[Guide & Software] A Recipe for Delicious Leopard Soup - Now with Vanilla Flavor!

weaksauce12

1,893 posts in this topic

AppleHDA.kext is problematic (causes Kernel Panics) in 10.5.7 onwards. You can delete it in Single User Mode, and at least in 10.5.7, replace it with the one from 10.5.6...

Patrick

Thanks for the response...If I am not mistaken, AppleHDA.kext is the audio driver...if I am using an external audio card, do I even need it?

Ok, question time again. I did some searching but due to what I'm sure amounts to my inadequacy I can't find the answers. I've used my dual booting hack (the wiki's ud3p guide) for a month or so now and there's two main problems that I have that at first I thought I'd live with but are becoming more annoying as time goes on.

1) Randomly when my monitor goes to sleep, or even when it's just been turned off and back on, the entire screen becomes light blue and unusable. Everything still seems to be running, just the screen is completely and only light blue. Sometimes turning the monitor off and on again a few times will either fix it, or lighten the shade of blue to something see-able, but most of the time not.

2) My cdrom drive is spotty as all hell. Example: I was going to rip a cd using xld. So I put the cd in and it detects it fine. Then when I go to detect the pre-gap, the drive refuses to spin the disc. So I restart XLD and it starts spinning and detects it. I start ripping, but I have to cancel to change the options. All of the sudden the disc is no longer read and the cdrom drive refuses to respond. What would be the best method for troubleshooting this?

If you've read this and even consider helping, I thank you for your patience and generosity.

2) if it's a pioneer drive, that would explain it. Pioneer drives have a problem in going to sleep and the MB forgetting about them.

1) that behavior would occur if you have a faulty cable, or if OSX can't see a monitor. When OSX can't see a monitor (maybe something in your monitor, cable, or card), it puts out that light blue screen. If you could screenshare with you computer, you'd find it awake and fully functional, just with no monitor.

Patrick

Anyone know of a guide to get vanilla Snow Leopard up and running on this motherboard?

I did a test setup using this guide :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184367

My current 10.5 setup was done using Weaksauce's guide. Replacing the hard drive I used with 10.5 with another one, the 10.6 setup was a breeze. You boot the provided boot cd, swap the cd with your snow leopard DVD, install snow leopard, let the computer restart, install the provided package, install the ALC888 installer if you want onboard sound, restart and check your bios settings. I read that some people were using F6 BIOS so I updated mine before starting the installation.

There are instructions if your graphic card does not work at that point. I did not need to do anything. I tried to add the EFI string for my video card as instructed and it changed nothing (well, it was working fine with and without it).

That was it. Your computer will be set to load the 32-bit kernel by default, but since it can run any 64-bits apps, there seems to be little point to switch to the 64-bits kernel, unless you have more than 32 GB RAM. I tried it and it works too, but my wireless driver does not work with the 64 bit kernel so I think I'll stick with the 32-bits kernel for now. It's only a string to change in the boot.plist file.

I am now planning to switch my main working partition to 10.6 after having used it for 2 days without any problems.

2) if it's a pioneer drive, that would explain it. Pioneer drives have a problem in going to sleep and the MB forgetting about them.

1) that behavior would occur if you have a faulty cable, or if OSX can't see a monitor. When OSX can't see a monitor (maybe something in your monitor, cable, or card), it puts out that light blue screen. If you could screenshare with you computer, you'd find it awake and fully functional, just with no monitor.

Patrick

Thanks a ton for your reply. Here's some more info.

2) It's a lite on ATAPI iHAS422. I don't quite understand it, it just refuses to consistently be responsive. It'll randomly just decide to not reply.

1) Then what would be the best way to go about troubleshooting? More info: It's not always completely light blue, sometimes it comes back on and everything just has a light blue hue to it. Eventually with enough turning the monitor on and off, it comes back to normal. Also, once every couple days the screen just goes to {censored} and there are lines all over the screen and the color gets messed up and the computer is effectively frozen. None of this stuff happens on my Win 7 boot though, which makes me wonder.

Again, I'm exceedingly grateful for your help.

A question for weaksauce...

Would installing the FakeSMC kext help our system at all?

