What about the new ATI HD4850 ?

Soner

911 posts in this topic

I have no idea on how to patch a retail DVD to work on an AMD-based PC, nor do I want to spend $120 on it, plus there isn't a store within 3 hours of me that has Leopard (well this one store near me has the 3-pack that include iLife/iWork '09 and Leopard...).

The combo pack is a great deal considering how much it would cost for all 3.

Success story here. :D

Just installed package, rebootet, switched DVI-Cable and DVI-to-VGA-Adapter (not sure if it was neccessary) and it worked right away.

Dell XPS Studio

Core i7, 2,66GHz

6*1GB DDR 3

ATI 4850, 512MB

one resolution is missing 1440*900 i can't use my 19"wide on my h4850 sapphire dual slot

where can i find 10.5.7 ?

If you are using VGA monitor than it is detected as Standard VGA Display and only 4:3 resolutions are available. You have to force 16:10 resolutions via SwitchResX application.

it's all speculation, but you'd think apple would have left room to add crossfire support in the future. the new mac pro is nehalem based, so one could assume it's using the x58 chipset in some form or another, which supports both sli and crossfire. Unfortunately just as in the windows environment crossfire/sli is very dependent on drivers and driver profiles for each individual game/program it's going to be usefull with. with all of apples talk of openCL it only seems to make sense that they would eventually support multi gpu processing.

it's all speculation, but you'd think apple would have left room to add crossfire support in the future. the new mac pro is nehalem based, so one could assume it's using the x58 chipset in some form or another, which supports both sli and crossfire. Unfortunately just as in the windows environment crossfire/sli is very dependent on drivers and driver profiles for each individual game/program it's going to be usefull with. with all of apples talk of openCL it only seems to make sense that they would eventually support multi gpu processing.

i'm not sure if that reply was aimed at my comment, but yes you would have thought that. apple did support it with the 7300gt but in a different way to sli on windows. also my comment was around the x2 card, which to my knowledge does not need a crossfire board as that is all done on the chip. by no means am i a programmer or anything like that, but there must be a way of just enabling one gpu on the board.

ya was aimed at your comment ^^ just no quotes i guess, figured it was fairly obvious :D figured i'd just ramble a bit on the subject as there's no real definitive answer to the subject, and netkas is most likely a pretty busy guy these days.

the 4870x2 is dependent on crossfire profiles just like 2 individual 4870's in crossfire, it's just that the information does not need to travel between two individual pci-x slots and no crossfire ribbon connector. like you said tho it does not need a crossfire board for it to work properly.

I wonder if has anyone tried adding their 4870x2 dev id's to the latest natit.kext, as it's sure boosted the functionality of my 4870.

For those of you wondering about the X2: we have tried everything we can think of, Netkas has helped me alot, but the 10.5.7 framebuffer seems to be totally incompatible with the 4870X2. Results in the video not loading up no matter which display port it's connected to.

Using an IOPCIClassMatch to try and get just ONE of the 2 cores on the board working also fails.

With Snow Leopard developer builds I have been able to get res change and 2D with the framebuffer working, but no QE/CI. I'm waiting for a more stable release to come out to be able to test getting the X2 to work. It seems to be something to do with either the X2000.kext just being incompatible, or the OpenGL implementation currently being busted.

So yeah, just give it some time and maybe Snow Leopard will work with our X2's. But currently they will not with Leopard 10.5.6/.7 at all.

What is the best option for a mac os newbie here?

Should I wait for 10.5.7 and a tutorial for how to get the 4870 (Sapphire, 512mb) to work or is it pretty easy on existing releases?

I want to run dual DVI monitors on it and have hibernate work properly.

What is the best option for a mac os newbie here?

Should I wait for 10.5.7 and a tutorial for how to get the 4870 (Sapphire, 512mb) to work or is it pretty easy on existing releases?

I want to run dual DVI monitors on it and have hibernate work properly.

it really easy to get dual monitors working but hibernate is impossible. That is the big issue with me. I also have shutdown and restart issues on iPC. But not on boot 132, but cannot get the retail install to see my nfts drive.

Im hoping that 10.5.7 gives us sleep.

I've installed native 10.5.7 kext for my HD4850, but I can clearly hear that the card isn't lowering its clocks to 2D mode - the stock cooler (1 slot) is pretty noisy. Earlier I had kext from this topic - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=155477 - and PowerPlay was enabled, but my screen was bouncy.

So - am I the only one without PowerPlay due to some configuration error (maybe the older kext is in conflict with the new one), or Apple won't be using PowerPlay in their Macs Pro?

I'm using the kext posted in the that thread and also find that my card is still a little louder than normal (louder than it is in win/lin anyway). Have you had any luck with dual monitors with the native kext? Really hoping dual monitor supports comes to the 4850 soon.

it really easy to get dual monitors working but hibernate is impossible. That is the big issue with me. I also have shutdown and restart issues on iPC. But not on boot 132, but cannot get the retail install to see my nfts drive.

Im hoping that 10.5.7 gives us sleep.

Yeah but I've never installed before ;) I have a P5Q Pro board and I hear I have to flash it too eeeeek.

So I'm a bit of a noob that's all - is there a 4870 tutorial yet (infact is there an overall tutorial)

Finally, when 10.5.7 comes out, could I upgrade or would I have to install fresh? If I can upgrade, I might just consider trying the current version now.

For those of you wondering about the X2: we have tried everything we can think of, Netkas has helped me alot, but the 10.5.7 framebuffer seems to be totally incompatible with the 4870X2. Results in the video not loading up no matter which display port it's connected to.

Using an IOPCIClassMatch to try and get just ONE of the 2 cores on the board working also fails.

With Snow Leopard developer builds I have been able to get res change and 2D with the framebuffer working, but no QE/CI. I'm waiting for a more stable release to come out to be able to test getting the X2 to work. It seems to be something to do with either the X2000.kext just being incompatible, or the OpenGL implementation currently being busted.

So yeah, just give it some time and maybe Snow Leopard will work with our X2's. But currently they will not with Leopard 10.5.6/.7 at all.

thanks for clearing this up, and giving us an answer!

i didnt mean to come across as pushy/impatient etc, i just wanted to know where we were.

its good news about the snow leopard though. at the minute im using both my x2 and an old 7300gt from a mac pro so i dont mind waiting! I can see snow leopard making it to an apple store near you at the latest is the end of this year!

Please can some1 give me link for that Natit.kext that every 1 is talking about, I have 4870 512mb, and everething is working, only my second monitor is not working (via HDMI). First monitor is conected via DVI.

Natit.kext should fix my problem right?

Sorry for my english.

I am very grateful four Your answer in advance...

Oh i managed to fix problem with Natit.kext from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1106167 post. Now everithing is working, i have picture on both monitors and i can change resoluton on both. Monitor wake from sleep is also woking now.

Really that actually sounds perfect? Is that pretty much everything working fine then?

Tutorial yet?

Thanks for the info., guess i'll be hot swapping cables longer lol