The OS X of the linux world is out.........

snakeeyes

92 posts in this topic

Ubuntu is made for kids so they can say, "look, ma, I's can runs Linux two!" Suse can actually be used in a business setting without your sysadmin laughing real hard while putting a boot in procurement's ass.

:trumpet:

I agree, absolutely. But shipping Ubuntu with at least a decent wallpaper wouldn't take much of devs' time (as somebody in that thread was saying that devs had no time for eye candy).

:(

I agree, absolutely. But shipping Ubuntu with at least a decent wallpaper wouldn't take much of devs' time (as somebody in that thread was saying that devs had no time for eye candy).

So what exactly are they spending their time doing? They seem to be working real hard on making the OS slower, uglier, and more inconsistent with each revision.

Had to take this off completely, gnome was being a royal pain for me...everything kept crashing (audio, for one), unsure if it was down to gnome or opensuse deciding to act funny.

That's after all updates were done + patches.

Didnt try KDE though, tried LXDE which is very very fast but failed to work properly with opensuse.

I think i'll try again in a few months time.

Had to take this off completely, gnome was being a royal pain for me...everything kept crashing (audio, for one), unsure if it was down to gnome or opensuse deciding to act funny.

That's after all updates were done + patches.

Didnt try KDE though, tried LXDE which is very very fast but failed to work properly with opensuse.

I think i'll try again in a few months time.

I tried gnome and nothing crashes for me at all in fact its better than 10.3, the only problem is with pulse audio and if u want the old sound system back I can help u install it, as for pulseaudio I bet u got this bug here and its been assigned:

https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=387052#c9

I tried gnome and nothing crashes for me at all in fact its better than 10.3, the only problem is with pulse audio and if u want the old sound system back I can help u install it, as for pulseaudio I bet u got this bug here and its been assigned:

https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=387052#c9

Indeed it does seem that i do have that bug.

For me pidgin crashed when someone im'd me (hard lock up, had to force quit which took ages)

Indeed it does seem that i do have that bug.For me pidgin crashed when someone im'd me (hard lock up, had to force quit which took ages)

is the md5sum and alright and have u added gnome:stable and community repos ?

Oh yeah if u use compiz fusion, here is an animation u will enjoy, remember the OS X genie effect, well in compiz it has 3 waves, here is how to make it 0 waves :(

Here is what you will need.

Install “ghex” through yast software management.

A text editor like kate or gedit.

Before starting turn off compiz fusion.........

Open a konsole and type “su” and your password.

1. type ghex2 to open editor as root

2. use ghex2 to open “/usr/lib/compiz/libanimation.so”

3. find “magic_lamp_max_waves”, look for following “<min>3</min>”, change “3″ to “0″

4. save it and close ghex2.

5. in the konsole with root access type: kate /usr/share/compiz/animation.xml

6. find “magic_lamp_max_waves”, look for following “<min>3</min>”, change “3″ to “0″

7. save it and close.

8. type exit in konsole and then close it.

Now restart compiz fusion, and open compiz fusion settings manager and go to animations. In the minimize animation choose magic lamp and set the duration.

In the effect settings tab change the minimum number of waves to 0.

Congratulations, you now have the authentic OS X Genie Effect!

Note that without any major architectural changes to Compiz Fusion, this patch will almost be guaranteed to work in any future versions. So if it breaks in next upgrade, fix it!

Enjoy :D

Wow, snakeeyes, great tutorial.

Is it entirely your work?

not entirely cause I got some help in finding the files needed to edit :)

Dont suppose you know if you could get the other mac osx effect?

Dont know what it's called but i'm talkin about the opening effect, for example when you double click a HD icon on the desktop and it opens finder?

I think thats slightly similar to the zoom effect, but u have to edit the effect settings to not zoom from the center so then they will zoom in from your mouse pointer, it won't be the same thing as OS X but similar.

Edit

Oh yeah I think other other people know about this hack as well, we used to discuss it on the compiz forums before.

I am especially glad that you like it, erei33 :D

As a whole it feels so crisp, professional and polished. The installer is easy to use and again very professional feeling. With the Live CD I had 'out of the box' support for internet, sound, and full resolution. It isn't bloated and remains as solid as a rock in terms of stability.

Unless you need Windows for a specific application, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't just use this for free.

Slightly OT: I have helped a bit with bug squashing (very little, honestly) and now I have been offered a free commercial box, worth 59.95EUR.

Don't you think that it is really nice from them? I can't imagine other commercial Linux distros doing that.

Slightly OT: I have helped a bit with bug squashing (very little, honestly) and now I have been offered a free commercial box, worth 59.95EUR.

Don't you think that it is really nice from them? I can't imagine other commercial Linux distros doing that.

You deserve it just for your avatar and the free advertising they get.

Can't help but think of SuSe everytime I see that green logo through these forums. ;)

You deserve it just for your avatar and the free advertising they get.

Can't help but think of SuSe everytime I see that green logo through these forums. :D

But they don't know my true identity :D

They know it only at Bugzilla.

But then for them its better to give 59 instead of having an employee.

iPoco

But I might have spent one or two hours, and I didn't expect any reward :P

But they don't know my true identity :)

They know it only at Bugzilla.

I wonder what they would do if they did know your identity :D

That is really nice and considerate of them though.

thats cool :)

• 3 weeks later...

Was keen to try Linux again after a long interval. For me it's still not as polished as OS X, the GUI I mean, the spacing, proportions... perhaps I just need to get used to the differences but the temptation to skin/theme is still there like it was for me with XP. Slick installer, though! Very impressed. A little dissapointed in the partition manager. I think it's a grower and a keeper, though. Thanks Alessandro17 for keeping that banner in my face :)