Complete Leopard build and Install from Scratch: Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2L

meansizzler

102 posts in this topic

How to build a MAC running Leopard 10.5.2

This Step by Step guide will show you how to build a fully functional MAC from standard PC components, ideal for those who always wanted to try mac but didn't really want to splash out on one, and those that don't want to splash out on an 8 Core Mac Pro, at the end of the day if you don't like it can can just install windows and you will have a fully functioning PC, but I won't be going into Dual Booting Windows/MAC.

Once built your system will perform just like a MAC, so no crashes and fully working standby mode, if you follow the guide step by step then you will be happy with the end result.

What You Need...

Hardware

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2L (£33)

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6420 (£117) any Core 2 Duo Listed here should work, but the E6420 runs very cool

Memory: 2 X 1024MB sticks of DDR2 667 (£31) you can use less but I don't recommend it

Graphics: PNY Nvidia 7600GT (£70) any brand 7600GT should be fine as long as it is 256MB and PCI-E

Hard Drive: SATA (£50) at Least 80GB

Optical Drive: SATA DVDRW (£22)

Other Stuff: PSU/Case (£100)

Software

Kalway Leopard DVD 10.5.1 "KALWAY_LEO_10.5.1_intel_SSE2_SSE3" This is the Mac OS Leopard DVD which has been modified to run on a PC

Kalway Combo Update "KalywayUpdCombo10.5.2.pkg" 10.5.2 System Update

Kalway Kernel Update "kalyway_10.5.2_kernels.mpkg" Kernel Update so system runs without any hiccups

Graphics Driver

Network Driver

Audio Patch

- BUILD MACHINE-

Please note this board has 4 SATA ports but only two Master Ports SATA 0, SATA 1 so you need to make sure your pirmary hard drive and optical drive are attached to these ports, if not

you will get problems.. i.e not being able to read or write discs

OS Install

1 - Setup BIOS as shown in screenshots below

Bios Screenshot 1

Bios Screenshot 2

Bios Screenshot 3

Bios Screenshot 4

Bios Screenshot 5

Bios Screenshot 6

Bios Screenshot 7

2 - Insert Disc, when the text comes up to press any key to boot it press any key, now wait 5 minutes or so till the disc fully boots

3 - Once your onto the welcome screen open up disc utility, select your hard drive and go to "ERASE" then Erase it [Screenshot 1] [Screenshot 2]

4 - Now In Disc Utility Select the "PARTITION" tab, Select "1 Partition" and Name it "MacDrive", Select Format "Mac Os Extended Journaled" , do not press apply yet [Screenshot]

- Select "OPTIONS" and choose Partition Scheme "GUID Partition Table", press OK [Screenshot]

- Now Press APPLY to Format the Partition, once done close disc Utility

5 - Now onto installing the OS, select the drive to install it to "MacDrive" and press Continue [Screenshot]

- From the Install Summary Window select "Customize" and tick all the options shown below, i.e Vanilla_Kernel, Vanilla_ACPI_fix, AZALIA_out, BOOT_efi_guid then hit DONE, from Install Summery window press INSTALL [Screenshot] [Screenshot 2]

6 - Now complete the rest of the steps to start the install, should be done in 15 minutes and you should be greeted with Successful Install Message if it worked out ok.., if not repeat steps 1-5 again and double check what you type/select eg. in BIOS

7 - After the Successful install message the system will reboot as soon as it does and the POST screen comes up remove the cd as you no longer need it, now wait till the OS boots, you might get a blank screen but be patient, do not restart

Patches

- Now the OS should be booted install graphics and network drivers then restart

1 - Once rebooted and mac os has loaded insert your USB or cd with the 10.5.2 combo update and run KalywayUpdCombo10.5.2.pkg, restart the computer, you will be greeted with a blank or blue screen for a few minutes, then the system will reboot but this is normal so don't worry

- You will get a blank/bluescreen for a few minutes so be patient and don't restart, usually last 2-3 minutes

- Once your the OS has loaded open disc utility and "repair permissions", restart the system [Screenshot]

2 - Install the Kalway Kernel Update "kalyway_10.5.2_kernels.mpkg", choose the "Kernel_Vanilla" option as shown in screenshot, then restart the pc [Screenshot]

3 - Run Software Update and install the updates as needed, refer to screenshot, try to avoid major system ones just the ones you need i.e use logic [Screenshot]

4 - Now install the Audio Patch, please note the sound "Line out" is already working so only install the patch if you need mic/line in and spdif out but doing so will disable the slider voulme control, so you can only control the volume in the app you are using eg.. itunes..

5 - Install any other drivers you need, and then your apps, you can run any app that works on a bog standard Intel mac and supports Leopard, also run the software update after installing apps as some of them need to be updated in order to run propeprly, eg... ilife, turn off apple update, only turn it on when you need to update...

You now have a fully working mac, with working sleep function, try putting it to sleep, mine goes to sleep in 2 seconds and wakes up in about 5, no probs at all, no messing with bios functions or drivers unlike pc's.. I recommend Purchasing Elgato Eytv and a supported TV Tuner, much better experience than MCE, as the system can be completely off and it will still wake up to record scheduled recordings, something a pc can not do..

Enjoy...

Hardware Upgrades

Your limited when it comes to hardware expansion/upgrades, their are a lot of PCI-E cards that work, eg.. Capture Cards/SATA Controllers just got to check the manufactures site for Leopard Drivers. Since the Intel Mac's don't have any PCI slots their all PCI-E most PCI cards won't work since nobody bothers writing drivers for them.

If your looking for a Wifi Card then the D-Link DWA-547 is reported as working, it's PCI and detected as an Official Airport Express Card so you won't have any trouble, there are other Wifi cards that work both PCI/USB but their not detected as Airport Cards instead they act as wired ethernet cards to the system and come with a 3rd Party Wireless Utility

There are a few USB sound cards that work, but Macs always had basic audio, the Line Out on it is good enough for me, but if you want something with a few more inputs/outputs then try this EDIROL UA-1EX

If you need a bluetooth adapter then this works without any drivers Asus WL-BTD201M

For a list of compatible hardware then check out this page, feel free to add to it OSx86 HCL 10.5.2

Thanks for the tip, meansizzler. I appreciate it. I just ordered very similiar motherboad. It's named GA-945GCM-S2C. It has only 10/100 Lan, not 1G as S2L. By wiki it works without any additional drivers. It's in stock in local shop, so I choosed this one. They both have the same price, about $60.

My processor will be Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2140 (1,6GHz 1MB 800MHz 775pin BOX). It costs about $80.

By wiki, integrated GMA950 should work, what do you think? Nevermind, I need DVI output. My choice is fanless Gigabyte GeForce 7300GT for $60.

I won't change rest of my configuration. It's cheap, but quality solution, from my point of view.

Never used the Intel 950, I heard it suffer from tearing, the 7300GT should be fine, try the NVinject with it, most people seem to haveit to to work, by I say go for a 7600GT as you canplay games with it, can play guitar hero at 1680*1050 with all settings on high, works fine no frame drops, also you can put a fanless cooler on it, check my sig, I installed a Zalman Passive cooler on it, it occupies the slot above it not the one below, so if the PCI-E x16 is 2nd slot, 1 slot you can't use, but 3rd and 4th you can, as for audio if it's the ALC662 then line out works with the HD Audio Kext, but if you want spdif/line in/mic then you have to install the patch I posted, but this disables the system volume control/OSD, have a look on ebay for the SPDIF module, I used an Asus one which they seem to be plenty of, just got to match the pins to it, pretty straight forward, PM me if you buy it and need to know how...

... I just ordered very similiar motherboad. It's named GA-945GCM-S2C. It has only 10/100 Lan, not 1G as S2L. By wiki it works without any additional drivers. It's in stock in local shop, so I choosed this one. They both have the same price, about $60... My processor will be Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2140 (1,6GHz 1MB 800MHz 775pin BOX). It costs about $80... I won't change rest of my configuration. It's cheap, but quality solution, from my point of view.

I have almost the exact same setup; You won't be sorry. It's probably good that you're going with a third-party video card, as the GMA950 does cause tearing with certain applications.

Just about the only thing you'll have to patch is the audio. Good luck.

... It's probably good that you're going with a third-party video card, as the GMA950 does cause tearing with certain applications.

Yes, I heard about some glitches (Firefox etc.) with this card. GMA950 needs additional card for the DVI input. 7300GT is twice more expensive, but it is fully compatible.

