Chameleon with SMBIOS patching

mackerintel

138 posts in this topic

Chameleon_SMBIOS works fine with my config (see signature and picture below).

Chameleon_SMBIOS.jpg

But I think that some values (like SMexternalclock, SMmaximalclock) should be detected automatically. Simply because many users change FSB very often for the reason of overclocking. For example, sometimes I change my FSB more than three times per day. Accordingly, to fill those fields so often it is not possible.

But thanks anyway ;)

But I think that some values (like SMexternalclock, SMmaximalclock) should be detected automatically. Simply because many users change FSB very often for the reason of overclocking. For example, sometimes I change my FSB more than three times per day. Accordingly, to fill those fields so often it is not possible.

If you don't specify theese values manually then chameleon will keep the value provided by BIOS which on many systems is already correct. You can also specify theese values on the command line:

E.g

-v SMexternalclock=133 SMmaximalclock=1866

Should. Everything should be opensource and work on any platform...

If you can suggest an easy, reliable and compact way to detect theese values I'm listening (I don't say it's impossible I just haven't looked at it at all since it's completely unnecessary for my system since BIOS already provides them correctly)

mackerintel

Sorry, this is my mistake: I added those values in Boot.plist but leaved fields blank. Like this:

<key>SMexternalclock</key>

<string></string>

<key>SMmaximalclock</key>

<string></string>

But this way is wrong:

Chameleon_SMBIOS_4.jpg

Now i deleted those values at all. And all is correct; pics below

Chameleon_SMBIOS_2.jpg

Chameleon_SMBIOS_3.jpg

It's part of my Boot.plist

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>MP31.88Z.00C1.B00.080209154</string>

<key>SMmanufacter</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacPro3,1</string>

<key>SMsystemversion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

<key>SMserial</key>

<string>W88261E7YP4</string>

<key>SMmemmanufacter</key>

<string>OCZ</string>

<key>SMmemtype</key>

<string>19</string>

<key>SMmemspeed</key>

<string>910</string>

And excuse me for this word "should" :) Thanks for your work! :hysterical:

Working great here as well, on Q6600, all vanilla kexts with fake plists.

Thanks.

its assumed that we already know that. If you have chameleon installed just replace 'boot' file in your leopard root partition with this new one renaming it to 'boot'. If not, install chameleon first (from the installer, the best way) then replace boot file.

Hi I agree allot of posts assume to much.

There are 2 files in the downloaded folder and they are:

smbios.diff

chameleonsm

What do we do with both?

Hi I agree allot of posts assume to much.

There are 2 files in the downloaded folder and they are:

smbios.diff

chameleonsm

What do we do with both?

Your question is already answered in the quote. If you have trouble understanding you probably would get better luck in your language's forum. Some more information is available under http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=132757 . And I'm someone who likes challenges and when I solve some I don't mind sharing my work with others. Also I sometime like helping people if their case presents some interest/challenges. But I find boring and useless repeating information that is already available via web or forum searching. Even worse I think that reposting same info is just about making searching needed things more difficult. So if in any post you find that there isn't enough info then first reread it and then use search. We can't include complete hackintosh guide in every post. Additionally this thread is in Xlabs forum it means that if you come here you are assumed to be a bit technically knowledgeable or at least willing to learn. If you're neither of both then I would suggest you buying a real mac

Thanks for this mackerintel, great job.

Edit: I just needed to set my max cpu speed other then that this new addition to the chameleon project is the {censored} :)

Here are the changes to my boot plist. This does not reflect my other boot options or dev prop hex.

<string>1870</string>
	<key>SMbiosversion</key>
	<key>SMmanufacter</key>
	<key>SMproductname</key>
	<string>1.0</string>
	<key>SMserial</key>

Something worth noting is this is the first time in a long time that the model ident has actually be set to anything other then blank / mac on this system. Great work really ppl are going to love this :)

post-1227-1227811919_thumb.png

@JaS: thanks

After replacing and renameing boot I get a kernel panic. Any ideas as to why?

