Using Darwin Airport Driver With Osx86 10.4.1

lagnat

298 posts in this topic

flipsoft, lagnat, did you have a dell D600 or a D610? I'm on the 610, but I can't imagine why that would make a difference....they're both using broadcom based chips.

Was anyone able to figure out a solution to OS X deciding to load appleairport3.kext instead of appleairport2.kext? I need a way to remove appleairport3.kext from the startup and replace it with appleairport2.kext.

any help is appreciated....thanks!

flipsoft, lagnat, did you have a dell D600 or a D610? I'm on the 610, but I can't imagine why that would make a difference....they're both using broadcom based chips.

Was anyone able to figure out a solution to OS X deciding to load appleairport3.kext instead of appleairport2.kext? I need a way to remove appleairport3.kext from the startup and replace it with appleairport2.kext.

Can't you just move the appleairport3.kext to appleairport3.kext.old, and then on bootup try the -f option? You might want to make sure your device ID is in the .plist inside the appleairport2 kext before the boot after the file name changes, too.

I have the D600. It has the dell truemobile 1350 in it and it worked perfectly.

Dell sells these cards for 49 bucks if you really want one. Dell Parts MiniPCI Wireless 1350

or Dell parts PCMCIA 1350 card

Not sure if the PCMCIA card works though.

flip

Cyrana, I have a rough idea of how to rename the appleairport3.kext to appleairport3.kext.old (sudo mv....?)

With reference to checking the device id is in the correct plist for the appleairport2.kext, I am tottally lost. How would I go about finding my device ID, and how would I then add it to the plist?

Thanks again

cyrana, I already know how to rename the appleairport3.kext file. What i'm interested in doing is the second part of what you were saying, getting the device ID into the appleairport2.kext file. Please give me some tips on how i might be able to do that...thanks

can anyone with a working card please verify that WPA works? I have a situation where WEP cannot be used. Let me know your card model and bus type (MiniPCI, PCMCIA, etc) if you do have WPA working.

Well for me it is a no go, WPA Personal/Corporate and WPA2 Personal/Corporate did not work with MacOS, maybe WPA2 didn't work because MacOS X does not support it, I'm not sure.

I tried everything, but every time the connection manager pops-up. saying that the encryption is not supported.

I'm now using WEP 128 bits, with a WMP54GS PCI-card and a WRT54G Router, all linksys 'course :-), and that is a breeze...

If somebody knows how to get WPA working please let me know...

Good luck

cyrana, I already know how to rename the appleairport3.kext file. What i'm interested in doing is the second part of what you were saying, getting the device ID into the appleairport2.kext file. Please give me some tips on how i might be able to do that...thanks

Ahh, ok. :) Sorry for assuming that... I have no idea of everyone's skill level. :)

Go in the terminal and find the directory that has the .kext in it. You can use the cd command to traverse the .kext and all. Go in a bit till you get into contents or whatever it is called. I think you are looking for Info.plist or something similar. It should have a place to put in or change device ID, etc.

This is all from memory, and someone else might have a better explanation than me. :)

My Dell 1350 card arrived today from EBay. I pulled the Intel 2200 out of my 700m and put in the new card. It works great. WEP only, but thats all I was expecting based on posts here. The Intel card had poor support in *BSD anyway... so I'm happy to see it go.

This is great. :)

Is anyone having a problem of AirPort config utility not saving networks that has been connected? Every time I reboot, I loose the last network I was connected to. Also, it doesn`t seem to be communicating with the card properly as it never shows scanned networks...

My ASUS 802.11g minipci (based on broadcom 4306) is being detected as a "Built-in Ethernet"... is this normal? If not, what's supposed to be detected as? Any ideas?

dmesg | grep Airport
Airport: failed to determine ram-size
Airport: allocated 64 clusters
AirportPCI: Ethernet address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Update:

The card is an ASUS WL-120G, with a chipset BCM4306KFB.

I'm getting the exact same error and issues on an Acer 1692WLMi.

PCMCIA cards dont seem supported I think due to the cardbus drivers being wrong.

I busted the Broadcom 4306 minipci card out of an unsed Buffalo WBR54G router I had lying around (well happy I didnt need to buy one). I've got the card working in XP, just not in OSX. I've just done a fresh native install from a patched DVD and will retry the steps in case its related to the deadmoo image I tried before. Soon as I get wireless working my PowerBook is going on eBay ;-)

You can tell if PCMCIA is working by booting with -v. I know I get a bunch of errors pertaining to PCMCIA. But, some people -do- have this working fine via PCMCIA (a few TI chipsets appear to work).

In my case I ordered a MiniPCI version of the cards due to my PCMCIA not working.

My card is Dell Wireless WLAN 1450 Dual Band based on Broadcom chipset (can't look it up in OSX right now as i broke it beyond repair - It locked up at one one point and now it doesn't want to mount filesystem rw, and i can't do fsck because of the dreaded bTree Node error B) )

Anywho... Thi is the card that works, but looses network settings every time i reboot and doesn't scan.

i botched my apple partition and had to re-dd

trying to reinstall the wireless

extract appleairport2

sudo gcc_select 4.0

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel ./AppleAirPort2

sudo cp -r ./AppleAirPort2 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext/Contents/MacOS

gcc -o AppleAirPort2 foo.c /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAirPort2 -fasm-blocks -g -O0 -DJAGUAR -DDEBUG=1 -fmessage-length=0 -mfix-and-continue -fno-common -nostdinc -fno-builtin -finline -fno-keep-inline-functions -force_cpusubtype_ALL -fno-exceptions -msoft-float -static -DKERNEL -DKERNEL_PRIVATE -DDRIVER_PRIVATE -DAPPLE -DNeXT -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Kernel.framework/PrivateHeaders -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Kernel.framework/Headers -lkmod -lcc_kext -lcpp_kext -static -nostdlib -r

sudo kextload System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext

kext loaded fine, gcc gives some strange output but moves the AppleAirPort2 file out of the directory

restart and i get the wireless icon but it says Airport: not configured, so i tried the airport assistant and get nada, doodle why cant i get this working again

I'm getting the exact same error and issues on an Acer 1692WLMi.

PCMCIA cards dont seem supported I think due to the cardbus drivers being wrong.

I busted the Broadcom 4306 minipci card out of an unsed Buffalo WBR54G router I had lying around (well happy I didnt need to buy one).  I've got the card working in XP, just not in OSX.  I've just done a fresh native install from a patched DVD and will retry the steps in case its related to the deadmoo image I tried before.  Soon as I get wireless working my PowerBook is going on eBay ;-)

So I decided to go and get a Belkin USB wireless adaptor from a local supplier, hoping that long term there would be a solution for the wireless using the mini pci Broadcom card. I installed the USB drivers and the new device showed up as en0 (built-in ethernet).

I then went into the Network control panel and amazingly was told that an Airport card was detected. Sure enough it had the MAC address of the mini pci card so I hit the Connect button on that config page and went ahead and joined my wireless lan!!!

I rebooted without the USB wireless adaptor and the Airport settings remained in place. The mini pci card is working fine, just like it were a proper Airport card. There is still a message in the system log about the memory error like originally but it doesnt appear to affect it.