HP 6520s, 6720s, 6820s, 550 SL Install Package

BlackCH

1,448 posts in this topic

Here you can download a zip with all the files needed for Lion:

http://www.mediafire.com/?jb8k882p4gjfg2y

Theres no installer, but is better than nothing :)

Update 18-09-2011

Lion almost 100% vanilla!

Last week ThirdSmile solved the thermal zone (active cooling) problem on our laptops running Lion. He modified the DSDT and written a new driver! (thanks! that was a hard one!)

Now everything is working great. You can grab the files here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1747344

That should work for Merom CPUs. If you have a Penryn CPU read on the thread (you need to modify the DSDT).

He and juanerson fixed the battery metering code here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1737937

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1740134

Now you can use gsly drivers to have your battery recognized. It works better than before:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1729132

All this fixes are also great for 10.6.8.

There will be soon a new 10.6.8/10.7 install package with all the new files and features.

Update 13-08-2011

For using Lion, you need to follow any of the known methods to install it.

Then add the kexts we use in SL to the System/Library/Extensions folder

To activate speedstep you will need to mod the MacBook3,1.plist inside IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources (LegacySpeedstep kext doesnt work anymore). You also might need to mod your DSDT to include Cstates. Dont forget to match the model on your smbios.plist

To avoid wireless problems add this to the smbios.plist (also required for 10.6.8)

<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F22788A9</string>

Limitations:

-To have full graphic acelleration and no mouse freezing you need to install the AppleIntelGMAx3100FB.kext from 10.6.8

-No battery meter as yet

-ACPIThermal.kext does not work with lion, so no active cooling (fan would go on only when high temperature is reached)

Recommended to use Chameleon2RC5 v.1078 or higher and need to add the flag

<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

to your boot.plist

...I'll be adding more details later

Update 06-01-2011

ThirdSmile has found a fix for native brightness control!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1614226

With this patch brightness will work 100% fine; without any glitches and without the need of GenericBrightness.kext

I´ve made an auto-patch package out of his instructions. Nevertheless read his post to know how the patch works.

It should work with 10.6.5 and 10.6.6 (and maybe older versions too)

BrightnessPatcher.zip

The Boot CD 0.3 is fully compatible with 10.6.6. Theres only need to re-patch the video kexts (for 2a12 or/and brightness).

It seems there are some problems using the boot cd with Celeron machines. Im investigating the reason and probably I will release a separate Boot CD version for Celeron CPUs.

Update 18-12-2010

Thanks to juanerson we have now a new DSDT. He has done a wonderfull job, and its so far the best DSDT version for the HP 6720s. So is very recomended to use it for any OSX version from 10.6 upwards. Here it is:

DSDT_v0.20.zip

6820 users go here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1671646

If you update only the DSDT file you need to install AppleHDADisabler.kext (included in the bootCD v0.3 package) or delete AppleHDA.kext to avoid a Kernel Panic at startup:

AppleHDADisabler.kext.zip

I´ve also built a new boot CD v0.3 fully compatible with 10.6.5 and 10.6.6 containing juenerson´s new DSDT and all the last developments that where not present in the 0.2 version. Please test it and post any bug you find:

HP 6720 Boot CD 0.3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 16-11-2010

Card Reader Legacy Driver

Andy has made a new legacy driver for Card Reader devices. They will show as internal Apple branded ones.

post-51637-1289899412_thumb.pngpost-51637-1289899434_thumb.png

You'll get a new icon instead of the generic white drive icon:

post-51637-1289899482.png

Here is the kext ready to be used. The card reader on my 6720s id Dev ID 6366:058f, check if this apply to yours too.

AnyCardReader.kext_2.zip

Update 15-11-2010

New brightness control solution for matte panels

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1583703

This is only for those who own the mate screen model and had experimenting problems with the brightness control (half of the screen is darker than the other, no linear bright control). The reason for this to happen is that the Apple brightness control embedded in the X3100 driver is writing wrong values (or values that are wrong for our screen). Now, ivik has released a generic brightness control driver and he has patched the 6720s dsdt to work with it.

