[Guide]Intel D945GCLF2 10.5.x Retail Installation

iSynapse

447 posts in this topic

First off, Thanks for putting all this together, iSynapse.

My ordered parts will be arriving tomorrow, and this will be my first boot-132 install. My retail disk is 10.5.1. I was wondering if I should follow through with all of the steps in the guide before updating, or should I hold off on installing the kexts until after I update? Also, which method of updating would you recommend? It seems that the "bike town" method is suggested elsewhere. Thanks in advance,

~Aargh

My Leopard DVD is 10.5.4 and I applied the kext files after the initial install was done. Everything was great and I proceeded to update to 10.5.5 and nothing broke. If you choose to go 10.5.6 you will have problems with shutdown, sound and the video drivers. Reapplying the kext files will fix it.

Sleep works perfect with the Retail install.

FWIW, I have done a retail install on the D945GCLF (not the 2), and sleep is not working. I assume it's the difference between the boards, not sure at this point. I also do not have ethernet working (but that I think is a matter of ethernet EFI strings)

I just realized something. I am running 10.5.6 but I thought i did the DSDT patch thing correctly. When i just turned my machine on I still have the apple logo on the main boot. I thought the patch needed to be applied correctly to get 10.5.6 to boot. I'm guessing I screwed something up.

I just realized something. I am running 10.5.6 but I thought i did the DSDT patch thing correctly. When i just turned my machine on I still have the apple logo on the main boot. I thought the patch needed to be applied correctly to get 10.5.6 to boot. I'm guessing I screwed something up.

You need to run the pacher. It creates a file called "dsdt.aml" in the same folder as the patcher. You must copy it (or move it) to the root of the osx installatin /.

Installa Chameleon 1.0.12 and then updated. I didn`t tryed to update to 10.5.6 without makeing these modifications so i don`t know if it would work or not.

Hey everyone,

I've run into a problem with the earlier version of this board and wanted to know if anyone here had any thoughts on it.

So far, this installation worked on my D945GCLF (note this is not the 2 version), and the only problems I am encountering are sleep, and more importantly, Ethernet. I've gone through a few kexts, but they don't seem to be working. The problem arises from different ethernet chipsets on the boards. the 2 has a gigabit enet chispet, but the original is a realtek RTL8169. I tried pulling the kexts from the kalyway install, but they both cause the network pref pane to hang on clicking, and then crashes the preferences app.

any thoughts, Ideas?

Thanks

OK, here's my report.

I tried following the how-to guide included in "D945GCLF2_Reteail_Installation_v.2.0".

I made it all the way to the part where you enter the terminal commands, and then encountered a few problems:

1. I had to sudo in order to enter the fdisk command

2. I found that it is critical to ensure that you type the space between the "-e" and the "/" in the "fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0" command.

3. After entering my password for the sudo, "p" does nothing, but returns a "invalid command"

4. I went ahead and skipped the "p", and entered "flag 1" instead of "f 1", as it would not work. This made the partition show as active. (fdisk: *1>)

5. I typed "write", and got this message: " Device could not be accessed exclusively. A reboot will be needed...OK? [n]"

6. I entered "Y", and it returned "writing MBR at offset 0 fdisk:1>" (notice the * is no longer next to 1>)

7. I entered "exit", and then proceeded to add the Ethernet EFI strings

8. I then tried to reboot without the boot_132.iso, but would get 5 seconds into the gray Apple screen, and the spinning disc freezes up, and the cursor appears on screen (and is moveable) However, it never completely boots.

I reinstalled from scratch several times, with the same results. I then started installing minus some of the latter steps, but kept getting stuck at the same place. I eventually figured it out, but had to stray a bit off from your instructions. Here is what I did:

I did everything the same until the part where you install the driver package. Instead of this, I installed the Apple 10.5.5 Combo update.

~I then restarted, but with the boot_132 iso.

~Then, I manually installed the Chameleon bootloader package, and restarted. It went into the spinning wheel, and hung there awhile. I rebooted again. (I read elsewhwere that it may not reboot the first time after installing chameleon) This time it went a bit further, but got a panic...something about "IntelCPUPM something something"

~I rebooted using the boot132.iso, and manually installed the kexts that you included in the "System Folder", using OSX86 Tools. Then I removed the boot_132.iso disk from the drive, and rebooted. Hooray, it booted up!

~I then installed the remaining kexts, changed the "About this Mac" info, and did some configuring.

I've got proper 1680 x 1050 resolution, sound, sleep, etc. Everything seems to work great.

It seems that the problem occured during installation of the included package, as doing it manually seemed to make it work. However, I also did the update from 10.5.1 to 10.5.5 in there, so I don't know if that changed any variables.

I did skip the Ethernet Strings step, because I wasn't sure what it is supposed to fix. My ethernet seems to be working 100%.