Would it be more helpful or detrimental?

I have a solid 10.5.8 system running right now with your Boot132

The reason I ask is because i'd like to be able to get accurate readings of all the temperatures in my system (including GPU) and since Hackintosh SMC's are all outta whack, i'm wondering if FakeSMC would be a step in the right direction

I did a test setup using this guide :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184367

My current 10.5 setup was done using Weaksauce's guide. Replacing the hard drive I used with 10.5 with another one, the 10.6 setup was a breeze. You boot the provided boot cd, swap the cd with your snow leopard DVD, install snow leopard, let the computer restart, install the provided package, install the ALC888 installer if you want onboard sound, restart and check your bios settings. I read that some people were using F6 BIOS so I updated mine before starting the installation.

There are instructions if your graphic card does not work at that point. I did not need to do anything. I tried to add the EFI string for my video card as instructed and it changed nothing (well, it was working fine with and without it).

That was it. Your computer will be set to load the 32-bit kernel by default, but since it can run any 64-bits apps, there seems to be little point to switch to the 64-bits kernel, unless you have more than 32 GB RAM. I tried it and it works too, but my wireless driver does not work with the 64 bit kernel so I think I'll stick with the 32-bits kernel for now. It's only a string to change in the boot.plist file.

I am now planning to switch my main working partition to 10.6 after having used it for 2 days without any problems.

Did you install any of weaksauces kexts or files?

My computer isn't shutting down right. I have to click off from the power supply for the computer to shut down properly. The harddrive spins down but everythings else, fans, etc. keeps spinning.

Let me know if you installed poweroff bug fix and if you think that would work.

Thanks.

Did you install any of weaksauces kexts or files?

My computer isn't shutting down right. I have to click off from the power supply for the computer to shut down properly. The harddrive spins down but everythings else, fans, etc. keeps spinning.

Let me know if you installed poweroff bug fix and if you think that would work.

Thanks.

I had the same problem from time to time. The OS would shutdown correctly, screen goes blank, hard drive parks, and then ... well nothing. It could remain in that state for a few minutes and then power off, or it could stay fans running for a long time. I did not mind that problem that much since I don't use Shutdown that much so when I did I though I could live with pushing the power button once in the "fan runnings only" state to turn them off.

That was with my 10.5 setup. I think this is working fine with my 10.6 setup now, but I need to test it out a bit more.

I had the same problem from time to time. The OS would shutdown correctly, screen goes blank, hard drive parks, and then ... well nothing. It could remain in that state for a few minutes and then power off, or it could stay fans running for a long time. I did not mind that problem that much since I don't use Shutdown that much so when I did I though I could live with pushing the power button once in the "fan runnings only" state to turn them off.

That was with my 10.5 setup. I think this is working fine with my 10.6 setup now, but I need to test it out a bit more.

What kexts did you use or didn't use?

My install is rock solid except for that.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there!

Haven't been around for a while and just wanted to ask if the 10.5.8 guide is still planed/worked on.

I am on a P35-DS3L running 10.5.7 and haven't upgraded yet because I need sleep (hack used as htpc). I've read there are some solutions for this speed problem. But I am afraid of killing my system by updating without a guide.

thanks for any help

brutus

Has anyone had problems with their SATA DVD drives hanging? Sometimes it prevents me from shutting down. Sometimes I'll try to eject the drive, and it'll say it can't because it's in use, even though it hasn't been in use for hours. I saw a while back that someone had the same issue, but the Vanilla kernel was supposed to fix it. But I'm on the latest and greatest package. I've built quite a few systems with this amazing package, and this has happened on two of them. Any ideas? Are there some brand of drives that don't work so hot with Hackintosh? I'm on a dual boot, and the drive gives me no problems in Windows, so it can't be the drive right? Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi there!

Haven't been around for a while and just wanted to ask if the 10.5.8 guide is still planed/worked on.