1. This version doesn't support /Extra. So if you use it change so not to use it

2. Are new parameters set correctly?

3. If it still doesn't work say which bootloader you used before and put your ioreg.

@mackerintel: Are you working with zef and them to merge these changes into the current project ? I think these additions to Chameleon / Chameleon 132 cd boot would really finish up the communities booting needs. DSDT + Dev Prop + SMBios Value Injection == Boot Perfection imo lol . :P

@mackerintel: Are you working with zef and them to merge these changes into the current project ? I think these additions to Chameleon / Chameleon 132 cd boot would really finish up the communities booting needs. DSDT + Dev Prop + SMBios Value Injection == Boot Perfection imo lol . :)

Oh I see thanks. I am using /Extra to load kexts from a partition with chameleon installed. Any chance of this method ever working?

Yes and yes. DSDT override is already merged into big chameleon. Just wait for our next release

Hello,

I've tried it today but the bus speed still shown as 667 Mhz instead as 166 (according to my laptop specs and x-cpu).

Plus, I need AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext to access the memory informations in the System Profiler.

I'm using Vanilla kernel and AppleSMBIOS.kext, and for the moment any modded AppleSMBIOS.kext were able to get the correct bus speed value, it always has shown 100 or 667.

Does someone have an idea about what I'm missing ?

Boot.plist values:

<string>166</string>
<string>1667</string>
<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>19</string>
<key>SMmemspeed</key>
<string>667</string>
<key>SMmempart</key>
<string>0x48092D503537345336304350362D09352020</string>
<key>SMmemmanufacturer</key>
<string>0xAD00000000000000</string>
<key>SMmemserial</key>
<string>0x0000FFFF</string>
<key>SMmemdevloc_1</key>
<string>M1</string>
<key>SMmembankloc_1</key>
<string>BANK 0</string>
<key>SMmemdevloc_2</key>
	<string>M2</string>
	<key>SMmembankloc_2</key>
	<string>BANK 1</string>
<key>device-properties</key>

Thank you.

Hello: Could this be used to specify the voltages used by the system too? along with the clock speeds?

Sorry if it is a stupid question, but this could be used to overclock the system without entering the BIOS?

I couldn't try this becouse I use /Extra, but I'm waiting for next chameleon. Thanks for the work, guys.

Hello: Could this be used to specify the voltages used by the system too? along with the clock speeds?

Sorry if it is a stupid question, but this could be used to overclock the system without entering the BIOS?

I couldn't try this becouse I use /Extra, but I'm waiting for next chameleon. Thanks for the work, guys.

It's possible but probably won't change real voltage, only the information OSX gets. Same thing with frequencies

O GOD:

What happens to the monthly average Mac Benchmap if lots of OSX86 MSI 100 (ATOM 1,6) will seen as an MacPro ?!

The MacPro Geekbench average monthly will get underground :(

MSI 1,6 ATOM i think performes at least 30 times slower than MacPro 8 Core :(

Hi,

i have installed this Chameleon version and inserted this to my boot.plist:

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
	<key>SMbiosversion</key>
	<key>SMmanufacter</key>
	<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>333</string>
<string>3000</string>
<string>Corsair</string>
<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>19</string>
<key>SMmemspeed</key>
<string>1000</string>
	<string>1.0</string>
	<key>SMserial</key>

But there is something wrong. There is displayerd no CPU Model and no CPU features. Also the smbiosversion is cutted. Then on the left site there is: My name: SomeModelPR3.

When I open Memory I get an Error. So nothing is displayed.

jq17xx.jpg

Hi,

i have installed this Chameleon version and inserted this to my boot.plist:

<key>Kernel</key>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
	<key>SMbiosversion</key>
	<key>SMmanufacter</key>
	<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>333</string>
<string>3000</string>
<string>Corsair</string>
<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>19</string>
<key>SMmemspeed</key>
<string>1000</string>
	<string>1.0</string>
	<key>SMserial</key>

But there is something wrong. There is displayerd no CPU Model and no CPU features. Also the smbiosversion is cutted. Then on the left site there is: My name: SomeModelPR3.

jq17xx.jpg

Here is my boot setup for an iMac5,1:

------------------------------------------------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">'>http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1024x768x32</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>IM51.88Z.0090.B09.0706270921</string>

<key>SMmanufacter</key>

<string>0x80CE</string>

<key>SMmempart</key>

<string>0x0000FFFF</string>

<key>SMmemserial</key>

<string>0x48092D503537345336304350362D09352020</string>

<key>SMmemspeed</key>

<string>800</string>

<key>SMmemtype</key>

<string>19</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>iMac5,1</string>