You will need to add this code to your DSDT (replacing the already existing PNLF device):

Device (PNLF)
       {
           Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002"))
           Name (_CID, "backlight")
           Name (_UID, 0x0A)
           Name (_STA, 0x0B)
           Name (C1AF, Package (0x0D)
                  {
                       0x64, 
                       0x33, 
                       0x1E, 
                       0x25, 
                       0x2C, 
                       0x33, 
                       0x3A, 
                       0x41, 
                       0x48, 
                       0x4F, 
                       0x56, 
                       0x5D, 
                       0x64
                   })
                   Name (C1B0, 0x00)
                   Method (_BCL, 0, Serialized)
                   {
                       If (LAnd (LEqual (C1B0, 0x00), And (C06C, 0x10)))
                       {
                           Store (C06E, Local0)
                           Store (0x00, Local1)
                           While (LLess (Local1, 0x0B))
                           {
                               Store (DerefOf (Index (Local0, Local1)), Local2)
                               Multiply (Local2, 0x64, Local3)
                               Divide (Add (Local3, 0x7F), 0xFF, Local4, Local2)
                               Store (Local2, Index (C1AF, Add (Local1, 0x02)))
                               Increment (Local1)
                           }

Store (DerefOf (Index (C1AF, 0x05)), Index (C1AF, 0x01))
                           Store (Local2, Index (C1AF, 0x00))
                           Store (0x01, C1B0)
                       }

Return (C1AF)
                   }

Name (C1B1, 0x64)
                   Method (_BCM, 1, Serialized)
                   {

If (LGreaterEqual (Arg0, 0x1CF)) {Store (0xFFFFFF00, LEVL)} //maksimum
		Else 
		{
		If (LGreaterEqual (Arg0, 0x1B0)) {Store (0xFFFFE000, LEVL)}
		Else
		{
		If (LGreaterEqual (Arg0, 0x191)) {Store (0xFFFFD000, LEVL)}
		Else
		{
		If (LGreaterEqual (Arg0, 0x172)) {Store (0xFFFFC000, LEVL)}
		Else
		{
		If (LGreaterEqual (Arg0, 0x153)) {Store (0xFFFFB000, LEVL)}
		Else
		{
		If (LGreaterEqual (Arg0, 0x134)) {Store (0xFFFFA000, LEVL)}
		Else
		{
		If (LGreaterEqual (Arg0, 0x115)) {Store (0xFFFF9000, LEVL)}
		Else
		{
		If (LGreaterEqual (Arg0, 0xF6)) {Store (0xFFFF8000, LEVL)}
		Else
		{
		If (LGreaterEqual (Arg0, 0xD7)) {Store (0xFFFF7000, LEVL)}
		Else
		{
		If (LGreaterEqual (Arg0, 0xB8)) {Store (0xFFFF6000, LEVL)}
		Else
		{
		If (LGreaterEqual (Arg0, 0x99)) {Store (0xFFFF5000, LEVL)}
		Else
		{
		If (LGreaterEqual (Arg0, 0x7A)) {Store (0xFFFF4000, LEVL)}
		Else
		{
		If (LGreaterEqual (Arg0, 0x5B)) {Store (0xFFFF3000, LEVL)}
		Else
		{
		If (LGreaterEqual (Arg0, 0x3C)) {Store (0xFFFF2000, LEVL)}
		Else
		{
		If (LGreaterEqual (Arg0, 0x1D)) {Store (0xFFFF1000, LEVL)}
		Else {Store (0xFFFF0000, LEVL)}
		}
		}
		}
	        }	
		}	
		}
		}
	        }
		}					
		}
		}
		}
		} 

}				

}

Method (_BQC, 0, Serialized)
                   {
                       Store (C1B1, Local0)
                       Return (Local0)
                   }

}

And this before the first 'Scope (\_SB)' section you find (starting from the top of dsdt file):

OperationRegion (BRIT, SystemMemory, 0xE4461254, 0x04)
Field (BRIT, AnyAcc, Lock, Preserve)
{
	LEVL,   32
}

Compile and replace your old DSDT.aml file

Then you need to install this kext:

GenericBrightness.kext.zip

Run kextutility once, then reboot.

