Complete Leopard build and Install from Scratch: Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2L

meansizzler

102 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
I have this mobo. I am trying to install a Dynex Wifi card that the HCL says will work. Any clues why its not showing up in anything? It's PCI

What is the controller chip on this one- can you see it on the card? Only a few chips are supported "natively" by OS X. For other supported cards, you would need to install a driver. When I looked in the HCL the only Dynex card mentioned needed a driver patch to be installed- did you do this?

The other problem that happens with many cards is that the manufacturer will change chipsets, so it is not even guaranteed that the card you have is the same type as mentioned in the HCL.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi there from a Mac greenhorn.This is exactly the kind of thing I'm thinking of.My 'board is a MSI 945GCM7-F. I presume it will work the same way? All the drives will be SATA with 2GB RAM and a 500GB hard drive.Where can I get the corrct O/S from.

Hi meansizzler,

I just tried to follow your BIOS instructions but for some reason those pages cannot be found anymore. Can you please provide another place or send them to me directly?

Thanks,

Sovy

Try these they work great:

My Bios Settings:

advanced

limit cpuid max to 3 - disabled

no-execute memory protect - enabled

cpu enhanced halt (c1e) - disabled

cpu thermal monitor 2 (tm2) - disabled

cpu eist function - disabled

integrated peripherals

on-chip primary ide - enabled

on-chip secondary ide - enabled

on chip sata - auto

usb controller - enabled

usb 2.0 controller - enabled

usb keyboard - enabled

usb mouse - enabled

legacy usb storage - disabled

azalia codec - auto

onboard lan - enabled

onboard lan boot rom - enabled (i think this fixes some intermittent bonjour issues, but not sure)

onboard serial port - disabled

onboard parallel port - disabled

power management

acpi suspend type - s3

:D

Hi,

I'm hoping that someone might help me on this thread.

I have read in the posts that you all have an Intel 945 Chipset.

I would like the DSDT from this board so that i can compare it with my laptops DSDT file.

I hope this would allow me to fix the DSDT file so that I can get 2 CPU's to work on most HP laptops based on the Intel 945 Chipset.

To get the DSDT file you need to read the following topic for instructions:

DSDT Patcher

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

AB

Strange, but I can't get this thing to work right. I had great luck with an ASROCK Conroe a while back, but Newegg didn't have them anymore. My specs are as follows:

E7300 2.66 Intel Core 2 Dou

WD SATA 500GB Hard Drive

4GB Corsair DDR2

Samsung DVD Burner SATA

Gigabyte 945GCM-S2C

Gigabyte GeForce 8500GT 512MB video 1DVI 1 VGA

I've tried using the bios specs from Dude5000. All seem fine, but never can get sound to work. With azalia-out patch on Kalyway or using the audio patch by meansizzler. Very strange. The whole things seems unstable and when I start with Kalyway 10.5.1 I sometimes get 10.5.2 combo to take but it breaks on the 10.5.3 combo.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,

Tracy

Strange, but I can't get this thing to work right. I had great luck with an ASROCK Conroe a while back, but Newegg didn't have them anymore. My specs are as follows:

E7300 2.66 Intel Core 2 Dou

WD SATA 500GB Hard Drive

4GB Corsair DDR2

Samsung DVD Burner SATA

Gigabyte 945GCM-S2C

Gigabyte GeForce 8500GT 512MB video 1DVI 1 VGA

I've tried using the bios specs from Dude5000. All seem fine, but never can get sound to work. With azalia-out patch on Kalyway or using the audio patch by meansizzler. Very strange. The whole things seems unstable and when I start with Kalyway 10.5.1 I sometimes get 10.5.2 combo to take but it breaks on the 10.5.3 combo.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,

Tracy

Update your BIOS?

Have you tried the iDeneb v3 10.5.5 instead of Kalyway 10.5.1?

When it breaks can you boot into safemode -x at Darwin prompt?

If so it's usually graphics card/sound card related.

If it's graphic/sound card related back up the relevent kexts before updating with the combo packs, when it breaks replace them with the backed up kext'ed.

Hope this helps.

AB

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, i installed Idened on my hackintosh, it boots up normaly.

I have a problem with my graphique card. When i boot, the screen stays blue untill i put my hack in sleep and wake it!

I have a problem with the S video going into my TV. When i boot up, i can see the Grey screen with the apple, but then nothing, like no signal.

I have a 8400 GS, and installed all the Nvidia things during the install.

Thanks

Here is how I upgraded my Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2L with special thanks to the topic opener: meansizzler

I am in 10.5.5 now and remember there is not a lot you have to do with this mobo which is a excellent partner with Hackintosh!