<key>SMserial</key>

<string>CK6370PWX1A</string>

<key>smbios-table</key>

<data>ABgAAAECAAADH4CYAQAAAAAAwQIAAf//QXBwbGUgQ29tcHV0ZXIsIEluYy4AICAgIElNNTEuODhaLjAwOTAuQjA5LjA3MDYyNzA5MjEAMDYvMjcv

DcAAAEbAQABAgMEnP4kXtDIvUWnn1TqX709lwYFBkFwcGxlIENvbXB1dGVyLCBJbmMuAGlNYWM1LDEAM

4wAENLNjM3MFBXWDFBAFN5c3RlbSBTS1VOdW1iZXIATmFwYSBNYWMAAAIQAgABAgMEBQkGAwABAABBcH

sZSBDb21wdXRlciwgSW5jLgBNYWMtRjQyNzg2QTkARFZUADEAQmFzZSBCb2FyZCBBc3NldCBUYWcAUGF

dCBDb21wb25lbnQAAAMVAwABDQIDBAMDAQEAAAAAAAAAAEFwcGxlIENvbXB1dGVyLCBJbmMuAE1hYy1G

DI3ODZBOQBDSzYzNzBQV1gxQQBBc3NldCBUYWcAACAUBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANFgUAAQAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMBQYBAEo2SDE6MS1YIENNT1MgQ0xFQVIoZGVmYXVsdCk7IEo4SDE6MS1YIE

JT1MgUkVDT1ZFUlkAAAgJBwEBAAL/HE5vbmUATWluaSBEVkkAAAgJCAEBAAISEE5vbmUAVVNCMAAACAkJAQEAAhIQTm9uZQBVU0IxAAAICQoB

QACEhBOb25lAFVTQjIAAAgJCwEBAAIhEU5vbmUARmlyZVdpcmUwAAAICQwBAQACIRFOb25lAEZpcmVXa

JlMQAACAkNAQEAAgsfTm9uZQBFdGhlcm5ldAAACAkOAQEAAv//Tm9uZQBBaXJwb3J0IE1pbmkgUENJIEV4cHJlc3MAAAgJDwEBAAIfHU5vbmUAQXVkaW8gTGluZSBJbgAA

AkQAQEAAh8dTm9uZQBBdWRpbyBMaW5lIE91dAAACAkRAQH/AgD/U3BlYWtlcgBOb25lAAAICRIBAf8CAP9GSEIATm9uZQAACAkTAQH/AgD/U2F0YQBOb25lAAAICRQBAf8CAP9QYXRhAE5vbmUAAAkNFQEBpQgDAwIABAZBaXJQb3J0AAAKBhYBgwFB

EkgTTU2IFZpZGVvAAAKBhcBhQFZdWtvbiBFdGhlcm5ldCBDb250cm9sbGVyAAAKBhgBhwFBemFsaWEgQ

VkaW8gQ29kZWMAAAoGGQGBAVNBVEEAAAoGGgGBAVBBVEEAAIgGGwEAAAAABCMcAQMDEQL2BgAA//vrvwGQpgDQB9AHQQQfAR0B//8ABABJbnRlbChSKSBDb3JlKFRNKTIgQ1BVICAgICAgICAgVABJbnRlbChSKSBDb3Jwb3JhdGlvbgBVMk

xAFVua25vd24AAAcTHQEBgQEAEAAQQABAAAAFBQhVbmtub3duAAAHEx4BAYABIAAgAEAAQAAABQMHVW5

bm93bgAABxMfAQGAASAAIABAAEAAAAUEB1Vua25vd24AAAQjIAEDAxEC9gYAAP/7678BkKYA0AfQB0EEIwEhAf//AAQASW50ZWwoUikgQ29yZShUTSkyIENQVSAgICAgICAgIFQASW50ZWwoUikgQ29ycG9yYXRpb24AVTJF

QBVbmtub3duAAAHEyEBAYEBABAAEEAAQAAABQUIVW5rbm93bgAABxMiAQGAASAAIABAAEAAAAUDB1Vua

5vd24AAAcTIwEBgAEgACAAQABAAAAFBAdVbmtub3duAAAQDyQBAwMDAABAAP7/AgAAABEbJQEkAf//QABAAAACCQABAhOAAJsCAwQFBkRJTU0wAEJBTksgMAAweENFMDAwMDAwMDAwMDAwMDAAMHhGNzQzN0U3