I also skipped the DSDT_Patcher, because I wasn't planning on installing 10.5.6 yet. I read that they now believe it may not be necessary to do that patch to be able to do the update. Anyhoo, I figured I'd let it get figured out before I do that upgrade.

Anyway, That's what I got. Thanks for all your hard work, I hope this helps you get the package figured out. I had to do some trouble shooting, but it still set me in the right direction. Let me know if you have any questions, and if you could let me know about the Ethernet EFI Strings thing, I'd really appreciate it.

~Aargh

BTW, I just thought I'd add (in case it isn't obvious) that I am not too experienced with the terminal, and this is my first boot_132 install. I only added some of the above tidbits of info for the benefit of others who might be inexperienced also.

Because a lot of people PMed me saying that the video driver doesn`t work (the auto installer f#$ks up some things) I decided to remake the driver pack without using any auto installer. I`ve added the necessary tools to install everything.

- Updated the guide

- Added some usefull tools

- Audio drivers still missing :wacko: (Use azalia for the moment)

Updated the first thread!

iSynapse, Thank you for the guide. I used v.1 Everything works fine. I even managed to run 10.5.6 updater without any problems. I do not think I used DSDT patching but 10.5.6 works beautifully.

Few points for newbies like me.

1. terminal - I had to use "sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 (note space before -e and /dev also). Next line asks for your passoword. rest was the same.

2. run permission etc using OsX 86 tools after installing the major updates (10.5.5 and 10.5.6)

3. I had to reinstall the 5 kexts (system and video in v.1) after each update to get out of fixed video resolution. After these reinstallations, I did run permissions repair using OsX 86 tools.

4. I didn't do anything re: ethernet as it seems to be working fine.

Everything works fine (except audio as expected) including sleep. Only glitch is that, at every boot, it shows the hard drive name to boot from and I have to press enter to boot to OsX.

PS: changed the fan on the heatsink and now it is almost silent.

Audio drivers in version 2.5 of the guide (current guide available by iSynapse) works fine and now I have sterio sound coming from the motherboard (green audio outlet) and keyboard can control the volume and mute. I am running 10.5.6 and sleep, restart and everything else works fine.

Audio kexts for my D945GCLF2 (via EFI method):

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

IOAudioFamily.kext (needed by Azalia above)

OSvKernDSPLib.kext (needed by IOaudio family above)

(I found the above dependencies via dmesg)

Running EFI/Vanilla kernel with the 10.5.6 update.

Other kexts I have in EFI:

ApplePS2Controller.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

dsmos.kext

All my patched kexts above come from Kalyway 10.5.2, so that may be why I need the extra kext's for audio.

Also, I don't have any patched video drivers, I just set vid resolution in boot.plist. QE and all work fine.

Audio kexts for my D945GCLF2 (via EFI method):

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

IOAudioFamily.kext (needed by Azalia above)

OSvKernDSPLib.kext (needed by IOaudio family above)

(I found the above dependencies via dmesg)

Running EFI/Vanilla kernel with the 10.5.6 update.

Other kexts I have in EFI:

ApplePS2Controller.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

dsmos.kext

All my patched kexts above come from Kalyway 10.5.2, so that may be why I need the extra kext's for audio.

Also, I don't have any patched video drivers, I just set vid resolution in boot.plist. QE and all work fine.

Hi TedPHX

I wanned to ask u if your audio using those kext is stereo or 5.1 ? Mic and input working? Front audio working?

Tell us in a bit more detail on how it works.

As for the video, ur right it works even without the patched kext (as i mentioned in the first post) but with them u have the pleasure to change resolution and Hz any time u want.

Cheers m8s

Hey everyone,

I've run into a problem with the earlier version of this board and wanted to know if anyone here had any thoughts on it.

So far, this installation worked on my D945GCLF (note this is not the 2 version), and the only problems I am encountering are sleep, and more importantly, Ethernet.

Thanks

As far as the sleep problem, I can see from your pix in the "cube" thread that you are using a pico psu. Have you seen this post:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...623&st=637#

Someone on the linked ubuntu forum thread has actually modified the PSU to fix the problem themselves...

Interesting bit of info that I discovered:

I decided to run the OS and apps in my HackBox Media Server on a SATA laptop drive that I had laying around, so I proceeded to re-install on it using this method. I did everything exactly the same way as before, but this time it would not boot up without the boot-132 disk. Instead, it would display info about the ethernet hardware, and something about the mac address. So, I went ahead and did the terminal commands as described in iSynapse's guide, and other than the need to sudo, it worked as it was supposed to. Don't know why a terminal command would be invalid one time and not another. I also installed the efi ethernet strings for good measure, and then rebooted. Hey, it worked.

??

Weird. Can't imagine what the difference could be. Only thing that was different, was the SATA port that the installation drive was connected to was different, and the fact that it was a laptop drive, and not a 3 1/2" drive.

Hi from Germany,

first happy xmas :thumbsup_anim:

and then big thanks to iSynapse for his tutorial.

I finished building my Apple Cube media-pc (see link in signature) and have no problems with the Inel D945GCLF2 and his guide (sound with Azalia).

Newchurch

Hi TedPHX

I wanned to ask u if your audio using those kext is stereo or 5.1 ? Mic and input working? Front audio working?

Tell us in a bit more detail on how it works.

As for the video, ur right it works even without the patched kext (as i mentioned in the first post) but with them u have the pleasure to change resolution and Hz any time u want.

Cheers m8s

iSynapse, sorry I didn't clarify, I don't have anything but 2-ch green plug stereo output from the rear. I haven't seen anything anywhere on getting more than this.

I can't quite get this to work for me, but I think it's due to my lack of experience. Could I get some clarification on a couple of the instructions in the guide?

- In phase 3, it says "4. Install the driver unsing OSX86 Tool." - which driver(s)? Do I need to install all the kexts?

-Later in phase 3 it says "6. Patch your DSDT using the patcher from the "Tools/DSDT Patcher" folder or DSDT Patcher with GUI. Copy the "dsdt.aml" file in the root /" I can create the file, but how do I copy the file to the root?

- I can get through the fdisk steps by using sudo, but when I try to add ethernet efi stings, it fails becuase the file is not found. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any and all help.

I can't quite get this to work for me, but I think it's due to my lack of experience. Could I get some clarification on a couple of the instructions in the guide?

Hello JHide. I'll see if I can help.

- In phase 3, it says "4. Install the driver unsing OSX86 Tool." - which driver(s)? Do I need to install all the kexts?

Open up the tools folder that came with iSynapse's package, and drag the OSX86 Tool to your desktop. You are going to be using it a lot for this process, and it's easier to get at there. Launch it, and select the "Install Kexts" button that's in the "Extensions" section. It will open up a file browser window...select all the kexts in the "Kext" folder that came in the package. I dragged them all out of their individual folders into the kext folder prior to trying to load them in OSX86Tools so I could select them all at the same time. Select them, and click choose. After installing the Kexts, you'll want to check "Repair Permissions" and "Clear extensions Cache" in the "System Maintainance" section, then click "Run Selected Tasks"

-Later in phase 3 it says "6. Patch your DSDT using the patcher from the "Tools/DSDT Patcher" folder or DSDT Patcher with GUI. Copy the "dsdt.aml" file in the root /" I can create the file, but how do I copy the file to the root?

Just drag it into your Hard Drive. For example, if you named the boot drive "MacHDD", and you double click on it, you'll see all the folders that are in your root, such as "Applications", "Library", "Users", etc. Put the .aml file at the same level as those folders.

- I can get through the fdisk steps by using sudo, but when I try to add ethernet efi stings, it fails becuase the file is not found. Any suggestions?

First, click "Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag". The Boot Editor will open up. Select the globe that says "Ethernet Strings" at the top. You should have to enter your password, then the strings will appear in the bottom dialog box. Click the "Apply changes to com.apple.Boot.plist" button at the bottom of the window. You should be good to go.

Good luck. I hope I gave you the proper instruction. Post back with how it went.

Thanks for your help AArgh-a-knot. I'm still having a problem with the last step - the EFI string (see below)

Hello JHide. I'll see if I can help.

Open up the tools folder that came with iSynapse's package, and drag the OSX86 Tool to your desktop. You are going to be using it a lot for this process, and it's easier to get at there. Launch it, and select the "Install Kexts" button that's in the "Extensions" section. It will open up a file browser window...select all the kexts in the "Kext" folder that came in the package. I dragged them all out of their individual folders into the kext folder prior to trying to load them in OSX86Tools so I could select them all at the same time. Select them, and click choose. After installing the Kexts, you'll want to check "Repair Permissions" and "Clear extensions Cache" in the "System Maintainance" section, then click "Run Selected Tasks"

Just drag it into your Hard Drive. For example, if you named the boot drive "MacHDD", and you double click on it, you'll see all the folders that are in your root, such as "Applications", "Library", "Users", etc. Put the .aml file at the same level as those folders.

First, click "Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag". The Boot Editor will open up. Select the globe that says "Ethernet Strings" at the top. You should have to enter your password, then the strings will appear in the bottom dialog box. Click the "Apply changes to com.apple.Boot.plist" button at the bottom of the window. You should be good to go.

Good luck. I hope I gave you the proper instruction. Post back with how it went.