I am on a P35-DS3L running 10.5.7 and haven't upgraded yet because I need sleep (hack used as htpc). I've read there are some solutions for this speed problem. But I am afraid of killing my system by updating without a guide.

thanks for any help

brutus

Yup, 10.5.8 & 10.6.1 guides are in progress. Just one bug left to get fixed before releasing. I was planning on Halloween, but R&D is taking a bit longer than planned :angel:

Has anyone had problems with their SATA DVD drives hanging? Sometimes it prevents me from shutting down. Sometimes I'll try to eject the drive, and it'll say it can't because it's in use, even though it hasn't been in use for hours. I saw a while back that someone had the same issue, but the Vanilla kernel was supposed to fix it. But I'm on the latest and greatest package. I've built quite a few systems with this amazing package, and this has happened on two of them. Any ideas? Are there some brand of drives that don't work so hot with Hackintosh? I'm on a dual boot, and the drive gives me no problems in Windows, so it can't be the drive right? Thanks in advance for your help!

There are 2 issues here:

1. Some DVD drives don't support the sleep function in OS X (as in, the DVD going to sleep, and not being able to wake up - not all models tho)

2. This is a problem on real Macs as well (iMacs users etc. are reporting weird DVD hanging problems like you described)

Three possible fixes:

1. Disable "Allow HDDs to Sleep" in Energy Prefs (this has seemed to help some people)

2. Update your Hack to the latest available point release

3. Buy a different DVD drive (I have a Pioneer & it is problem-free)

Well, I don't think the power bug is going anywhere. Done a fair bit of testing (mucho thanks to stellarola), and for now we're stuck at 10-15C higher CPU temps (my Q6600 is around 47C @ idle under OS X). Not bad for one of the few bugs in the latest kit! I meant to get this stuff out on Halloween, but the power bug has been a frustrating exercise in endless testing, so thanks for waiting while things get worked out! :wacko: If you'd like to give it a try, stella posted his latest Snow Leopard installer for the UD3P on his blog:

http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/23846198...-update-ud3p-v3

Simple instructions: (you'll need an existing Mac or Hack to do this)

Prep:

1. Format an 8gb HSF+ partition (USB flash, USB hard drive, or SATA hard drive)

2. Restore the Snow Leopard ISO to it

3. Run the installer on the restore ISO's partition

4. Setup your BIOS as per the Lifehacker Guide (many thanks to Adam Pash for the detailed guide!)

Install:

1. Boot up your UD3P to the 8gb partition (make sure the BIOS knows USB or SATA, whatever you're using)

2. Install Snow Leopard to your boot drive, then let it reboot

3. Boot up again using the 8gb partition, but select the boot drive this time

4. Run through OS X setup to get to the desktop

5. Copy stella's installer to the desktop & install to your boot drive

6. Eject your 8gb partition drive & reboot

Now you can run updates. It's safe up to 10.6.2 thanks to the tweaked DSDT & kexts. Make sure your BIOS settings match up to Adam's screengrabs. Aside from the power bug, the only other complaint I have is that onboard AFP/Bonjour for either of the two Gigabit Ethernet ports doesn't work without the Snow Leopard R1000 kext. Further details are available here. You'll probably need to manually set the speed to Gigabit in Network Preferences (mine defaulted to 10/100, I believe - it was very slow for large file transfers on my Gigabit network). Personally I just use a PCI NIC (Encore 1320, available on Newegg for $7.99) to avoid network driver-related problems.

This is more or less the final installer that everything else will be based on. The final release kits will include a BootCD and I'll posted some detailed guides. The basic idea is to either boot up with the BootCD, swap it out with Snow Leopard & install, and then run the zero-config installer, or to just do it the 8gb-partition way if you have a Mac available to format all that on. Pretty easy all around; much simpler than the previous methods thanks to DSDT. Many thanks to stella for his amazing work on this stuff! I wouldn't have a usable guide without his skills & wonderful help, so please be sure to thank him when you see him :wacko:

Thanks for your patience & help everybody, things have progressed quite nicely over the last 6 months since Snow was released. I'm pretty happy with the latest iteration of the DSDT & kexts mix; it runs very reliably on my machine! Again I posted regular updates on Twitter, if you're interested in seeing what I'm currently up to, but I'll post again in here & on my blog when all of the kits are ready for release.

Got a working pre-release installer out thanks to stellarola! Read more about it here. Will be posting updates as things get worked out. Again many thanks to stellarola for all his hard work & dedication on this project, he's done an amazing job on this!!