This is working on my screen (IDs 4445:4ca3). So check your screen model before anything because it might not work with a different screen (test it)

Limitations: ivik driver corrects the brightness after the apple driver has written it, so you will see it on screen (wrong brightness setting first, and then the right one). I know is not perfect but far better to other solutions I tried before. The other thing is that the screen will be dark after sleep (probably it can be fixed) so you need to press the brightness keys to bring it back after sleep.

Last step will be to remap the FN keys so you can use them (in my case I had the same key for Eject/Bright Up). Try this patched version of FunctionFlip (courtesy of Prasys):

FunctionFlip_1.prefPane_Patched.zip (it seems to crash on my setup; please test it)

Or better, read the post in his blog on how to make your keyboard work better.

Update 13-11-2010

A couple of days ago Apple released 10.6.5 update. You can apply this update directly from Apple servers or downloading the update combo. But you will need to update some kexts too.

Juanerson has already done the work, so you can download his 10.6.5 kext pack here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1580664

Update 7-11-2010

Native Apple BCM Bluetooth driver:

Andy has created a Legacy kext to get Broadcom Bluetooth chips recognized as Apple native bluetooth. Apparently with this driver you will get a more stable connection and faster speeds. I've shortly tested and looks fine. Judgeing for the IOReg, the new driver adds many features otherwise missing when you use the generic USBBluetooth driver. Check Andy's thread here

post-51637-1289123260_thumb.png

Before (Generic USB Bluetooth driver):

post-51637-1289127166_thumb.png

After (Apple Bluetooth driver):

post-51637-1289127277_thumb.png

Im posting here the kexts with the right device/vendor (171D:03F0) IDs:

BroadcomAppleBluetooth.kext.zip

Should be used in /Extra/Extensions/

Check if the device/vendor IDs are the same for your machine: Go to SystemProfiler/USB/HP integrated module. There you should see both IDs, then convert it from hex to decimal and insert them in the plist (x3 times).

Update 1-11-2010

6720s WiFi whithelist hacked!

The main problem to replace the wifi card for a OSX compatible one has always been the HP BIOS whitelist check (basically it checks if your card is HP branded and if is not it wont let you boot). TTAV134 at mydigitallife forums has released a serie hacked BIOSes for many HP models including our 6720s (thanks juanerson for providing the link!!). Once you flash this particular version you can plug any mini-PCIe card you want (even a original Apple one). The BIOS also have a SLIC2.1 table and SLP 'on' for Windows 7 OEM activation (it auto-activates, no need of loaders, etc).

Yushir and myself we both have used the DOS flash procedure succesfully.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. If this is done wrong you can brick your computer

6720s_Hacked_BIOS_Flash_Package.zip (6720s only!!)

Update 9-06-2010

10.6.4 is good to go!

post-51637-1276116074_thumb.png

Only need to replace the Legacy speedstep kext on /Extra/Extensions with the one you'll find here and the ones with a GMAx3100 2a12 must re-apply the patch

Update 11-05-2010

Due the last developements (thanks juanerson!) I've put together a new Install Pack. Consist in a Boot CD with all drivers you need for a 10.6.3 retail installation. Very easy to use; you just need a 10.6 retail disc and a 10.6.3 combo update

Download (for 10.6 retail disc only)

Dont forget to read the included README! And off course Im interested to know if it work as it should or not, so please let me know how it went.

And for the ones that have 10.6 already installed here are the separated files:

The lastest DSDT file based in juanerson's one with sleep support

dsdt_v0.09_generic.dsl.zip (updated 30-05-2010)

I've slimmed down (and added a few mods) the original file posted by juanerson HERE. My mod has half the size of the original and the IOReg tree would look cleaner. Theres no gain/lost on performance that I've noticed yet.

