Slow Windows FIle sharing for anyone? Samba

11 posts in this topic

Im getting terrible file transfer speeds from a winxp box to shared folders in OSX. Anyone know where I can start to trouble shoot the speed?

Is this normal for OSX on Intel?

Is there a setting in Osx that shows the duplex/speed of the card so I can rule out that first before I look at Samba?

thanks

I have the same problem... I haven't found a solution though. I think it may be a limitation of SAMBA... However, you can set your card as duplex or full duplex, or whatever using the Preferences, Network, and use the pull down menu to find the options... :thumbsdown_anim:

Got me, I tried the "sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0" thing, with no difference in transfer speed... still slow as hell copying files to a NTFS drive over the network.

systimax- did you ever find the duplex etc options? they are in the network Pref pane... look around a bit.

• 3 months later...

i can upload to XP from OSX at full speed, but can not download from XP to OSX at a useful speed.

there must be some magic configuration edit somewhere, cause i get full speed up/down from XP to my OS X using Parallels.

• 1 month later...
Same.

Same here and I am on a real MacTel plus I had the same exact problem on my IMac G3 a few years ago. OS9 was file but when I went to OSX it started. It is not the hardware as I tried Linux on the G3 and everything was fine. Somehow OSX is throttaling the upload speed. I have asked this question many times over the years and never found an answer to the problem.