Chameleon with SMBIOS patching

mackerintel

138 posts in this topic

To compile Chameleon in Snow Leopard

sudo cp /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Kernel.framework/Headers/pexpert/i386 /usr/include/pexpert/

add -fno-stack-protector to CFLAGS on Makefile's

PS

UUID fix file for PCEFIV10.2

Thanks, but that is not exactly what I (we?) hoped for. I just want to be able to use ChameleonSM v1.0.1x something on Snow Leopard, but without the usual restart/shutdown problems.

BTW: Did you contact Netkas and/or the Chameleon team about this? If not, please do so. Thanks again :)

Edit: This problem happens only when I try to activate c-states, have no problems just defining p-states in my dsdt. So I doubt the following describes the problem I had.

When I enable vanilla speedstep I get audio stutter and blocky animations. This seems to be a clock problem with speedstep (my dsdt has the rtc fix). I was wondering since my E6750 does not get its clock values and bus values derived programmatically, must use SMmaximalclock and SMexternalclock, whether that would mess some timings say audio and dock animations.

From sysctl:

hw.cpufrequency_max: 3200000000
hw.cpufrequency_min: 3200000000
hw.cpufrequency: 3200000000
hw.busfrequency_max: 1600000000
hw.busfrequency_min: 1600000000
hw.busfrequency: 1600000000

I would expect that minimal frequency would get set at my x6 step or 2.4Ghz. If I move the mouse very fast the audio stutter goes away, maybe speedstep jumps into a higher state?

You know that applying the patch/diff gets you the complete source?

I like to comment on this one once more, and the reasons for it is that I have the source code of Chameleon v1.0.11 but looking at the provided diff file (smbios.diff) I see this:

/*==========================================================================
 * ACPI
@@ -1262,7 +1593,7 @@
/* Installs all the needed configuration table entries */
void setupEfiConfigurationTable()
{
-	addConfigurationTable(&gEfiSmbiosTableGuid, getAddressOfSmbiosTable(), NULL);
+  addConfigurationTable(&gEfiSmbiosTableGuid, getSmbios(), NULL);
 setupAcpi();
 // We've obviously changed the count.. so fix up the CRC32
 fixupEfiSystemTableCRC32(gST);

Note setupAcpi(); in this code snippet, because this call is simply not part of the Chameleon v1.0.11 source code I have here! In short my version is not the latest one! Maybe someone else has the right version for me? And if that's a yes... then please add a download link to it. Thank you very much ;)

Edit: Never mind. I simply used the source code of Chameleon RC-3 and forked it to my likings – all I want is a plain simple blistering fast boot loader, without the bells and whistles that RC-3 offers).

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to add the CPUs make and model to smbios.plist to overcome the installation checks like the one from Microsoft's silverlight installer? The clock speed itself is shown but the CPU type (Intel Core 2 Duo) is missing.

user-osx86:~ user$ system_profiler SPHardwareDataType
Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro
  Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
  Processor Speed: 3,33 GHz
  Number Of Processors: 1
  Total Number Of Cores: 2
  L2 Cache: 6 MB
  Memory: 4 GB
  Bus Speed: 1,33 GHz
  Boot ROM Version: MP31.00C1.B00
  SMC Version (system): 1.30f3
  Serial Number (system): (removed)
  Hardware UUID: (removed)

Hi, i had installed Chamaleon 2.0RC3, i'm using smbios.plist in Extra folder and I've installed AppleSMBIOS 10.5.7 cause 10.5.8 delay the boot a lot.

My problem is the Model Name & Model Identifier showed in the System Profile is fixed.. always shows MacBook Pro & MacBookPro5,1 no matter if i've changed in the smbios.plist

I think it's caused by a modified kext o something int the bootloader but i couldn't figure it out who cause the problem.

Anybody could help me?

Thanksss

Hello all. I'm trying to use /Extra/smbios.plist for the first time with SnowLeopard with latest Chameleon. Under 10.5.8 I had an older SMBIOS I was using that had my own unique UUID hard coded in the plist, a unique machine serial number hard coded in there and some information about my current memory speed. Now the format of the /Extra/smbios.plist is completely different from the old way, so I was hoping someone could help me figure out how to add my own unique UUID and serial number.

thanks

• 2 months later...
Hello all. I'm trying to use /Extra/smbios.plist for the first time with SnowLeopard with latest Chameleon. Under 10.5.8 I had an older SMBIOS I was using that had my own unique UUID hard coded in the plist, a unique machine serial number hard coded in there and some information about my current memory speed. Now the format of the /Extra/smbios.plist is completely different from the old way, so I was hoping someone could help me figure out how to add my own unique UUID and serial number.

thanks

I wouldn't know about your machine serial number, but as for the UUID you should be able to look into your user library at:

~/Library/Preferences/ByHost

There will be plists that have your UUID embedded into the file name.

If you happen to have more than one unique UUID listed in that folder (which should NOT happen, but can happen if you installed a different UUID at a later time), you should use the most recent one. The other one(s) are ignored.

MAJ

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, i'm having a bit of trouble here. I used the GUI DSDT patcher on 10.5.8 (I upgraded via Software Update) & I ran it twice. The first time it said 58 optimizations fixed, the second time it said only 57 were fixed. I can shut my laptop and it will boot back to the OS but if I select Sleep from the Apple menu and it goes to sleep and when I try and press the power button it turns on, but boots to a solid black screen. I'm using Chameleon RC 2.0 RC 4 and everything works flawlessly except this damned sleep.

PS: What do I need to post for help?

EDIT: BTW, I can close the lid, it doesn't go to sleep, its just the magnet turning off the screen. I'm using a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4656