AppleVIAATA over 4gb RAM bug solved (at least i believe so)! JMicron and AppleNForceATA at development

• Please log in to reply
569 replies to this topic

RyanThaDude29

RyanThaDude29

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
This also fixed my issue as well. Kudos! :)

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,527 posts
  • Interests:At home, I have the following computers......
    >
    >
    >
Hi slashack,

Just wanted to say thanks for your great nForceATA driver......I previously had to run with maxmem=3027 to avoid KPs but with Voodoo Beta 2C kernel and your kext, I have been running about 10 hours so far without a kernel panic using 6GB RAM

Attached File  6GB_Slashack_NForceATA_MEMTEST.tiff   65.34KB   67 downloads

Mysticus C* is incorporating it in a convenient installer & 10.5.5 Combo updater patch...... :)

slashack

slashack

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Hi,

Aded dev id in your debug jmicron kext, kext is loaded but still dosent work :thumbsup_anim:
Going to try on VIAATA

L.E It works with viaata :rolleyes:
But... there is no hotplug, have to boot with hdd connected...
Well it works, and i have 4gb of ram on my lappie...just need to figure out how to enable ahci/hotplug, or better maybe u can add support for me on jmicronata.
Thats it for now, will report back after more tests...

I can think of two solutions to your problem. I don't know how hotplug works in osx, but we can try this:
1 - Boot with your hdd unplugged.
2- Plug in your hdd.
3- Open a terminal and run:
sudo kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext
4- Now check if hdd is there or if something happened.

The other thing we can try is to add support for your dev id to JMicronATA.kext (i have to add it to the Info.plist and to the driver itself). But I cannot confirm that this might work at all. And if it works, we should pray to some god for the original JMicronATA.kext to support hotplug. Try the first and tell me what happened, if that doesn't work, then we'll try the praying and all that stuff.

THe KiNG

THe KiNG

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 674 posts
[codebox]kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext appears to be loadable
kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext is already loaded
[/codebox]
And nothing happen....
Maybe second choice will work.

Thanks

Caelor

Caelor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Just wanted to say that the nForce kext seems to be working without problems for me - the KPs have vanished, and I've been able to reinstall the memory I'd removed... It's been used for several days without a panic now!

pauℓzurrr.

pauℓzurrr.

Paul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
I also can tell that the nForce kext is working with 4 Gb here without any problem :)

tinolupin

tinolupin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
work with 4gb ram on GA-P35-DS3R and 2x Pioneer 115D

Thanks!

THe KiNG

THe KiNG

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 674 posts

The other thing we can try is to add support for your dev id to JMicronATA.kext (i have to add it to the Info.plist and to the driver itself). But I cannot confirm that this might work at all. And if it works, we should pray to some god for the original JMicronATA.kext to support hotplug. Try the first and tell me what happened, if that doesn't work, then we'll try the praying and all that stuff.

So any chance to try a new j-micronata.kext?

Thanks

Astronomy

Astronomy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
I have not been adding posts to threads for one simple reason, it clouds up the expert advice/solutions with endless dribble to sift through when seeking answers, BUT... I HAVE TO REPLY TO THIS!!!

I have a Gigabyte GA-MA770-S3 (AMD X2 4600+ with 2x800mhz 1gb Sticks and 2x1066mhz 2gb Sticks with a GeForce 8800GTS 320mb, using LawlessPPC 10.5.4 install) and was having significant troubles gaining system stability after upgrading to 6gb memory. I have been reading through MANY posts over the last week or so and have had many MANY kernel panics...

I *just* stabilized my system by downloading your fixed AppleVIAATA (I utilized the boot flag -v debug=0x100 to make certain which kext was causing the KP first**) and after one mishap (just loaded it and rebooted) I learned that I must add my Device ID into the info.plist and after doing so I booted with your fix to find a STABLE SYSTEM.

To test my system I opened up many applications (Adobe Illustrator, Flash, AE, MS Word, Vuse, iTunes, Mozilla (5 saved tabs - from researching this solution), Adium, Logic Pro (and even recored 2 tracks of simple chords & scales), and could only get my computer to hit ~2.6gb used... this was not enough for me to believe in the stability even though I had previously seen panics after breaking only 2.1gb used. I went into After Effects and dropped a 30sec video in twice, staggered them on the timeline, removed any built-in resource restrictions and slammed the render button and watched my memory usage climb all the way to 5.99gb used and maintained fluid graphics on the Dock as well as flawless and responsive application switching during the render.

