The NVIDIA 9500GT Thread

Mrx33

454 posts in this topic

I'm not sure why all this is necessary.

The 9500GT is nothing but a rebranded 8600GT. I used EFIStudio, told it my GPU was an 8600GT and everything came up working like a champ. QE/CI works dandy (enabled with OSX86Tools). It recognized my Dell 2405FPW display, all the graphics modes work, etc.

He was right. It works for me sucessfully full QE. I use a Zotac 512MB DDR2 9500 GT.

Also, Gigabyte EX58 Extreme w/ I7 920. Must use maxmem=3500 to work reliably.

9500gt and 8600gt are not the same, seems to be similar, but core gpu is different, and that's enough, read this:

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/198/NVIDIA_8600_GT.html G84

http://my.ocworkbench.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=434338 G96

Mmh maybe it's right, even if the card in about my mac is wrong.

I'd like to point another thing, it would be nice understanding how can I see driver working in "OpenGL Driver Monitor" app, I can see a GeForce8xxxGLDriver enabled but I've got no feedback on graph and table.

Dear all:

following the instructions in post no 1, everything went fine so far, except for the step where you "Apply changes to com.appl.Boot.plist" in OSx86tools. Whenever I click on that button, I receive "No such file or directory" as a response. Indeed, I cannot find a com.appl.Boot.plist in finder. My guess would be that I need to install some kind of boot loader like chameloen in order to have a com.appl.Boot.plist. Is that correct? Or do you have any other hint why this step won't work?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Someone PLEASE explain to me how the heck I'm supposed to ctreate a bootable cd with nvfllash and NERO

I selected bootCD but what files are needed on the CD?

I can in no way get the motherboard to boot from a usb key! I need to make a cd but I dont understand how...

Frustrated as I spent some 5 hrs trying to figure this out....

BLEH!

I think you should boot your USB key inserting this before reboot, then enter BIOS settings, go in the BIOS boot menu, and choose a right boot order, placing in first position your USB key.

NVCAP code wasn't a difficult stuff for me, but if you can't figure out, you should try with madcandleman procedure.

Forget NVCAP code, when you follow the post #1 guide, instead of setting a custom graphic card, you set a 8600gt with your right memory size, and it would start.

I'm not sure what does it change... I made an xbench with efi set to 8600gt and seems to be lower then in 9500gt, but xbench is not reliable, so you should try this.

Thanks but unfortunately no go for me...

But Why I wonder... WHY is nothing changing?

I tried using the 8600gt in both efi studio and osx tools rebooting with -f no change, still just the default resolution and no way to change it in the displays page.

Ive run repair permissions etc from osx tools as well just to make sure.

Now I'll have to figure out how to open the efi bootlist file to see if it has or hasnot changed...

Anyone know how to edit the file from the terminal, yes i can search for it but getting it directly is faster...

UPDATE:

OK I mounted the efi and opened the com.apple.boot.plist file

It just contained the basic info about busratio etc, no grfx info.

I thought, what the heck I'll just add it from osx tools manually.

But when trying to change it says that I dont have the privilidges to do so...

This might be the issue all along right?

Any other suggestions than re format the efi partition and starting fresh again.

Any way to mount the efi partition in osx so that I can change the rights there?

Or can I set rights in the terminal?

UPDATE 2:

The one who dare dies...

And so I did...

I changed the default com.apple.boot.plist file in the install efi folder. Not to bright eh?

Now I cant boot anymore, or rather I cant see anything...

Back to bootup kalyway and delete the efi partition again...

Still at square one... BUGGER!

reformatted the EFI partition with OSXTOOLS verified it was empty in terminal, rebooted w boot cd

installed EFI Boot installer v3.1 again (I might be able to use chamelion eventually but as this is the recommended way for my x58 motherboard I'll try and stick with it a little further.

Any more good ideas while I keep talking to myself in here?

FINAL POST for now...

YAY!!!:)

Multi res working

I used a 8600 hex from osxtools and copied the com.apple.boot.plist file to another volume where I could edit it, removed the original file in the EFI partition and copied the edited version back to the EFI partition.

Now it all seems to work (at least at first boot...)

I'll leave it here until I figure out if it's worth making a "proper 9500GT" efi string

hello everyone,

just wanted to say thanks. Finally I got my gainward 9500 GT / 1G working (everything with full hardware support)

I had the same id as marionez and since i could not figure out how to obtain the NVCAP string i used his and finally all ist working just great.