I'm only scared about my PATA (IDE) DVD drive. Will it work? Only for setup, then I'm going to disconnect it. Does anybody know? Thank you.

EDIT: And what about PS2 mouse and keyboard? I like them, It's masterpiece from IBM. :lol:

I'm only scared about my PATA (IDE) DVD drive. Will it work? Only for setup, then I'm going to disconnect it. Does anybody know? Thank you. EDIT: And what about PS2 mouse and keyboard? I like them, It's masterpiece from IBM. :D

My IDE DVD RW drive works just fine. I haven't tested the PS/2.

Thanks for that excellent advice Meansizzler.

I am planning a similar machine but would ideally like to include firewire and/or esata unless that would compromise the simplicity or reliability of the setup.

I have glazed over looking at Gigabyte & Asus websites and would be grateful for your advice on choice of micro atx mobo.

Thanks,

Roger

GA-945GCM-SL2 is very good mainboard. It obtains recommendation from me. It`s the cheapest fully working solution i have ever heard about.

Everything works out of the box with Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1. Installation took about 15 minutes.

Only problem is with GMA950 GPU, because of resolution 1680x1050. If you have any other, higher or lower, it will be all right.

After installation, I had to connect USB keyboard and set keyboard type. After reset works my PS2 keyboard again, I can disconnect the one with USB. PS2 mouse OK.

Only thing which is not working is audio output on the front of the case, it`s only small problem I noticed.

Thanks again for brilliant tip, meansizzler. You`re my hero. :(

I'm looking at the NewEgg pics of the mobo and don't see an SPDIF. The Gigabyte site says that the board has SPDIF out support, but doesn't list a port on the back panel.

What am I missing here?

http://www.giga-byte.com.tw/Products/Mothe...e=GA-945GCM-S2L

Further googling shows that there is a three pronged plug in the upper left of the pic:

http://www.links.co.jp/html/press2/image/945gcms2l-b01.jpg

Is this a connector for a coax SPDIF?

You can get the Asus Spdif mobo from ebay and match the pins up, PM me when you buyit then let me know

GA-945GCM-SL2 is very good mainboard. It obtains recommendation from me. It`s the cheapest fully working solution i have ever heard about.Everything works out of the box with Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1. Installation took about 15 minutes.
I have a few problems..-My Optical drive only reads discs, doesn't but them,get the "Logical Hardware Failure" Message, it's an IDE Pioneer 109XL connected via an IDE to SATA convertor, does your drive burn discs?, if so what dirve and what connection?-Blank screen when switch on, you get the apple logo then machine boots into os and it's working i.e, volume works, records tv, just no image on screen, does this sometimes at random, so now I just leave machine to sleep as it wakes up fine everytime, try to avoid shutting it down .. using an Nvidia 7600GTand have allonline updates installed....Let me know if you have any similar problem

My Optical drive only reads discs, doesn't but them,get the "Logical Hardware Failure" Message, it's an IDE Pioneer 109XL connected via an IDE to SATA convertor, does your drive burn discs?

1. What about PatchBurn? It should help.

2. Try to update Pioneer`s firmware (official page)

3. Sorry, my drive is not able to write to DVDs. It reads DVD, but can burn only CDs. It`s connected via PATA (IDE). Try to unplug converter and plug it straight to the MOBO.

4. You have AHCI mode turned on in BIOS?

Does anyone know this? Does SpeedStep work?

Look at http://my.macdotnub.info/content/view/15/28/,

http://netkas.org/?p=51 and

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...651#entry623982.

Sleep and SpeedStep doesn`t work for me out of the box. It should work with another kernel. I`m running Mac on a overclocked CPU, I don`t need to use it. But sleep is very useful, I`ll try get it work next week.

meansizzler> AHCI: Sorry, it was stupid mistake. It was important on my previous motherboard.

S/PDIF capable - I did some more research and found out the following -

coax and optical s/pdif are essentially the same thing - if you hook up the current from a coax connection to the solder points of an optical out, the LED will function fine.

So you can either buy the $10 adapter plate, or solder pin connectors to a cable to an RCA jack finagled into the back plate. You'll only get coax, but that's all that's necessary.

I went through the installation however when it restart from the disk it keeps restarting constaintly. It hasn't got to the gray screen yet and then restart. Any ideas?

