[Install] Dell Latitude E6400 E6500

Pratician

406 posts in this topic

Same issue still. I'm Running an E6400. Are you guys on E6500s? I thought i read that the 160m was slightly different. Load up a screen saver, do the flurry and just do a test and see if it runs as smooth as the animation says it should. Mine didn't. Mine chops all over the place, even with EFI string only and NVinject gone (which i just tried). Also, i'll try this later to confirm - but i couldn't play native video files (but you tube worked fine) no matter the player - thats probably related. The easiest thing to test though is the Flurry screensaver.

phoenix3200, I'm trying to follow your guide in getting the sleep to work, I have a e6400 and I tried to install sleepenabler.kext (from your post) and the iousbfamily.kext (from Slice's post) but the sleepenabler.kext says it's missing some dependency ( I see this through booting with -v). Please help, i really want sleep to work on this machine. Thank You! Hi Pilott, how did you set up sleep to work on 10.5.6? Can you give me what you installed? which kernel? etc. Is it possible you guys can do a step by step tutorial? or anything is fine.

Big thanks for Fredde for his KEXTs. I used Chameleon RC3 with PC_EFI 10.2 and was able to install SL to my external USB drive and boot off that. MUCH easier than 10.5.8...

Keyboard, trackpoint, and touchpad (no scroll) all work out of the box! My Bluetooth mouse connected using the DellBluetoothHCI.kext. Wifi works (Dell 1397, had to use a shell script-google Broadcom 4311 script). no QE/CI w/ Fredde's NVinjectGo. Removed that and now it is working with Chameleon autodetect (GraphicsEnabler=Yes). Time Machine, battery indicator, everything else good!

Outstanding Issues:

Sound: works but no volume control (edit: can't turn off) and no internal mic. I have tried VoodooHDA 0.2.1 and 0.2.2 without improvement. Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Sleep/Restart/Shutdown: don't work but I can live with it for now...

arm1tage,

I actually remote NVInject from the Extra's folder. The EFI in apple.boot.plist works for me. But, in system profile, it doesnt even show about QI/C. What did you do to get it work w/ QI/c ? Thanks

I deleted all injectors and enablers such as NVinject, NVdarwin, etc... and edited /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist with

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>y</string>

That was all it took, and now System Profiler shows graphics correctly as Quadro NVS 160M and Doomi's Flurry screensaver test works. Or if you have translucent menu bar QE/CI should be enabled. This is with Chameleon RC3 and PC_EFI 10.2, I don't know if it works with earlier versions...

I Can attest to Chameleon RC3 w/ boot.plist setting fixing the graphics card. An even simpler test to see if OSX is correctly viewing your card is - Do i have all of the screen savers? Prior to this, all i had was Flurry and Pictures...now i have Word of the Day, etc.

I too have noticed The audio not REALLY listening to the controls. It's nice that it uh, works - but it'd be better if we could get it actually working. It's my understanding two of the big things people are scrambling to fix in SL is Sleep and Audio (at least, if the Mini 9 is any indication).

w00t! I finally got sleep to work on Snow Leopard. I'm using 10.6 SL on an E6400. I used Zpilot's IOUSBFamily.kext from his kext.dmg.zip that was posted earlier on this topic. I backed up the original IOUSBfamily.kext from SL and put Zpilot's IOUSBfamily.kext in S/L/E. The only problem i'm having is the when I sleep and wake up with a USB device I'll get an error saying "device has been remove..blah blah.." I saw a DSDT patch fix for that, if anyone knows how to do it please tell me. I'm using all of Freddy's KEXT + ATY_INit instead of nvinject.

w00t! I finally got sleep to work on Snow Leopard. I'm using 10.6 SL on an E6400. I used Zpilot's IOUSBFamily.kext from his kext.dmg.zip that was posted earlier on this topic. I backed up the original IOUSBfamily.kext from SL and put Zpilot's IOUSBfamily.kext in S/L/E. The only problem i'm having is the when I sleep and wake up with a USB device I'll get an error saying "device has been remove..blah blah.." I saw a DSDT patch fix for that, if anyone knows how to do it please tell me. I'm using all of Freddy's KEXT + ATY_INit instead of nvinject.

I wasn't able to get this to work. My system acts like it is going to sleep - goes black for a moment, and then comes back. When it re-awakens all my network interfaces are worthless, and some boots (there didn't seem to a rhyme or reason) the interfaces (Lan and Wifi) wouldn't work even without sleeping it. I am running Cham RC3 letting it Auto Detect my Graphics Card, and with Freedy's kexts on 10.6.1.