So thanks to all who made this working

hello everyone,

just wanted to say thanks. Finally I got my gainward 9500 GT / 1G working (everything with full hardware support)

I had the same id as marionez and since i could not figure out how to obtain the NVCAP string i used his and finally all ist working just great.

So thanks to all who made this working

Sorry man, I have the same card but can't succeed to got it working.

Can I ask you what you exactly did and wich distro are you using?

Thanks a lot :P

Thanks a lot ;)

Labiri, I have the best results with iPC OSx86 10.5.6, you have to do this:

First you have to do:

- Remove from /System/Library/Extension every nvidia injector you could have installed, if you've never installed one you're clean and ready to go.

- Put OSX86Tools to your desktop.

How to get QE/CI enabled on XFX GeForce 9500 GT, let's start:

- Install Nvidia 2009 modded drivers for 9500 GT with kexthelper (install kexts from Archive.zip, see the first page), do not reboot

- Clean everything with OSX86Tools check all the options on main panel and run permission repair and clear extension kext

- Again on OSX86Tools 

- Click on the button add efi string

- Click on gfx strings

- Choose custom geforce (you need to scroll the list is the last one)

- Enter your video card name "nVidia GeForce 9500 GT"

- Enter your video card memory size "1024MB (1GB)"

- NOW choosing your display configuration, choose custom

- Enter NVCAP: "0400000000000300040000000000000700000000"

- Import String to Boot Editor

- Write com.apple.Boot.plist

- Reboot with -x -v -f

- Shutdown and boot

- You can enable even Quartz GL from the main panel of OSX86Tools “Enable/Disable Quartz GL”

I have a problem, I got everything working (XFX GeForce 9500 GT 512MB) but If i go to sleep and go

back to my desktop then my mouse don't respond after a couple of seconds. Only if I restart my computer

then the problem is gone. My question is if you guys have the same problem with the GeForce 9500 GT? Or am I the only one with this problem?

I hope you guys can give me an answer.

I do not know why but I just can't get it done. After I had killed my system in previous attempts, I just reinstalled iPC 10.5.6. with chameleon+DSDT. I have a Gainward 9500 GT 512 MB silent with DVI+HDMI+VGA out.

I exactly followed the instructions in post 1. Got my cards rom and NVCAP maker 1.4 tells me my NVCAP is 0400000000000300040000000000. Installed the kexts from post #33 with kexthelper. I then followed all steps in OSX86TOOLS, inserted the string into com.apple.Boot.plist and got no errors this time. Reboot -x -v -f and another reboot and voilà:

atm.tiff (click to see my "About this Mac" results)

No CI... No QE...

What the heck might cause the problem here? Could it be that I have to manipulate Chameleon so that it actually makes use of the inserted EFI string? I do not even know how to change settings in Chameleon since I have never seen chameleon. AFAIK it should give me options at boot time (like booting from another partition), but when I boot I do not see any hint of Chameleon despite having choosen Chameleon+DSDT as alternate bootloader in iPC's OSX installer.

EDIT: I just (re)installed the chameleon 1.0.11 installer package but still nothing.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

i have a gainward nvidia 9500gt 1gb with hdmi/dvi/vga outputs.

If i install the 1.2.5 and the 9000 video drivers then enable qe/ci in osx tools i get them working but only vga out works.

changing resolution blues the screen needing a safe mode reboot and reverting back to the old resolution and rebooting.

the card shows up as nvidia 512mb doing it this way.

Morpheus can you upload NVDARESMAN.kext and your 1024MB kext so i can replace mine and see if it works.

I can't get my device id from the attached tools as win7 doesn't seem to like it.

i think from looking in device manager though that it is th x0640x id

cheers

paul

Thanks a lot :)

hello Labiri,

i did it as SharkyNL discreibed. But i did not install any other specific driver because with 10.5.6 they are already there (i think).

After cleaning everything with osx tools I made sure my device ID is corret in the two kext files.

With osx tools added the right efi string. (as i mentioned used the one from marionez). and all was working.

I have the same issue with the mouse after sleep mode, so.

Labiri, I have the best results with iPC OSx86 10.5.6, you have to do this:

First you have to do:

- Remove from /System/Library/Extension every nvidia injector you could have installed, if you've never installed one you're clean and ready to go.

- Put OSX86Tools to your desktop.

