Computer Guru

Computer Guru

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Coding, Hacking, Cracking
Hi Everyone,

I've been working on EasyBCD 2.0 with a number of enhancements to the OS X dual-booting process for a while now, and I think it's really close to finished now...

EasyBCD 2.0 features automated dual-booting between OS X, Windows 7/Vista/XP, and Linux.... and in this build has 100% one-click installation of pc_efi and chain0 OS X loaders.

Basically, with EasyBCD 2.0 you shouldn't need to touch startupfiletool or your bootsector/mbr/volume header/superblock; and you won't need access to OS X or Linux... just run the dual-boot wizard from Windows and your OS X installation should be up and running thereafter.

I need some help testing everything and making sure everything is sea-worthy... anyone willing to lend a helping hand please reply to this thread...

Beta download: EasyBCD 2.0

UPDATE:
No longer a closed beta. Cheers!

~pcwiz

~pcwiz

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Retired
  • 5,900 posts
Is that PC_EFI support for v8 or v9?

weaksauce12

weaksauce12

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
Wow that sounds awesome. It'd be great to tie in some prefpane apps like Apple has for Boot Camp too...simple selector type of thing.

You might want to check with the Chameleon developers now that they've broken the 64K barrier and are teaming up with the Voodoo devs, make sure they're not integrating similar functionality as well. Or maybe just team up with them and add it in! :D

Computer Guru

Computer Guru

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
@pcwiz: pc_efi v9, as of build 40.

@weaksauce12: Currently the frontend is Windows-only, we're trying to add a prefpane for OS X but there are some obstacles (namely required NTFS read/write access).

What do you guys think? Is it OK to require macfuse w/ NTFS writing enabled for such a utility? That's the price to pay for in-Windows installation of pc_efi........

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,884 posts
..BCD name sounds like the Vista Bootloader.
Does it work with XP also and MBR Partition type ? (GUID didnt work for me).

~pcwiz

~pcwiz

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Retired
  • 5,900 posts

@weaksauce12: Currently the frontend is Windows-only, we're trying to add a prefpane for OS X but there are some obstacles (namely required NTFS read/write access).

What do you guys think? Is it OK to require macfuse w/ NTFS writing enabled for such a utility? That's the price to pay for in-Windows installation of pc_efi........

That would be fine, after all its the only way to do it :D

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,557 posts
  • Interests:At home, I have the following computers......
    >
    >
    >

..BCD name sounds like the Vista Bootloader.
Does it work with XP also and MBR Partition type ? (GUID didnt work for me).

I am currently using EasyBCD 1.7.2 to triple boot Vista64, Ubuntu 8.10 and OS X 10.5.5 on separate HDDs.......my OS X HDD volumes are set as MBR and Mac OS Extended (Journaled)....... :D

Computer Guru

Computer Guru

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
EasyBCD 2.0 has dual-support for MBR and GUID volumes.

MBR is supported via both CHAIN0 and PC_EFI v9 (which no longer requires GUID, and will fallback to MBR/APM if necessary); and EFI support via PC_EFI v9.

I contemplated between PC_EFI v9 and Chameleon 1.0.12 for a while before going with PC_EFI v9 - though now that they're both using the Chameleon codebase its not really much of an issue either way; basically I'm just going with the newest release on either side.

@mitch: While EasyBCD does require the use of the Vista BCD bootloader, that doesn't mean you need Vista installed.

You can follow the instructions at http://neosmart.net/...ows-xp-machine/ to install BCD on Windows XP.

Nick14

Nick14

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
SuperB app

pauℓzurrr.

pauℓzurrr.

Paul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
If you want i can test some things for you?
Dual booting vista32 and leopard 10.5.6 now using the latest EasyBCD.
Using GUID for hdd...

Cris900

Cris900

iDeneb Team Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts
If you would i can test it!
Good work...

thanks

rhyguy

rhyguy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
I'm running pc_efi v9, 2 Leopard Partions in HFS+ (Journaled) and Vista Ultimate (32bit)
on a GPT and i'd love to test it out

i use macfuse + ntfs-3g on osx, and paragon HFS on Vista

fabriciom

fabriciom

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
So how does this work? I install it on my windows partition on set that hdd to be the fist one to boot from? I have osx installed on a GUID partition not MBR.