QBVbmtub3duADB4NEQzNDIwMzczMDU0MzYzNTM1MzQ0MzVBMzMyRDQzNDUzNjIwAAAUEyYBAAAAAP//BwAlASkBAQEBAAARGycBJAH//0AAQAAAAgkAAQITgACbAgMEBQZESU1NMQBCQU5LIDEAMHhDRTAwMDAwMDAwMDAwMDAwADB4Rjc0MzdFN

QAVW5rbm93bgAweDREMzQyMDM3MzA1NDM2MzUzNTM0NDM1QTMzMkQ0MzQ1MzYyMAAAFBMoAQAACAD//w8AJwEpAQICAQAAEw8pAQAAAAD//w8AJAEEAAB/BP3/AAA=</data> <key>SMsystemversion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>3</string>

</dict>

</plist>

------------------------------------------------

Here is my info.plist from my AppleSMBIOS.kext:

-----------------------------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>

<string>English</string>

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>

<string>AppleSMBIOS</string>

<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>

<string>1.0.14, Copyright Apple, Inc. 2005-2008</string>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleSMBIOS</string>

<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>

<string>6.0</string>

<key>CFBundleName</key>

<string>System Management BIOS Driver</string>

<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>

<string>KEXT</string>

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>

<string>1.0.14</string>

<key>CFBundleSignature</key>

<string>????</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>1.0.14</string>

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>Platform BIOS Match</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleSMBIOS</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<string>bios</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPlatformDevice</string>

<key>SMBIOSData</key>

<dict>

<key>UUID-key</key>

<string>00000000-0000-1000-8000-0016CB98847B</string>

<key>board-id</key>

<string>Mac-F42786A9</string>

<key>compatible</key>

<string>iMac5,1</string>

<key>manufacturer</key>

<key>memory-speed</key>

<integer>800</integer>

<key>memory-type</key>

<string>DDR2</string>

<key>model</key>

<string>iMac5,1</string>

<key>nullify-system-type</key>

<true/>

<key>product-name</key>

<string>iMac5,1</string>

<key>rom-version</key>

<string>IM51.88Z.0090.B09.0706270921</string>

<key>serial-number</key>

<string>CK6370PWX1A</string>

<key>smbios-table</key>

<data>ABgAAAECAAADH4CYAQAAAAAAwQIAAf//QXBwbGUgQ29tcHV0ZXIsIEluYy4AICAgIElNNTEuODhaLjAwOTAuQjA5LjA3MDYyNzA5MjEAMDYvMjcv

DcAAAEbAQABAgMEnP4kXtDIvUWnn1TqX709lwYFBkFwcGxlIENvbXB1dGVyLCBJbmMuAGlNYWM1LDEAM

4wAENLNjM3MFBXWDFBAFN5c3RlbSBTS1VOdW1iZXIATmFwYSBNYWMAAAIQAgABAgMEBQkGAwABAABBcH

sZSBDb21wdXRlciwgSW5jLgBNYWMtRjQyNzg2QTkARFZUADEAQmFzZSBCb2FyZCBBc3NldCBUYWcAUGF

dCBDb21wb25lbnQAAAMVAwABDQIDBAMDAQEAAAAAAAAAAEFwcGxlIENvbXB1dGVyLCBJbmMuAE1hYy1G

DI3ODZBOQBDSzYzNzBQV1gxQQBBc3NldCBUYWcAACAUBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANFgUAAQAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMBQYBAEo2SDE6MS1YIENNT1MgQ0xFQVIoZGVmYXVsdCk7IEo4SDE6MS1YIE

JT1MgUkVDT1ZFUlkAAAgJBwEBAAL/HE5vbmUATWluaSBEVkkAAAgJCAEBAAISEE5vbmUAVVNCMAAACAkJAQEAAhIQTm9uZQBVU0IxAAAICQoB

QACEhBOb25lAFVTQjIAAAgJCwEBAAIhEU5vbmUARmlyZVdpcmUwAAAICQwBAQACIRFOb25lAEZpcmVXa

JlMQAACAkNAQEAAgsfTm9uZQBFdGhlcm5ldAAACAkOAQEAAv//Tm9uZQBBaXJwb3J0IE1pbmkgUENJIEV4cHJlc3MAAAgJDwEBAAIfHU5vbmUAQXVkaW8gTGluZSBJbgAA

