new ALC88X AppleHDA drivers by Taruga

zarac

133 posts in this topic

No bass with new ALC888 on GA P31-DS3L

The reason for no bass is because you are using "Line Out", which on a real Mac, would be the "Internal Speaker". If you plug your speaker's into the built-in "Headphone" jack, you get the full spectrum of sound. Like on a real Mac, the bass is rather muted out of the internal speaker's. BUT, if you plug an external set of speaker's, into the "Headphone" jack, they are ALOT louder and play the full spectrum of sound. Get it? My Mac Mini is that way, as the same for Mac Laptop's, iMac's and Airbook's. The only Mac that's truely different is the Mac Pro, which you need to hook up to external speaker's due to no internal speaker. The HDA and HDAEnabler.kext's are working correctly. If you wish to have your hardware supported in the same fashion as before using these kext's, I suggest sticking with ALC and older HDA kext's.

~Sling

The reason for no bass is because you are using "Line Out", which on a real Mac, would be the "Internal Speaker". If you plug your speaker's into the built-in "Headphone" jack, you get the full spectrum of sound. Like on a real Mac, the bass is rather muted out of the internal speaker's. BUT, if you plug an external set of speaker's, into the "Headphone" jack, they are ALOT louder and play the full spectrum of sound. Get it? My Mac Mini is that way, as the same for Mac Laptop's, iMac's and Airbook's. The only Mac that's truely different is the Mac Pro, which you need to hook up to external speaker's due to no internal speaker. The HDA and HDAEnabler.kext's are working correctly. If you wish to have your hardware supported in the same fashion as before using these kext's, I suggest sticking with ALC and older HDA kext's.

~Sling

Tried it again and the 'click-sounds' were gone... but now there's the problem with no bass coming out of the line out. so i tried all other outputs and the only one working and that has full bass is the out from the front panel audio, this is the one that is recognized as 'headphones'. but that sucks because i don't want to have the cable coming out on the front of my pc... :thumbsup_anim: is there any way to solve this?

anyway, thanks to taruga :(

ALC888 - Need to figure out how the routing is done on this and not getting very far.

Seems it defaults to non-MacPro models.

Like others I'm getting:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID:	0x1458A002
 Audio ID:	12
 Available Devices:
 Headphone:
  Connection:	1/8 inch Jack
 Speaker:
  Connection:	Internal
 Line In:
  Connection:	1/8 inch Jack
 S/P-DIF In:
  Connection:	Optical
 S/P-DIF Out:
  Connection:	Optical
 Microphone:
  Connection:	Internal

The headphone jack works on the FP, but as noted it isn't correct on speaker out and they are swapped.

No FP Microphone.

should I use this directly with HDAEnabler or patched it first with HADPatcher?

mY Linux codec dump of ALC883 is on Codec address 1,but the download page only provide codec address 0 and 2?

With this new release one,either address1 or 2,only Internal speaker has sound,but it comes through my headphone not the real internal speaker?

Doesn't matter I have hdaenabler.kext or not.

With alc883 3 line out package,I have both internal speaker and headphone sound,need to change manully

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reposting, Signal64. I've been trying for many hours to get this ALC889A driver working on a GA-EP35-DS3P. I used Kext Helper to install AppleHDA.kext and ALCinject.kext and when I first installed them and rebooted, all I/O appeard in System Profiler and was available in System Preferences. However after another reboot, they were gone and I haven't been able to make the audio visible again. Preferences claims there's no card, and all I see in System Profiler is:

Intel High Definition Audio

Device ID:			 Ox1458A002
  Audio Devices:	   12
  Available Devices:

That's it. Before, "Available Devices" was populated with all the correct I/O. I'd appreciate if anyone can at least point me towards a solution that works for Leopard 10.5.4. There's a lot of outdated info on this forum...

Thanks!

Thanks for the files, Signal64.

They didn't work for me though. I tried both of the ALC888 kexts, ended up getting nothing under available devices and lost sound. Oh well, back to my codec dump.

This was on GA-EP-DS3L.

ALC888? sure about this? what board do you have? the is no GA-EP-DS3L (GA-EP35-DS3L exists, though. and in that case your codec is ALC889a (885 like in the MacPro). I have a GA-EP35-DS3 and a GA-P35-DS3, both featuring ALC889a, working with HDAEnabler without trouble.

cheers

Remember to also remove any ALCInject kext's and to use the HDAEnabler instead.

The HDAEnabler is actually already in these kext packages but you need to change it's Info.plist from:

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Safe Boot</string>

to

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Root</string>

For it to load.

I think I finally figured out how the codec dump, layout, and pathmap work but still have a question in regards to how device order is determined in the pathmap as it isn't matching the xml examples nor the layout (layout 12, pathmap 9).

Right now I'm trying to get the FP Mic working which "should" be a simple swap from mic in ( 9 34 24 ) to FP Mic In ( 9 34 25 ) but getting nothing.

Experimenting with swapping the headphone and line out as well as those appear to be reversed.

Again, this is with an ALC888.

I only get this...

------

Device ID: 0x14627514

Audio ID: 12

Available Devices:

-------

No matter what ALC888 driver I use, it's the samething, even with all those codec dumps as well. The only driver that ever worked for me was in the testing kext section of Taruga's site. Its file id was 62 and it worked flawlessly. I forgot to make a copy of it on my flash drive, because I had to reinstall Kalyway fresh after messing a few things up and now his site is down. If anyone has that specific driver, PLEASE give it to me. :D

I only get this...

------

Device ID: 0x14627514

Audio ID: 12

Available Devices:

-------

No matter what ALC888 driver I use, it's the samething, even with all those codec dumps as well. The only driver that ever worked for me was in the testing kext section of Taruga's site. Its file id was 62 and it worked flawlessly. I forgot to make a copy of it on my flash drive, because I had to reinstall Kalyway fresh after messing a few things up and now his site is down. If anyone has that specific driver, PLEASE give it to me. :)

look at Post #59 ;)

I hope that´s the right one!

mindsuk

Hey Guys,

I have an GA-EP35-DS3L as well, with an ALC888 chip, and I can't get stereo. I tried PCWiz's new control panel, and installed the ALC888, but get nothing. What should I do to install this? Will it give me stereo?

(The website for it is currently down)

Hey Guys,

I have an GA-EP35-DS3L as well, with an ALC888 chip, and I can't get stereo. I tried PCWiz's new control panel, and installed the ALC888, but get nothing. What should I do to install this? Will it give me stereo?

(The website for it is currently down)

do you have no sound? or bad sound? if you have no sound just put the speaker into the headphone port!! all the other ports haven´t a signal!!

mindsuk

The Audio MIDI setup isn't showing any output devices. My ALC888 is listed nowhere in the system as being present.

Everything else on the computer works great!

:D

*EDIT*

Got this working with the HDA_ICH9_ALC888 file! I found it at: http://rs298.rapidshare.com/files/86630928...ICH9_ALC888.zip

Again, I have an EP35C-DS3L Gigabyte board.

Yay!