The Great Driver Hunt

AirmanPika

563 posts in this topic

Here's what is and is not working on a MacBook Pro:

Based on:

AirmanPika's master list , Stratus Fear's bluetooth driver, lilmoonee3's omega drivers suggestion, a rapidly growing list of other helpful souls. sorry if i leave your name out, but know your help is appreciated!

--------------------------------

Chipset:

YES, the Intel chipset driver works.

Note: The only perceptible change people have mentioned is the ICH7 SMBus Controller is now recognizable. Regardless, it's always a good idea to have the latest chipset drivers installed, even if it just "freshens" the ones redistributed by Microsoft.

Sound:

YES, the Sigmatel driver works, with caveats

Caveats: "Sound from headphones but not speakers"; Infrared Out is now on 100% of the time, so there is another constant, miniscule power draw as well as additional heat being generated.

Ethernet Controller:

YES, the Marvell driver works.

Wireless Card:

NO... the Dell drivers will not install as no compatible hardware is detected.

NO... the ASUS redist of Intel's A7G mobo wireless driver (for the 2200BG/2915ABG) installs, but detects no compatible hardware.

NO... the Intel-direct generic version for the 2200BG/2915ABG/3945ABG installs, but detects no compatible hardware.

YES...the drivers for an IBM ThinkPad 802.11abg LAN Mini PCI Express adapter seem to work fine, but installation instructions are a little tricky: extract the drivers from the compressed .exe (I used WinRAR) and then right click-> Upgrade Driver... on the "? Network Adapter" item. Rather than search, tell it you manually will choose the driver, and select "All Devices" then click "Have Disk" and point it at the WINXP_2K folder in the bits you just extracted. Ignore / accept the warning and viola... you should have a working wireless adapter.

Bluetooth:

NO... the drivers install without too much trouble, but during and afterwards they complain that your bluetooth adapter is not installed or connected. so, their software devices work fine, but the actual hardware is not compatible.

Best guess as to why this may not be workable is here.

Warning: Hacking Bluetooth drivers for Windows could be dangerous. Read more here.

YES... See here for details.

Video:

NO... the Omega drivers do NOT work even if told a Laptop card is installed

NO... the stock ATI Catalyst drivers do not work (they throw a "Severe" INF error (Video driver not found.) and then suggest "Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup."

NO... the ASUS A76 drivers (VGA_XP_060221.zip) do not work (see ATI Catalyst results ^)

Tip: until we get the drivers working, disable all hardware acceleration on the video card. it makes things (like moving windows around) much smoother. still not "perfect," but it is an improvement.

Known Quirks, Oddities, and Cautionary Notes

• Restarting XP causes it to lock up (doesn't work)
  • Shutting Down XP also locked up the machine until i joined an NT Domain (which disables the Welcome screen login mode). Apparently this made it possible for Shutdown to work properly again on my MacBook.
  • However, joining a domain / disabling the Welcome screen causes problems of its own. Chiefly: the MacBook keyboard has no Del(ete) key, making the requisite "three-finger salute" (ctrl+alt+del) impossible, and Fn+(Backspace) doesn't produce a PC Del code like you'd expect it to... so unless you have a spare USB keyboard handy, you can't log in again (joy)! The fix for this is to get remapkey.exe. Details are here.
  • There is reasonable speculation that the accessory fans aren't turning on in Windows, which could lead to overheating. I ran my MBP in Windows all day yesterday and while i did notice it running hotter than usual, there was no perceptible damage (YMMV, I Am Not A Lawyer). Of course, the most system-intensive thing I did was install all the Windows Updates via Internet Explorer. At this stage, it's probably a Good Thing that we can't play Half Life 2 yet... Note: it is likely that installing the chipset drivers mentioned above mitigates or eliminates this problem, as it allows Windows to talk to the SMBus components.

----------------------------

P.S. A million thanks (or at least, 13,000 thanks :censored2:) to narf2006, blanka, and sud0n1m who made all this possible!

Just as a note it appears the MacBook Pro may use a rebadged Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG card so macbook users may want to try that. Let me know and I'll update the main post.

Am I the only one who can state that my WiFi card isn't picking up my router using the Dell drivers? I'm on a 17" iMac

I think someone mentioned that the dell drivers may not support WEP 2.0 so if your router is using that it COULD be why its not working. I can't verify this myself as I don't use WEP at all personally.

Just as a note it appears the MacBook Pro may use a rebadged Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG card so macbook users may want to try that. Let me know and I'll update the main post.

I think someone mentioned that the dell drivers may not support WEP 2.0 so if your router is using that it COULD be why its not working. I can't verify this myself as I don't use WEP at all personally.

Afaik I'm not using security at all.. :censored2:

It appears that the performace counters help the OS determine CPU load on multiprocessing systems. It helps with scheduling multithreadding of tasks. I'm not sure XP even supports this hardware method of scheduling tasks. Here is where I found some information.

Using Hardware Event Counters

00:07.0 Performance counters: Intel Corporation Unknown device 27a3 (rev 03)

I am wondering is what the Performance Counters entry is exactly. It shows up as an unknown PCI device.

Not in the least way out of shear curiosity, but I tried installing some drivers for the video thinking maybe I might make a breakthrough, and the system locked. Now when I try to restart windows, it just sits there and hangs. How can I undo this? Is there a way to go into "VGA" mode?

Thanks!