Ethernet *********= working

Bluetoot *********= working

Audio ***********= digital out, line out, Microphone in, line in (all prerfect)

Sleep ***********= working and also screen saver

Video ***********= working with all native reselotion and mirrow, dual monitors!

Issues, bugs *****= none!

Remember when you upgrade lets say from 10.5.2, do it in steps so first to 10.5.3 and than to 10.5.4 and so on.

Before you upgrade open the terminal in aplication and after that Utilities and type:

sudo su -

[enter]

type no on requested your password and [enter]

now type:

while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done

Now you update!

once update finished, press ctrl-c in terminal window, to stop script, don’t press restart !

Follow the many things before reboot as posted here but this mobo is waterproof and there is no big risc in losing your system.

I just typed after F8 -v and it went with no issues.

BUT: If you don't want to lose sound, Ethernet and such before you reboot use 2_kalyway_10.5.3_kernel.pkg after the update and don't use the combo update from Mac but the update..links are here as well.

Now if you do all that and you reach to 10.5.5. and you do the 2_kalyway_10.5.3_kernel.pkg you wanna do something different and that is to have sound in and out!

Now what you have to do first is get rit of the old kenels such as AppleHDA.kext and AppleAzaliaAudio.kext you can locate them in /extentions folder.

Than download the new drivers which are easy..yes very easy to install at: http://www.kexts.com/index.php?controller=...xt=5&kid=25 (please donate as I did)

Now just reboot and you are done.

I hope this posting will be in use of some one....

• 3 weeks later...

This is how i managed to install Leopard with iPC OSX86 DVD to my rig.

Mobo : Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2L

CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13Ghz o/c 2.79Ghz

RAM : Apacer DDR2 2Gb 800mhz SDRAM

GPU : Palit Ati Radeon HD3850 512mb

HDD : Seagate Serial-ATA 400gb

DVD : IDE DVD Rom

1. Boot iPC with -v to enter the verbose mode

2. Partition the HDD using diskutility (In my case 1.Vista Ultimate: 80gb 2.iPC Leopard 80gb

3.Backup : 30gb 4.Storage : 200gb)

3. Install Vista on first partition (If dual boot)

4. Install iPC on second partition.Choose customize

5. Select iPC 10.5.6 Base System, Dual Boot Time Sync, Shutdown/Restart Fix, PS/2 Keyboard

fix, AppleSMBIOS-27 Rev3 667Mhz, Pacifist, and Kext Helper B7.

6. Finish install, reboot with -v -x flag. Continue to cofigure your newly installed Mac.

7. Open the iPC DVD and install Audio Drivers (ALC 662) via pacifist.

8. Use the link below to install Video Drivers.

9. Repair Disk Permissions, cross finger, sacrifice small animal, do a satanic ritual, and reboot.

Thanks to all, who had make it possible for poor people to run Apple (LOL)

Thanks Kalyway,PCwiz,Meansizzler and all that have been my inspirations.

Ati Radeon HD 3800 512Mb:

http://www.adrive.com/public/8d881193aab7c...7df52e369a.html

Hi all,

after a couple months using this motherboard and following this thread I want to share some good things I found.

SOUND DRIVERS FOR ALC 662 FOUND IN OUR GA-945-S2L MOTHERBOARD:

A better driver than the one posted here exists in this thread in the post #80 by Carti:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=133460

and you can download it here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=39961

it is reported by the author and by me to work as:

Line Out (green back) working.

Line In (blue back) doesnt work.

Mic (pink back) working (but u have to choose mic number 2).

Headphones (green front) working very nice

Mic (pink front) working as mic2 (yes, the same from back, i see no problem anyway).

Digital Out? (not tested yet)

A good advice for when you want to use this drivers are to install Soundsource, a free application from Rogue Amoeba that can be found free to download in his website:

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/download/SoundSource.dmg

REBOOTING FIXED (really?)

It has been given to me a KEXT to fix the rebooting problem of this motherboard that I installed with Kexthelper 0.7 in my Kaliway 10.5.3 install, and made my whole install unable to boot, though Dolcezeus reported me to be working. If anybody could make it work it would be nice if this person could post how could this person succeed.

HARDWARE REPORTS

I want to report that the PNY Geforce 7600 GS graphics card I have works out of the box.

I am using a DVD RW DRU-190A that works perfectly for me. I have been reading here that it could only make work SATA drives, but mine is IDE and works out of the box perfectly, I can read and write with Toast without problems.

Legacy AppleHDA ALC662 kexts released

Link is here.

Now there is retail disk GA-945GCM-S2L! All analog outputs works fine, except Digital Out got only 2ch. Mic Rear seems to work as Line In.