For more details see the CHANGE LOG at the end of the .dsl file.

If you want to customize your P-States (add steps/undervolting) you need to add them to the DSDT file and recompile it. Otherwise you will be using the factory default P-States contained on the SSDT tables

-Extra Folder with all necessary kexts and files

Extra.zip

-Kexts that goes into /System/Library/Extensions folder

Extensions.zip

-Sleepwatcher installer (auto unload/load ACPIThermal.kext before/after sleep)

SleepWatcher.zip

-GMAx3100 2a12 patcher

2a12Patcher.zip

-Alternative brightness control

http://www.mediafire.com/?mjz5vvmj14i

All these are Installer packages, if you need a particular single file please use Pacifist.app to extract it. For more details about the included files please see the README that comes with the boot CD.

To get auto-sleep working you probably need some extra app like PleaseSleep (It works for me) or RIP.app suggested by yushir on post #301

Limitations and bugs:

-32 bit mode only (if you want everything to work)

-If the machine uses other than a GMAX3100 ID 2a02 could be problematic to set it up. In that case check this thread for alternative install method. Boot CD v0,2 is now compatible with GMAX3100 ID 2a12

-Native brightness control works properly for some and for some doesnt. This depends on the display model (the screen or backlight inverter itself) the computer has. A non-native workaround solution for this on post #418 (brightness binary + Keyboard Maestro app)

-No mirror display (extended display works fine though)

-Open the lid doesnt wake up the machine. We belive this is a hardware limitation as it behaves the same in windows.

-Sleep doesnt work when a card is plugged onto the card reader slot (instant wake-up) Fix by juanerson will appear in coming DSDT versions

-Some FN keys do not work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 12-11-2009

New dsdt:

HP6720s_dsdt_3.1.dsl.zip

-PATA fix; no more kernel panic with vanilla IOATAFamily.kext when Native SATA is enabled in BIOS

-Some unused devices removed

Update 25-09-2009

Hi everyone. I wanted to share my last DSDT file.

dsdt.aml.zip (compiled)

HP6720s_dsdt_24_9_09.dsl.zip (uncompiled,in case you want to change something)

The most important thing is that fixes the IRQ conflicts between HPET and USB. Now you can load AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext without loosing USB, therefore you can start using native SpeedStep (yes, it works). For this you need to remove any disabler.kext, nullCPUPM.kext, etc so the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext actually loads. Go to: http://www.osx86.es/?p=563 for more details on how to get SpeedStep working. Nevertheless I found CoolBook2 much better than native speedstep; more cpu speeds (all B/2 half bus speeds), on-the-fly undervolting, temperature/speed monitor....all in one. Probably the performance isnt as good as with native speedstep, but the temperatures are a lot lower.

The file includes all old fixes and some new like SATA, PATA devices, ADP1 fix (now you see AppleACPIACadapter attached to it)... This file DOES NOT contain Cstate or Pstates injection. This is only necessary if you want to add more steps to the ones on the SSDT tables.

The 6720s is very similar to the MacBook 3,1. My 6720 has a T7250 CPU, and some of the SSDT tables are almost the same. It might be possible to even load the macbook DSDT (with some modifications).

I really recommend to switch to Snow Leopard; is way much faster. Leopard was a drag on this computer, but with SL everything is faster, theres less CPU load, GUI is snappier. Only downside is sleep support isnt working anymore, and we can run 32 bit kernel mode only (mainly because the GMAx3100 drivers are 32 bit only; we can still run 64 bit applications anyway)

Here is the compete pack of kexts and files Im using (SNOW LEOPARD ONLY!!):

http://www.mediafire.com/?zqyzneaozl2

These kext will give you:

-Sound (VoodooHDA.kext, prefPane and helper files. Mic, headphones, speakers). You need to add the 'helper' file to your startup items in order to restore headphones and mic levels at boot. Also NEED to REMOVE AppleHDA.kext!