How to get QE/CI enabled on XFX GeForce 9500 GT, let's start:

- Install Nvidia 2009 modded drivers for 9500 GT with kexthelper (install kexts from Archive.zip, see the first page), do not reboot

- Clean everything with OSX86Tools check all the options on main panel and run permission repair and clear extension kext

- Again on OSX86Tools 

- Click on the button add efi string

- Click on gfx strings

- Choose custom geforce (you need to scroll the list is the last one)

- Enter your video card name "nVidia GeForce 9500 GT"

- Enter your video card memory size "1024MB (1GB)"

- NOW choosing your display configuration, choose custom

- Enter NVCAP: "0400000000000300040000000000000700000000"

- Import String to Boot Editor

- Write com.apple.Boot.plist

- Reboot with -x -v -f

- Shutdown and boot

- You can enable even Quartz GL from the main panel of OSX86Tools "Enable/Disable Quartz GL"

Installed iPC 10.5.6, followed all the steps accurately...result is: black screen.

What the hell?! :)

i have a gainward nvidia 9500gt 1gb with hdmi/dvi/vga outputs.

If i install the 1.2.5 and the 9000 video drivers then enable qe/ci in osx tools i get them working but only vga out works.

changing resolution blues the screen needing a safe mode reboot and reverting back to the old resolution and rebooting.

the card shows up as nvidia 512mb doing it this way.

Morpheus can you upload NVDARESMAN.kext and your 1024MB kext so i can replace mine and see if it works.

I can't get my device id from the attached tools as win7 doesn't seem to like it.

i think from looking in device manager though that it is th x0640x id

cheers

paul

well ignore my last post i just installed the 1024mb kext from page 3 and enabled qe in osxtools and all sorted except unknown device id.

will test the hdmi and dvi outs later

I do not know why but I just can't get it done. After I had killed my system in previous attempts, I just reinstalled iPC 10.5.6. with chameleon+DSDT. I have a Gainward 9500 GT 512 MB silent with DVI+HDMI+VGA out.

I exactly followed the instructions in post 1. Got my cards rom and NVCAP maker 1.4 tells me my NVCAP is 0400000000000300040000000000. Installed the kexts from post #33 with kexthelper. I then followed all steps in OSX86TOOLS, inserted the string into com.apple.Boot.plist and got no errors this time. Reboot -x -v -f and another reboot and voilà:

atm.tiff (click to see my "About this Mac" results)

No CI... No QE...

What the heck might cause the problem here? Could it be that I have to manipulate Chameleon so that it actually makes use of the inserted EFI string? I do not even know how to change settings in Chameleon since I have never seen chameleon. AFAIK it should give me options at boot time (like booting from another partition), but when I boot I do not see any hint of Chameleon despite having choosen Chameleon+DSDT as alternate bootloader in iPC's OSX installer.

EDIT: I just (re)installed the chameleon 1.0.11 installer package but still nothing.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Now I have it running CI/QE enabled. I used aquamac's kexts from the "Series 9xxx driver" threat without any mods and it works (in combination with the EFI string method from this threat).

Hey,

I have a nvidia 9500 GT 1GB and am unable to get into the installation itself.

I try -v and get some text which vanishes quickly and restarts.

Using Kalyway 10.5.2 and cant even get into the installation.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

PS: Dont know much about booting into the install, so any help is much appreciated.

Hello,

Here's a more detailed description.

I have Kalyway 10.5.2, iAtkos 10.5.2 and iAtkos 10.5.5.

I would like to not have to download another version if possible....

So, I put in the iAtkos disks, and none loaded. When I put in -v for 10.5.5, it flashed up with some text, then restarted my computer.

With 10.5.2 (iAtkos) I put in -v, and had no luck. I had the same problem I had with Kalyway, which is listed below.

With Kalyway 10.5.2, I put in the disk, and waited for it to load, and came to the conclusion that it was getting nowhere....

With -v, the last few lines were as follows:

Mac OS Version:

Not set yet

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Sun Mar 2 00:11:08 SCT 2008; made by ToH:xnu-1228/BUILD/obj/RELEASE.I386

And nothing else appeared after that.

For -x, I got the following at the end:

Loading HFS+ file: (for ages, then the following appeared in a smaller text)

Extension "com.apple.driver.com.Apple PCIConfigurator" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components: use only one style

So, I had no idea what to do.

Here are my specs:

System Model: MS-7528

Processor: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz

Video: nVidia GeForce 9500 GT (1GB)

Sound: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

What should I do?

Thanks very much.

PS: Im inexperienced at this so please dont use complicated terms. :)

Installed iPC 10.5.6, followed all the steps accurately...result is: black screen.

What the hell?! :wacko:

I have exactly the same problem. Some people said that it was a EDID problem with my

LCD monitor. Instead of connecting with dvi I use VGA or a DVItovga converter and everything

is working alright. Try this!