When I "Apply changes to com.apple.Boot.plist" I get an error that says "AppleScript Error /bin/sh: /Users/jhide/Desktop/D945GCLF2_driver_pack_v2.5/Tools/OSX86: No such file or directory (127)"

Do I need to "Install EFI/Run FDISK" from OSx86 Tools Utility before I try to add EFI strings, or can I specify where the changes to com.apple.Boot.plist should be applied?

Not sure why you get that error.

It seems to be referencing OSX86 Tools in the original package folder. Did you move it out of that folder? Try it again, but leave OSX86Tools in its original spot, and see if that helps. I just did that step 5 minutes ago with OSX86Tools on the desktop, and it installed the EFI strings without giving that error, so I don't know what's different.

FYI, the EFI Strings step is only needed for Time Machine. If you are not planning on using Time Machine, then I would just skip it. I installed without it, and everything went fine.

Also, I just tried to install the PS2 package, and my whole system got F'd up. I am having to re-install from scratch, so you might want to skip that in the kexts folder. I am trying different things to see if I can troubleshoot the problem.

*EDIT Well, I just re-installed from scratch (again) and this time updated to 10.5.6 before installing the kexts. I again left out the EFI strings and the PS2 Fix, and everything went fine. I want to stress that the DSDT step is not necessary. It was originally thought it would be needed for this latest update, as it was with the 10.5.6 Beta. Turns out it is NOT needed. See this post for details.

Not sure why you get that error.

It seems to be referencing OSX86 Tools in the original package folder. Did you move it out of that folder? Try it again, but leave OSX86Tools in its original spot, and see if that helps. I just did that step 5 minutes ago with OSX86Tools on the desktop, and it installed the EFI strings without giving that error, so I don't know what's different.

FYI, the EFI Strings step is only needed for Time Machine. If you are not planning on using Time Machine, then I would just skip it. I installed without it, and everything went fine.

Also, I just tried to install the PS2 package, and my whole system got F'd up. I am having to re-install from scratch, so you might want to skip that in the kexts folder. I am trying different things to see if I can troubleshoot the problem.

*EDIT Well, I just re-installed from scratch (again) and this time updated to 10.5.6 before installing the kexts. I again left out the EFI strings and the PS2 Fix, and everything went fine. I want to stress that the DSDT step is not necessary. It was originally thought it would be needed for this latest update, as it was with the 10.5.6 Beta. Turns out it is NOT needed. See this post for details.

Alright, I got through the whole process. I needed to copy OSX86 Tools to the desktop get the EFI strings to work.

But now when I restart the computer, the grey apples screen appears, then I get a blue screen, then it goes black for a second, then back to blue, then it goes black again. I can see the mouse pointer in the top left hand corner and can move it around (a pointer remains in the top left corner at all times, while a second moves around the screen). The system seems to be working. If I go down to where the dock is I can click and hear the hard drive working. It makes no difference if it starts independently or through boot132.

I also never get the ethernet port working.

How frustrating!

UPDATE: Feeling profoundly stupid, I am starting over. I unzipped the drivers and tools on a Vista machine and got all sorts of file name errors that I ignored and now suspect may be responsible for the problems I am having. I will confirm my own foolishness once I am done the installation if it works.

I had the black screen with the arrow as well. I started over, and made sure to reboot with the boot-132 disk after doing the kexts and repairing permissions/clearing extension cache. Then, when I rebooted, I installed chameleon and did the terminal commands. It worked fine after that. I was getting the black screen when I tried to do everything all at once before rebooting.

Also, I installed 10.5.6 first off, before even doing the kexts, because you have to re-do the kexts anyway after updating. I don't know if it matters, but I downloaded the 10.5.6 combo update and installed manually instead of letting the updater do it.

Good luck.

I had the black screen with the arrow as well. I started over, and made sure to reboot with the boot-132 disk after doing the kexts and repairing permissions/clearing extension cache. Then, when I rebooted, I installed chameleon and did the terminal commands. It worked fine after that. I was getting the black screen when I tried to do everything all at once before rebooting.

Also, I installed 10.5.6 first off, before even doing the kexts, because you have to re-do the kexts anyway after updating. I don't know if it matters, but I downloaded the 10.5.6 combo update and installed manually instead of letting the updater do it.

Good luck.

Almost there. I followed your advice Aargh-a-Knot. I updated to 10.5.6 using the combo updater first. The restart hung, but a forced reboot with boot132 worked and then and installed the kexts, then cleared the extension cache and repaired the permissions. The system hung again while repairing permissions (it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes, should it?). I restarted with boot132 and it worked. I installed chameleon bootloader. I restarted with boot132 and the screen worked but still not ethernet. I tried a normal restart and the there was no change - screen works (no black screen after restart- yeah!), but ethernet shows a green light on Ethernet, a yellow light on Network settings and red lights on ISP, Internet and Server.

Thanks for all your help.