EDIT: with this package: get__rid__the_console_voodoohdahelper.zip you dont need to worry about start items no more. Follow the instructions inside

-Keyboard & trackpad support (VoodooPS2.kext and prefPane, two finger scrolling, etc)

-AHCI SATA support (patched IOATAFamily.kext, otherwise you get a kernel panic if you have AHCI enabled in the BIOS)

-Ethernet (Intel82566MM.kext)

-Battery meter (AppleACPIBatteryManager)

-Fan thermal control (AppleACPIThermal.kext inside provided AppleACPIPlatform.kext)

-Native speedstep (Legacy ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin)

-Mac-like device names on the IO-reg (DSDT.aml file)

post-51637-1253958265_thumb.png

Model is set to Macbook3,1 (thats the most similar Mac)

Update 29-12-2008

I've manage to add quite a lot of fixes on the DSDT.aml file: UHCI, EHCI (proper sleep), backlight control, Ethernet fix (for timemachine, filesharing, etc), GFX (proper x3100 DSDT entry), PWRB (powerbutton device entry)....

Download:

6720s_DSDT_Fixed.zip

DSDT.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Ok!, finally we got a good dsdt dump (unknown BIOS version); But it compiles fine!

Thanks to JackHair for provide it!!

So I attach here the original dump dsdt.bin and the decompiled dsdt.dsl (both untouched); also a modded DSDT.aml which if placed in / , will take care (hopefully) of correcting HPET and RTC devices. You need to use chameleon with DSDT override feature or PC-EFI v9 to load this .aml file....

HP6720s_dsdt.zip

Hallou, can i ask you do you have the X1300 mobilty working in your 6820s ? and how did you get the lan, sound and wifi drivers, i`m searching but can`t find any info about that. I will apreciate if you can get me some directions. I just get the ideneb 10.5.5 but i get only plain setup without devices.

what is the sound chip inside the 6820s ? the hp page says nothing,

for the lan it says plain intel 10/100 Nic and no info for the Wireless

is the battery working for you ?

Thank you.

Ok! I got brightness control working. You need to use FunctionFlip pref pane to assign new 'F' keys since 'FN+F7' wont work. Just copy the dsdt file to your root; and if you were using ClamshellDisplay.kext remove it (I was using this kext so the screen goes off when you close the lid, now with the fixed dsdt is not needed anymore!)....

The brightness doesnt change smooth yet; but Im sure is matter of inject the right info on the AppleBacklight.kext or maybe even in the DSDT file. Enjoy and share

Bightness_Control.zip

HP Compaq 6720s -Core2Duo T7250 (both cores working), i965, 2048 DDR2 667 - Toshiba 160GB SATA (AHCI - ICH8-M)//GMAx3100 (QE/CI/DualScreen/ResChange - without natit after GraphicUpdate)//Bluetooth, Broadcom 4311 Wireless (Dell 1390-PC559 b/g miniPCIe card - SPROM hacked/whitelisted)//MemoryCard reader, ADI1981 HD integrated audio (speaker out only with ovof kext)//Intel 82562GT ethernet//add-ons: Edirol UA-1EX USB Audio, Apple USB Ethernet Adapter, Firewire ExpressCard/34

FIXED HP Compaq 6520s, 6720s, 6820s DSDT______XxX_OS_x86_10.5.5_Install_Disk

Were 6720s two cores working out of the box?

You have an extended desktop with dual screen?

I have hp nx9420 and there is no way to get these two things working.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok!, finally we got a good dsdt dump (unknown BIOS version); But it compiles fine!

Thanks to JackHair for provide it!!

So I attach here the original dump dsdt.bin and the decompiled dsdt.dsl (both untouched); also a modded DSDT.aml which if placed in / , will take care (hopefully) of correcting HPET and RTC devices. You need to use chameleon with DSDT override feature or PC-EFI v9 to load this .aml file....

Great work! but Can you please tell me step by step after standard Chameleon install what I have to do to get brightness control working?

Thanks.

Great work! but Can you please tell me step by step after standard Chameleon install what I have to do to get brightness control working?

Thanks.