Installed 10.6.2 on my test HDD using Stella's v3 installer. Aware of the reported problems with nVidia 7xxx video cards, I had the workaround ready. Booted first without it and 10.6.2 came up but soon crashed. I added the 10.6.1 GeForce.kext and rebooted - system seemed stable.

After a few minutes I repaired permissions and rebooted again. Got stuck at the blue screen. This has never happened before in all of my hacking, from Kalyway 10.5.1 forward.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Installed 10.6.2 on my test HDD using Stella's v3 installer. Aware of the reported problems with nVidia 7xxx video cards, I had the workaround ready. Booted first without it and 10.6.2 came up but soon crashed. I added the 10.6.1 GeForce.kext and rebooted - system seemed stable.

After a few minutes I repaired permissions and rebooted again. Got stuck at the blue screen. This has never happened before in all of my hacking, from Kalyway 10.5.1 forward.

Any ideas? Thanks.

I have been running 10.6.2 without a hick up on this board P35-DS3L

Here

Hi Everyone,

Well it looks like I'm going to take the plunge and move to Snow Leopard.

My Gigabyte board is a EX38-DS4 and component wise the only differences between the UD3P are:

EX38-DS4

North Bridge - Intel X38

South Bridge - Intel ICH9R

LAN Chipset - Realtek 8111B

UD3P Board

North Bridge - Intel P45

South Bridge - Intel ICH10R

LAN Chipset - Realtek 8111C

Would I be able to use this new install "right out of the box" since my components are so close to the UD3P or do I need to tweak it and if so what do I need to tweak?

Many Thanks!

John

I have been running 10.6.2 without a hick up on this board P35-DS3L

Here

Awesome link, thanks!

Have you had any issues with Flash under Snow?

Any ideas? Thanks.

#1 - which board did you install this one?

#2 - which video card & how much vram?

Hi Everyone,

Well it looks like I'm going to take the plunge and move to Snow Leopard.

My Gigabyte board is a EX38-DS4 and component wise the only differences between the UD3P are:

EX38-DS4

North Bridge - Intel X38

South Bridge - Intel ICH9R

LAN Chipset - Realtek 8111B

UD3P Board

North Bridge - Intel P45

South Bridge - Intel ICH10R

LAN Chipset - Realtek 8111C

Would I be able to use this new install "right out of the box" since my components are so close to the UD3P or do I need to tweak it and if so what do I need to tweak?

Many Thanks!

John

You could give it a shot. The DSDT's that stella compiles & posts are created from dumps from specific boards, so whereas before with more or less general kexts you could get away with using different kits on different boards with some success, the newer ones are much more board-specific. The upshot is that they work a lot better than even the previous kits did. Stella's been doing a masterful job with the installers and I have to commend him for his patience doing all the testing for the UD3P remotely :(

did you use dsdt for sound, graphics, and ethernet? I followed blacks guide but i am having stability issues. Running F9 btw.

Yeah my DSDT takes care of all of those:

Sound: LegacyHDA.kext

Graphics: Inject GFX string.

Ethernet: works without psystar's kext

I still keep F7 bios. Since I had problem with O.C stability with F9. (Mine CPU could be OC'ed as high as 3.2 but very stable @ 3.0 with F7). Some folks on the other thread did Ok with F9. I can up my current "Extension" Folderfot you yo compare

P5_DS3L_Extra.zip

Yeah my DSDT takes care of all of those:

Sound: LegacyHDA.kext

Graphics: Inject GFX string.

Ethernet: works without psystar's kext

I still keep F7 bios. Since I had problem with O.C stability with F9. (Mine CPU could be OC'ed as high as 3.2 but very stable @ 3.0 with F7). I can up my current "Extension" Folder

Yeah, even though the F7 BIOS is aging, I've found it to be extremely stable. I hate the slow ACHI BIOS after POST, but I can live with it.

I'm using the DSDT Audio with the LegacyHDA.kext method as well, I've found it to work fabulously. Stella turned me on to that method - so much easier when running updates. Audio was really bugging the heck out of me for awhile there lol.