AkQAQEAAh8dTm9uZQBBdWRpbyBMaW5lIE91dAAACAkRAQH/AgD/U3BlYWtlcgBOb25lAAAICRIBAf8CAP9GSEIATm9uZQAACAkTAQH/AgD/U2F0YQBOb25lAAAICRQBAf8CAP9QYXRhAE5vbmUAAAkNFQEBpQgDAwIABAZBaXJQb3J0AAAKBhYBgwFB

EkgTTU2IFZpZGVvAAAKBhcBhQFZdWtvbiBFdGhlcm5ldCBDb250cm9sbGVyAAAKBhgBhwFBemFsaWEgQ

VkaW8gQ29kZWMAAAoGGQGBAVNBVEEAAAoGGgGBAVBBVEEAAIgGGwEAAAAABCMcAQMDEQL2BgAA//vrvwGQpgDQB9AHQQQfAR0B//8ABABJbnRlbChSKSBDb3JlKFRNKTIgQ1BVICAgICAgICAgVABJbnRlbChSKSBDb3Jwb3JhdGlvbgBVMk

xAFVua25vd24AAAcTHQEBgQEAEAAQQABAAAAFBQhVbmtub3duAAAHEx4BAYABIAAgAEAAQAAABQMHVW5

bm93bgAABxMfAQGAASAAIABAAEAAAAUEB1Vua25vd24AAAQjIAEDAxEC9gYAAP/7678BkKYA0AfQB0EEIwEhAf//AAQASW50ZWwoUikgQ29yZShUTSkyIENQVSAgICAgICAgIFQASW50ZWwoUikgQ29ycG9yYXRpb24AVTJF

QBVbmtub3duAAAHEyEBAYEBABAAEEAAQAAABQUIVW5rbm93bgAABxMiAQGAASAAIABAAEAAAAUDB1Vua

5vd24AAAcTIwEBgAEgACAAQABAAAAFBAdVbmtub3duAAAQDyQBAwMDAABAAP7/AgAAABEbJQEkAf//QABAAAACCQABAhOAAJsCAwQFBkRJTU0wAEJBTksgMAAweENFMDAwMDAwMDAwMDAwMDAAMHhGNzQzN0U3

QBVbmtub3duADB4NEQzNDIwMzczMDU0MzYzNTM1MzQ0MzVBMzMyRDQzNDUzNjIwAAAUEyYBAAAAAP//BwAlASkBAQEBAAARGycBJAH//0AAQAAAAgkAAQITgACbAgMEBQZESU1NMQBCQU5LIDEAMHhDRTAwMDAwMDAwMDAwMDAwADB4Rjc0MzdFN

QAVW5rbm93bgAweDREMzQyMDM3MzA1NDM2MzUzNTM0NDM1QTMzMkQ0MzQ1MzYyMAAAFBMoAQAACAD//w8AJwEpAQICAQAAEw8pAQAAAAD//w8AJAEEAAB/BP3/AAA=</data><key>vendor</key>

<key>version</key>

<string>1.0</string>

</dict>

</dict>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>

<dict>

<key>com.apple.kernel.iokit</key>

<string>1.1</string>

<key>com.apple.kernel.libkern</key>

<string>1.1</string>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Root</string>

</dict>

</plist>

------------------------------------------------------

Cuttting of bios version is normal. It seems that your smbios is very incomplete. ioreg -lw0 ?

Here is my boot setup for an iMac5,1:

AppleSMBIOS should be vanilla including info.plist or chameleon SMBIOS patching has no effect since it's overriden by patched kext. Also com.apple.Boot.plist needs no smbios-table (it's ignored)

hi mackerintel, is there any possibility to add a UUID-key like the superhai´s smbiosresolver.kext, to fix TM?

<key>UUID-key</key>
<string>00000000-0000-1000-8000-001A4D537E2C</string>
<key>board-id</key>
<string>Mac-F42D86C8</string>

Cuttting of bios version is normal. It seems that your smbios is very incomplete. ioreg -lw0 ?

AppleSMBIOS should be vanilla including info.plist or chameleon SMBIOS patching has no effect since it's overriden by patched kext. Also com.apple.Boot.plist needs no smbios-table (it's ignored)

Well if you have the SMBIOSEFI.kext it is ignored, you just need to delete it in order to take effect all these custom configurations.