Vis

Vis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Interesting. I'd be willing to test, as I really need to get OSX (GUID) and Vista running on the same hard drive and being able to do it without jumping through hoops would be pretty awesome. I assume it would work fine with a vanilla kernel and weaksauces ga-p35 guide?

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,884 posts

@mitch: While EasyBCD does require the use of the Vista BCD bootloader, that doesn't mean you need Vista installed.

You can follow the instructions at http://neosmart.net/...ows-xp-machine/ to install BCD on Windows XP.

Thanks !!!!
So i need to do that instruktions (your link) ?
Can your tool that thing for XP Users not do or is it possible you include an "Put BCD on XP System" in the Tool ?
I think > 60% of OSX86 Users use XP, not Vista.

Computer Guru

Computer Guru

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I've decided to put the extra effort and package it up for a beta release, here's the build:

<Link in first post>

@fabriciom: Yep. Sounds about right.

@Vis: It works fine with a vanilla kernel, but I haven't seen weaksauce's ga-p35 guide...

Edited by Computer Guru, 25 December 2008 - 11:54 PM.

Why Me

Why Me

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Hi Everyone,

I've been working on EasyBCD 2.0 with a number of enhancements to the OS X dual-booting process for a while now, and I think it's really close to finished now...

EasyBCD 2.0 features automated dual-booting between OS X, Windows 7/Vista/XP, and Linux.... and in this build has 100% one-click installation of pc_efi and chain0 OS X loaders.

Basically, with EasyBCD 2.0 you shouldn't need to touch startupfiletool or your bootsector/mbr/volume header/superblock; and you won't need access to OS X or Linux... just run the dual-boot wizard from Windows and your OS X installation should be up and running thereafter.

I need some help testing everything and making sure everything is sea-worthy... anyone willing to lend a helping hand please reply to this thread...

Beta download: ftp://neosmart.ath.cx/EasyBCD/EasyBCD%20Build%2040.exe

UPDATE:
No longer a closed beta. Cheers!

Just tried your beta, for me just the same as with 1.7.2

What I like is to have a triple boot with 3 drives.
Vista
OSX 10.5.5
OSX 10.5.6

Now its only possible to dual boot one OSX drive with Vista.

Also can not find the dual boot wizard yet in windows.

Computer Guru

Computer Guru

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Make sure to remove the entry created with the old version of EasyBCD first.

When adding a new entry with EasyBCD, keep the default "Mode: EFI" option set... then add the new entry. Upon selecting the entry at reboot, you will have the option of keying in the drive to boot from (verses booting from the default drive) since pc_efi v9 lets you pick what drive to boot OS X from.

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,612 posts
  • Interests:Techie gadgets

MBR is supported via both CHAIN0 and PC_EFI v9 (which no longer requires GUID, and will fallback to MBR/APM if necessary); and EFI support via PC_EFI v9.

I contemplated between PC_EFI v9 and Chameleon 1.0.12 for a while before going with PC_EFI v9 - though now that they're both using the Chameleon codebase its not really much of an issue either way; basically I'm just going with the newest release on either side.

Long time ago (but in this year) I wrote a little guide and attach the files for those who doesn't have Vista machine or any Vista disk. Here is the link: http://forum.insanel...&...st&p=577095

I will try the new EasyBCD with PC-EFI9, I actually doing 2 step boots (XP bootloader loads syslinux then it loads DFE Boot132 and finally Chameleon with PC-EFI9) since chain0 does not sees GUID drives and XP bootloader does not like PC-EFI bootloaders in the boot.ini

mattrb

mattrb

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Long time ago (but in this year) I wrote a little guide and attach the files for those who doesn't have Vista machine or any Vista disk. Here is the link: http://forum.insanel...&...st&p=577095

I will try the new EasyBCD with PC-EFI9, I actually doing 2 step boots (XP bootloader loads syslinux then it loads DFE Boot132 and finally Chameleon with PC-EFI9) since chain0 does not sees GUID drives and XP bootloader does not like PC-EFI bootloaders in the boot.ini

If you could make a guide on "XP bootloader loads syslinux then it loads DFE Boot132 and finally Chameleon with PC-EFI9" then you shall be the Queen of Sheeba.

This is an awesome idea. I never thought of this nor do I know even where to start in getting this working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy