The OS X of the linux world is out.........

snakeeyes

92 posts in this topic

Well, imagine you use bittornado (it is the best for this purpose).

Imagine you have downloaded openSUSE-11.0-DVD-i386-iso.

Now download the appropriate torrent, open it with bittornado and start it in another directory, only for a few seconds.

Now replace the 0 bytes iso with the one you downloaded previously. Start bittornado again. It will check the existing files and, if needed, complete the download.

It might work with other clients as well, like ktorrent or bittorrent.

thanks :D I can't believe I didn't know about this, thanks again :police: downloading at full speed

if you manage to fully remove 3 and get 2 back on let me know

OK, here is how I did it:

Download firefox2-2.0.0.14-3.2.i586.rpm from here:

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idp...2.i586.rpm.html

Now download firefox2-translations-2.0.0.14-3.2.i586.rpm from here:

Open a terminal: # zypper remove firefox

Put the 2 rpms you downloaded in a new folder, imagine you name it "firefox"

Open a terminal:

# cd firefox

# rpm -Uvh *rpm

Done!

Please notice that # means that you need to work as root.

Edit: find the latest RPMs here:

ftp://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/repositor...nSUSE_11.0/i586

ftp://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/repositor...USE_11.0/x86_64

OK, here is how I did it:

Download firefox2-2.0.0.14-3.2.i586.rpm from here:

Now download firefox2-translations-2.0.0.14-3.2.i586.rpm from here:

Open a terminal: # zypper remove firefox

Put the 2 rpms you downloaded in a new folder, imagine you name it "firefox"

Open a terminal:

# cd firefox

# rpm -Uvh *rpm

Done!

Please notice that # means that you are working as root.

Thankyou, back on firefox 2 now :angel:

Wow! You manage to find some gorgeous wallpapers!

You still haven't replied my previous question where did you find your wallpapers (the green ones).

;) I didn't know u asked, fine I will upload them here.

Wait I will upload my favorite ones and give u a link.

post-214923-1214067586_thumb.jpg

Oh man, I have to say, I am SO totally impressed!

I think pretty much everyone here knows I'm the local KDE fanbot. Well, after the bad taste that KDE4 left in my mouth, and some glitches that the binary ATI drivers have with KDE3.5, I tried out the new GNOME. I must say, I am extremely impressed. Novell has done an excellent job implementing this. YaST is top-notch, Compiz has come a LONG way from when I last used it, and the general stability is much better than Ubuntu. I also love how they preinstall VMWare-tools if you run it in a VM, that was a stroke of pure brilliance. The only thing I'm disappointed about is that SaX2 screwed up my mouse. No wheel, no forward/back buttons. I think it's my KVM, but then again, Mac OS X and Wiindows have no problems working through the KVM. It works fine if I direct-connect it.

Still, as much as I like it, it's lacking the look and feel I'm used to, mostly because Linux doesn't have the fonts that Windows and Mac OS X do. So for those who like a consistent look and feel across their computers, check this out, it's a great guide of post-install stuff for OpenSUSE 11:

http://www.benkevan.com/blog/things-to-do-...g-opensuse-110/

Oh man, I have to say, I am SO totally impressed!

I think pretty much everyone here knows I'm the local KDE fanbot. Well, after the bad taste that KDE4 left in my mouth, and some glitches that the binary ATI drivers have with KDE3.5, I tried out the new GNOME. I must say, I am extremely impressed. Novell has done an excellent job implementing this. YaST is top-notch, Compiz has come a LONG way from when I last used it, and the general stability is much better than Ubuntu. I also love how they preinstall VMWare-tools if you run it in a VM, that was a stroke of pure brilliance. The only thing I'm disappointed about is that SaX2 screwed up my mouse. No wheel, no forward/back buttons. I think it's my KVM, but then again, Mac OS X and Wiindows have no problems working through the KVM. It works fine if I direct-connect it.

Still, as much as I like it, it's lacking the look and feel I'm used to, mostly because Linux doesn't have the fonts that Windows and Mac OS X do. So for those who like a consistent look and feel across their computers, check this out, it's a great guide of post-install stuff for OpenSUSE 11:

http://www.benkevan.com/blog/things-to-do-...g-opensuse-110/

I tried KDE4 in OpenSuse11, while the looks were nice i had numerous problems from the start and choppy animations, if KDE fix this and it would become a very nice desktop manage, still dont like having no desktop icons though.

Compiz fusion is very stable these days, very smooth as well, alot better than "aero/dwm" that m$ managed to put out.

I felt gnome was very polished/smooth looking and i've had no real problems so far, wheel/forward/back buttons are fine for me?

Fonts have always been an issue in linux but looking around you can find certain things to make them look ALOT better :)

I tried KDE4 in OpenSuse11, while the looks were nice i had numerous problems from the start and choppy animations, if KDE fix this and it would become a very nice desktop manage, still dont like having no desktop icons though.

Compiz fusion is very stable these days, very smooth as well, alot better than "aero/dwm" that m$ managed to put out.

I felt gnome was very polished/smooth looking and i've had no real problems so far, wheel/forward/back buttons are fine for me?

Fonts have always been an issue in linux but looking around you can find certain things to make them look ALOT better :)

On the default kde 4 I had a few issues but updates r coming out very very fast and they r getting fixed quickly for example I couldn't eject my dvd using the recently plugged in devices widget but an update today fixed it so I think in a month kde 4 will be very stable on suse, even though most of use will be on 4.1 in a month. :P

Thanks! Did you create them?

no :D , found some on deviantart, some kde-look and some on forums ;) I am adding 2 more check in 5 minutes

Edit:

here r 2 more:

http://snake1990.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/slickness.jpg

http://snake1990.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/slickness2.jpg

Edit 2:

Guess who is jealous of openSUSE's new theme, read here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=836417

:D

Hahaha, that made my day!

Thanks for the wallpapers, I'll replace mine (which I have been using for too long) with one of them.

no problem :(

Edit

oh yeah, did u read the part where one member says he was embarrassed to show his or her desktop to others, that part was the best, what a looser that person is :):P

wait a few days, I have been getting many updates and all the bugs I have encountered so far have been fixed and some of them have been assigned already to get fixed, for example flash in konqueror didn't work till an update yesterday, I think flash only works in opensuse's kde 4 konqueror and no one else's but I could be wrong so correct me :(

I had another bug in which the recently plugged device would not eject the dvd tray once clicking eject and it got fixed today :)

wait a few days, I have been getting many updates and all the bugs I have encountered so far have been fixed and some of them have been assigned already to get fixed, for example flash in konqueror didn't work till an update yesterday, I think flash only works in opensuse's kde 4 konqueror and no one else's but I could be wrong so correct me :(

I had another bug in which the recently plugged device would not eject the dvd tray once clicking eject and it got fixed today :)

Exactly. Bug fixes keep pouring in. I helped them fix a major one.

Unfortunately yesterday I fried my old DSL modem, so right now I am on dial-up. But I' should get a new one delivered either tomorrow or Tuesday.

Exactly. Bug fixes keep pouring in. I helped them fix a major one.

Unfortunately yesterday I fried my old DSL modem, so right now I am on dial-up. But I' should get a new one delivered either tomorrow or Tuesday.

cool, I have reported like 4 of them but now there r only 2 upstream bugs left, I know for a fact that they r upstream cause vanilla kde 4.1 has them, one is that even though the webcam is detected it doesn't display image in kde 4 apps but works fine in 3.5 and gnome apps.

Second is with openoffice writer and compositing and maybe nvidia (not sure) plasma widgets are not drawn correctly and they flicker as long as writer is on focus. This is another one they r trying to fix themselves and if they fix this then they would be the first distro to do that :)

In order to dual boot with OS X haven't u always needed rEFIt?

yeah but the OpenSUSE 11.0 installer fails when it gets round to Grub. It wont install to the partition because it isn't compatible with the GPT/MBR hybrid. Most other distros have fixed this now :)

Hahaha, that made my day!

Thanks for the wallpapers, I'll replace mine (which I have been using for too long) with one of them.

It's not so much how Ubloatu looks (that's easily changed), but how poorly it performs and how bug ridden it is. Suse has always been more polished and professional, though, somewhat harder to configure and use. Still quite easy. Ubuntu is made for kids so they can say, "look, ma, I's can runs Linux two!" Suse can actually be used in a business setting without your sysadmin laughing real hard while putting a boot in procurement's ass.

It's not so much how Ubloatu looks (that's easily changed), but how poorly it performs and how bug ridden it is. Suse has always been more polished and professional, though, somewhat harder to configure and use. Still quite easy. Ubuntu is made for kids so they can say, "look, ma, I's can runs Linux two!" Suse can actually be used in a business setting without your sysadmin laughing real hard while putting a boot in procurement's ass.

I agree but honestly I still like an OS that looks good. :)