›› Voodoo XNU Kernel is now Released

mercurysquad

Voodoo kernel release  

1,280 members have voted

1. 1. Has Voodoo kernel been working well for you?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. On which processor do you use this kernel?

• Intel
    • AMD
  3. 3. Did you use the installer or installed manually?

• Manually
    • Installer, worked well
    • Installer, but didn't work well

561 posts in this topic

You see i read your great manual - really good made!

I posted this (for me new feature) some post above.

Hint 4 all: Manual is within the newest .dmg, and really interesting for us all.

I will try it (no hurry) on my C2D soon.

Yes the 'secret new feature' is kext blocking.

Also, if anyone deleted the .dmg, the manual is installed in /Library/Documentation (if you used the installer).

BladeRunner We wont ever i think get P4HT Cache recongized 100% in system profiler

Next update I will try to fix this ...

Installed the new kernel with the installer on a AMD 4850e/ ASUS M2A-VM/ Nvidia 8600 GT machine.

Did that two times (on both Leo4All OS X 10.5.4 installations/partions). Both worked fine.

And now comes the great part: Updated both systems via Apple update to 10.5.5!

Voodoo kernel stayed. Both times the system hung and restarted to update the cache, but after that:

10.5.5, as if all was vanilla.

I don't know if this will work on all updates (e.g. 10.5.0 to 10.5.5) but on 10.5.4 it worked for me

with out any trouble.

My highest regards to Mercurysquad and the Voodoo Kernel team. You broke the AMD barrier!

PS: Ops... Had to reinstall sound kext. Took two minutes, so what...

It's working great so far, all apps tested also removed disabler's kexts and it's allright. Only problem is that my system is unstable after sleep but that's not important to me cause I never use it.

Thank you a lot for this hard work.

Just...working well.

But there was 1 thing: When I restarted after updating to 10.5.5, I think there is some problem with the new feature in release 1 (auto kext bypass). It hung after bypassed Dont steal Mac OS.

So I have to swap to RC1 to finish updating, then go back to release 1.

Done!

I tried Apple Software Update from my AMD system ( AMD 5000+ x2, DFI nf4 MBO, 6 gb of RAM) and it broke my OSX :)

After installing updates my computer restarted and i got this error:

System configuration file '/Library/Preferences/System Configuration/Com.Apple.Boot.plist' not found

I have a chain0 dual boot with win xp, Leo4allv4.1, tried Update from 10.5.4. to 10.5.5. This message shows instantly after choosing OSX in my win xp boot menu, before I can select advanced options for OSX boot...

I didnt know how to repair this so i tried Time Machine restore that I created before updateing, it restored just fine, but after restart, I get a chain booting error. :(

Can somebody help me to fix this?

Hi,

The kext blacklisting feature is not working for me. I have to use dsmos & intelpmdisabler or my pc wont boot. It just gets stuck at the boot screen without any panics.

Also i cant use seep until i eject my usb flashdrives first.

Other then that the kernel works perfectly.

I tried Apple Software Update from my AMD system ( AMD 5000+ x2, DFI nf4 MBO, 6 gb of RAM) and it broke my OSX :(

After installing updates my computer restarted and i got this error:

System configuration file '/Library/Preferences/System Configuration/Com.Apple.Boot.plist' not found

I have a chain0 dual boot with win xp, Leo4allv4.1, tried Update from 10.5.4. to 10.5.5. This message shows instantly after choosing OSX in my win xp boot menu, before I can select advanced options for OSX boot...

I didnt know how to repair this so i tried Time Machine restore that I created before updateing, it restored just fine, but after restart, I get a chain booting error. :(

Can somebody help me to fix this?

You can't just run Apple updates unless you have a separate folder with your custom kext files and kernel. Like with munky's method. LINK. EDIT: Or know exactly which files the updater modifies, so you can replace them later.

You can't just run Apple updates unless you have a separate folder with your custom kext files and kernel. Like with munky's method. LINK.

Actually you can, and I verified it this morning.

Provided that -

1. All your kexts are additions instead of replacement (e.g. dfe Intel gma 900 enabler, SMBIOSEFI, ACPIPS2Nub, natit), instead of replacements (which will get overwritten).
  2. You used the package installer, or installed the kernel under a different name and modified Boot.plist

If your kexts replace apple ones, only then you need an EFI/retail-like setup (or you could just boot in safe mode after update and restore your kexts, like I did with IOATAFamily.kext).

Hi,

The kext blacklisting feature is not working for me. I have to use dsmos & intelpmdisabler or my pc wont boot. It just gets stuck at the boot screen without any panics.

Also i cant use seep until i eject my usb flashdrives first.

Other then that the kernel works perfectly.

It works for everyone (you can confirm from the logs) :

warning: skipping personalities in blacklisted kext com.apple.driver.AppleHWSensor
warning: skipping personalities in blacklisted kext com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X

The reason it didn't go past your boot screen is because you didn't have dsmos.

Provided that -

1. All your kexts are additions instead of replacement (e.g. dfe Intel gma 900 enabler, SMBIOSEFI, ACPIPS2Nub, natit), instead of replacements (which will get overwritten).
  2. You used the package installer, or installed the kernel under a different name and modified Boot.plist

If your kexts replace apple ones, only then you need an EFI/retail-like setup (or you could just boot in safe mode after update and restore your kexts, like I did with IOATAFamily.kext).

I can verify too :D

I installed 10.5.5. update on Leo4All 10.5.4. with package installer

Booted in safe mode, repaired permissions, everything worked, only forcedeth kext didnt work.

I messed something up when reinstalling forcedeth kext, so I went back to 10.5.4. with time machine :D

Will try again later, but Im not sure how to know if my kexts are additions (I know for some, but not for all of them).

Can I just create a copy of my kext extensions folder, and put it back there in safe mode after the update?

Provided that -

Yes, you're right. But most users will either have, in some way or another, modified versions of some of the standard kext files (done manually or via a "release" installation) or have no idea of which system files are actually "stock" and which are extra.

That is why I consider it fair to say that running the updater app is a risky process and one particularly difficult to recover from if you don't know what you're doing. I mean, heck, some folks here neglect to make backup copies of any of their system files before mucking around their system by hand (even when advised to) and/or don't care to even learn how to do the simplest of things via terminal.

Cheers,

- hecker

See what I mean?:

I messed something up when reinstalling forcedeth kext, so I went back to 10.5.4. with time machine sad.gif

Will try again later, but Im not sure how to know if my kexts are additions (I know for some, but not for all of them).

Can I just create a copy of my kext extensions folder, and put it back there in safe mode after the update?

Ok.Did you face the 4GHz and System Profiler with earlier kernels too ?

Which bootloader you use ?

everything was working great until kernel v 1.0

rc1 detected it fine and showed on system profiler fine I use macloader process to load (chamaleon) and running off a sd card for security purposes all was well till now can anyone over at voodoo assist me I cant see mah profiler info and also shoul i try symbios enable instead of suggested one thnx a bunch

See what I mean?:

I knew You/re gonna say that :D

I already repaired anything, running 10.5.5. with no problems at all, everything works as before :)

Time machine is a great option, allows me to experiment as much as I like :D

I knew You/re gonna say that :D

I already repaired anything, running 10.5.5. with no problems at all, everything works as before :D

Time machine is a great option, allows me to experiment as much as I like :D

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound condescending!

I mean, I understand that it is absolutely normal for someone to not care to find out EXACTLY which system files are crucial and which aren't. Especially if you used one of the pre-patched OS X "releases" and everything is working fine.

I'm glad that you got everything working! :)

sorry to say that, but the old problems from rc1 still exists, like i already wrote at the irc channel , it panics on shutdown when superhai's powermanagement is loaded.

kernel panic screenshot

and those kerberos related problems also only happen on voodoo

http://pastebin.com/m40a62fcc

system: core2duo, ideneb 10.5.5, Superhai's GeneralPM v 1.1

update: accepted as a bug at google code: issue 113

Same problem here....

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound condescending!

I mean, I understand that it is absolutely normal for someone to not care to find out EXACTLY which system files are critical and which aren't. Especially if you used one of the pre-patched OS X "releases" and everything is working fine.

I'm glad that you got everything working! :)

No offense taken :D

-s -v -f did the trick with my 10.5.5. pkg update :D

Im not familiar with crucial system kexts, I didnt learn much about them because I had to use prepatched releases (because I have AMD system). Hope that thing will change and I will be able to reboot retail on AMD with this kernel.

FYI: specs in sig. on HP Pavillion P4

mach_kernel.voodoo installed/copied into /Extra directory

panic occurred after install of ubuntu 8.4 on third partition (leopard on 1st partition) and first attempt of grub menu.lst to boot to boot-132 menu (which it did). then used -v -f flags. i have configured the com.apple.boot.plist to boot from /Extra/mach_kernel.voodoo.

on second attempt with -v -f it boots leopard and all appears ok; however, it failed self test. "Self test reports invalid ROM contents." "Self test reports internal register failure." internet connection still maintained?

post-254291-1228658178_thumb.jpg

No offense taken :)

-s -v -f did the trick with my 10.5.5. pkg update :D

Im not familiar with crucial system kexts, I didnt learn much about them because I had to use prepatched releases (because I have AMD system). Hope that thing will change and I will be able to reboot retail on AMD with this kernel.

I'm sure you will.

I actually went from using a Leo4All release to full retail "vanilla" installation thanks to this kernel. I created a working Boot-132 CD for AMD (the hardest part, IMO. Since you have to weed out the relevent system files at this stage) first and then I followed munky's method for retail installation.