After you installed Chameleon, download the Chameleon with DSDT loader here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=132757

Replace the file "boot" with the chameleon file from the topic. (rename it to boot)

Then you just copy the DSDT.aml from this topic to the root of your Mac drive, and reboot.

After reboot you have to set some keys to control brightness with the FunctionFlip pref pane, and use those keys to control your brightness!

Good luck!

Mike

After you installed Chameleon, download the Chameleon with DSDT loader here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=132757

Replace the file "boot" with the chameleon file from the topic. (rename it to boot)

Then you just copy the DSDT.aml from this topic to the root of your Mac drive, and reboot.

After reboot you have to set some keys to control brightness with the FunctionFlip pref pane, and use those keys to control your brightness!

Good luck!

Mike

thanks it works with my 6720s but I think is not ready yet because my screen as the other people is half dimmed so guys great starting point, I can't believe that I can dim my monitor! Go straight on this way guys!

I don't have the problem that only half the screen dims. For me it works now just like under Windows and Linux.

Maybe it depends on the "distro" you installed. I installed retail with boot-132 method, and I boot from EFI partition to the installled OS.

Mike

Edit:

The best thing about this is that my battery makes it up to 3 hours now (like Windows and Linux), instead of the 1:15 hours without dimmed display.

How did you install your Retail DVD? When I boot from the DVD (using boot132) method i get some read errors because of my IDE DVD drive... is there a way to 'cut down' the Retail DVD so i can 'burn' it to my 4GB USB stick?

edit:// can you please post your boot-132 image or tell where you got yours from?

I don't have the problem that only half the screen dims. For me it works now just like under Windows and Linux.

Maybe it depends on the "distro" you installed. I installed retail with boot-132 method, and I boot from EFI partition to the installled OS.

Mike

Edit:

The best thing about this is that my battery makes it up to 3 hours now (like Windows and Linux), instead of the 1:15 hours without dimmed display.

Which laptop do you have? CPU? GFX? mine is the one in signature

How did you install your Retail DVD? When I boot from the DVD (using boot132) method i get some read errors because of my IDE DVD drive... is there a way to 'cut down' the Retail DVD so i can 'burn' it to my 4GB USB stick?

edit:// can you please post your boot-132 image or tell where you got yours from?

I used the standard iso from the boot-132 topic. I also get a few read errors when the DVD starts loading, but this doesn't seem to be a problem, the install works fine.

Which laptop do you have? CPU? GFX? mine is the one in signature

I also have a HP 6720s, with Celeron M 530(? (1.733 Mhz)) and Intel X3100 GFX (devID 2a12)

Does not work for me ... after some minutes the DVD spins down and then nothing happens. Before the DVD spins down, there are only SAM Multimedia Errors.

Need to get an USB<->SATA Adapter ....

It's somewhat offtopic but I made an iso of the boot-132 disk i used. You can dl it here: http://rapidshare.com/files/170398164/track1.zip.html

If it does boot with this, you'll need an USB-mouse during install. ps2 kext and nub don't seem to get loaded properly from the CD. The trackpad does work after I setup to boot from EFI partition.

To get back on-topic.

Maybe my brightness control works correctly because I use the X3100 drivers from the last Macbook update?

I think it depends on the display panel model.... the key might be tweaking the values in the applebacklight.kext; I've tryed but no results so far

I will try the macbook update's drivers to see if change anything

edit:

Nevermind, those kexts dont make any difference

It's somewhat offtopic but I made an iso of the boot-132 disk i used. You can dl it here: http://rapidshare.com/files/170398164/track1.zip.html

If it does boot with this, you'll need an USB-mouse during install. ps2 kext and nub don't seem to get loaded properly from the CD. The trackpad does work after I setup to boot from EFI partition.

To get back on-topic.

Maybe my brightness control works correctly because I use the X3100 drivers from the last Macbook update?

Hi,

I'm just checkin' If I can get brightness control as you and I am going to reinstall with the boot-132 method.

One question: why the original boot-132 doens't work and yours work? the only difference I see is that you inserted dsmos.kext....is it right?