InsanelyMac Forum
  • Announcements

• Allan

Solution to create a topic or post.   04/24/2018

Hello guys. The majority of you are having issues to create a topic or post here. This are a problem with our current theme InsanelyMac.  Now the theme will be the Default IPS. Sorry for any inconvenience.
systimax

Slow Windows FIle sharing for anyone? Samba

Im getting terrible file transfer speeds from a winxp box to shared folders in OSX. Anyone know where I can start to trouble shoot the speed?

Is this normal for OSX on Intel?

Is there a setting in Osx that shows the duplex/speed of the card so I can rule out that first before I look at Samba?

thanks

Advertisement

I have the same problem... I haven't found a solution though. I think it may be a limitation of SAMBA... However, you can set your card as duplex or full duplex, or whatever using the Preferences, Network, and use the pull down menu to find the options... :thumbsdown_anim:

i share files between my XP box and OSX box, and its as fast as Xp to XP was. (although I mainly browse Windows folders from my OSX, rather than the other way around).

This fix was given by Maxxuss a few months ago:

sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0

I hope this works for you too.

Got me, I tried the "sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0" thing, with no difference in transfer speed... still slow as hell copying files to a NTFS drive over the network.

systimax- did you ever find the duplex etc options? they are in the network Pref pane... look around a bit.

i can upload to XP from OSX at full speed, but can not download from XP to OSX at a useful speed.

there must be some magic configuration edit somewhere, cause i get full speed up/down from XP to my OS X using Parallels.

Same.

Same here and I am on a real MacTel plus I had the same exact problem on my IMac G3 a few years ago. OS9 was file but when I went to OSX it started. It is not the hardware as I tried Linux on the G3 and everything was fine. Somehow OSX is throttaling the upload speed. I have asked this question many times over the years and never found an answer to the problem.