You, sir, are an absolute genious and I thank you for your awesome work!

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,879 posts

So any chance to try a new j-micronata.kext?

Thanks

I see that in the code of JM V0.6 date 16.10.2008 your DEV ID is already included (use that not the modded APPLEVIAATA)!
http://code.google.c...ronATAPCIRoot.h
So try that and perhaps check also if its in the .plist.

Embio

Embio

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
mine has a fascinating problem. if I install the kext while OS X is running, the drives appear and I can even boot Windows form an IDE drive within VMware (it automagically shows up as Boot Camp!). The only thing that didn't work was burning CDs. the machine was up for 3 days seemingly without issue, but once I restarted it would kernel panic. If I remove the kext and reboot again, it starts as normal.

what did I do wrong?

THe KiNG

THe KiNG

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 674 posts

I see that in the code of JM V0.6 date 16.10.2008 your DEV ID is already included (use that not the modded APPLEVIAATA)!
http://code.google.c...ronATAPCIRoot.h
So try that and perhaps check also if its in the .plist.

Tried latest driver from jmicron ftp, added dev id in plist still no luck, that was the reason to ask for this one, plus I have 4GB of ram on my lappie...
Dunno what source used slashack...
I will wait for him to come back

slashack

slashack

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Tried latest driver from jmicron ftp, added dev id in plist still no luck, that was the reason to ask for this one, plus I have 4GB of ram on my lappie...
Dunno what source used slashack...
I will wait for him to come back

Sorry for the delay, i had a busy week.
Here it is:
JMicronATA.kext (JMB360)

Try it, be carefull, remove AppleVIAATA.kext or any other driver u are using that matches 0x2360197b devid

I'll be waiting for your answer...

mine has a fascinating problem. if I install the kext while OS X is running, the drives appear and I can even boot Windows form an IDE drive within VMware (it automagically shows up as Boot Camp!). The only thing that didn't work was burning CDs. the machine was up for 3 days seemingly without issue, but once I restarted it would kernel panic. If I remove the kext and reboot again, it starts as normal.

what did I do wrong?

What kext? What device do you have? More info? Any dump?

THe KiNG

THe KiNG

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 674 posts

Sorry for the delay, i had a busy week.
Here it is:
JMicronATA.kext (JMB360)

Try it, be carefull, remove AppleVIAATA.kext or any other driver u are using that matches 0x2360197b devid

I'll be waiting for your answer...

Hi,

New driver you posted works as appleviaata, w/o hotplug, seems that my problem is BIOS since I can't set j-micron in ahci mode(from what I seen on windows is set as raid -JRAID, dunno why it works on win..maybe its the win driver, it detect if u boot from it and set it as internal and as external if its used as extra hdd dunno...) and hotplug is an ahci feature...
Anyway it works with j-micron ;)
I will try to mess with BIOS and see if I can do something..
Will keep you informed abut progress...

Thanks again!

L.E. I forgot to tell you that with j-micron works as ATA and not as SATA like with appleviaata...maybe you can do something about that.
From system.log:
Oct 31 06:58:20 localhost kernel[0]: JMicronATA: JMB360 (CMD 0xc800, CTR 0xc480, IRQ 16, BM 0xc408)Oct 31 06:58:20 localhost kernel[0]: JMicronATA: JMB360 (CMD 0xcc00, CTR 0xc880, IRQ 16, BM 0xc400)
Posted Image

Weird, before I use this kext(or via one) I got on boot the msg: "AppleIntelPIIXPATA: Secondary PCI IDE channel is disabled", now the messg is gone... :(

slashack

slashack

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Hi,

New driver you posted works as appleviaata, w/o hotplug, seems that my problem is BIOS since I can't set j-micron in ahci mode(from what I seen on windows is set as raid -JRAID, dunno why it works on win..maybe its the win driver, it detect if u boot from it and set it as internal and as external if its used as extra hdd dunno...) and hotplug is an ahci feature...
Anyway it works with j-micron :D
I will try to mess with BIOS and see if I can do something..
Will keep you informed abut progress...

Thanks again!

L.E. I forgot to tell you that with j-micron works as ATA and not as SATA like with appleviaata...maybe you can do something about that.