This means you dont need to do kalyways/leo4all/iPC and then have your computer crash when 10.5.7 comes out when doing software update. Now you can do Boot-132/ EFI partition boot (munky's method) and have your computer working 100%. The only problem thereafter will be the mouse lag of Quicktime/iTunes (happens to all distros/retail hackintoshes) but that has TWO solutions (switch files or flash bios) and you will figure that out eventually.

I recommend using EFI Boot Partition by munky.

You need all of these as well as Voodoo Kernel (goes with that system.kext)

Seatbelt.kext is needed to fix dmg bug.

AppleSMBIOS.kext

dsmos.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext

LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

LegacyHDAController.kext

LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext

LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext

LegacyJMicronATA.kext

seatbelt.kext

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

System.kext

You could replace IONetworking with another kext like Realtek1000.kext

All these kexts make up the EFI partition that you can make very easily.

where is this retail disk? oh, and if I install this legacy audio kext are all the ins and outs going to work? is it better than the one posted in the post #80 of this forum?: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=133460

Retail disk is the disk that is in Apple Store. 129$ Link. or you can get this retail disk off of bittorrent (the pirate bay) This legacy kext only works with Retail disk and the one in post 80# is for distributions. Distros suck, I have had distros for too long and they are HELL. All analog outputs works fine in Retail, except Digital Out got only 2ch. Mic Rear seems to work as Line In.

Can you tell me where you bought your components? I'm looking for a decent vendor. I'm in the UK.

How to build a MAC running Leopard 10.5.2

This Step by Step guide will show you how to build a fully functional MAC from standard PC components, ideal for those who always wanted to try mac but didn't really want to splash out on one, and those that don't want to splash out on an 8 Core Mac Pro, at the end of the day if you don't like it can can just install windows and you will have a fully functioning PC, but I won't be going into Dual Booting Windows/MAC.

Once built your system will perform just like a MAC, so no crashes and fully working standby mode, if you follow the guide step by step then you will be happy with the end result.

What You Need...

Hardware

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2L (£33)

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6420 (£117) any Core 2 Duo Listed here should work, but the E6420 runs very cool

Memory: 2 X 1024MB sticks of DDR2 667 (£31) you can use less but I don't recommend it

Graphics: PNY Nvidia 7600GT (£70) any brand 7600GT should be fine as long as it is 256MB and PCI-E

Hard Drive: SATA (£50) at Least 80GB

Optical Drive: SATA DVDRW (£22)

Other Stuff: PSU/Case (£100)

Software

Kalway Leopard DVD 10.5.1 "KALWAY_LEO_10.5.1_intel_SSE2_SSE3" This is the Mac OS Leopard DVD which has been modified to run on a PC

Kalway Combo Update "KalywayUpdCombo10.5.2.pkg" 10.5.2 System Update

Kalway Kernel Update "kalyway_10.5.2_kernels.mpkg" Kernel Update so system runs without any hiccups

Graphics Driver

Network Driver

Audio Patch

- BUILD MACHINE-

Please note this board has 4 SATA ports but only two Master Ports SATA 0, SATA 1 so you need to make sure your pirmary hard drive and optical drive are attached to these ports, if not

you will get problems.. i.e not being able to read or write discs

OS Install

1 - Setup BIOS as shown in screenshots below

Bios Screenshot 1

Bios Screenshot 2

Bios Screenshot 3

Bios Screenshot 4

Bios Screenshot 5

Bios Screenshot 6

Bios Screenshot 7

2 - Insert Disc, when the text comes up to press any key to boot it press any key, now wait 5 minutes or so till the disc fully boots

3 - Once your onto the welcome screen open up disc utility, select your hard drive and go to "ERASE" then Erase it [Screenshot 1] [Screenshot 2]

4 - Now In Disc Utility Select the "PARTITION" tab, Select "1 Partition" and Name it "MacDrive", Select Format "Mac Os Extended Journaled" , do not press apply yet [Screenshot]

- Select "OPTIONS" and choose Partition Scheme "GUID Partition Table", press OK [Screenshot]

- Now Press APPLY to Format the Partition, once done close disc Utility

5 - Now onto installing the OS, select the drive to install it to "MacDrive" and press Continue [Screenshot]

- From the Install Summary Window select "Customize" and tick all the options shown below, i.e Vanilla_Kernel, Vanilla_ACPI_fix, AZALIA_out, BOOT_efi_guid then hit DONE, from Install Summery window press INSTALL [Screenshot] [Screenshot 2]

6 - Now complete the rest of the steps to start the install, should be done in 15 minutes and you should be greeted with Successful Install Message if it worked out ok.., if not repeat steps 1-5 again and double check what you type/select eg. in BIOS

7 - After the Successful install message the system will reboot as soon as it does and the POST screen comes up remove the cd as you no longer need it, now wait till the OS boots, you might get a blank screen but be patient, do not restart

Patches

- Now the OS should be booted install graphics and network drivers then restart

1 - Once rebooted and mac os has loaded insert your USB or cd with the 10.5.2 combo update and run KalywayUpdCombo10.5.2.pkg, restart the computer, you will be greeted with a blank or blue screen for a few minutes, then the system will reboot but this is normal so don't worry

- You will get a blank/bluescreen for a few minutes so be patient and don't restart, usually last 2-3 minutes

- Once your the OS has loaded open disc utility and "repair permissions", restart the system [Screenshot]

2 - Install the Kalway Kernel Update "kalyway_10.5.2_kernels.mpkg", choose the "Kernel_Vanilla" option as shown in screenshot, then restart the pc [Screenshot]

3 - Run Software Update and install the updates as needed, refer to screenshot, try to avoid major system ones just the ones you need i.e use logic [Screenshot]

4 - Now install the Audio Patch, please note the sound "Line out" is already working so only install the patch if you need mic/line in and spdif out but doing so will disable the slider voulme control, so you can only control the volume in the app you are using eg.. itunes..

5 - Install any other drivers you need, and then your apps, you can run any app that works on a bog standard Intel mac and supports Leopard, also run the software update after installing apps as some of them need to be updated in order to run propeprly, eg... ilife, turn off apple update, only turn it on when you need to update...

You now have a fully working mac, with working sleep function, try putting it to sleep, mine goes to sleep in 2 seconds and wakes up in about 5, no probs at all, no messing with bios functions or drivers unlike pc's.. I recommend Purchasing Elgato Eytv and a supported TV Tuner, much better experience than MCE, as the system can be completely off and it will still wake up to record scheduled recordings, something a pc can not do..

Enjoy...

Hardware Upgrades

Your limited when it comes to hardware expansion/upgrades, their are a lot of PCI-E cards that work, eg.. Capture Cards/SATA Controllers just got to check the manufactures site for Leopard Drivers. Since the Intel Mac's don't have any PCI slots their all PCI-E most PCI cards won't work since nobody bothers writing drivers for them.

If your looking for a Wifi Card then the D-Link DWA-547 is reported as working, it's PCI and detected as an Official Airport Express Card so you won't have any trouble, there are other Wifi cards that work both PCI/USB but their not detected as Airport Cards instead they act as wired ethernet cards to the system and come with a 3rd Party Wireless Utility

There are a few USB sound cards that work, but Macs always had basic audio, the Line Out on it is good enough for me, but if you want something with a few more inputs/outputs then try this EDIROL UA-1EX

If you need a bluetooth adapter then this works without any drivers Asus WL-BTD201M

For a list of compatible hardware then check out this page, feel free to add to it OSx86 HCL 10.5.2

• 4 weeks later...

Gimme More, no need to quote a long post just to ask something that you could find out with 20 seconds and Google yourself!?!?!?!

Now, on topic, can I ask "Is everyone using SATA DVD and Hard Disk for their installs? I want to use this mobo for another application as well and would like to install OSX using IDE DVD and IDE Hard Disk. Anyone done that?"

Also, anyone overclocking with this board? Any good?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again. I did the update on 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 and all is working fine only the sound..

Before in 10.5.5. the sound was more clear and I had also the input..

I followed all the instructions here but whatever I do..I can't get any input or even a clean good sound output.

Any ideas?

Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2L

No one can give a newbie a little hint how to get the sound input-output working?

Come on people lets help each other?

Look for Occijano's audio patch in this forum. He and many other people have extensively contributed to this community to make drivers for AlC 662 audio. I hope you are lucky because I am about to try to update my system from 10,5,1 to 10,5,6, if you have any good advice, share with me, thank you!

Look for Occijano's audio patch in this forum. He and many other people have extensively contributed to this community to make drivers for AlC 662 audio. I hope you are lucky because I am about to try to update my system from 10,5,1 to 10,5,6, if you have any good advice, share with me, thank you!

Hi yes I did that but its not working.

Also FCP is not working any more as it says there is no memory enough (0kb) I have 4 Gigs of DDR so I guess if no solution on this problem I will return back to 10.5.5

I will try to install from scratch on my GA-945GCM-S2L

With Gforce 8600 GT 512MB

Which one to choice as I have both of them iPC OSX86 10.5.6 or IDeneb 1.4?

Any ideas you can give me and which drivers to choice at the beginning of the setup?

Thanks in advance!!!

Well thanks to nizam1205 I installed everything so see his post just up en few postings..

I used iPC 10.5.6 and it went very smooth but I would not advise you to use the DVD kext for the Nvidia 8600 GT but use EFIstudio, just Google and download.

For me all is working fine, sleep, reboot, audio in and out, digital out, duals screen with original resolutions, screen saver and so on..

Again nizam1205, thanks a lot.