[How To] Enable Quartz 2D Extreme and Disable BeamSync

CrazyPigeon

86 posts in this topic

I added Quartz Simple to my startup list but I still need to disable Beam Sync every time. Isnt there a way with Automator or with an applescript to have it done autmaticaly? because I really notice the difference

In Terminal, just type this command and it is disabled for all reboots:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0

• 1 month later...

After doing

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0

is there any way to get BeamSync back?

It's making weird colours when I open x-chat

• 1 month later...

I changed the "deferredUpdates 1" to "deferredUpdates 0" but it does nothing for me...

When I open the plist I see "deferredUpdates 0" but when I reboot the BeamSync remains loaded...

The only way for me was put quartzdebug on startup and disabe manually the beamsync every time I reboot my PC...

Sorry, my english is so so... but I think is understandable ^^

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
where do find QuartzDebug program at .

You want QuartzSimple.

Follow the QE2D link in my sig (which takes you back to posting #1 of this thread!). Be sure to Force-Quit the program or it will undo your setting when it closes.

where do i get Quartz Debug so i can copy it to my applications folder

If you are referring to this:

1. Download QuartzSimple (Mirrored on my website, Click Here)

2. Copy Quartz Debuug to your Applications Folder and open it

There is a typo there. You download QuartzSimple. Then you copy QuartzSimple to your Applications folder.

However, to get Quartz Debug:

Go to Apple Developer site: http://developer.apple.com

Download the XCode development environment (around 900 MB).

Then either install the whole thing, or use Pacifist (download from Charlessoft) to examine the PKG installer file and extract the Quartz Debug tool from one of the folders like Apps or Utilities or Tools.

ok rammjet, so i had a fresh install of 10.4.6 (JaS) and I even copied and pasted your line directly into the terminal and when I rebooted, no Quartz 2D Extreme. I didn't install 10.4.7 (I could though) but that didn't work for me...any other ideas? I'll keep looking around and if I find something, I'll mention it here.

The terminal command:

is for disabling BeamSync. This speeds up performance with LCD monitors.

To enable QE2D, you should run QuartzSimple, enable Quartz Extreme 2D and then Force Quit QuartzSimple. If you simply quit QuartzSimple, it will disable QE2D as it quits. See the first posting of this thread.

There is an edit to be made to the windowserver.plist to enable QE2D, but I don't know it off the top of my head.

The terminal command:

is for disabling BeamSync. This speeds up performance with LCD monitors.

To enable QE2D, you should run QuartzSimple, enable Quartz Extreme 2D and then Force Quit QuartzSimple. If you simply quit QuartzSimple, it will disable QE2D as it quits. See the first posting of this thread.

There is an edit to be made to the windowserver.plist to enable QE2D, but I don't know it off the top of my head.

I will help you remember:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Quartz2DExtremeEnabled true

Also handy commands:

plutil -convert xml1 /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver # to use with textedit

plutil -convert binary1 /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver # to put it back to normal format

I was under the impression that this was for Q2DE. I'll keep looking for that one

No need to look.

TopazBar gave you the command for QE2D. Or use QuartzSimple.

Summary:

- To enable Quartz Extreme 2D, use QuartzSimple or type the following in Terminal:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Quartz2DExtremeEnabled true

(to disable it, change "true" to "false")

- To disable BeamSync (a speed improvement for systems with LCD monitors) use QuartzSimple or type in Terminal:

(to re-enable it, change "0" to "1")

To download and use QuartzSimple, see the first posting of this thread.

i saw that - thanks again to you both!

small problem though...i tried

...and it pooched my system...upon boot, there was a blue background and a spinning logo in the middle of the screen....wouldn't go away. could it possibly be 'yes' instead of 'true'? the reason i ask is last night i tried a shareware plist pro editor and i almost swore it said 'yes' or 'no' instead of 'true' and 'false'...?

Careful - running QuartzSimple might reset your beamsync...

could it possibly be 'yes' instead of 'true'?

Here is a posting with the contents of the windowserver.plist displayed. At the bottom you see it set to its default setting of "false": http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=133095

It might give you fits if you aren't QE2D capable...

• 2 weeks later...