Why not going back to AppleVIAATA? I don't understand. You have two drives, one SATA and one ATA. With JMicronATA.kext, both appears as ATA? and with AppleVIAATA.kext one as SATA and one as ATA?

From system.log:

Oct 31 06:58:20 localhost kernel[0]: JMicronATA: JMB360 (CMD 0xc800, CTR 0xc480, IRQ 16, BM 0xc408)Oct 31 06:58:20 localhost kernel[0]: JMicronATA: JMB360 (CMD 0xcc00, CTR 0xc880, IRQ 16, BM 0xc400)
Posted Image

Weird, before I use this kext(or via one) I got on boot the msg: "AppleIntelPIIXPATA: Secondary PCI IDE channel is disabled", now the messg is gone... :)

THe KiNG

THe KiNG

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 674 posts

Why not going back to AppleVIAATA? I don't understand. You have two drives, one SATA and one ATA. With JMicronATA.kext, both appears as ATA? and with AppleVIAATA.kext one as SATA and one as ATA?

Hi,
I Use AHCI for the internal one:

Intel ICH8-M AHCI:
Vendor: Intel
Product: ICH8-M AHCI
Speed: 3 Gigabit
Description: AHCI Version 1.10 Supported

On ATA Bus is just my DVDRW:

ATA Bus:
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20L:
Model: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20L

When I put your latest j-micronata two new ATA Bus are showed in system profiler, one of them populate with my EATA hdd, and the warning "AppleIntelPIIXPATA: Secondary PCI IDE channel is disabled" is gone, but I got another one "JMicronATA 4 bytes not aligned"
With appleviaata I got a new entry on Serial-ATA section with my EATA hdd on it.

Dunno if helps but here is my EATA entry from DSDT:
Device (EATA)                {                    Name (_ADR, Zero)                    OperationRegion (SATE, PCI_Config, Zero, 0xF0)                    Field (SATE, DWordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)                    {                                Offset (0x2C),                         SA2C,   32,                                 Offset (0x43),                         SA43,   8,                                 Offset (0xD3),                         SAD3,   8                    }                    Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized)                    {                    }                    Method (ESAT, 0, NotSerialized)                    {                        Notify (P0P6, Zero)                        And (SAD3, 0x7F, SAD3)                        Or (SA43, 0x40, SA43)                        Store (0x13481043, SA2C)                        And (SA43, 0xBF, SA43)                    }                    Method (ESID, 0, NotSerialized)                    {                        Return (SA2C)                    }                }            }............................    Scope (_GPE)    {        Method (_L01, 0, NotSerialized)        {            \_SB.PCI0.P0P6.JMCC ()            If (LNotEqual (\_SB.PCI0.P0P6.EATA.ESID (), 0x13481043))            {                \_SB.PCI0.P0P6.EATA.ESAT ()            }            If (LNot (And (FDRT, 0x00040000)))            {                If (\_SB.PCI0.P0P4.HPCS)                {                    \_SB.PCI0.P0P4.HPHK ()                    Notify (\_SB.PCI0.P0P4, Zero)                }            }        }

Thanks again for your help!

BTW any chance to get those kexts in X86_X64?

breakingbad

breakingbad

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
Hi mate.

Just passing by to say your work with these kexts are impressive and works so damn fine.
Now I can keep my "hackintosh" working or sleeping for days and get no system freeze. ;)

You rock mate.
10X once again.

[]s

rfuilrez

rfuilrez

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

BTW any chance to get those kexts in X86_X64?

I do believe that is the entire point of his kexts. To address the fact that the 32bit ones were causing kernel panics at >3.xGB.

Just passing by to say your work with these kexts are impressive and works so damn fine.
Now I can keep my "hackintosh" working or sleeping for days and get no system freeze. :D

Yeah. It's wonderful isn't it?
Attached File  Picture_9.png   36.97KB   62 downloads
(loads are high, because I'm running the Folding@Home client.)

THe KiNG

THe KiNG

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 674 posts

I do believe that is the entire point of his kexts. To address the fact that the 32bit ones were causing kernel panics at >3.xGB.

Was referring @ snow kitty.... ;)

breakingbad

breakingbad

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

(now i want to make a system with 8gb haha)

LOL.
Im about to upgrade memory too. Im looking to a 8 Gb RAM system too. ;)
Slashack rox matte.

[]s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy