• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

systimax

systimax

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Im getting terrible file transfer speeds from a winxp box to shared folders in OSX. Anyone know where I can start to trouble shoot the speed?

Is this normal for OSX on Intel?

Is there a setting in Osx that shows the duplex/speed of the card so I can rule out that first before I look at Samba?

thanks

jbjonas

jbjonas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Interests:OSx86 ;-) <br />Networking<br />VW<br />Electronica<br />Cosmol...
I have the same problem... I haven't found a solution though. I think it may be a limitation of SAMBA... However, you can set your card as duplex or full duplex, or whatever using the Preferences, Network, and use the pull down menu to find the options... :thumbsdown_anim:

xiberia

xiberia

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
i share files between my XP box and OSX box, and its as fast as Xp to XP was. (although I mainly browse Windows folders from my OSX, rather than the other way around).

ut2211

ut2211

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
This fix was given by Maxxuss a few months ago:

sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0

I hope this works for you too.

systimax

systimax

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
do you know how to turn the default back on after using this? wasnt this for vmware users?

jbjonas

jbjonas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Interests:OSx86 ;-) <br />Networking<br />VW<br />Electronica<br />Cosmol...
Got me, I tried the "sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0" thing, with no difference in transfer speed... still slow as hell copying files to a NTFS drive over the network.

systimax- did you ever find the duplex etc options? they are in the network Pref pane... look around a bit.

BaselineAce

BaselineAce

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
Months later... Any improvements?

quixos

quixos

InsanelyMac Legend

• Retired
  • 943 posts
i can upload to XP from OSX at full speed, but can not download from XP to OSX at a useful speed.

there must be some magic configuration edit somewhere, cause i get full speed up/down from XP to my OS X using Parallels.

BaselineAce

BaselineAce

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

i can upload to XP from OSX at full speed, but can not download from XP to OSX at a useful speed.

Same.

Bryon

Bryon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Same.

Same here and I am on a real MacTel plus I had the same exact problem on my IMac G3 a few years ago. OS9 was file but when I went to OSX it started. It is not the hardware as I tried Linux on the G3 and everything was fine. Somehow OSX is throttaling the upload speed. I have asked this question many times over the years and never found an answer to the problem.

jrsdead

jrsdead

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Have you tried this:
Modify the launchd entry of SMBD process (org.samba.smbd) by adding a new program argument:
-F (newline after the /usr/sbin/smbd)

found here http://www.macintouc.../topic4071.html

jrsdead

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy