.

This is an awesome idea. I never thought of this nor do I know even where to start in getting this working.

Well a syslinux boot is easy because you only add an entry to the boot.ini

here is an example:

[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /USEPMTIMER
C:\syslinux="Mac OS X with Boot-132"

Of course you need to copy the first 512 bytes of the partition that hold syslinux to your boot drive.

that could be done with:

dd if=/dev/rdiskXsY of=syslinux bs=512 count=1

Vis: Vista cannot be installed on a GUID partition normally - though Vista x64 technically has EFI/GUID support.

The best way of doing it is installing Vista first to an MBR disk keeping one partition free. Afterwards use any OS X distro installation disc to put OS X on the second partition *of the MBR disk* and use EasyBCD thereafter to facilitate the dual-boot.

I don't know if the IM community has developed a way to install Vista on a GUID disk.