Ideas?

I wasn't able to get this to work. My system acts like it is going to sleep - goes black for a moment, and then comes back. When it re-awakens all my network interfaces are worthless, and some boots (there didn't seem to a rhyme or reason) the interfaces (Lan and Wifi) wouldn't work even without sleeping it. I am running Cham RC3 letting it Auto Detect my Graphics Card, and with Freedy's kexts on 10.6.1.

Ideas?

Hey Doomi,

Yes; I just updated to 10.6.1 and my sleep doesn't work anymore with Zpilot's IOUSBFamily.kext. This is my system configuration:

Chameleon 2 RC1

PC_EFI Boot 10.2

ATY_Init instead of NVinject

and all of Freddy's Kext,

So I think we should move back to 10.6 to get sleep. I figured out another problem, if I let it sleep for a long time (let's say one night) when it wakes up the USB doesn't work anymore. I'm not sure what to do about this issue. I'll figure something out.

Hi Fredde,

Do you mind to provide a compilation of steps by steps that you make your E6500 work? I am still waiting to receive my E6500. Once i receive it i would like to try to install Snow Leopard. Now i reading through the posts. I got confuse.

And look at the guide, seem like i need to have a working OSX 10.5 installed. Can anyone point me to a guide that i can do a fresh install with the retail Snow Leopard Disk and also dual boot with Window 7 on E6500?

And do anyone have any recommendation of USB wifi that will work on snow leopard?

I know i post a lot of questions. But i am newbie in hackintosh. Thanks for any help.

Hi, yes when I had a working system I was running everything from one partition (kext, boot etc). I actually used Chameleon RC2 as I downloaded it by accident and it worked fine for me so I never downgraded. Need PC_EFI though on top of that to boot SL.

I was forced to reformat my whole hard drive as I stupidly thought I could reinstall Vista on a spare GPT partition (need for work). So I am redoing it now, but this time I am using a seperate partition for Chameleon and my kexts. I am struggling a bit to be honest as they wont all load from there for some reason. I also did a backup of all my kexts from my working install, however I dont really understand why but I had a look at the memory stick I copied my whole /System/Library/Extension folder to and they only contains the kexts starting with the letter A. However I have a pretty good memory of where I got everything from. So I am literally reinstall them all now and will post them here when I have it all up and working again. I even have Shutdown/Restart working now which I didnt before, however still no sleep.

Update: Ok got almost everything working now. Here is my Extra folder which i have on a separate partition with Chameleon on. Please note it includes some kexts from SL (/S/L/E) which is needed as dependencies for some of the kexts, in the future after a software upgrade you might need to copy them from /S/L/E to the /E/E folder).

However my shutdown/restart has stopped working again! I have however tracked the cause down to the graphics, regardless if I use my EFI string or NVinjectGo it will hang. If I remove both though so I get the standard 1024x768 then it shuts down/reboots fine. Anyone got a fix for this? Will look at Sleep now. Here is my summery so far,

Quadro NVS 160M 256: YES (Using either a EFI string or NVinjectGo)

Bluetooth: YES

Wifi (Intel 5100 a/g/n): NO (Ordered a Dell 1397 which I have been told works out of the box)

Sound: YES

LAN : YES

KeyBoard: YES (32 bit only)

KB BackLight and Screen Auto-Luminosity: YES

TouchPad: YES

TrackPad: YES

BatteryIndicator: YES

Sleep: NO

Shutdown/Restart: NO (Works if graphics are disabled)

DVD-RW: YES

FireWire: YES

Motherboard Chipset: YES

USB: Yes

So only really Sleep/Shutdown/Reboot I have to fix now. Also I dont know if this is normal but my graphics doesnt actually say if it supports QE or CI in the System Profile, it is not even displayed there as either Supported or Not. However XBench does successfully display the patterns on the QE and OpenGL test, does that mean it is actually working?

Hey Doomi,

Yes; I just updated to 10.6.1 and my sleep doesn't work anymore with Zpilot's IOUSBFamily.kext. This is my system configuration:

Chameleon 2 RC1

PC_EFI Boot 10.2

ATY_Init instead of NVinject

and all of Freddy's Kext,

So I think we should move back to 10.6 to get sleep. I figured out another problem, if I let it sleep for a long time (let's say one night) when it wakes up the USB doesn't work anymore. I'm not sure what to do about this issue. I'll figure something out.