CPU: intel pentium D 930 presler

Mainboard: GA-945GCM-S2C

2GB ram

I went through the installation however when it restart from the disk it keeps restarting constaintly. It hasn't got to the gray screen yet and then restart. Any ideas?

CPU: intel pentium D 930 presler

Mainboard: GA-945GCM-S2C

2GB ram

I listed the Core2Duo CPU as the build not pentium D, you will have to look through the forum to see what options you need to choose from the kalway install disc based on your cpu, you can pick up a C2D for $90....

Also make sure your BIOS settigns arethe same as in the screenshot, and your HD and Optical Drive are connected to the MASTER SATA Connectors

I have a few problems..-My Optical drive only reads discs, doesn't but them,get the "Logical Hardware Failure" Message, it's an IDE Pioneer 109XL connected via an IDE to SATA convertor, does your drive burn discs?, if so what dirve and what connection?
Hi, I recognise your nick from AVForums. Are you fed-up with Windows Media Center then?:-)

That's a nice little tutorial that you have put together that I could have used a couple of months ago. I have been playing about with OSX86 for a year or more but there was always some problem that prevented it working 100%. Now with Leopard you choose the right components to purchase you can have a 100% functioing Hackintosh at a bargain price. For my first purpose built Hackintosh I used a very similar motherboard to yours the GA-945GCM-S2C which I actually ordered by mistake instead of the GA-945GCM-S2L. It's almost identical but has a Fast Ethernet instead of the Gigabit Ethernet of your board. I used a C2D E4500 2.2GHz which is an amazingly over-clockable CPU (2.86GHz on the stock cooler in the GA-945GCM-S2C & now at least 3.3GHz passively cooled with a Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme in a GA-P35-DS3P).

With regard to your optical drive problem. I used a S-ATA burner a Pioneer DVR-212 which works perfectly.

I used a C2D E4500 2.2GHz which is an amazingly over-clockable CPU (2.86GHz on the stock cooler in the GA-945GCM-S2C & now at least 3.3GHz passively cooled with a Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme in a GA-P35-DS3P).
An update I have now achieved 3.52Ghz with passive cooling with a Geekbench score of 4559!!! It's an amazing CPU.

BTW I never noticed any problems with the on-board GMA950 graphics. I will be using the board again soon when I build another system so will double check that all is OK. Without an extra graphics card it's a great bargain as a hackintosh although it is VGA only not DVI.

Mr Nigel, I was going to ask you the same thing if your an AVF member, any luck getting the Floppy DTV Working with eytv?, I heard that Elgato's own DVB-S tuner is based on the Floppy DTV S, maybe there is chance of the S2 FLoppy working?, sorted out the SATA DVD Burner, the mobo only has two SATA Master ports, has the DVDRW on a Salve SATA port hence not working properly, updated the guide with that, also changed the graphics driver to Natit asI got the Blank screen problem sometimes when starting up but found out the Leopard Graphics Update is the casue of that....

Check out my Sig for my OSX Build, pretty neat little system, Passive CPU cooler only running it at stock speed though, can easily overclock but can't change the memory speed so it limits the overclock, cpu runs pretty cool, 28-31 Idle and 35-40 Load, only fans in the system is the 120MM 1000RPM Nexus in the PSU and two front 120mm fans, one Nexus Running at 1000RPM and a 1000RPM Scythe, if I run all the Fans at 7V you wouldn't be able to hear anthing, literally will be silent, even the laptop hard drives are encased in silent enclosures....

As for MCE, it has it advantages over eytv, much better GUIDE searching, series scheduling and far better multiple tuner handling...

check my post at eytv to see it's problems...

http://forums.elgato.com/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=2037

I have an E6600 in my Gaming PC Overclocked to 3.45GHZ, took like 5 seconds to overclock it, happy with it idles at 38-45 and doesn't go over 55 Degrees at load, speaking of Quiet if you think my OSX build it Quiet my Gaming System Has 7 120MM Fans yet makes less noise...heh

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44236

The E6420 is a great CPU for the OSX build though runs very cooling, Tried the E6600 in there and runs like 50 degrees idle at stock...,

Anyway the OSX build is far cheaper than the Passive MCE HFX Mini Build I had specced up, check my AVF Blog for more details

Don't mention it, shame there are not a lot other peeps like me willing to help others out this much, anyway works great as a media center setup, much better than windows as it wakes up records and goes to sleep every time
While I'm sure I and the rest of the staff appreciate your contribution to this forum, to make such a ridiculous statement undermines you and your tutorial.