Thomas

EDIT: n/m. I just tried F8 and it showed up allowing me to revert to last known good config.... Everest shows Ati Mobility Radeon X1600 M56, to anyone wondering...

I don't think we're ever gonna find working graphics drivers as-is - from what I can tell Windows must be hard coded to blanko's framebuffer driver to work on the Macs.

This would most probably mean that someone needs to change the framebuffer (XOM/vgasave) driver to translate calls directly to the Radeon, which sounds like a horrible amount of work to get video drivers :(

Bluetooth:

NO... the drivers install without too much trouble, but during and afterwards they complain that your bluetooth adapter is not installed or connected. so, their software devices work fine, but the actual hardware is not compatible.

Wonder if the device ID is different or something... The bluetooth chipset is indeed the same as the old D-Link USB bluetooth adapter I used to use, and those drivers worked on it back then...

I don't think we're ever gonna find working graphics drivers as-is - from what I can tell Windows must be hard coded to blanko's framebuffer driver to work on the Macs.

This would most probably mean that someone needs to change the framebuffer (XOM/vgasave) driver to translate calls directly to the Radeon, which sounds like a horrible amount of work to get video drivers :(

So it seems as though they would need to emulate a VGA BIOS to get around using the linear framebuffer deal... Hmm... As it is, it seems like they aren't. But I don't know about the internals of the code, so...

Report:

I tried the ASUS redist of Intel's A7G mobo wireless driver (for the 2200BG/2915ABG) and it didn't work. :(

I also tried the Intel-direct generic version for the 2200BG/2915ABG/3945ABG, it also didn't work. :thumbsdown_anim:

Back to square 1... :guitar:

Wonder if the device ID is different or something... The bluetooth chipset is indeed the same as the old D-Link USB bluetooth adapter I used to use, and those drivers worked on it back then...

So it seems as though they would need to emulate a VGA BIOS to get around using the linear framebuffer deal... Hmm... As it is, it seems like they aren't. But I don't know about the internals of the code, so...

What actually originally made me think that is that I hacked the ATI drivers so they would install, and my display adapter shows up as a "Radeon X1600 Family", but in the Display Properties it would show that it's forced to the XOM framebuffer driver (which, BTW, you should NEVER EVER disable - am re-installing Windows now as a result).

I think also Asus and Toshiba won't help... Its the special "Apple-Firmware" in the Graphic-Card thats such a pain in the ass... I've read some interview from a mac game mag with ATI. They said you would have to flash the Bios of the GPU to get all its features in WinXP.

Doesn't seem too good to me but maybe the mystique BAMBIOS will do the job... Let's see what the next days may bring for all of us.

Good night :(

If I recall correctly, the firmware was required to communicate with the PowerPC processors which require a different endianess. There should no longer be a need to have a different firmware with the new intel chips.

-rich

Well in this case the firmware is different because they used a UGA bios instead of a VGA one on the radeon.

Oh and yes the macs don't want to reboot for some reason. They will always freeze on "Windows is shutting down..." and you have to do a manual power cycle. I believe this is the case for all machines. Shutdown works fine though.

Well in this case the firmware is different because they used a UGA bios instead of a VGA one on the radeon.

Oh and yes the macs don't want to reboot for some reason. They will always freeze on "Windows is shutting down..." and you have to do a manual power cycle. I believe this is the case for all machines. Shutdown works fine though.

Not sure why, but even Shutdown hard locks the MacBook Pro. I haven't tried Restart yet... maybe it's opposite of the iMac? :(

Anyway, i did some more poking around and noticed something fun about the Omega drivers. Installing the Omega drivers doesn't provide any better video experience, but it does expose this information in the Device Mangler:

-Display adapters

M56

M56 Properties->Details tab:

Device Instance Id

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_71C5&SUBSYS_00001002&REV_00\4&31B7BFB9&0&0008

Hardware Ids

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_71C5&SUBSYS_00001002&REV_00

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_71C5&SUBSYS_00001002

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_71C5&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_71C5&CC_0300

Compatible Ids

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_71C5&REV_00

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_71C5

PCI\VEN_1002&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_1002&CC_0300

PCI\VEN_1002

PCI\CC_030000

PCI\CC_0300

Matching Device Id

pci\ven_1002&dev_71c5

Service

ati2mtag

Enumerator

PCI

Capabilities

Devnode Flags

DN_DRIVER_LOADED

DN_STARTED

DN_DISABLEABLE

DN_NT_ENUMERATOR

DN_NT_DRIVER

ConfigFlags

CSConfigFlags

Ejection Relations

Removal Relations

Bus Relations

Device Upper Filters

Device Lower Filters

Class Upper Filters

Class Lower Filters

Class Installer

Desk.Cpl,DisplayClassInstaller

Class Coinstallers

Device Coinstallers

Firmware Revision

Current Power State

D0

Power Capabilities

PDCAP_D0_SUPPORTED

PDCAP_D1_SUPPORTED

PDCAP_D2_SUPPORTED

PDCAP_D3_SUPPORTED

Power State Mappings

S0 -> D0

S1 -> Unspecified

S2 -> Unspecified

S3 -> D3

S4 -> D3

S5 -> D3

Anyone tried flashing the BIOS on the GFX card with the PC version of the M56 yet? Someone here HAS to have an OEM contact at a company who is using the M56 in their units for us to do this...