Just so you guys know on my E6400 Snow Leopard 10.6.1, sleep still works with Zpilot's IOUSBFamily.kext.

I'm booting from EFI partition with Chameleon 2 RC3. In addition, USB still works after waking up but with the warning that it has been unplugged and then it reconnect.

Edit: Wifi works after waking up but not the on board NIC

Just so you guys know on my E6400 Snow Leopard 10.6.1, sleep still works with Zpilot's IOUSBFamily.kext.

I'm booting from EFI partition with Chameleon 2 RC3. In addition, USB still works after waking up but with the warning that it has been unplugged and then it reconnect.

Edit: Wifi works after waking up but not the on board NIC

You have accelerated graphics, 10.6.1 and sleep? Are you using the vanilla kernel?

Yes, Vanilla and using Chameleon RC3 GraphicsEnabled switch.

Could you also post your smbios.plist and com.apple.boot.plist files?

Anybody know the info to put in my SMBIOS to make it recognize as a MacBook Pro?

I'll post my current SL experience in the SL forum shortly.

Could you also post your smbios.plist and com.apple.boot.plist files?

Anybody know the info to put in my SMBIOS to make it recognize as a MacBook Pro?

I'll post my current SL experience in the SL forum shortly.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">'>http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=x86</string>

<string>boot-uuid=8AE50DF2-D2B7-39C9-A10C-10F79DA478FF</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

</dict>

</plist>

AND

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>MP31.88Z.00C1.B00.0802091544</string>

<key>SMmanufacter</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMmemmanufacter_1</key>

<string>0xAD00000000000000</string>

<key>SMmemmanufacter_2</key>

<key>SMmemmanufacter_3</key>

<key>SMmemmanufacter_4</key>

<key>SMmempart_1</key>

<string>0x48594D503131325336344350362D59352020</string>

<key>SMmempart_2</key>

<key>SMmempart_3</key>

<key>SMmempart_4</key>

<key>SMmemserial_1</key>

<string>0x00001020</string>

<key>SMmemserial_2</key>

<string>0x00003021</string>

<key>SMmemserial_3</key>

<key>SMmemserial_4</key>

<key>SMmemspeed</key>

<string>800</string>

<key>SMmemtype</key>

<string>19</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacPro3,1</string>

<key>SMserial</key>

<string>W87234JHYA4</string>

<key>SMsystemversion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

<key>SMUUID</key>

<string>8AE50DF2-D2B7-39C9-A10C-10F79DA478FF</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Hmmm. Even using your Extra folder i cannot sleep. I literally removed anything i had going, and placed your dsdt, extensions (rebuilt the mkext), smbios(editted the UUID there and in the UUIDenabler kext) and still cannot get this to sleep. When i tell it to sleep via the apple logo it powers down and acts like it's about to- then wakes back up, with the eth0 interface worthless upon waking. Am i missing something?

Hmmm. Even using your Extra folder i cannot sleep. I literally removed anything i had going, and placed your dsdt, extensions (rebuilt the mkext), smbios(editted the UUID there and in the UUIDenabler kext) and still cannot get this to sleep. When i tell it to sleep via the apple logo it powers down and acts like it's about to- then wakes back up, with the eth0 interface worthless upon waking. Am i missing something?

I'm getting the same result.

Are we sure we aren't using something like VoodooPower to make sleep work?

Doomi, I'm not sure how your's are set up but try to copy the IOUSB to System\Library\Extensions. Run the mkext utility, reboot and try it.

tried that as well. No dice.

Edit -

So uh, it does work. Odd. The only difference i can think of offhand is my work dock with it's external monitor/handful of usb devices.

Whats everyone elses' setup?

I'm actually about to upload a youtube video to show that it works. I guess no need for it. Glad you got it to work.

I also test it with 1 USB stick plugged in and it still sleep but when it wakes up it says that it was unplugged but then i reconnects after that.

One other random, anal, perhaps bad thing i do - is install kexts using kext helper and then run the kext utility. (so that ponjop's extensions folder for extra...is also installed to wherever KH puts it. S/L/E it would appear)

So...Moving on to working audio....my system audio is always at loudest and i have to dial down whatever the applications i'm using are.(adjusting the system audio does nothing. Muting, or anywhere in between.) I've tried the Voodoo audio and corresponding syspref tray, to no avail. I'm also running all the same kexts as ponjop - and still have the same issue.