I posted some stuff to go into the HCL 10.5.2 wiki thread, but the mods are not putting it in the wiki, just trying to help out and they can't even be bothered putting my info in their, Lazy B*stards
The first post in the 10.5.2 thread has:
Important Note:

The Wiki is now open to the public
:D
so if members wish they may go there directly and enter their details. Please remember to fill in the Computer/Laptop sections if your system is a prebuilt one as well as the Components section.

Also if you've already inputted your details in the Wiki then you should
not
also post them in this thread! It will only be deleted and causes the process of updating the wiki from here to slow down.

If you managed to miss that, then then there was skyhighmacs brilliant guide showing members how to add their system info in the wiki.

Now I agree more of the posts in those threads should have been added to the wiki by the Wiki Team because there are supposed to be four of them (which the staff will look into), but you really can't complain when you can very easily do something about it (add it yourself).

Furthermore, even if you have an issue, to call the Wiki Team (even though you thought you were directing it at the Mods) "Lazy B*stards", is not only extremely offensive towards staff, it's plan idiotic. Why do I say this? Because you too are the one being a "Lazy B*stards".

As a result you're been given a warning and a temporary weeks ban.

I suggest you use the time off learning how to add entries to a wiki. If you want I can find some 7 year old to teach you.

THREAD CLEANED!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 99% there, only restart does not work (sleep and shut down do), and it won't give me 1920*1200 when running headless.

Finally got a processor yesterday (E6700) and assembled the system:

Prices include shipping and tax and are somewhat rounded.

gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2C $55 at NewEgg

E6700 free (I have an E8300 engineering sample on the way - $90 on eBay)

2GB corsair DDR800 RAM $38 after rebate at NewEgg

ASUS SATA DVD drive $40 from NewEgg

Thermaltake 430W PSU $27 from eBay

OrigenAE X11 HTPC case $100

PNY 7300GT $38 from Compuvest (note that they advertised new, but sent me a used, but working card)

Intel Extreme stock cooler $17

320GB HD free from a dead tivo

Assuming $50 for a HD, and $90 for the processor, total hardware cost was $438, and that's with a great aluminum case. My initial goal was under $400, but I just couldn't go with a fugly case.

Xbenched at 178 @2.66 GHz, and 209 at 3.33 GHz. For whatever reason, it overclocked by default and I had to turn it down.

Using MPlayer, played 1080p mkv files flawlessly. I suspect that it's possible to cobble together a 1080p system for just under $300.

What I did:

step 1: update to the F5 firmware. Quick and painless to get from Gigabyte, unzip, place on thumbdrive, install.

step 2: changed BOIS settings to close to MeanSizzler's - I used the smartfan, and I forget what else.

step 3: decided to experiment and just go for it with KalyWay 10.5.2 (worst case I reformat and follow MeanSizzler)

used the vanilla kernal, nvinject256, and I forget what else (I should have taken notes). I picked the options that looked the closest to MeanSizzler's 10.5.1 instructions.

step 4: applied the network and sound patches as per MeanSizzler.

step 5: harvested the optical out from a dead Tivo and soldered jumpers to plug it into the mobo (works fine). Note that my previous post was in error - the LED requires an additional power lead to be connected, not just the two coax leads.

It appears that everything except restart works (I'm about to try MeanSizzler's other patch fixes).

I've not yet run Software update, and I'm not sure if my circa 1990 Apple Extended Keyboard II will work via a USB - ADB adapter, as the adapter is A.W.O.L. Not an important point, as I don't plan on using a keyboard - screen sharing works perfectly.

A few thoughts -

1080p mkvs look / sound PERFECT

I'm a bit surprised that this worked so well on my very first attempt

screen sharing rules

this worked so well that I'm lurking on eBay to get cheap parts for my next Hackintosh - a silent, water cooled, dual 771 X5355 beast for (I hope) under $1,750.

Finally, to MeanSizzler, Kaly, and countless others who have contributed here, Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!!! I owe you many beers.